Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

They should tell the real story, where an imperial superpower invades a region of city-states because they had been supporting rebellion against the empire's tyrants, only to be turned back by the ferocity of the region's resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
y'all are being too harsh on 300 (bunch of Prince of Persia fanboys I bet)

perhaps you would change your minds if Snyder were to release a

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eva Green was pretty awesome in 300 - 2.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

God, this movie is going to bomb and everyone will be pissed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Judakel posted:

God, this movie is going to bomb and everyone will be pissed.

i dont think anything is inherently unfilmable, but probably dune gets pretty close lol

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dont think anything is inherently unfilmable, but probably dune gets pretty close lol

I'd be happy with the original if they didn't have that sound bullshit.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Carthag Tuek posted:

It doesn't help that he chose the most boring visual style for a franchise that is decidedly not "visually" boring.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Snyderdome was made for derails like this, I’ve heard.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
society will never get to the truth of whether 300 the film was satirical or sincere. even if you asked Snyder he'd probably say "oh, uh, yeah, that satire thing sounds cool. yeah I did that" and you wouldn't know if he's lying or just talking in that awkward dorky voice of his

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The Snyderdome was made for derails like this, I’ve heard.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beachcomber posted:

I'd be happy with the original if they didn't have that sound bullshit.

Yeah that just comes off awkward.

The cast and direction are great and the effects are fantastic, but it's too compressed for me. I don't want a lord of the rings, just a bit more space for the story to breathe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Xerxes: "my mother's name is also Helle!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a version of Lynch's Dune where he didn't have control wrested away from him but that'll likely never happen, and what's there, however awkward, is pretty intense stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You know, I'm getting the impression that these Spartans are jerks.

Literally the first thing we're told about them is that they kill babies and that is told with a shot from a camera nestled among the skulls of the babies they killed. It's really not subtle.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The Persian Empire was relatively progressive for the times and were beloved and welcomed by many in the world but famously despised by the Egyptians and the West, mostly Greeks and Romans. Herodotus wrote things about them considered propaganda and the perception of the Persians in 300 is incredibly accurate to what you would expect a Spartan commander preaching to his men before a battle.

If the story of the Battle of Thermopylae is going to be told in a hyper exaggerated, borderline fantasy style from the Spartan perspective, its fairly appropriate.

Now the intentions of that approach to the story in Millers work vs Snyders adaptation can be endlessly debated, but I think theres a clear distinction between them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It would definitely be possible to make great movies from Spartan propaganda that don't glorify fascism, highlighting the differences between historical facts and historical fiction, etc. Even Miller's version of the Thermopylae story could be told in such a way.

Snyder's adaptation is a facile reproduction of the comic book. There are no layers. Same with Rodriguez' version of Sin City. They're frame by frame of Miller, which admittedly looks great, but unfortunately they don't comment on the material at all & become mouthpieces for his fascist thought.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carthag Tuek posted:

It would definitely be possible to make great movies from Spartan propaganda that don't glorify fascism, highlighting the differences between historical facts and historical fiction, etc. Even Miller's version of the Thermopylae story could be told in such a way.

Snyder's adaptation is a facile reproduction of the comic book. There are no layers. Same with Rodriguez' version of Sin City. They're frame by frame of Miller, which admittedly looks great, but unfortunately they don't comment on the material at all & become mouthpieces for his fascist thought.

:emptyquote:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

You could probably argue that it was satire if it was made by Verhoeven, but it's not.

Lol

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Yeah sorry that was badly worded. I wanted to say that another director, such as Verhoeven, would have subverted the material, but Snyder did not. My bad. See my following posts for details.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah sorry that was badly worded. I wanted to say that another director, such as Verhoeven, would have subverted the material, but Snyder did not. My bad. See my following posts for details.
You were wrong in those details, though.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Snyder's adaptation is a facile reproduction of the comic book...They're frame by frame of Miller

This specifically isn't true. Quite a bit is added to make the propaganda a bit more obvious. the Immortals as ninja orcs is completely an invention of the film, as is, obviously, the super immortal, or the grotesque executioner and the grenadiers. He makes the Persians, ironically, much more comic booky than they are in the comic. I'm pretty sure Xerxes tent is a lot stranger in the film too.

The biggest addition, though, is the prologue. Snyder makes it unmistakeably clear that the Spartans are baby killing, children beating lunatics and the very first shot of the film, which isn't in the comic at all, is piles of dead baby skulls.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Adding child skulls to the first bookend doesn't absolve the work. You can't make a movie that glorifies Hitler by putting disclaimers saying "ps. this guy was bad" at the beginning and/or end. That's not enough, when the meat of the movie is pure adoration. Those are the fig leaves.

e: fair, I forgot that Snyder made the Persians even more inhuman than Miller did. To be honest, that actually makes it worse.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Why are we even pretending like this discussion that has already reached 300 + Snyder = Hitler and Fascism Is Good is going to go anywhere but the same stupid circles that led to the creation of an entire thread to contain this very tired derail.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carthag Tuek posted:

Adding child skulls to the first bookend doesn't absolve the work. You can't make a movie that glorifies Hitler by putting disclaimers saying "ps. this guy was bad" at the beginning and/or end.

Actually, that’s done all the time.

But it’s not just a beginning and ending. One major plot point is that Leonidas has poor judgment because of constant apocalyptic nightmares that literally give him erectile dysfunction - brought on by the abuse he suffered as a child, and his disavowed belief in the sun god Apollo.

Anyone can watch the film and see that Leonidas is bad. Now, you are arguing that Leonidas appears very good. Glorious, even.

So: what are his glorious qualities?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AccountSupervisor posted:

Why are we even pretending like this discussion that has already reached 300 + Snyder = Hitler and Fascism Is Good is going to go anywhere but the same stupid circles that led to the creation of an entire thread to contain this very tired derail.
I can agree to Snyder not personally being fascist, but obliviously trading in fascist apologia.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He’s a white man, age 18-40, with a smoking hot bod, therefore he is right, cool, good, and my friend.

AmericanWesternLogic.txt

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Adding child skulls to the first bookend doesn't absolve the work. You can't make a movie that glorifies Hitler by putting disclaimers saying "ps. this guy was bad" at the beginning and/or end. That's not enough, when the meat of the movie is pure adoration. Those are the fig leaves.

e: fair, I forgot that Snyder made the Persians even more inhuman than Miller did. To be honest, that actually makes it worse.

Adding a framing device where literally the first thing you discover about the main characters is that they are the product of a bunch of fascist death cultists does change things. Your argument hinged on it being a panel for panel recreation, which it isn't.

How does making it more explicitly propaganda make it worse? How is that not the definition of examining the source material? Do you know what words mean? It kind of seems like you don't.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Denis, baby, blowing up an RV is not how you get Dune 2.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ask ten people who watch 300, and nine probably tell you Spartans were loving badass and Persians were weird sissies or whatever.

The framing device was minimal at best.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Ask ten people who watch 300, and nine probably tell you Spartans were loving badass and Persians were weird sissies or whatever.

OBJECTION!!! SPECULATION!!!

as we goons know, most viewers came away from 300 thinking "HMM WHAT AN INTRIGUING UNRELIABLE NARRATOR...THOSE SPARTANS WERE UNCOOL GROTESQUE MONSTERS!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ruddiger posted:

He’s a white man, age 18-40, with a smoking hot bod, therefore he is right, cool, good, and my friend.

AmericanWesternLogic.txt

Lol, Gerard Butler could not get or stay cut so they CGI'd his abs.

Snyder kept telling him to quit hitting the bars and he was like uh, nope.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Ask the same nine people about Starship Troopers and Robocop and they’d say the same thing.

If you want to argue that most Americans are too dense to read subtext I’m not going to disagree with you.

If you think they were right or that the majority dictates their opinion as truth, then I don’t know what to tell you, other than that’s hegemony for ya. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hmmm I wonder if there's a long history of western scholars/culture glorifying spartan society and acts that might be relevant to this discussion.....that would be an interesting "framing device"....as a genius, I know 300 was probably just uhhh...deconstructing that stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It might be helpful to list any other movies that ‘glorify fascist apologia’ or whatever while sneakily disguising it by making the protagonists explicitly ridiculous limp-dicked babykilling idiots and liars.

How about Spaceballs?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, that’s done all the time.

But it’s not just a beginning and ending. One major plot point is that Leonidas has poor judgment because of constant apocalyptic nightmares that literally give him erectile dysfunction - brought on by the abuse he suffered as a child, and his disavowed belief in the sun god Apollo.

Anyone can watch the film and see that Leonidas is bad. Now, you are arguing that Leonidas appears very good. Glorious, even.

His glory is in classical heroic qualities, all of which are portrayed as positives:
- he is brave, even knowing he might not win
- he leads his compatriots in the most effective way given the situation
- he is handsome and strong, and a father to his men
- it is not his fault that he loses the battle, it was treachery

The American movie Fury, about the tank crew, is basically a modern 300. The Germans are the faceless horde, except for the few child conscripts that only serve to underline the inhumanity of the enemy. Brad Pitt is Leonidas, obviously. It is a good thing to kill them, even if it is a painful thing. The glory is in overcoming your humanity and killing the bastards, who are not human [whether true or false].

ps I would like some examples of that glorification being bookended by post-scriptums "all the time".

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 26, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spaceballs continues to be prescient.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911950&perpage=40&noseen=1#post501852440

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegetable posted:

So this whole discussion comes back to Truffaut's "there's no such thing as an anti-war film," with the character of Snyder just occluding this point.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
China Producer on Netflix's 'Three-Body Problem' Poisoned in Alleged Murder Plot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Carthag Tuek posted:

His glory is in classical heroic qualities, all of which are portrayed as positives:
[...]
ps I would like some examples of that glorification being bookended by post-scriptums "all the time".

'We were the baddies all along' is an extremely common twist. It'd be remarkable if you hadn't encountered it before. The usual cliche is that the monstrous aliens are revealed to be innocent children or something - as in the Black Mirror episode Men Against Fire, where soldiers are brainwashed into perceiving ethnic minorities as zombies. But that ham-handedness shouldn't be necessary because, if you are actually honest, then fascism is always bad.

That is where you're running into trouble: in your case you're trying to put "glorification" in terms of aesthetics in order to avoid being pinned to a concrete political stance. You don't agree with Leonidas' politics, but he's just overwhelmingly handsome - right?

However, you can't avoid referring to Leonidas's protofascist leadership as "maximally effective" and "faultless". And no; Leonidas is not "faultless". He's actually specifically singled out as being the one who pointlessly antagonized Ephialtes, who was a strong and loyal dude. Do you not see the irony of Leonidas rejecting this guy because he might leave a gap in their defense, and then how that very decision created a massive hole in his plan? There were a lot of things that could have been done differently.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 26, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

update: he's now dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

The American movie Fury, about the tank crew, is basically a modern 300. The Germans are the faceless horde, except for the few child conscripts that only serve to underline the inhumanity of the enemy. Brad Pitt is Leonidas, obviously. It is a good thing to kill them, even if it is a painful thing. The glory is in overcoming your humanity and killing the bastards, who are not human [whether true or false].

Uhm, the Americans rape a woman in Fury fyi

Edit: I really hope the reply to this isn’t going to say or imply that a woman faced with a room full of armed combatants can make a consensual decision.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 26, 2020