Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cats was so good they just had to fast-track the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The more I think about it, WW84 surpasses Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad for worst DC comic book movie of the last 10 years.

I think it might be worst ever. Top 3 easily.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I said come in! posted:

This movie does not make me hopeful for Warner Brothers 2021 films.

It makes me nervous for Rogue Squadron, which Jenkins is helming.

Everything about this movie is *lazy*. It seems like they shot hours and hours of poo poo, cut it down to 2.5 and went :shrug:.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mat Cauthon posted:

It reeks of some social media intern at WB/DC letting the suits know that there's a lot of criticism of Gal Gadot for her involvement and propagandizing of the IDF on Twitter, Tumblr, etc and then they give Jenkins a note saying "HAVE WONDER WOMAN SAVE SOME BROWN KIDS".

It might've worked better if the whole sequence didn't look so loving cheap. The fan made superhero re-enactments on YT have better quality.

In case you forgot how much she sucks

https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1342653828701822977

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hello, my character arc is that I am so in love with wonder woman I want to become her, no wait, that doesn't matter, I take it back my new wish is to become a cheetah instead. Oh well, I died easily.

Barbara makes a second wish to be an apex predator; becoming Cheetah is just the whole Monkey's Paw and all that. The film has a lot going against it, but not all the character beats with Barbara are bad.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

GlassEye-Boy posted:

WTF when did she switch to the bird armor? She was just swinging from lightning out in the middle of nowhere.

This movie makes no loving sense.

• She hung from the airplane to get to the secret radar dish.
  • She made otu with Trevor and then sent him to the shadow dimension, inspiring her to learn how to fly.
  • She flew back to her apartment to get the flying Varia suit.
  • Then she flew back to the island, except instead of flying using her new Trevor technique she just swings from lightning bolts, which is the kind of divine thing she should be doing more of.
I am not sure what order these events happened in?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
How did the Nasty Woman rescind her wish?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It makes me nervous for Rogue Squadron, which Jenkins is helming.

Everything about this movie is *lazy*. It seems like they shot hours and hours of poo poo, cut it down to 2.5 and went :shrug:.

Her first Wonder Woman film was so good! I watch it all the time. What the gently caress happened this time? Jenkins showed so much promise.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Augus posted:

cats was so good they just had to fast-track the sequel

There is no way a Cats sequel could be this bad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

teagone posted:

Barbara makes a second wish to be an apex predator; becoming Cheetah is just the whole Monkey's Paw and all that. The film has a lot going against it, but not all the character beats with Barbara are bad.

Reminds me, did she actually say “wish”? Was she touching him when she said it? I thought those were the rules of this movie, but didn’t seem like they followed them by that point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grem posted:

the irish guy rescinded his wish so she didn't die and then she got back up and decided not to be racist anymore because :shrug:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Grem posted:

She didn't, everyone else rescinded theirs and so they got what they gave up back, which was what made her...

A cat?

Who had cat features to give up for Max Lord to steal and give to her? Did an actual cat make a wish? For that matter, who had tornado powers for Max to steal that he used to defend himself from the lasso of truth? Did the Wind Wizard wish for his cable to be turned back on?

smackfu posted:

Reminds me, did she actually say “wish”? Was she touching him when she said it? I thought those were the rules of this movie, but didn’t seem like they followed them by that point.

Nah, that deal wasn't a wish, and was also probably the most clever part of the movie. Max is stealing from everyone who makes a wish, and he's genuinely grateful to her for defending him back at the White House, so he offers to hook her up. She's all, "I want to be unique, and the strongest and coolest," and he's all, "Yeah, I can do that" so while he's granting wishes later he passes along some of the payment he's getting to her. When he's giving out wishes on TV he says, "You give her your strength, and you give her your ferocity!" Presumably he also passed along someone's tail at some point.

They're best friends and they trust each other, it's touching.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 26, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

She said she wanted to be "like no other person." An "apex predator."

The Cheetah poo poo literally came from her liking Diana's cheetah-print heels at the beginning, which presumably influenced her clothing choices as she got ~more powerful~. This loving movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

smackfu posted:

The script and direction is weak. The scene ends with Max telling Barbara he likes the way she thinks and to continue explaining how she wants to be #1 apex predator, lol. I guess it's only implied that they follow the in-universe rules? But then the other poo poo happens with the super satellites so...

[edit]

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I get what happened in a plot sense, but as a character arc it's a mess.

Ahh, yeah I just thought you were criticizing the "why" of how she becomes Cheetah when the film at least sort of explains it competently enough.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 26, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

teagone posted:

I get what happened in a plot sense, but as a character arc it's a mess.

Like she's a lonely awkward weak woman at the start, so she wishes to be someone else. She becomes someone else but in the process gives up what made her her (her kindness).

Then she renounces that and just wants to become strong on her own. And she becomes a literal cat lady and is clearly way weaker and worse off than being wonderwoman2. Like, she doesn't really learn anything or have any particular reason to get punished with a cat form other than a pun. Why is wishman even messing with her at this point? They seem to be friends, why even mess up her wish if she's fighting on his side?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then she renounces that and just wants to become strong on her own. And she becomes a literal cat lady and is clearly way weaker and worse off than being wonderwoman2.

She's stronger than the ultimate armor forged to defeat every army on earth simultaneously, I don't think she got the weak magic powers. She just lost to electricity, which is Wonder Woman's thematic link to Zeus.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Mystic Mongol posted:

She didn't, everyone else rescinded theirs and so they got what they gave up back, which was what made her...

A cat?

