Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Where does the Witcher 3 fall on the difficulty curve? I’m bouncing off dark souls at the boss at the end of anor Londo. I guess I have less of an appetite for “gettin gud” then I did back in college.

I don’t mind dying or a decent challenge but dark souls is just kinda pissing me off and the more story centric vibe of Witcher sounds like just what the doctors ordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I bounced hard on Witcher's difficulty like 3 times. Then the 4th time, determined to get into the damned thing I chucked it on story mode until the game "clicked". Now I am on top difficulty and not struggling much at all.
If you're good at games, normal (story and sword) is probably fine! I'm bad at games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has multiple difficulty levels ranging from 'don't care about anything but the story' to 'gently caress you'. It's pretty easy on normal once you get a few skills.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiteski posted:

I bounced hard on Witcher's difficulty like 3 times. Then the 4th time, determined to get into the damned thing I chucked it on story mode until the game "clicked". Now I am on top difficulty and not struggling much at all.
If you're good at games, normal (story and sword) is probably fine! I'm bad at games.

Honestly I’d recommend story even if you’re good at games since the gameplay is easily the weakest part of Witcher.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

as funny as it would be at first, i don't think mdickie's religion-based games would garner him a lot of love on the switch, assuming they somehow got ported and accepted to be sold. those games are ROUGH.

also i think nintendo might veto selling a game that just full-on depicts mohammed going around and like. doing things. i'm glad for him for his wrestling stuff, though.
I agree. On the other hand...

flavor.flv posted:

:yeah:

If you're not familiar with mdickie, he made this wrestling game, then an island survival game, then a prison life simulator and then a duology about the life and times of Jesus and the prophet Mohammed

The thing that makes his games great is that every time he made a new game he just added the new features into the previous game's engine, so you can be listening to the sermon on the mount when John the Baptist comes up to you, calls you a bitch for disrespecting him in the yard, powerbombs you and steals your firewood
I mean, that could just come down to translation differences. Who's to say that’s definitely not in the Bible? Jesus' followers were all flawed, they’re just human after all.

Len posted:

Okay but what if the arm in the trailer is the arm from a link from 10,000 years ago

So BotW Link and Zelda vs Zombie Link?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Honestly I’d recommend story even if you’re good at games since the gameplay is easily the weakest part of Witcher.

Yeah this. Knock it on easy and enjoy the story

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

japtor posted:

I agree. On the other hand...

I mean, that could just come down to translation differences. Who's to say that’s definitely not in the Bible? Jesus' followers were all flawed, they’re just human after all.

So BotW Link and Zelda vs Zombie Link?

I was thinking more like an Army of Darkness disembodied hand

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

hobbez posted:

Where does the Witcher 3 fall on the difficulty curve? I’m bouncing off dark souls at the boss at the end of anor Londo. I guess I have less of an appetite for “gettin gud” then I did back in college.

I don’t mind dying or a decent challenge but dark souls is just kinda pissing me off and the more story centric vibe of Witcher sounds like just what the doctors ordered

I would not have finished if I hadn't put it in easy mode. The combat was awful for me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spiteski posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

lol poo poo i would do it on story difficulty anyway because the parts where you play as ciri aren't strictly "hard" but she has fixed stats so you don't get the benefit of leveling up, and also she can't use healing items. no, not even food :shepface:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Been playing the Mario Kart Home Circuit today that Santa brought my daughter. As an AR videogame is amazing what they’ve accomplished, but it’s janky and kinda hard to beat the AI. As a toy, it’s fun as hell and highly recommended. You’re gonna want a decent sized living room to set it up in. My daughter loves it so far. She’s using it to drive all her other toys and figures around... :3:

I don't have anyone else to play it with during the pandemic, but I kind of want to buy a kart just to bother my cat.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

Been playing the Mario Kart Home Circuit today that Santa brought my daughter. As an AR videogame is amazing what they’ve accomplished, but it’s janky and kinda hard to beat the AI. As a toy, it’s fun as hell and highly recommended. You’re gonna want a decent sized living room to set it up in. My daughter loves it so far. She’s using it to drive all her other toys and figures around... :3:
:shobon:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Also put me in the 'witcher 3 gameplay mechanics felt like total poo poo on normal, put it on story and finished the game on hard' camp

Weird game in terms of how it feels to play for sure

Does the switch version of Overwatch have any kind of active playerbase? I saw a 'physical' copy dirt cheap and was thinking of picking it up because I really do like it but also the other console versions are dead as poo poo and I don't want to buy something to find out nobody is actually playing it

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Despite the mixed responses I got in this thread, I decided to pick up Octopath Traveler. After 30 minutes, though, it still hasn't started downloading. I assume this is a result of high traffic today, but has anyone else experienced this?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Despite the mixed responses I got in this thread, I decided to pick up Octopath Traveler. After 30 minutes, though, it still hasn't started downloading. I assume this is a result of high traffic today, but has anyone else experienced this?
Probably just traffic, but if you have a game open downloading can be hit or miss, so if you’re playing something try closing it and cross your fingers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

Do you have a game active in the background that uses online?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

It started downloading now. Thanks for letting me know about active games potentially slowing things down, though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flavor.flv posted:

If you're not familiar with mdickie, he made this wrestling game, then an island survival game, then a prison life simulator and then a duology about the life and times of Jesus and the prophet Mohammed

The thing that makes his games great is that every time he made a new game he just added the new features into the previous game's engine, so you can be listening to the sermon on the mount when John the Baptist comes up to you, calls you a bitch for disrespecting him in the yard, powerbombs you and steals your firewood

This is my first time hearing of him but he may be my new personal hero.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but: my partner got a Switch for Christmas and is having trouble downloading a gifted game through the eShop. She's created an account and redeemed the game code (so the 'Redownload' button shows up), but whenever she starts the download nothing happens. The button changes to say 'download started' but nothing appears on the home screen and on going back into the eShop just shows the download button again. I'm kind of confused as to what's going wrong :confused:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The download probably won't start if you're playing another game. Is that it?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Also put me in the 'witcher 3 gameplay mechanics felt like total poo poo on normal, put it on story and finished the game on hard' camp

Weird game in terms of how it feels to play for sure

Does the switch version of Overwatch have any kind of active playerbase? I saw a 'physical' copy dirt cheap and was thinking of picking it up because I really do like it but also the other console versions are dead as poo poo and I don't want to buy something to find out nobody is actually playing it

I would imagine it’s dead online. If you want to scratch the itch try Paladins for free.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

TACD posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but: my partner got a Switch for Christmas and is having trouble downloading a gifted game through the eShop. She's created an account and redeemed the game code (so the 'Redownload' button shows up), but whenever she starts the download nothing happens. The button changes to say 'download started' but nothing appears on the home screen and on going back into the eShop just shows the download button again. I'm kind of confused as to what's going wrong :confused:

If a game or another app is using any kind of connectivity in the background it won't download. Close whatever app you have open and give it a minute.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm having problems downloading and I don't have any active games. I downloaded hades a couple days ago so I'm really assuming nintendos servers are getting hammered

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I downloaded DMC3 in just a couple minutes. Must be a sporadic issue.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm having problems downloading and I don't have any active games. I downloaded hades a couple days ago so I'm really assuming nintendos servers are getting hammered

It’s Xmas so that’s safe to assume.

Obvious but I’ve noticed that games will not download if a game that’s using online in any way is active.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

suuma posted:

The download probably won't start if you're playing another game. Is that it?

Heath posted:

If a game or another app is using any kind of connectivity in the background it won't download. Close whatever app you have open and give it a minute.
I don’t think it has any apps, it’s brand new, unless navigating the system menus counts? I’m hitting ‘Redownload’, then the home button to get straight back to the dashboard and there’s nothing at all in any of the main tiles there.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yea this was my best guess since we’re occasionally unable to access the store itself, it just seemed weird that there’s no download error and their service status page claims everything is fine.

TACD fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 25, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got Xeonoblade for Christmas so I may jump into that today.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

is there any trick to finding secrets in Doom 1? I feel like I can spot one or two but the others feel impossible to pick out. Just shoot or press A on everything?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

is there any trick to finding secrets in Doom 1? I feel like I can spot one or two but the others feel impossible to pick out. Just shoot or press A on everything?

There is often something subtle like a slightly different texture on a wall but yeah for such a non stop game it's secrets are pretty well hidden

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Some have hints in the texture work but sometimes the answer is: walk through this invisible trigger 2 rooms over and run back before the wall closes back again or something equally absurd. Not to mention iirc theres at least one properly bugged secret that took like 20 years for people heavily obsessed with the game to figure out how to obtain legitimately.

Personally I love hunting for secrets in games but at a certain point with a doom level I will just look it up online.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was some super tricky ones in Doom64 that nobody in their right mind could have figured out if I remember right

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A lot of the secrets rely completely on sound cues, so it helps if you're playing with headphones and can tell what direction sounds are coming from.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i wish they’d just loving port geometry wars to switch already. just played debris infinity for a bit and it ain’t cutting it. it just doesn’t feel anywhere as chaotic. also, it feels slower.

anything else out there that’s a good switch substitute for geometry wars?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Horace is on special and if you have a fondness for British charm and platforming, it's really really lovely. I got it for $2.55 on the aus eshop and it's really great

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Achmed Jones posted:

i've popped 4 or 5 balloons in animal crossing since the christmas event went live and still haven't got a single one of the recipes. little jones really wanted to build a christmas tree, so this is disappointing

This happened with me with the fall recipes! I was looking forward to making a mushroom basement, but didn't get a single mushroom (or maple leaf) recipe despite playing for a few hours every day. :( It really bummed me out, like "Oh okay, guess I can't take part in one of the main features of changing seasons!"

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s Paradise Killer ?

I believe someone already answered this, but I love it. I'm only about halfway through it, but as soon as I heard "Vaporwave murder mystery", I couldn't buy it fast enough. I do like that it's quite open-ended. I believe the culprit is always the same (although I could be wrong!), but you can accuse whoever and the game won't give you a "Game over" screen like DanganRonpa or Phoenix Wright might. Similarly, you can explore and find clues in the order and level-of-thoroughness that you choose. Stylistically, it's got a little bit of The Silver Case (Suda51's visual novel) mixed in with some DanganRonpa (characters are flat portraits in a 3D world, etc.). It also features one of my favorite video game songs in 2020...just listen to those synths. @.@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdpF3H_3h0

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
What's the best deckbuilder or rogue games like Spire, dicey, yu gi oh etc

And Shmups, like darius collection

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think eshop is down here :mrwhite:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

abelwingnut posted:

i wish they’d just loving port geometry wars to switch already. just played debris infinity for a bit and it ain’t cutting it. it just doesn’t feel anywhere as chaotic. also, it feels slower.

anything else out there that’s a good switch substitute for geometry wars?

I really wish they'd make another game like they one they did on the DS, with like RPG stats and upgrades and customization

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:mrwhite:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Injecting picross into my veins :rock: :roboluv: :snoop: :weed: :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Muk Dumpster posted: