Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Me getting head: Let's disco dance, Hammurabi!

e: lol best snipe of this blessed christmas day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I actually find it really easy to imagine Katherine Hepburn saying all that. Actually, Katherine Hepburn as a gangster lead in a lesbian pulp novel sounds like the kind of over-thought fanfic you end up reading at 3am over a pancake combo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

there wolf posted:

I actually find it really easy to imagine Katherine Hepburn saying all that. Actually, Katherine Hepburn as a gangster lead in a lesbian pulp novel sounds like the kind of over-thought fanfic you end up reading at 3am over a pancake combo.

Katherine Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman as two sides of a gang war in a lesbian pulp movie. Humphrey Bogart’s there too. He doesn’t get either girl but it’s still nice to have him around all the same

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I want to go back to why they grow rhubarb in a dark room in the UK. Here in :911: we grow it outdoors and it seems to work fine? Or is it like robins, where two roughly visually similar but biologically very different things are called by the same name?

Thank you in advance. I knew a dude in grad school who was from Nottingham and who said he had worked at an underground mushroom farm on the edge of Sherwood Forest. I don’t want that to be fake :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Supposedly it grow larger in no or low light. No idea if that's true.

Edit: they explain it under "cultivation" on this page. I guess the aren't grown inside entirely.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Dec 25, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They grow outdoors/in light as normal for a while, and then they shove them into a dark shed.
Plant goes: Oh! It's dark here! I should try to grow out of here.
And they dedicate most of their resources to just growing as hard as they can in the hope that they can reach some more light.

Otherwise they'll spend their energy and resources growing their root system to get bigger and better for the next hear.

Basically they're tricking the plants into growing the parts they want to harvest, instead of the roots.
And since they'll have a couple years of energy stored up in the root networks, they can grow pretty quick when they need to.

It just sounds like magic if you disregard the part where they grow the plants for years in normal lighting,(thus giving them an energy reserve) and then just pop 'em in the dark to get as much rhubarb as possible.

e: A lot of plants exhibit this behavior, because it understandably helps when other plants grow above them and cast shade.
Ever had a houseplant that grows really tall, with few leaves, while one of a same type in the window is pretty squat and has a ton of leaves in comparison? That's the plant trying to reach more sunlight, and burning all it's energy on growing tall.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Dec 25, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you!

So, why don’t we do it in the US? We seem to grow enough rhubarb the regular way. (Disclaimer: I hate rhubarb so honestly don’t pay attention to it.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/1342340086457888768?s=20

https://twitter.com/matttbastard/status/1342592226199789575?s=20

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Let me sing you the dry meats of my people.

Or, “Hard Brisket Christmas”.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“To each, his or her own”

Anthem of our age

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AlbieQuirky posted:

Thank you!

So, why don’t we do it in the US? We seem to grow enough rhubarb the regular way. (Disclaimer: I hate rhubarb so honestly don’t pay attention to it.)

I would guess it's the advantage of growing at a larger scale? It becomes cheaper to just let the plant grow than to try get as much as possible from each one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Forced Rhurbarb is a slightly different product, in the UK its almost exclusively grown in a single area. I would guess there's no market for forced rhubarb in the US, hence you don't grow it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
John Cornyn is a Senator from Texas we are allowed to make fun of his poo poo excuse for brisket

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Go to any of the LAN threads for states in the south, BBQ is going to be the most divisive topic you can throw out there. People have opinions about BBQ, and those will not be shaken.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Like"is barbeque a sandwich" and "why don't people spell it correctly, with a Q"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

John Cornyn is a Senator from Texas we are allowed to make fun of his poo poo excuse for brisket

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1342590616895696899?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

you can't do that and not link the beef jerky w/ketchup

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1342272236099661824?s=20

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Icon Of Sin posted:

Go to any of the LAN threads for states in the south, BBQ is going to be the most divisive topic you can throw out there. People have opinions about BBQ, and those will not be shaken.