Who had cat features to give up for Max Lord to steal and give to her? Did an actual cat make a wish? For that matter, who had tornado powers for Max to steal that he used to defend himself from the lasso of truth? Did the Wind Wizard wish for his cable to be turned back on?

Nah, that deal wasn't a wish, and was also probably the most clever part of the movie. Max is stealing from everyone who makes a wish, and he's genuinely grateful to her for defending him back at the White House, so he offers to hook her up. She's all, "I want to be unique, and the strongest and coolest," and he's all, "Yeah, I can do that" so while he's granting wishes later he passes along some of the payment he's getting to her. When he's giving out wishes on TV he says, "You give her your strength, and you give her your ferocity!" Presumably he also passed along someone's tail at some point.

The Nasty Woman was the lady that got wished to drop dead

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Her first Wonder Woman film was so good! I watch it all the time. What the gently caress happened this time? Jenkins showed so much promise.

The first movie was good because it had a multitude of characters for us to care about in a setting that allowed for WW to exist in the background of our timeline. Pretty easy for a woman to quietly blend into history in 1917.

This one sucked in large part because it made us focus on four main characters who seemed confused most of the time, and it completely uproots the continuity of the DCEU for no reason or gain.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Bizarre fuckin movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The editor must have died half through post production and no one was told and then they just assumed the movie was done.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mystic Mongol posted:

They set up he's running a pyramid scheme with his business but doesn't know or won't admit it. It felt like that was going to tie into what he was doing with wishes. But they felt just random wish to wish if he was creating new things or just shuffling stuff. Like a different movie could have played up the idea that every wish granted lost someone else something and he is the only one that benefits, but like, nah.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I said come in! posted:

The editor must have died half through post production and no one was told and then they just assumed the movie was done.

This movie has to have been effected by covid, it must have been people working from home and not being able to see eachother's work enough to catch even basic concepts like the order of the seats in a plane or if she was wearing wings,riding lightning or using her her boyfriend's secret flight technique or if she owns a tv or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

If that was true I think this movie would've been 37 hours long.

It's the reversal of the Patton Oswalt bit about how women "refine" things, how if Lucas had had his way, every Star Wars movie would've been an unwatchable epic, and it was his editors that made the final product work.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

That movie was so hosed with by the studio. And it needed a rewrite. Last act was better than first act and a half, but they never bothered to go back and make the rest work with the story (I think?) they are trying to tell. Also, this year having mankind Behave better does not work with what people do with Covid, oh boy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I gotta say, “if you give the people what they want, they’ll explicitly choose to destroy the world” coupled with “when you think about it, change is the actual enemy” is some pretty hosed up messaging I didn’t expect to be hit with when I sat down to watch this movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why was Diana hiding the fact that she could fly, that probably would’ve been useful to use against doomsday or steppenwolf

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

At least WB makes interesting bad films, unlike the Marvel counter part bad films

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Baronash posted:

I gotta say, “if you give the people what they want, they’ll explicitly choose to destroy the world” coupled with “when you think about it, change is the actual enemy” is some pretty hosed up messaging I didn’t expect to be hit with when I sat down to watch this movie.

"Hope is a lie, be happy with what you have, never wish for anything better, only the special get what they want by breaking the rules and seemingly suffer no consequences. Eat Arby's."

Kinda encapsulates the past four years rather well, honestly. :smith:

Also, Lord renounces his wish, but the pilots on Marine One just fly him to his son, no questions asked? What the gently caress?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baronash posted:

the first movie was about taking a stand against the endless cycle of violence no matter what anyone else tells you is possible and how people can lift each other up and strive to be better, the second movie is about how wanting things is bad lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Different writers this time around

Patty Jenkins
Geoff Johns (lol)
David Callaham

First movie:

Screenplay by
Allan heinberg

Story by
Zack Snyder
Allan Heinberg
Jason Fuchs

Woops!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, Geoff Johns did Green Lantern. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: He produced it, didn't write it.

Augus posted:

why was Diana hiding the fact that she could fly, that probably would’ve been useful to use against doomsday or steppenwolf

Superman had just come back to life and she didn't want to give him an inferiority complex. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 26, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

I said come in! posted:

I haven't seen it yet but from the complaints it sounds like she just straight made an 80's comic book movie like Superman or Swamp Thing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If that was true I think this movie would've been 37 hours long.

It's the reversal of the Patton Oswalt bit about how women "refine" things, how if Lucas had had his way, every Star Wars movie would've been an unwatchable epic, and it was his editors that made the final product work.

Lmao yikes

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Technically the apex predator is Randy Orton

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So wait, at the end, it explicitly showed...reverse footage of a silo launch but also missles just evaporating. And all of the bad things stopped, but the reunion takes place in a cheaply dressed field of trash that didn’t get reversed too?

I also felt like I was going crazy because I must’ve missed why people were mobbing outside of Max’s building as his power was increasing, and the mobs just grew and grew like it was meaningful or I should know why people would want to be in front of the business that owns ‘half the worlds oil’. He also stated his motivation at the end was to get more health and poo poo, but before that, it seems like he NEEDS to grant wishes. What’s his goal? To just grant wishes and take stuff from every person on the planet?

I knew the movie was going to be lovely when they hopped in a plane and flew to Egypt, no big deal.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 26, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ItsTheBrandi/status/1342710411607601154

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I just can't enjoy fantastical stories if there isn't realistic flight control systems in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

meanolmrcloud posted:

I also felt like I was going crazy because I must’ve missed why people were mobbing outside of Max’s building as his power was increasing, and the mobs just grew and grew like it was meaningful or I should know why people would want to be in front of the business that owns ‘half the worlds oil’

Because for one low weekly payment you too can get a cut of their profits.