Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nurmie posted:

A planetwide derelict corporation-built pyramid scheme-funded ghost city is an incredibly cool idea for a setting, actually

"Galactic overlord Crob has declared that everyone will live on CityWorld, all agriculture to be carried out by drones on FarmPlanets. The people are not happy with this" Could be a nice plot hook for a dystopian scifi story.

Really city-planets are terrible when you think about it for more than three seconds, but they're in Star Wars so everyone kinda accepts them

EDIT: Hell of a thing to snipe about, have a dog on a helicopter:

https://i.imgur.com/oN2uuJi.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HAmbONE posted:

Merry Christmas to all citizens of stars and to all a [connection to server lost]

Turns out Santa has a nice list, a naughty list and a list of Star Citizen whales. The whales only get 30k errors under their trees (and the trees end up standing on chairs).

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Bumble He posted:

enjoy the holidays everyone, with the cloud imperium christmas album, only 49,99 + 23 for shipping!

"All I Want for Christmas PU"
"Glitchin’ Around the Christmas Tree"
"Last Bugfest"
“Sata Ball is coming to town“
"Jingle Bell Roc"
"White Connie"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Idris"
“Do they know its pledge time?“
"Hobo the Red-Nosed Reindeer"

:gary: :yarg:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

There's also significant obfuscation in here, I think. For example, CR talks about this being the best year ever in terms of "new player growth" but doesn't specify what that means. If we look at "new web accounts made" this certainly was a good year - better than the last few by a significant amount - but not "the best" as you can see here:

So what does 'new player growth' mean, exactly? We know they added ~437,891 new web accounts, and at a 40% capture rate that suggests they added ~176,382.4948 new paying customers over the year, but again that's just an estimate because they didn't actually tell us how many new people paid them money over the course of the year. That number doesn't seem like "best year ever" material, so it must be something else, but gently caress knows what criteria they used to get there.

Growth I think is looking a the increase from the previous year. Which is ~61.0%. Isn't this a common way to spin numbers? As it neatly sidesteps the fact numbers have been down ~50% from their peak four years ago.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Things are getting downright stimperical

https://v.redd.it/9271frmm8j761/DASH_720.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It’s just occurred to me that Crytek were spot on about SQ42 not being 'ripe'

And that Chris has weirdly never boasted once about their triumphant validation in the court case. You’d think he’d be up for a bit of that

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

A friend just raised this theory: what if sq42 is being remade not because it's Duke Nukem Forever, but because Roberts doesn't want his ex wife in it?

Sandi’s gone? Wha?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anticheese posted:

A friend just raised this theory: what if sq42 is being remade not because it's Duke Nukem Forever, but because Roberts doesn't want his ex wife in it?

Neither of these two are on the project anymore. They both left two years ago.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Pixelate posted:

And that Chris has weirdly never boasted once about their triumphant validation in the court case. You’d think he’d be up for a bit of that

Maybe they settled and cannot comment on the terms.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Sandi’s gone? Wha?

for a long time now

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I believe she stopped showing up in videos, and then on a rare CRoberts appearance, his wedding band was missing.

I still can't believe SC is still "living." I wonder the wheels finally come off, what will the be the catalyst? Just too long in its current state? It somehow getting buggier? Less buggy so that it's boring parts becoming overwhelming?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It won't end until SQ42 releases in any form, be it alpha or full commercial release. That's when the illusion that Chris Roberts has any idea what he's doing ends.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Not Koo bro, dickshots, not Koo!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still maintain that if people would stop throwing money at this dreams.txt game, that it would magically be finished within a year. There is no incentive for CIG to finish the game, they will just keep packing on more and more features so long as their funding continues to skyrocket like it has.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

JugbandDude posted:

Maybe they settled and cannot comment on the terms.

Yeah they did settle (each paying their own costs, and with Crytek’s 500k bond being returned to them). But there are ways to do a little victory dance if you came out comfortably ahead right? Extolling your Lumberyard status, talking up 'Star Engine', emphasising how the latest technical miracles you have unleashed are thanks to your ever-improving game engine. Loads of little stage winks to the crowd they could have gone for.

Chris just managed to boast about only 2.5% of their player base actually playing the game on a daily basis. There’s nothing he wouldn’t latch onto to spin a triumphal narrative of forward momentum (while laying sick burns on the doubters). Just seems interesting that he’s not going near this one.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 26, 2020

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

watch this it has nothing to do with space or goons or anything but its glorious :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXca4WcCzlo

i'm drunk

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:
Did his opponent somehow shoot himself in the groin? I'm confused as to what happened

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boywhiz88 posted:

I believe she stopped showing up in videos, and then on a rare CRoberts appearance, his wedding band was missing.

Jesus Christ that’s bleak, lmao.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chris personally mocapped this animation.
They had 20 ping pong balls stuck to his crotch, to capture all the fidelity.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The roadmap to me has no inherent hype. I think some people see it as this thing that exists on its own. It's just a fancy way of looking at the work of hundreds of developers. That work exists and progresses whether the roadmap exists or not.

I log in with each patch and I'm LITERALLY BLOWN AWAY by the progress. I am not alone. Reddit is littered with the same - the distribution of posts of people seriously excited about what's being delivered grows in proportion to the alternate feelings with every single patch. This is corroborated by the player participation data and the pledge-o-meter performance.

I don't need hype when I can hold quality output in my hands. So no hype - they are on a great trajectory, delivering solid progress, and the roadmap is an unprecedented view into how it all gets done. Hype not required!

The proof in the pudding is in the eating, as the phrase goes. And the eating is currently very good!

Merry Christmas!

quote:

Dude, you need to realize a few things:
  1. The amount of hate is actually relatively tiny; the term "vocal minority" exists for a reason, and applies here, 1000%.
  2. If you want to see the counter balance to the angsty, vitriolic hatred on the forums and here, simply take a gander at that skyrocketing, astronomical, World Record Setting "Pledge O Meter" and remember that people generally don't spend money on things they don't enjoy, and you'll understand that for every 1 hater, there are literally 10's of thousands of supporters.
Then take a deep breath, let it out with a smile and understand you are on the right side of history, as is being borne out in data points that cannot be angrily argued away.

The "negative narrative" has changed little since it began in 2013, but the game has progressed enough that it just keeps looking sillier and sillier.

The inflection point where this game proved it's on the right path and is awesome and continuing to be more awesome with every quarterly release occurred back in the early 3.x release cycle, when persistence started to gel and you can see that reflected in the funding gains and most recently in the amazingly elucidating player engagement metrics that Chris shared in his end of year letter.

Haters gonna hate. That they claim to be done with the game, but like a cringey stalker spend all their time here hating on it, is the real puzzler!

Bottom line: let not your heart be troubled. All is well in SC!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

lust on his mind

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol so Sandi got off the grift train?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

6) They have like 5 engineers dedicated to bug fixing out of the whole pool, lol

From way back but you don't need big fixers if you never introduce new features!

(Sadly that's not really true; everything they introduce is a bug-riddled mess).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Sandi’s gone? Wha?

As soon as a trust was created to care for her children and a big house was bought Sandi disappeared. :iiam: indeed.

Taintrunner posted:

Jesus Christ that’s bleak, lmao.

Don't worry, I'm sure the millions they have gotten from dumb nerds will help them cope with the bleakness

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 26, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Ok so this is really long but you asked lots of questions that require more than tweet length for satisfying answers. Grab some water.

quote:

There have been two separate engines for Star Citizen. Neither of them are good choices.

In 2011, there were no good choices available for what Chris Roberts wanted to do. One way or another he'd end up having to dramatically rewrite large chunks of any engine they adopted. UE4 was not ready for prime time until 2014 and UE3 was long in the tooth.

quote:

Why did they choose Lumberyard over Unreal 5, which would actually allow them to do the zero g they wanted?

