Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the stuff about the $80 is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Cavauro posted:

the stuff about the $80 is true

It is but it’s because AEW Associate Director Louie was skimming $80 from everyone’s paychecks and Cody found out and that’s why Cody didn’t like him

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MassRafTer posted:

Rip Rogers, who may or may not have been a wrestler (evidence is mixed) is claiming AEW stiffed wrestlers who never worked for the company.

https://twitter.com/Hustler2754/status/1342307999092781057

Flash Flanagan tripped a neuron for me and it turns out I watched him on some indie show when I was in like high school. The dude's almost 50 and I remember him mostly sucking even back then. What a weird name to pull out of a hat for a hoax like this.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Im the one who took the $80, sorry everybody

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the story is starting to check out

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
uh

https://twitter.com/Hustler2754/status/1342327757884284928

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh like "worked"

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Rip Rogers is a dumb weiner but "pfft, no company run by a billionaire would ever underpay someone" is a bold, beautiful take.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mick Foley told the story in one of his books about Rip Rogers sinking his hand into a toilet filled with diarrhea to retrieve the car keys that Barry Windham had dropped.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mothfromdaflats/status/1342570011098021889?s=19

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Explosions posted:

Rip Rogers is a dumb weiner but "pfft, no company run by a billionaire would ever underpay someone" is a bold, beautiful take.

I liked the run of Hellcat your avatar is from.

Anyway, Flash Flanagan nor Dylan Bostic are not listed on the Cagematch entry for AEW Dark #57. AEW is not listed here here or here. So I don't get it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

I dig Santa's portrait on the mantle like he's a beloved head of state

Yeah, that poo poo un-ironically rules. I need to get a Santa portrait for next year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ahahaha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love session moth, I want her to save OTT from the scum-infested ruin it became but that’s a tall order

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

that is a picture of alexa bliss

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love session moth, I want her to save OTT from the scum-infested ruin it became but that’s a tall order

a year ago i was so happy i had found this wonderful little indie to binge, and now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

a year ago i was so happy i had found this wonderful little indie to binge, and now

I was so happy I could go see live wrestling in my country that wasn’t wwe!

And then

:mrwhite:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

So did they or didn't they work TV?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

“Way overqualified” to appear on one of two wrestling promotions on widely available cable networks’ flagship TV program.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Can someone explain the joke

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wezlar posted:

Can someone explain the joke

Martina signed for RoH in 2019, after turning down WWE

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ROH pyjamas are probably harder to find though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

So did they or didn't they work TV?

They did work tv that night but they didn’t work tv that night

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Workin' the boys in the back but also not workin' anyone anywhere

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sigma posted:

Martina signed for RoH in 2019, after turning down WWE

But whats the dirt

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Explosions posted:

Yeah, I mean, billionaire being stingy over a relatively tiny sum of cash is very believable. That said, it'd be a loving stupid thing to do. And I really don't get when Bostic is meant to have worked for AEW, he's a midwest guy so I guess the Dynamite in Cleveland back in January? Or Revolution? Because otherwise you're flying in a guy to then not use & stiff him on pay & it just doesn't make sense. Like, they it could have happened but at this point it seems far more likely they'd BS about it.

But hey, now I know that Flash Flanagan wrestled someone called Michael Hayes who isn't that Michael Hayes in 2020 so worth it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Explosions posted:

I think more what I meant is that no company run by a billionaire would risk ruining all the good will theyve built up over the last couple of years over 160 dollars.

I certainly wouldn't put it past anyone in this carny buisiness to exploit and underpay people (ie getting Ben Carter to work for free)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wezlar posted:

I think more what I meant is that no company run by a billionaire would risk ruining all the good will theyve built up over the last couple of years over 160 dollars.

I certainly wouldn't put it past anyone in this carny buisiness to exploit and underpay people (ie getting Ben Carter to work for free)

It’s not exploitation if they can’t legally pay him.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Ben Carter thing is weird because he ended up in a country he could not legally work in and then that fact got publicized and it really feels like an outlier for any real discussion of AEW as a business for the workers not on coherent deals. Like the bigger, weirder thing is that AEW has been very much trying to get pay days for random indie workers in the form of these colossal Dark cards and that doesn't really square with "stiffing the boys on pay."

Now if the idea is they were bodies at shows that needed bodies and were stiffed before the pandemic, its also weird, but makes more sense if this was during normal business times that they weren't paid what they thought they were owed. The fact that no one can place when or where it happened is also weird, but that might just be because no one in the thread is really pushing to believe Rip Rogers. (though Bostic does confirm that he is making the claim in a tweet responding to the Rogers one)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

karmicknight posted:

The Ben Carter thing is weird because he ended up in a country he could not legally work in and then that fact got publicized and it really feels like an outlier for any real discussion of AEW as a business for the workers not on coherent deals. Like the bigger, weirder thing is that AEW has been very much trying to get pay days for random indie workers in the form of these colossal Dark cards and that doesn't really square with "stiffing the boys on pay."
Rogers one)

They had that guy have his leg basically explode in a Dark match and they've brought him back to stand in the crowd many times since then, too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The only thing I know about Bostic is that he has followed and unfollowed me about ten times on Twitter by this point so I hope Tony Khan did keep his $80

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

karmicknight posted:

Now if the idea is they were bodies at shows that needed bodies and were stiffed before the pandemic, its also weird, but makes more sense if this was during normal business times that they weren't paid what they thought they were owed. The fact that no one can place when or where it happened is also weird, but that might just be because no one in the thread is really pushing to believe Rip Rogers. (though Bostic does confirm that he is making the claim in a tweet responding to the Rogers one)

I wouldn't say I don't want to not believe rip. I don't know anything about him, but someone I've never heard of saying two guys I've also never heard of didn't get paid for work with no dates or info just doesn't sound reliable. One of the guys I haven't heard of chiming in with "it was $120" isn't reliable either. I could say I did work for AEW before the pandemic and they shorted me, bit without proof no one would believe me, because that's how it should work. Making poo poo up shouldn't be rewarded with praise. It should be met with scepticism, and willing to believe once proof is provided. Look at the louie poo poo where Cody was the worst person on the planet for 6 hours until it was revealed Louie was actually a creepy racist pervert, that also happened to be a bullshitter too.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Wezlar posted:

But whats the dirt

If you're an Indy pro wrestler and your brother gets you pyjamas of the company you passed up because they're loving garbage, it's a funny photo.

The dirtsheets means he didn't read the news that she passed on wwe, because it's her brother not a person who reads the observer.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wouldn't say I don't want to not believe rip. I don't know anything about him, but someone I've never heard of saying two guys I've also never heard of didn't get paid for work with no dates or info just doesn't sound reliable. One of the guys I haven't heard of chiming in with "it was $120" isn't reliable either. I could say I did work for AEW before the pandemic and they shorted me, bit without proof no one would believe me, because that's how it should work. Making poo poo up shouldn't be rewarded with praise. It should be met with scepticism, and willing to believe once proof is provided. Look at the louie poo poo where Cody was the worst person on the planet for 6 hours until it was revealed Louie was actually a creepy racist pervert, that also happened to be a bullshitter too.

',, bit without proof no one would believe me, because that's how it should work. "

Unfortunately this is just untrue. Look at american politics for a bigger example. If people want the issue to exist they will believe you often times even after being fully disproven.

With wrestling any Rip or Cornette like guy going after aew will get a certain type to automatically without doubt believe it because it's the guys hyping the wrestling they love making GBS threads on the wrestling they think killed what they love, it's the perfect storm.

I wrote this on my 4G phone cause I'll never upgrade to 5G, brother. /s

Yukaichiban fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 26, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I don't believe the Rip/Flash/Bostic story, but I also don't think he's saying that they worked matches on Dark so much as they appeared as security guards or something. Alan Angels, for example, was used as an extra a bunch of times where you wouldn't have known it was him before he ever worked a match for AEW. (He was the "fan" who threw the drink at MJF at Full Gear 2019, for example.) And they've flown in a bunch of non-GA/FL workers for Dark, too, so bringing in a couple Indiana guys isn't a stretch in and of itself so much as:

1. AEW bringing in Flash Flanagan and not having him work a match (unless it was a coach tryout?).
2. AEW bringing in Dylan Bostic at all.

...are both very difficult to believe.

And to add to the other replies: Ben Carter is such an outlier because of the visa issues that calling his non-payment exploitation is ridiculous. They didn't pay him because they couldn't legally pay him and doing so would then also be a major issue if they then tried to sponsor a work visa for him.

Meanwhile, this just happened and I'm not sure what to think of it, both in general and because I don't want to call Rip Rogers after midnight:
https://twitter.com/Hustler2754/status/1342695333898412033

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Carter thing was weird because putting him on TV and not paying him instinctively lit up the BAD light in my brain, but then he said it was his idea and the exposure for him his WWE deal, so it seems like it was a net positive.

I don’t know enough about Dylan Boston to say anything about the likelihood of him being brought in by AEW, but Flash feels really weird unless he’s a great trainer or super respected/liked guy or something.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The Carter thing was weird because putting him on TV and not paying him instinctively lit up the BAD light in my brain, but then he said it was his idea and the exposure for him his WWE deal, so it seems like it was a net positive.

This is kind of what it is for me. Exploitation is maybe a strong word, and it ended up going well, but I think most everyone would agree that paying artists/creatives in exposure is bad practice (even if it worked out in the end) and giving a paying job that could go to someone who is legally working in the country to someone who is willing to do it for free is also kind of lovely.

edit: I think because it's Wrestling and not another industry it looks less shady but like... imagine if the UFC let someone fight but didn't pay them because they couldn't get a visa with the promise of if they had a good performance they might get a contract somewhere later

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 26, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

I don’t know enough about Dylan Boston to say anything about the likelihood of him being brought in by AEW, but Flash feels really weird unless he’s a great trainer or super respected/liked guy or something.
Dylan Bostic is a very non-notable regional indie wrestler who's only known outside of his area because of his ridiculously inflated Twitter follower count, his habit of repeatedly following, unfollowing, and refollowing people to get them to follow him back, etc. This included a very public tantrum when Twitter started purging inactive accounts, with his mom throwing her own public tantrum on his behalf.

Wezlar posted:

his is kind of what it is for me. Exploitation is maybe a strong word, and it ended up going well, but I think most everyone would agree that paying artists/creatives in exposure is bad practice (even if it worked out in the end) and giving a paying job that could go to someone who is legally working in the country to someone who is willing to do it for free is also kind of lovely.
He wasn't brought in to be a body for Dark. It was explicitly a tryout with the hope of signing him, but his specific visa situation meant that AEW probably wasn't a good idea based on what you need to submit to get a work visa for a pro wrestler. He wasn't brought in to save money on one spot on Dark or anything like that.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

i dont really know if the people involved would, but having ben carter publicly say "oh they couldn't pay me, it would be illegal" would probably be a reasonable smokescreen for paying him under the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

davidbix posted:

He wasn't brought in to be a body for Dark. It was explicitly a tryout with the hope of signing him, but his specific visa situation meant that AEW probably wasn't a good idea based on what you need to submit to get a work visa for a pro wrestler. He wasn't brought in to save money on one spot on Dark or anything like that.

If he had just had his tryout on DARK I think that would be one thing, but once you're having him perform for free on television you're using him in a position where you believe his ability to perform brings value but you're not paying him for it.