Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I folded some of the generic paper sleeves I replaced to use as dividers on my shelf, gotta be a little careful pulling the records next to them out but they were gonna get recycled anyway.

Now that I think about it I might try cutting up mailers to use instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Photex posted:

anyone have any sub $100 recommended full wash cleaning kits? I've noticed a lot of the new records I've been getting lately have been the dirtiest things ever and my cheap kit isn't cutting it anymore.

Spin clean.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Finally received my Ghost Funk Orchestra record after a month in limbo. Surprisingly in perfect condition.

Just in time for me to make a new mix. Pretty chill stuff to hang out and open presents to. All vinyl. Except the first tune which I recorded for this year's S.A. Christmas Album "Jingle is Stored in the Bells".

The Awful Christmas tunes can be found here.

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/sets/sa-awful-xmas-2020

My mix is here.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/psychedelic-christmas-tree-vol-2/

I will be giving away another record but I want to wait till the holiday crush is over at the post office so I will announce the rules next week.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Well gently caress.

My Technics SL-D303 is running slow. Got it off of Craigslist like 7 years ago for $99 and it's served me well up to this point. In the past year, I've been noticing a gradual slowing of it for a little bit, but it was like a 1% difference / not enough to affect enjoyment.

All of a sudden, put some records on today... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's a problem. Feel's like a 10% slowdown (at 33rpm for reference). Played a digital file of the same songs to make sure I'm not crazy, and lo & behold I'm not.

Another thing I noticed is occasionally the 33 & 45 buttons will both be on when trying to switch between speeds.

Is my turntable dying? If not, how can I fix this so I don't have to drop like $400 for a new one.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 26, 2020

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Well gently caress.

My Technics SL-D303 is running slow. Got it off of Craigslist like 7 years ago for $99 and it's served me well up to this point. In the past year, I've been noticing a gradual slowing of it for a little bit, but it was like a 1% difference / not enough to affect enjoyment.

All of a sudden, put some records on today... [i]aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand[i/] it's a problem. Feel's like a 10% slowdown (at 33rpm for reference). Played a digital file of the same songs to make sure I'm not crazy, and lo & behold I'm not.

Another thing I noticed is occasionally the 33 & 45 buttons will both be on when trying to switch between speeds.

Is my turntable dying? If not, how can I fix this so I don't have to drop like $400 for a new one.

Have you tried messing with the pitch control? Otherwise you might have to open it up and clean the pots? I dunno about getting in the guts but googling "direct drive turntable slow" yielded some results you might try out

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Soul is out today and as usual Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did a pretty good job. Just picked up a copy of this for in-store pick up, might want to check nearby or have it shipped:

https://www.target.com/p/soundtrack...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was just flipping through Target's selection 'cause I got a gift card and what they're stocking doesn't line up with the majority of my interests (and the prices are trash), but I gotta admit, I kind of want this just for the cover:

Flawless.

This genuine Christmas miracle hit my door though, courtesy of my best friend who knows just what I need:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

IG-88 posted:

Soul is out today and as usual Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross did a pretty good job. Just picked up a copy of this for in-store pick up, might want to check nearby or have it shipped:

https://www.target.com/p/soundtrack...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gotta get the Jon Batiste half of the soundtrack too

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ropeadope is running a 50% sale on Bandcamp right now:

https://twitter.com/ropeadope/status/1342484863484645376?s=21

Good time to pick up Mark de Clive-Lowe’s Heritage Vol. 1 and 2 for 11 bux each.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

pwn posted:

I picked up my Target copy and it's pretty nice. A gatefold and a custom inner sleeve. Sounds good too.

I need that other half though, drat.

edit: 1-2 months via Amazon. Ordered. Thank you.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

I’ll be honest I barely noticed the Reznor/Ross stuff. Maybe a bit too ambient for my taste.

The Jazz stuff, on the other hand... that one I might have to pick up.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

It's alright dude. Sometimes we like things and sometimes we don't. `

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I picked up both albums because I liked both things.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

It's alright dude. Sometimes we like things and sometimes we don't. `

Video game soundtracks?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Video game soundtracks?

I think we can all agree on mega man 2.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Needlejuice is goon owned right? Wanna pick up that Gizzard Wizard

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What's the model number of that old Marantz receiver that isn't crazy expensive and is there any tangible benefit to having one other than it looks cool?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

sporklift posted:

Needlejuice is goon owned right? Wanna pick up that Gizzard Wizard

idk how active on sa he is anymore but yeah it’s run by weirdojace. I just got my copy of view-monster from them a couple of days ago it came out great!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yes weirdojace i know it’s been answered but i just got done spending forever looking it up so I’m going to use the information.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

My wife got me a nice turntable with a built-in pre-amp for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what the best setup would be for the audio chain. I've currently got it hooked up to my desktop speakers, but what I really want to it set it up in the corner of my office with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm leaning towards going for smaller speakers but really good quality. I'm kind of stuck on whether or not I should get a standalone amp to feed passive speakers or buy powered ones.

I don't really intend to build out a big hi-fi system there -- I'll mainly stream my music most of the time -- since the little corner setup will be when I want to just sit down and chill with a nice album. I guess that has me leaning towards a pair of self-powered speakers to keep it simple. Maybe something like the Genelec G-Ones if I can even find them. Just wondering if you guys might have some input on this or some Goon Lore to share before I make the jump?

Listening to my little LP set even just plugged into my desktop monitors is sounding so nice already. I know about Nyquist sampling theory and all that stuff, but I'll be damned if my ears aren't hearing a major difference in sound.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

former glory posted:

My wife got me a nice turntable with a built-in pre-amp for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what the best setup would be for the audio chain. I've currently got it hooked up to my desktop speakers, but what I really want to it set it up in the corner of my office with a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm leaning towards going for smaller speakers but really good quality. I'm kind of stuck on whether or not I should get a standalone amp to feed passive speakers or buy powered ones.

I don't really intend to build out a big hi-fi system there -- I'll mainly stream my music most of the time -- since the little corner setup will be when I want to just sit down and chill with a nice album. I guess that has me leaning towards a pair of self-powered speakers to keep it simple. Maybe something like the Genelec G-Ones if I can even find them. Just wondering if you guys might have some input on this or some Goon Lore to share before I make the jump?

Listening to my little LP set even just plugged into my desktop monitors is sounding so nice already. I know about Nyquist sampling theory and all that stuff, but I'll be damned if my ears aren't hearing a major difference in sound.

If you’re going to be switching back and forth between sources you might want a receiver and passive speakers. And good speakers start at about 50 lbs a piece IMO. The heavier the better.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 29, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I saw these on instagram yesterday and now I really want to neaten up my shelves.

Yesterday they were $3 per cube, which I thought was expensive, and today they rose the price to $4 per cube. I'm not inclined to pay $80 to neaten up my shelves. Basically it's just a piece of plastic that goes behind the records so they are evenly spaced.

Does anyone have any alternative ideas for something that could work to achieve the same effect? I have basic tools and I'm handy, but I don't have any power tools.

They're available here if you're not a cheap rear end like me. I tried weather sealing tape back in the day and it didn't work very well.

https://turntablerevival.com/collections/shop-extras/products/backspacer?variant=33116368633936

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dowels and screws?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I saw these on instagram yesterday and now I really want to neaten up my shelves.

Yesterday they were $3 per cube, which I thought was expensive, and today they rose the price to $4 per cube. I'm not inclined to pay $80 to neaten up my shelves. Basically it's just a piece of plastic that goes behind the records so they are evenly spaced.

Does anyone have any alternative ideas for something that could work to achieve the same effect? I have basic tools and I'm handy, but I don't have any power tools.

They're available here if you're not a cheap rear end like me. I tried weather sealing tape back in the day and it didn't work very well.

https://turntablerevival.com/collections/shop-extras/products/backspacer?variant=33116368633936

Funny, I was literally doing this last night. I used this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-5-8-in-x-5-8-in-x-8-ft-Nail-On-Plastic-Corner-Guard-Residential-01834/202061351

It's super cheap. I just used cutters to make the lengths I needed for each cube. Initially I used black tape to stick them down, but over the years they started shifting, and there actually wasn't a great way to tape them in the position I wanted. So last night I got a drill out and just screwed each one down in two places. Without power tools... I suppose you could nail them.

edit: I should say, my Kallax are not up against a wall so I needed something that would attach to the shelves, rather than something to just shove back into the wall as a spacer.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 29, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I'm thinking I might grab a cheap saw, some 5 gallon paint sticks to cut to size, and some double sided tape. It's a lot cheaper all in than the dedicated spacers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh yeah I just looked at those last night. I have been planning on doing something like that for a while but I am just gonna use some 1x2 boards and screw them into the shelf. You could paint them too but since they are behind my records I probably won't bother.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-in-x-2-in-x-2-ft-Actual-0-75-in-x-1-5-in-x-2-ft-Poplar-Board/1000073907

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

drat, I'm getting into Das Racist now and I'm disappointed that Sit Down, Man isn't on vinyl :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last time I went to IKEA, I was so annoyed that most of their shelves had no back. Terrible terrible design.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have the opposite problem. I got this nice shelf that's made of actual solid wood. It's very well crafted and it does have a back on it. What I didn't know when I ordered it is that it's just slightly not wide enough so the edges of the records stick out a little. Not the end of the world, but I wasn't expecting that. I'm certainly not going to remove the back. It's also braced to the wall.

This shelf was to catch the overflow from the big shelf and I still have more poo poo. Help.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 30, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

BigFactory posted:

If you’re going to be switching back and forth between sources you might want a receiver and passive speakers. And good speakers start at about 50 lbs a piece IMO. The heavier the better.

I'm leaning this way now. May as well do it right and have it be flexible, plus there's a shop nearby that has a pair I like on boxing day sale. :v:

Hopefully this arrives in good shape.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got something new:

Tori Amos - Christmastide

And something old/new:

The soundtrack for Outland (still sealed)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Trip report: 5 gallon paint stir sticks work really well when you cut them to size.

Only problem I encountered was that I have my kallax fixed to the wall and the right side is a little further from the wall than the left, so my plan of using a second stick to make the gaps the same didn't work out long term and I'll have to fix 2 or 3 of the rightmost cubes. The rest worked out really well.

I spent $18 on the supplies, the especially made backs were $72 with tax and shipping at $3 each.

Two sticks down to measure:

One stick left after being taped down:

Top row done, second row not done for comparison:

Full complete:

Took me about an hour to do.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Why not just tape the sticks across the back? Are the kallaxes flush against the wall where you don’t want to add the extra millimeters?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
That looks fantastic. Very well done.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

Why not just tape the sticks across the back? Are the kallaxes flush against the wall where you don’t want to add the extra millimeters?

I wanted the records to be flush with the front of the Kallax.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I wanted the records to be flush with the front of the Kallax.

Ah, ok. I thought this was a “don’t fall out the back” thing

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Trip report: 5 gallon paint stir sticks work really well when you cut them to size.

Only problem I encountered was that I have my kallax fixed to the wall and the right side is a little further from the wall than the left, so my plan of using a second stick to make the gaps the same didn't work out long term and I'll have to fix 2 or 3 of the rightmost cubes. The rest worked out really well.

I spent $18 on the supplies, the especially made backs were $72 with tax and shipping at $3 each.

Two sticks down to measure:

One stick left after being taped down:

Top row done, second row not done for comparison:

Full complete:

Took me about an hour to do.
Alphabetical order and sub grouped by reverse chronology.....nice

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some of those are probably doubles.

It looks good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Did you make the table look like a big record on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Alright. Got another record giveaway for the new year. Rules are pretty much the same.

1. Go to https://mixcloud.com/mawesome
2. Leave a comment on one of my mixes

That's it. I would appreciate if you actually listened and gave feedback but it is not required.

Here is the record I am giving away.

Giveaway is only open to U.S. residents.

I will draw the name on 1/5/2020

sporklift fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 30, 2020