Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Morter posted:

I really wish they'd make another game like they one they did on the DS, with like RPG stats and upgrades and customization

whoa what? what’s it called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Dammit, I really wanted to download Hades today :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Muk Dumpster posted:

What's the best deckbuilder or rogue games like Spire, dicey, yu gi oh etc

And Shmups, like darius collection

For rogue I like Shiren, Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon.

Shmups I like are R-Type Collection, Darius Collection, Konami Arcade Collection (has Gradius 1/2 and Lifeforce, Ikaruga and Crimzon Clover.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

abelwingnut posted:

whoa what? what’s it called?

Geometry Wars: Galaxies, it was apparently on the Wii, too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally got around to playing the new Animal Crossing and I'm glad that they ditched the whole debt enslavement forever thing since I last jumped into the series.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Achmed Jones posted:

i've popped 4 or 5 balloons in animal crossing since the christmas event went live and still haven't got a single one of the recipes. little jones really wanted to build a christmas tree, so this is disappointing

It's probably too late but you could ask in the AC thread for help, lots of people have extra dIys.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finally got around to playing the new Animal Crossing and I'm glad that they ditched the whole debt enslavement forever thing since I last jumped into the series.

It’s still there?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I don't get animal crossing

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Muk Dumpster posted:

Look up Rolling Gunner and Crimzon Clover for shmups.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s still there?

I already got 1/5th of the debt paid in like an hour of gameplay.

The previous one I played I had like 1/20th during the same playtime.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Decided to start over in Animal Crossing after quitting months ago. Rushing to millions of bells via turnips and bulldozing the entire island was an easy way to kill the fun.

Reminded myself during the process to check save data storage every once in a while. Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo data was somehow taking up 650mb.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morter posted:

Geometry Wars: Galaxies, it was apparently on the Wii, too.

I had that one. Pacifist mode on Geometry Wars 2 is still my favorite, but that was a great break time waster back in the day.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Muk Dumpster posted:

Simple living in a complicated world

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Muk Dumpster posted:

You're an unpaid garbage picker and pest remover that works on commission.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I started Mario Sunshine today and I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy because of all the poo poo that gets talked about it.

I like it a whole lot!

Maybe it's because I'm coming off 64 and it's terrible controls and cameras, but I feel like I can do anything with ease! It's such a refreshing change of pace! And the music so far is awesome!

I'm really excited to play more of it. I had to stop midway through a fight with a big squid in Ricco Harbor. I'm actually surprised it's as great as it is given how poorly folks talk about it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

i wish they’d just loving port geometry wars to switch already. just played debris infinity for a bit and it ain’t cutting it. it just doesn’t feel anywhere as chaotic. also, it feels slower.

anything else out there that’s a good switch substitute for geometry wars?
Not exactly like Geometry Wars or anything so no clue it'll scratch the same itch for you, but I like Assault Android Cactus for arcadey twin stick shooting. There's like a billion others including a few Geometry Wars looking ones but no clue which are actually good.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Besides the others already mentioned, there's a Psikyo collection or two (or just buy the games individually), Capcom has some coming soon with at least Gigawing and Progear, Sisters Royale is from the old Shikigami no Shiro devs, there's a Psyvariar game (remaster?), I think a Raiden or two, ESP.Ra.De if you import or use the Japan eShop, a bunch of indies like Super Hydorah, Jamestown, and etc etc. A bunch of shovel ware I'm sure, but there's no shortage of solid ones at least.

Mister Facetious posted:

I had that one. Pacifist mode on Geometry Wars 2 is still my favorite, but that was a great break time waster back in the day.
Was that just dodging as long as possible? Just Shapes & Beats might scratch some of the same itch, there's some stuff I don't think is telegraphed well enough but overall solid if you're into the gameplay and music.

Wildtortilla posted:

I started Mario Sunshine today and I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy because of all the poo poo that gets talked about it.

I like it a whole lot!

Maybe it's because I'm coming off 64 and it's terrible controls and cameras, but I feel like I can do anything with ease! It's such a refreshing change of pace! And the music so far is awesome!

I'm really excited to play more of it. I had to stop midway through a fight with a big squid in Ricco Harbor. I'm actually surprised it's as great as it is given how poorly folks talk about it.
It's one of my favorites! But it can be inconsistent and in particular there's...some really bad bugs and/or gameplay issues in places.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm actually surprised it's as great as it is given how poorly folks talk about it.

Come back after the pachinko, chuckster and watermelon shines and tell us what you think.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Muk Dumpster posted:

You play 400 hours and you get a cutting board

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shammypants posted:

You play 400 hours and you get a cutting board

Nope, still waiting :mad:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

japtor posted:

Was that just dodging as long as possible?

Enemies would spawn, and to destroy them you needed to pass through randomly spawning gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfG_OoiZrw

Requires good timing and balls of steel, because sometimes the safest way was through the swarm.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 26, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Since Geometry Wars isn’t on Switch, what are some good twin stick shooters?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Devolver Digital has most of the popular ones, but if you want something more abstract, I'd recommend https://radiangames.com/.
They started all the way back during the 360's indie games program; Inferno 2 is on the Switch, but I haven't played it.

Example of their style:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Devolver Digital has most of the popular ones, but if you want something more abstract, I'd recommend https://radiangames.com/.
They started all the way back during the 360's indie games program; Inferno 2 is on the Switch, but I haven't played it.

Example of their style:

That looks rad.

I forgot Enter the Dungeon counts but that’s more like what I’m looking for.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

You're an unpaid garbage picker and pest remover that works on commission.

hell yeah and my house is cute!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mister Facetious posted:

Example of their style:

Inferno 2 has levels rather than an arena. You also can put points into stats. It's fun but it's definitely doesn't have the white knuckle controller gripping quickly escalating difficulty of Geometry Wars. It's more of a slow burn.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wildtortilla posted:

I like it a whole lot!

A mintority of people in this thread hyperbolically complain about it, but it really is a chill and fun game. I played it properly for the first time this year and loved it.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Getting inferno 2 now, im a sucker for stats and upgrades

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really liked the first Inferno on iOS years and years ago, despite the phone controls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hedrigall posted:

A mintority of people in this thread hyperbolically complain about it, but it really is a chill and fun game. I played it properly for the first time this year and loved it.

There's nothing hyperbolic or chill about the Secret stages, or some of the nastier hidden ones in Plaza Delfino. Super Mario Sunshine is a very mean-spirited game when it wants to be. A great game, but it will not be kind sometimes.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Ok dicey dungeon is pretty awesome

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedrigall posted:

It's bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Super Mario Shitshine

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

I agree, the way the thread hyperbolically complains about Sunshine is bad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Enemies would spawn, and to destroy them you needed to pass through randomly spawning gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfG_OoiZrw

Requires good timing and balls of steel, because sometimes the safest way was through the swarm.
Ahh, yeah remember that now, it's been forever. Curious what happened to the dev and looked them up, they closed 10 years ago :(

SeANMcBAY posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot Enter the Dungeon counts but that’s more like what I’m looking for.
I'd say Enter the Gungeon and Geometry Wars are pretty different. Latter is more straight arcadey with immediate action while Gungeon has some of the bad roguelike trappings that make it feel like a slog for a while before it builds up (or until you get the ability skip progress). I always heard Nuclear Throne handles it better so that might be worth a shot. As mentioned I like Assault Android Cactus but it's definitely more towards an arcadey experience so no clue if you'd be into it.

Did some more looking and found this page with a bunch of trailers, looks like twin stick shooters that look all over the gamut gameplay wise, appears to go forever in no particular order that I can tell:
https://switcher.co/games/tag/twin-stick-shooter/

And it reminded me about Ruiner...yet another Devolver published one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've been playing Synthetik a bunch over Christmas and as someone who doesn't like Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac and these kinds of games it really clicked for me. I think maybe because it's got headshots, a trillion different guns, and the moment-to-moment gameplay feels more tactical and less like a bullet hell game in disguise than those. And because shooting robots is like hitting a slab of meat with a bat, they've really nailed the weight of the gunplay.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That looks rad.

Isn't that Neon Tango?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Fareia needs constant online to even play, looked like MTG, disappointed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I played it properly for the first time this year also and thought it was absolutely rubbish. I love all other 3D Mario games

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t even know why we bring up Geometry Wars given that Nuclear Throne is on the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My cheapo USBC to HDMI traveling TV hookup solution randomly disintegrated after a year of reliable service so I just ordered the genki stealth dock, this thing had better hold together for a decade

Also, having sunk like four hours into Mario Sunshine on switch after missing it when it was new: it's interesting, but it's pretty bad.