Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Tagging with Crash was the closest he ever got to being really over, what wouldn’t he have liked about it?

Maybe a personal dislike? Crash did apparently have substance abuse problems...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At some point I signed up for the Grappl app and then promptly forgot about it, as it goes with everything ever. Anyway, I got an email from them today that included this image, with the highest rated matches on the app for each month of 2020

For the sake of comparison the highest rated matches on Cagematch were
January: Okada vs Naito, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 2
February Young Bucks vs Hangman & Omega, AEW Revolution
March: Kento Miyahara vs Suwama, AJPW Dream Power Series
April: Jake Lee, Shuji Ishikawa & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Kento Miyahara, Suwama & Zeus, AJPW What We Do Now
May: Inner Circle vs The Elite & Hardy, AEW Double Or Nothing
June: Masato Tanaka vs Tetsuya Endo, DDT Peter Pan Night 2
July: Mayu Iwatani vs Jungle Kyona, Stardom Cinderella Summer In Nagoya
August: Go Shiozaki vs Kenoh, NOAH The Chronicle Vol. 3
September: Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW G1 Climax Night 2
October: Walter vs Ilja Dragunov, NXT UK 29/10
November: Go Shiozaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima, NOAH The Chronicle Vol. 4
December: Go Shiozaki vs Takashi Sugiura, NOAH The BEST Final Chronicle & El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors/World Tag League Finals are tied at 9.39 out of 10.

This absolutely doesn't deserve its own thread so I couldn't think of a better place to post it so to make this a question, are there any glaring omissions? Because on first glance I probably agree with most of the choices, with the exception that I've seen none of the AEW matches or the Stardom match so I might be tempted to put in Arisa Nakajima vs Yoshiko from SEAdLINNNG. And I probably have the Dragon Gate RED vs Toryumon losing faction disbands match from Sunday as my match of December because it's exquisite storytelling & action & nods to 20 years of history & elevating youngsters all combined. Picks for Feb is probably Ospreay vs ZSJ from RevPro High Stakes & May is Kazusada Higuchi vs. Tetsuya Endo from DDT TV#1.

Also, how weird is it that a match from the least important brand in WWE was as amazingly good as Walter vs Dragunov that it was better than the G1 final? 2020 has been an odd year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there any solid info about how much money MLW brings in?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

It honestly adds to the Bob Holly mythos so much that it takes him from "bullying dickhead" to "oh he's just very dumb" so I'm inclined to agree with your reality.

I was trying to read about the neck injury. This is from the 9/23/02 WON, where Dave was writing about a house show in St. Louis.

"Show ending was the Angle over Rikishi stink face match which saw Gunn try and help Angle make Rikishi kiss his rear end, but alas, Rikishi cleaned house on both and both got a double stink face. Even after the angle on Smackdown, Billy & Chuck played heels and also played a gay act. Seems Hardcore Holly told the crowd that he knew they were still queers, which got a face pop and Billy & Chuck played both the act up and played heel for the heat."

The first WON where it actually mentioned Holly had a neck injury was October 7.

There was no mention of sandbagging through the October WONs.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 23, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the PPV where Holly got a random title shot against Brock? I remember that was when I thought it happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

When was the PPV where Holly got a random title shot against Brock? I remember that was when I thought it happened.

Royal Rumble 2004, where the entire build was "You broke my neck, Brock. I'm gonna kill you for that."

It had Brock running scared from Holly during the build, and then Brock beat him pretty quickly in a fairly underwhelming match.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was like a six minute match for a supposed blood feud, half of which was in a resthold

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Say what you will about Bob Holly

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Royal Updog posted:

He sucks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe a personal dislike? Crash did apparently have substance abuse problems...

Billy Gunn, who would travel with Bob in those days, told this story. Apparently Bob hated the cousins gimmick because he didn't like Crash, because he found him annoying. Billy said they'd try to sneak out of the arena multiple times, but somehow Crash always knew, and was always waiting in their car. But apparently, Bob did eventually soften up and actually grew fond of Crash.

In other bits:

Brock has flat out said Holly didn't sandbag him. It was just an accident.

And at one point in his career, Holly got a staph infection so severe, it looked as if he was going to have to have his arm amputated.

Also, remember when he said "Hey Dracula, how about you, you fat bastard" to Gangrel? They need to bring Bob Holly just have him confront the Fiend.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Bob Holly book is a good read even though he’s an rear end. It’s interesting to read and see the perspective of a low card job guy, especially illuminating on just how little most guys were getting paid before the Attitude Era kicked off.

Not excusing it, but a lot of his anger or disappointment with other guys in the book is based off that. Working super hard, never moving up the card, finally something takes off but your tag partner has a drug problem and is pissing off management. Or a guy getting a speeding ticket in a rental car in your name and not even telling you about it. Extra fees and payments, time off the road to go to court and not getting paid for it, etc.

Unfortunately, like most Bob doesn’t seem to blame Vince for creating these lovely working conditions. He thinks well of him for selling him the stock car stuff on the cheap.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The short version on Holly-Brock: No, Holly didn't sandbag the powerbomb, but he had a rep for stuff like that, which is why that became the urban legend. If you look closely, Bob is clearly trying to go up; it's just mistimed.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Tato posted:

The Bob Holly book is a good read even though he’s an rear end. It’s interesting to read and see the perspective of a low card job guy, especially illuminating on just how little most guys were getting paid before the Attitude Era kicked off.

Not excusing it, but a lot of his anger or disappointment with other guys in the book is based off that. Working super hard, never moving up the card, finally something takes off but your tag partner has a drug problem and is pissing off management. Or a guy getting a speeding ticket in a rental car in your name and not even telling you about it. Extra fees and payments, time off the road to go to court and not getting paid for it, etc.

Unfortunately, like most Bob doesn’t seem to blame Vince for creating these lovely working conditions. He thinks well of him for selling him the stock car stuff on the cheap.

Who got a speeding ticket in bob’s car?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Senator Giroux posted:

Who got a speeding ticket in bob’s car?

Rene Dupree

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And the way the story goes, he didn't tell Holly about it until Holly started getting notices in the mail.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

davidbix posted:

The short version on Holly-Brock: No, Holly didn't sandbag the powerbomb, but he had a rep for stuff like that, which is why that became the urban legend. If you look closely, Bob is clearly trying to go up; it's just mistimed.
Brock also has a few incidents of overestimating what he’s capable of. “I can totally make this SSP even though Kurt’s too far away!” “ I can totally just get Bob up safely even though he mistimed going up!” “I can totally get color on Orton via elbows without hurting him!”

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's up with Ron Simmons and JBL apparently hating Terry Gordy? It was mentioned with literally that small amount of information on a Wrestle Talk a few days back. I don't know that I've heard about anyone having issues with Gordy before

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Royal Updog posted:

I love his dropkick.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Falcon Arrow is one of my favorite finishing moves of all time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Brock also has a few incidents of overestimating what he’s capable of. “I can totally make this SSP even though Kurt’s too far away!” “ I can totally just get Bob up safely even though he mistimed going up!” “I can totally get color on Orton via elbows without hurting him!”

Well, the problem is, in both cases, he's just close enough to being right that it's hard to blame him for thinking that.

Speaking of, I don't think I ever thought about how Brock had only done the SSP in Ohio Valley and how that might have resulted in the mis-judgement in where Kurt had to be. In a lovely little indie ring, a guy as athletic as Brock probably did need guys to be basically at the opposite corner or he'd overshoot. But in the 20x20 WWE ring, that's a much longer distance to go.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the problem is, in both cases, he's just close enough to being right that it's hard to blame him for thinking that.

Speaking of, I don't think I ever thought about how Brock had only done the SSP in Ohio Valley and how that might have resulted in the mis-judgement in where Kurt had to be. In a lovely little indie ring, a guy as athletic as Brock probably did need guys to be basically at the opposite corner or he'd overshoot. But in the 20x20 WWE ring, that's a much longer distance to go.
He did do at least one SPP in the 20x20 ring; it was the finish of an OVW Tag Title match that WWE did as a dark match before the May 15, 2001 SmackDown taping in Louisville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnihYTHGyYs

(It does look like he came close to shorting it, but he landed well enough.)

But by WM19, he hadn't done the move in over a year and, IIRC, didn't even bother practicing it on a crash pad before the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Falcon Arrow is one of my favorite finishing moves of all time

He called his the Hollycaust, so he ruined even that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Nooooo

I probably thought that was cool in like 1999 when I first really got into wrestling but I totally forgot about that

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

And his short-lived Velocity-exclusive team with Billy Gunn had a tandem finished called the Gunn-Holly Bomb, or the GHB for short. With the announcers making pointed remarks about how when they give you the GHB, it always knocks you out.

This is after the Harris Twins had a tandem finisher in WCW called the H-Bomb. While there was the obvious tie-in to their name as well as the hydrogen bomb reference, "H-Bomb" has a very specific meaning in pro wrestling, which it had for years before they debuted the move in 2000. That is: Drugging people's—usually women's—drinks with halcion, often to facilitate rape.

Wrestling is bad and sometimes I think we're bad for liking it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

At least it was called that for a very short period of time. I’m not sure if Holly himself named it or not.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Punch McLightning posted:

At least it was called that for a very short period of time. I’m not sure if Holly himself named it or not.
I may be hallucinating this, but didn't he say in an interview or his book that wherever the name came from, it wasn't his idea?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Sounds like you guys are a bunch of hollycaust deniers!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

I may be hallucinating this, but didn't he say in an interview or his book that wherever the name came from, it wasn't his idea?

I don’t specifically remember or know it. It just feels like it’s well outside of his wheelhouse from the first half of his book which I read - he may be an rear end in a top hat, but he’s an rear end in a top hat that seems like he has never intentionally made a pun in his entire life, let alone a pun based on an atrocity.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Royal Updog posted:

I laughed at the spot when a table shot on him and sliced his back especially since I've literally never seen it before or since. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Monkeycheese posted:

Sounds like you guys are a bunch of hollycaust deniers!

So many Lawler calls could have happened

"I CAN'T BELIEVE AL KICKED OUT, WHAT ELSE CAN HOLLY DO? THAT WAS ALL HE HAD, IT WAS HIS FINAL SOLUTION".

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yukaichiban posted:

I laughed at the spot when a table shot on him and sliced his back especially since I've literally never seen it before or since. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I had a friend of a friend who tried to be a pro wrestler years ago, and while doing a move through a table a splinter hosed his eye and he had to have a pretty serious surgery and gave up on the dream after that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yukaichiban posted:

So many Lawler calls could have happened

"I CAN'T BELIEVE AL KICKED OUT, WHAT ELSE CAN HOLLY DO? THAT WAS ALL HE HAD, IT WAS HIS FINAL SOLUTION".

Nah, Vince would've nixed that, no referencing WCW gimmicks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

I had a friend of a friend who tried to be a pro wrestler years ago, and while doing a move through a table a splinter hosed his eye and he had to have a pretty serious surgery and gave up on the dream after that.

Is your friend Rob Van Dam from another universe?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Tiger posted:

jesus

There's that story of Vince notably nixing the unfrozen Nazi gimmick in the 00s, right? Like, just staring the writer down?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Punch McLightning posted:

jesus

There's that story of Vince notably nixing the unfrozen Nazi gimmick in the 00s, right? Like, just staring the writer down?

I think the story was that Vince just got up and left.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have absolutely no idea how Vince didn't love that. Was it too on-the-nose?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Vince McMahon posted:

Dammit! I've already had enough trouble with those Von Erichs, why are you proposing a story about a reanimated Fritz? Get the gently caress out of here!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I have absolutely no idea how Vince didn't love that. Was it too on-the-nose?

Vince's hero is MLK Jr. For all of his (many, many) flaws, being a literal Nazi isn't one.

How's that for some faint praise.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
WWE likes to maintain plausible deniability with gimmicks like that. It's one thing to have a stable of ultra-nationalist patriots who keep going "We the People" and talking about Real Americans but if they start explicitly saying undeniably racist things that might make one of your sponsors unhappy.

It's all dog whistles and giving yourself some cover if people complain.