Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This movie has to have been effected by covid, it must have been people working from home and not being able to see eachother's work enough to catch even basic concepts like the order of the seats in a plane or if she was wearing wings,riding lightning or using her her boyfriend's secret flight technique or if she owns a tv or not.

Thats the thing though, this movie was originally scheduled to release November 2019. Its been finished for at least a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

I haven't seen it yet but from the complaints it sounds like she just straight made an 80's comic book movie like Superman or Swamp Thing

Superman was fun though, this was the exact opposite of that. :(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Technically the apex predator is Randy Orton

That’s right

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I said come in! posted:

Thats the thing though, this movie was originally scheduled to release November 2019. Its been finished for at least a year.
Jenkins kept making a big deal back in the fall about how she turned the negative situation of the delay into a positive by using all the extra time to polish the editing and CGI.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

that kind of inclusion in the movie would've been outta nowhere, though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This plot was spoiled well in advance of that, too. I remember reading something about a year ago that was ~90% of what we got, test audiences evidently hated it, and *this* is what they went with.

I said it before, but this movie's main sin is that it's lazy. All the miscellaneous nitpicky poo poo boils down to that. There's loving nothing to care about in this movie. At all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jenkins kept making a big deal back in the fall about how she turned the negative situation of the delay into a positive by using all the extra time to polish the editing and CGI.

Lol, welp.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Baronash posted:

I gotta say, “if you give the people what they want, they’ll explicitly choose to destroy the world” coupled with “when you think about it, change is the actual enemy” is some pretty hosed up messaging I didn’t expect to be hit with when I sat down to watch this movie.

... man the more i think about it, yeah. and there's also some really hosed up framing to do with feminine empowerment, too. Female violence against male rapist? Bad. The real way to resolve violence is for the woman to be in the corner physically helpless to fight back and pleading verbally until the abuser realises they're bad and then he runs off consequence free because he was really doing it out of love and had a troubled childhood so we should be sympathetic.

like when i think about it that's .. what happens...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol she lied so hard about this.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

I said come in! posted:

Superman was fun though, this was the exact opposite of that. :(

We'll see

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If anything, you're gonna feel the runtime.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Even for a mindless blockbuster, there’s a ton of poo poo that just does not hang well. When Steve comes back, where does his hosts soul Go? Did he have a family? A job? When he comes back, does he experience a gap of non-being? he and the rest of the entire world seem utterly unchanged by anything that happened . Lazy is exactly the right word for this movie.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 26, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

meanolmrcloud posted:

Even for a mindless blockbuster, there’s a ton of poo poo that just does hang well. When Steve comes back, where does his hosts soul Go? Did he have a family? A job? When he comes back, does he experience a gap of non-being? . Lazy is exactly the right word for this movie.
The more I think about the movie the more stuff like occurs to me. Lazy is absolutely the right word.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Even for a mindless blockbuster, there’s a ton of poo poo that just does not hang well. When Steve comes back, where does his hosts soul Go? Did he have a family? A job? When he comes back, does he experience a gap of non-being? he and the rest of the entire world seem utterly unchanged by anything that happened . Lazy is exactly the right word for this movie.

I'm a huge fan of the mindless blockbuster and I can have a lot of fun at movies that are only good if you shut your brain off. This movie was the drizzling shits even by "mindless blockbuster" standards.

I mean I liked Justice League and BvS for God's sake.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Grem posted:

I'm a huge fan of the mindless blockbuster and I can have a lot of fun at movies that are only good if you shut your brain off. This movie was the drizzling shits even by "mindless blockbuster" standards.

I mean I liked Justice League and BvS for God's sake.

Those movies literally make more sense

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wanna know what would've made this movie? Steve bumping into something random in Diana's apartment and we hear that invisible coffee cup break, and her saying "I guess that's where it was." I really think that would've tied everything together.

I mean, it couldn't have made things worse! :gonk:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
... Actually, why the hell didn't she swap into the golden armour of magical defense when she STARTED LOSING HER POWERS? Why does she gear up as part of her post power-up montage and not "take a taxi to my apartment and try to use the armour so I don't have to sacrifice my ghost boyfriend?

Why is the armour so meaningless in the end? The wings don't even help with flying!

... also uh, did she rape that guy's body? Like, he's explicitly in a real person's body whose consciousness was missing?

the more i think about it the more bewildered I am with the plot and choices made. Did the green lantern guy write 90% of this script?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This pretty much says everything that needs to be said: https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2020/12/ww84.html

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol that WB gave Jenkins and Gadot each a $10 million bonus for this movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really want to know where exactly did all the budget go lmao

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

This movie was an odd trip. Even the whole concept of operating in secret makes so little sense when she's swinging around shopping malls in a bright-colored outfit - like hey Dianna, even if that little kid you winked at keeps your secret, there were still a hundred people there and the criminals that will probably spill the beans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wanna know what would've made this movie? Steve bumping into something random in Diana's apartment and we hear that invisible coffee cup break, and her saying "I guess that's where it was." I really think that would've tied everything together.

I mean, it couldn't have made things worse! :gonk:

That would have been a real good loving joke lmao. This movie tried too hard to parallel the humor from the last movie, but forgot to include the punchline.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I watched it for myself and yeah, there's stuff worth nitpicking, but I still had a blast and will probably watch and enjoy it again.
Some of the criticisms here and abroad keep assuming prescriptivist motives when the story-related beats are much simpler:

Barbara going too far maiming her repeat attacker doesn't mean women shouldn't fight back, it just means stomping someone's skull in changes a person and Barbara's edging closer from simply enjoying her power to abusing it.

Nearly all of the wishes come down to the same lesson as in the beginning sequence - if you want something, you have to work for it. Instant gratification, especially among tons of people, just means everyone loving each other over repeatedly instead of accomplishing something together. I do hope Diana comes down hard on those child-beaters, though. Similarly, I'm glad people apparently learned to be nice to the homeless in time for the ending scene. And who/where is Alistair's mom?

And then the observation about there not being enough action - I thought there was enough and it was fine. Citing the minutes between setpieces doesn't prove anything. I dunno, the movie seemed to have plenty of heart and traded on a lot of the charms I enjoyed in the first movie. Far from the "god what a jumbled pile of poo poo" reactions that had me expecting much, much worse. Next you're going to tell me the Supergirl movie isn't a beloved classic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I mean, let me try here.

WW84: Eva Green as Circe, who resurrects Steve Trevor from the afterlife just to use him as leverage over Diana as she has a massive mad-on for Hippolyta. He spends most of the movie as a very charming pig that doesn't talk.

Oh? I can have all the money? Thank you.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You guys are all saying this is bad but I just finished watching it literally minutes ago and have already forgotten like a third of it so in that way its indistinguishable from every other superhero movie released in the last decade

Anyway wouldn't it have been funny if instead of jumping into a hot guy when she wished him back to life this happened

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
It seems weird that the guy who had bad intel on oil in Texas somehow had good intel on civilization destroying, enchanted artifacts and how to use them.

It's even weirder because his bad land deals can be easily explained away with "I just wanted land and I was going to monkey paw oil into it" and instead is just "lol bad intel; sorry investor guy"

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's lazy in weird ways. It would've been lazier (but also better!) if Steve just came back as himself out of nowhere but instead they went with the body snatcher approach which requires a lot more questions to be answered.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Space Fish posted:

I
And who/where is Alistair's mom?

And then the observation about there not being enough action - I thought there was enough and it was fine. Citing the minutes between setpieces doesn't prove anything. I dunno, the movie seemed to have plenty of heart and traded on a lot of the charms I enjoyed in the first movie. Far from the "god what a jumbled pile of poo poo" reactions that had me expecting much, much worse. Next you're going to tell me the Supergirl movie isn't a beloved classic.

She's with her boyfriend. Also, it's implied by Maxwell's choice of secretaries that she might be a hot blonde. :v

I saw it a second time today. Run time went faster this time, and MY GIRLFRIEND liked it, although she hasn't seen the first one. My niece did say that she preferred the first one, for what it's worth. Still liked it.

I'm willing to give the movie some breaks because it goes for the 80's overall theme of excess and how that is definitely not good. Also, most realistic DC villain since Max is based in, you know, what is happening in the USA since four years ago, sooo... bonus points for that. Pedro Pascal does a good job at making Max be both hateable and kinda sympathetic.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny reading this thread because I basically agree with all the criticisms but at the same time I really enjoyed it? I would have loved more Barbara/Cheetah though, she was fantastic and it was a shame how she just disappeared at the end.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I also thought during all the talk of him touching everyone I immediately thought they would use Hands Across America as his evil charge up device. They had stuff much later in the 80s showing up so why not?.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Barbara just reminds me of Aldrich from Iron Man 3 (i had to google his name) but that's a writing problem

Pedro is definitely one of the funner parts of the movie but still feels like wasted potential

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This plot was spoiled well in advance of that, too. I remember reading something about a year ago that was ~90% of what we got, test audiences evidently hated it, and *this* is what they went with.

I said it before, but this movie's main sin is that it's lazy. All the miscellaneous nitpicky poo poo boils down to that. There's loving nothing to care about in this movie. At all.

Yeah, spoiled over a year ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/e7jlwx/wonder_woman_84_entire_movie_synopsis/

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Quoting from the spoiler since it happens exactly this way in the final cut:

But Antiope grabs the spear out of her hands and Diana loses. She complains, saying it’s not fair and she should have won. Antiope knows she cheated, taking the other path. There’s a lesson here about patience and not taking the easy way out.

This whole thing makes no sense as the horse follows the path and so the only difference is whether she was on the horse the entire time. It would've been just as easy to say she lost because she skipped the targets.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

WTF when did she switch to the bird armor? She was just swinging from lightning out in the middle of nowhere.

This movie makes no loving sense.

Midair after lassoing some clouds. Its the second instantaneous unexplained costume change, like that one in the car in Egypt, like they shot it twice and just mashed it together

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the moral about working hard is nice, but the example we're given is someone who has wealth and power by virtue of being a literal demigod and princess. the critique of lord and minerva comes across more as "don't try to rise above your station" – stagg pretty much says as much (you're fake rich! your real name is latino!).

meanolmrcloud posted:

So wait, at the end, it explicitly showed...reverse footage of a silo launch but also missles just evaporating. And all of the bad things stopped, but the reunion takes place in a cheaply dressed field of trash that didn’t get reversed too?

I also felt like I was going crazy because I must’ve missed why people were mobbing outside of Max’s building as his power was increasing, and the mobs just grew and grew like it was meaningful or I should know why people would want to be in front of the business that owns ‘half the worlds oil’. He also stated his motivation at the end was to get more health and poo poo, but before that, it seems like he NEEDS to grant wishes. What’s his goal? To just grant wishes and take stuff from every person on the planet?

I knew the movie was going to be lovely when they hopped in a plane and flew to Egypt, no big deal.

his character makes no sense lol. how did he learn about the magic gem in the first place!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
also i'm not sure what to make of the apartheid wall, symbolically speaking.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

exmarx posted:

the moral about working hard is nice, but the example we're given is someone who has wealth and power by virtue of being a literal demigod and princess. the critique of lord and minerva comes across more as "don't try to rise above your station" – stagg pretty much says as much (you're fake rich! your real name is latino!).

should have had wonder woman just sing "imagine" to the whole world to bring them together tbh

exmarx posted:

also i'm not sure what to make of the apartheid wall, symbolically speaking.

Worse, it was the fault of the guy wanting the colonizers out that the wall got erected and the people inside were starving

text editor fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 26, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
With this and the Cleopatra stuff, Gal Gadot has to be the absolute worst.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I enjoyed *parts* of the movie, but the overall whole was really bleh and a bit baffling. Despite the body horror I liked whenever Diana and Steve were together. I especially like how they handled Steve's role; he's clearly competent and useful but also very clearly the sidekick. I also thought Barbara was an interesting character who was wasted in the movie despite all her screen time. It would have been a much better movie if it had just been Diana vs Barbara and Lord was relegated to the background, or honestly just not present at all. Also I couldn't get over Pedro Pascal looking like discount Nathan Fillion every time he was on screen.

Lord's whole *thing* just seemed extremely hamfisted, and felt like it was a little too on the nose Trump reference. Not exactly what I want in a superhero movie right now. A competent evil businessman would have been more threatening, and the DCU has an opening for one since they decided to portray Luthor as a manic Mark Zuckerberg. Lord mostly just came across as sad and desperate. Also loving lol that the climax of the movie is Gal Gadot looking directly into the camera and telling everyone that wishing for things is bad. Are you trying to tell me not one person wished for world peace? The nukes were flying and nobody wished it wasn't happening? Its just so baffling and cynical that everyone in the world had lovely wishes that they all regretted, and that everyone decided to renounce them because Dr. Pangloss stared at them uncomfortably from their TVs and said that wanting things was bad.

Also my wife got very annoyed at the clear lesbian undertones Barbara was giving off towards Diana because it was obvious the movie was going to do absolutely nothing with it except queerbait.

All in all I think it was worth exactly what I paid for it: my already existing HBO subscription. I enjoyed the first Wonder Woman enough that had the world not been covered in death I probably would have gone to the theaters to see it, so I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It reeks of some social media intern at WB/DC letting the suits know that there's a lot of criticism of Gal Gadot for her involvement and propagandizing of the IDF on Twitter, Tumblr, etc and then they give Jenkins a note saying "HAVE WONDER WOMAN SAVE SOME BROWN KIDS".

It might've worked better if the whole sequence didn't look so loving cheap. The fan made superhero re-enactments on YT have better quality.

You could tell the kids were just dummies. It was 2002 Spider-man tier effects

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 26, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the DC heroes and supervillains who were alive at the time who would have 100% wished for their ultimate character defining desire were asleep at the time. Dr. Savanna would have 100% asked for access to the Wizard Shazam's lair.

Bruce Wayne was probably lifting weights in a room without a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

I just can't enjoy fantastical stories if there isn't realistic flight control systems in place

Eh, it would've been fine if it wasn't just totally outrageous. I watched it with my family who aren't nitpickers and even they were like "I'm pretty sure museum planes don't have engines, let alone fuel or missiles.'

My actual nitpick is that a Cheetah isn't an apex predator. Half the time it gets chased off from its own kills because it has an incredibly weak bite strength. It can't even roar. It purrs like a housecat because it's essentially what it is.