I believe at the least we can all agree it should be done on a smoker or grill and not dried out in the oven.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Brisket is the state food of Texas. There exists no acceptable version that results in whatever that is. A shameful meat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

Do cox's orange pippins grow in your area? Ive read they are a very very region-specific apple so growing them outside their native area (England) is difficult. They are awesome little apples, very fragrant and delicious.
They don't officially grow in the area, but I have one in my garden I grew from a twig graft about 15 years ago. It fruited for the first time last year. They're wonderful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I mean, there's different kinds of bbq. Some folks like mustard based and some like tomato based and I like mayonnaise based.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i dunno about y'all but i usually go for the meat-based bbq

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/chigbarg/status/1342273905579368448?s=20

Music was completely bereft of any emotion prior to the late 18th century.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

https://twitter.com/CowardsRatio/status/1342314458517934081

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Every part of every country has a dish over which the natives will engage in fisticuffs while debating the True and Honorable preparation of it. Everywhere has its own equivalent, and in most of the southern US it's BBQ. That tweet may harm his re-election chances.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The only thing I will argue about is that a grill should not be called a barbeque. Sorry Canadians.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

I want to go back to why they grow rhubarb in a dark room in the UK. Here in :911: we grow it outdoors and it seems to work fine? Or is it like robins, where two roughly visually similar but biologically very different things are called by the same name?

Thank you in advance. I knew a dude in grad school who was from Nottingham and who said he had worked at an underground mushroom farm on the edge of Sherwood Forest. I don’t want that to be fake :colbert:

Sherwood forest is actually a bit of a distance from Nottingham but the city has many many caves so it's quite possibly true.

Nottingham caves are great to visit it you ever go there. More so the secret ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syd Midnight posted:

Every part of every country has a dish over which the natives will engage in fisticuffs while debating the True and Honorable preparation of it. Everywhere has its own equivalent, and in most of the southern US it's BBQ. That tweet may harm his re-election chances.

Their other senator is Ted Cruz.

Texas is totally cool with electing foreign lickspittles.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

orange juche posted:

you can't do that and not link the beef jerky w/ketchup

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1342272236099661824?s=20
Yo what the gently caress, from the thumbnail of the image I thought that red stuff was like, the meat. Like it was really rare inside. I didn't think it was ketchup.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ever had German white asparagus vs American green asparagus? Different growing techniques make different products.

Something you may be more familiar with is cannabis. Controlled cannabis in a darkroom with clear light/dark cycles vs outdoor cannabis are very different.

There isn't a "better" one they are just different and people will pay a premium for both depending on how you swindle them.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It looks like the sauce you top meatloaf with

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That meat hasn't been grilled. It looks oven-cooked, based on how the sauce has coagulated and the lack of mess on the dish. I've had oven-cooked ribs that aren't a monstrosity before, but there's no saving those. It does look like meatloaf recipe ... on ribs.

Worse, the tray these were baked on wasn't good enough for serving them and they decided upon an even fancier piece of glassware.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Worse, the tray these were baked on wasn't good enough for serving them and they decided upon an even fancier piece of glassware.

That was 100% baked in that dish dry with a thin layer of lovely BBQ sauce on top. For reference a good brisket is smoked for half a day at least.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There TXpol thread in dnd has been dragging Cornyn about his brisket since the tweet went out. Good chat takes up about 40% of that thread, with bbq being a solid bit of that.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Atticus_1354 posted:

That was 100% baked in that dish dry with a thin layer of lovely BBQ sauce on top. For reference a good brisket is smoked for half a day at least.

The dish is way too clean for that. It was baked in a dish *like* that dish. Possibly identical. But it was transferred to that dish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What kind of politician decides to go and weigh in on a non-political but thoroughly divisive issue for no god drat reason

"I know, I think I'll spend Christmas antagonizing 50% of my support base. Picard rules, Kirk drools"

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
My understanding is that the hardcore revanchist faction in Texas is mostly neo-carpetbaggers. Indigenous Texas politics is weird as hell and absolutely Republican, but the new strain builds off that and like all new adopters takes the cowboy Texan aesthetic and Republicanism to the nth degree.

That's Cruz's base and presumably this dude's as well. So, he needs to do a BBQ. That his BBQ is an offense to proper Texans doesn't matter, the fact that he is doing a BBQ is sufficient for his base.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If only people born in Texas were allowed to vote, O’Rourke would have won in 2018.

Lifelong Texans are disproportionately Hispanic and disproportionately hate Ted Cruz.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Pretty sure it was baked in that dish, it was put in the oven raw, without any sort of sauce or seasonings, then cooked uncovered until any color was removed from it, then topped with the sauce, maybe pure ketchup, maybe a heavily ketchup based barbecue sauce mix, then put back in under the broiler for a few minutes to extract any remaining moisture. I can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

North Carolina has the best BBQ anyway. :colbert: