Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
"Instead of this universally loved thing that everybody likes, they should have used this obscure niche thing that only I care about and, if I'm being honest, I don't even like that much." Is like the noumenal version of a goon take on any piece of media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There were literally people complaining about R2-D2 showing up, smdh.

In fairness, it was dumb as hell that R2 left the X-Wing, rolled down the hall, and took the elevator just to have a staring contest with Grogu.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My iimm from the end of the last episode of The Mandalorian season 2 was that as the elevator closed it didn't instantly cut to the original Star Wars theme with a starry background, with the name of the director in neon blue text. It felt more Star Wars than anything else in the series up to that point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think I would have been fine if they left it where they did with the one episode on Tattooine, where Timothy Olyphant shows up wearing Boba Fett's armor but it doesn't fit at all and then at the end there's a shot of a beat up scarred guy played by Temuera Morrison and you can infer who it is.

The really egregious poo poo is Dark Troopers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole 'incel nerd love the joker' thing is even dumber than that, it came from the Gang Weed memes meant to make fun of incels and alt-righters, that somehow convinced people that the Joker must be an actual alt-right icon and a movie that happens to be about alienation and mental illness would obviously cause them to start shooting people... for some reason.

But yeah, as for the Joker himself, perhaps fittingly the character very rarely has anything resembling a coherent backstory. Closest thing that BTAS had (which would have a reason or two to go with the Jack Napier origin, but they never went into detail on that outside the tie-in comics) was Mask of the Phantasm having him start out as a quiet grinning gangster who was actually kinda more creepy than the full on Joker. The comics have recently actually started doing things apparently with that one reveal that there's three active Jokers all at the same time. Some comics have implied that the Joker isn't a person so much as a phenomenon.

I thought that Gotham's take on the Joker (AKA Jerome and Jeremiah Valesca) was entertaining partially because of the strength of the actor they got to play him but also they did every version of him basically all at once - Jerome was the "no plans just chaos" type of classic joker, then when he drove his brother Jeremiah insane Jeremiah became the super-sane variant, pure plan with no emotion holding him back as he planned on turning the city into a labyrinth with controlled demolitions.

Then between those, Jerome broadcasts a raid on the GCPD and basically preaches his philosophy creating the Phenomenon variant in the Cult of Joker (which was very Batman of the Future) out of people who felt trapped in bad situations who felt a kind of freedom and kinship is just letting go and stopping giving a poo poo about things they couldn't control, like a child who was watching at the time while his parents were fighting in the next room - His parents were uncaring assholes who neglected him and abused each other, and he found a kind of escape in finding it funny instead.

Then Jerome dies and gets resurrected by said cult, who cut his face off thinking he's dead to turn it into a mask and so you get the New-52 Garbage Edgy Joker but with a less stupid and more fun reason for having his face stapled to his head.

That's four different versions of the same idea played by the same actor and he was having SO much fun in the role.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I went to see Joker at like 2PM during a workday shortly after it opened. I was already a handle into the day so I'm sure I was a sweaty sexy mess. Anyway, a dude followed me into the theater. I thought that was really funny. He was wearing sun glasses, like a '70s hat and a trench coat that was a '70s shade of brown. I assumed the world's worst private security dude had followed my messy self in.

He started cranking it pretty soon into the movie. My pattern-forming brain thought there was a bad spy-cop following me in but it was just a random pervert.

God bless America.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

VinylonUnderground posted:

I went to see Joker at like 2PM during a workday shortly after it opened. I was already a handle into the day so I'm sure I was a sweaty sexy mess. Anyway, a dude followed me into the theater. I thought that was really funny. He was wearing sun glasses, like a '70s hat and a trench coat that was a '70s shade of brown. I assumed the world's worst private security dude had followed my messy self in.

He started cranking it pretty soon into the movie. My pattern-forming brain thought there was a bad spy-cop following me in but it was just a random pervert.

God bless America.

If you wanna catch the Joker you have to think like the Joker,

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rydiafan posted:

In fairness, it was dumb as hell that R2 left the X-Wing, rolled down the hall, and took the elevator just to have a staring contest with Grogu.

Yes, that 's definitely something that character, known for wandering off, getting poo poo done and having adventures would do.

R2 always stays by the ship like a good droid. He certainly couldn't possibly come in handy on an Imperial vessel in case something needed to be hacked. I mean, when has R2 even shown that he has an array of useful skills? Certainly not every single time he's appeared in film or TV.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it's ludicrous that a cameo by the single biggest name in the Star Wars universe might be accompanied by his most loyal companion. That makes no sense at all.

"Stay by the ship." loving lol.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah, there are a poo poo load of really weird takes about the latest series.

I mean, this is the irrationally irritating moments thread, and that is pretty irrational.

(also it looked pretty likely that Grogu recognised him, or at least had some affinity to him, so him being there made sense story wise as well).

Who cares, the series is fun as hell. All the bits of fan service dont go too far - if you know about them its great, if you dont its no big deal at all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

The really egregious poo poo is Dark Troopers.

What about Dark Troopers requires so much power that they can't just be ready at all times? It's not foot rockets - poo poo just levitates with no source of external power in the Star Wars universe. It's not their blasters. They are strong, but so was that smart aleck robot from Rogue One and he didn't need to be hooked up to fuel tubes like a Y-Wing getting ready for take-off.

Best I could tell is they have really good armor that stands up to everything except a dirty look from a light saber.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Memento posted:

My iimm from the end of the last episode of The Mandalorian season 2 was

Mando didn't pull the control knob ball from his pocket and hold it up for baby yoda to fast force grab down the corridor just before the elevator doors shut; BY is confident enough to show his powers in front of people, Luke and Mando both smile, elevator door shuts, theme music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, that 's definitely something that character, known for wandering off, getting poo poo done and having adventures would do.

R2 always stays by the ship like a good droid. He certainly couldn't possibly come in handy on an Imperial vessel in case something needed to be hacked. I mean, when has R2 even shown that he has an array of useful skills? Certainly not every single time he's appeared in film or TV.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it's ludicrous that a cameo by the single biggest name in the Star Wars universe might be accompanied by his most loyal companion. That makes no sense at all.

"Stay by the ship." loving lol.

It’s impossible not to read this in the Comic Book Guy voice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Raised By Wolves the kid has a different accent than his parental figures despite being isolated with them his whole life.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s impossible not to read this in the Comic Book Guy voice.

It is possible because I totally read it in the Henchman 21 voice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

In Raised By Wolves the kid has a different accent than his parental figures despite being isolated with them his whole life.

This is pretty common with child actors in general. Child labour laws and the practicalities of it with having to have kids living near where they're filming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In The Queen's Gambit the child version of Beth had a vaguely British sounding accent and there were zero characters that sounded like they were from anywhere near Kentucky.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My IIMM for the Mandolorian, it should have been Kal Kestis goddamn it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Greenland:

OK, I get that there wasn't too much time to plan, but could they really not come up with a better system than the EAM and wristband system? Basically all of Gerard's problems were caused by them somehow not realizing that having those wristbands on made them huge targets. Also how could the government have missed the kid having diabeetus? He has an insulin pump on, that definitely should have showed up on the records search.

and going back to the early part - why wasn't Gerard more insistent about them getting to the base after the phonecall? The wife is like "probably just a test" but the thing literally said "this is not a test". Cancel the party and GTFO. also don't stop for the neighbors when you know you can't take them. It just makes it awkward. It's not going to make them feel any better to hear "nope, text said I can't, sorry". You driving around them and getting out conveys the same message without wasting valuable time.

also why didn't they just fly a drill up to the thing and bruce willis it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whenever we see text in Star Wars properties, it’s in an alphabet made up for the series that does not resemble the Roman alphabet at all. But they have ships called X-Wing and Y-Wing because they’re shaped like our letters X and Y. I just looked up the Star Wars alphabet and incidentally it does have a character that looks like Y. It represents V sounds.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn’t they cover half the alphabet by the end of the first trilogy? I know there were also A-wings and B-wings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t they cover half the alphabet by the end of the first trilogy? I know there were also A-wings and B-wings.

There’s even an Alphabet Squadron book that came out last year!

Apparently the Star Wars alphabet first appeared on screen in Return of the Jedi, and then “Aurebesh” was invented for an RPG in 1993 and that’s what we see in modern properties.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If there are two suns on Tatooine, which one does the planet orbit?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Probably the bigger one, but there are planets known to orbit both (circumbinary planets).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At the very least the buttons on a SNES controller!

I'm surprised there was never a Star Wars official shmup.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Probably the bigger one, but there are planets known to orbit both (circumbinary planets).

In Star Wars or in reality?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In Star Wars or in reality?

In reality. Maybe in star war the force makes it orbit neither or something who knows.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I did not know that, thank you small duck.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s even an Alphabet Squadron book that came out last year!

Apparently the Star Wars alphabet first appeared on screen in Return of the Jedi, and then “Aurebesh” was invented for an RPG in 1993 and that’s what we see in modern properties.

Weird, I thought I remembered weird letter squiggles when Luke was keying in the poo poo for the dagobah system in esb.

Always reminded me of the predator countdown gauntlet.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Nah, there were just four.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some of the EU stuff went into additional Rebellion ship types. E-wings I think were particularly lovely and antiquated.

One of the funnier ideas is 'Uglies', ships thrown together from bits and pieces of old ones, with the X-Tie (an X-Wing's central cockpit with a TIE fighter's aerofoil thingies) being considered a marriage of old enemies with the worst of both.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Seems more likely the planet would orbit the central point around which both stars orbit, which potentially makes for some wacky situations like having a night only a couple degrees wide.

The other way, like a centauri situation, can lead to a star casting light on all parts of the planet, meaning no night at all.

Science is cool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The X, A, B, Y wing fighters don’t require the Roman alphabet just a Star Wars Super Nintendo system.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm really liking the Mandalorian, but I think it's time to impose a moratorium on the seven samurai plot.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
To be fair the Mandalorian also does Yojimbo, Lone Wolf and Cub and like every other possible lone wanderer/samurai/gunfighter film as often as possible. It's great.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
On Star Trek, if translators are used to communicate with alien species, why does their lip sync match up with dialogue?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hardcordion posted:

On Star Trek, if translators are used to communicate with alien species, why does their lip sync match up with dialogue?

Holograms

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The translators defaults to being set up to be accessible for lipreading as well.

The sign language mode looks wild.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TGG posted:

To be fair the Mandalorian also does Yojimbo, Lone Wolf and Cub and like every other possible lone wanderer/samurai/gunfighter film as often as possible. It's great.

Yeah, but the seven samurai has been done to death and no one seems capable of doing something new to it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Watched Soul today. For a Pixar film, was about as good as....Brave, maybe? I mean, not every movie can be as good as The Incredibles or Monsters Inc.

Cute premise, fun animation, predictable twist, but I was really waiting for some extra in the credits. Some little postcards or something appearing in Joe's little memory thing of all the new poo poo he did besides jazz, like, I don't know, skygliding or talking to that girl or starting his own band, something else! Or at least some poo poo of where 22 ended up. Nope. All open to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i probably mentioned it before, but in Love, Actually its pretty hosed up how most of the relationships are male boss/female employee (prime minister/catering girl, author/maid, boss/secretary, etc)

and the subplot with the dude who's in love with his buddy's new wife, which fine, it happens, but like a total rear end in a top hat he tells her that he will love her until they grow old (that scene where he has caroling music and does a bob dylan written card thing). what a cock. she didnt need to know that at all.

also that guy is rick from walking dead which is pretty lol