Because Lumberyard is CryEngine so they did less of an engine swap and more of a license swap when they made the switch? The Crytek vs CIG court case revealed that CIG had licensed the old versions of CryEngine that Amazon bought from Crytek, which meant they could take one of the earliest post-switchover commits and have what was effectively vanilla CryEngine 3.8 but under license from Amazon instead of from Crytek. Prior to adopting Lumberyard, Star Citizen had standardized on 3.7(.2 I think?) so it was a minor effort to make a small version hop.

In the four or so years since, they've integrated mainstream Lumberyard features and code, and a random Redditor once anecdotally claimed to me that they're now running vanilla Lumberyard instead of Amazon-CryEngine as the foundation for their modifications so pinch of salt with that.

If they'd adopted Unreal Engine, on the other hand, they'd have had to throw out everything and start from scratch on a new engine unlike the CE->Ly switch. Also, UE5 isn't even hitting 1.0 until 2021 so if the zero-g features you're referring to are specific to that 5 that's far too long to wait for an engine to do their work for them: SC had working (if buggy) zero-G EVA in 2014 and meaningful gameplay associated with space EVA with the release of alpha 2.0 in 2015.

quote:

Why did their first person and third person studios not communicate?

The only major problem between CIG and one of its outsourced partners that I know of was Illfonic, and I have no idea what led them to leave their brains at home for sheer months with managing that outsourcing relationship. That was a genuine debacle.

quote:

Why did they not stage releases like Elite?

There have been playable alpha builds with new features since early/mid 2014. They've also been taking the time to develop the engine to handle a lot of things fundamental to gameplay. It'd be the height of foolishness to polish gameplay to release quality and go big on the marketing budget for a launch when that gameplay is lacking core critical features like the ability to walk through your ship a unoccupied manned turret while in flight/combat and not clip through the floor and get left behind in space.

Frontier chose, if choose is necessarily the right word for their financial outlook at the time, to release the absolute basic shell of gameplay at launch and add on the go. They didn't even allow you to form Wings until adding it in the first post-release patch. Landing on airless planets came a year later, and five years later Elite's now adding the ability to get out on foot on planets with no or "tenuous" atmospheres and shoot at each other or scan alien plants.

For people who find Elite as it existed at launch and as it exists now fun and engaging, this method of rolling out the basic game and building onto it with updates as they come makes a lot of sense and is great because you get to get started on permanent progression and ride the new things as they come around the corner. I disagree, because I've had Elite since 2015 and to me the experience has consistently felt like a series of disconnected silos of gameplay that have historically felt like placeholders that never got replaced - a symptom of tacking things onto the side one at a time without considering how they could and logically would interact with each other or at least either not taking or having the time to explore those considerations.

It probably won't surprise you to know that I personally don't value the benefits of a "released" game - permanent earning, killer sound design, reasonable/good levels of optimization and bug occurrence rates - if I'm not having fun actually playing the game. And I wish I did have fun on a consistent basis, I wish I didn't have all these things to say so I could just be with you going "yeah, why didn't they? Worked out flawlessly for Frontier, get on it boys!" It'd be a much shorter post to write and read.

quote:

Why are they working on a single player campaign NOW?

Because the project was, from the very beginning starting with the contract signed between CIG and Crytek (also an exhibit in the court case), about both the Persistent Universe, aka Star Citizen, and the single-player Squadron 42 campaign. Both are using the same engine and shared assets so there's a lot of overlap and synergy, and SC is the modernized analogue of Freelancer while SQ42 is Wing Commander but EA probably wouldn't let Chris use the IP.

The original development plan predicted that they'd bring in about $6 million tops from the crowdfunding campaign, they'd go to private investors to top the tank up to $20-25 million, and they'd spend that making SQ42 with an engine scoped to be similar to early Elite - you'd be nailed to your pilot seat except for cutscene transitions in stations for limited on-foot mission NPC interactions. The plan then was, paying customers willing, that they'd take the profits from SQ42 and develop the engine further and build an online component, and they'd keep plugging away at building more ambition into the game as long as profits kept coming.

As everyone knows, the money tap never shut off so they could develop them both in parallel and use the PU side of the project for public playtesting without exposing SQ42 spoilers, preserving the bulk of the story for (eventual) release.

quote:

But I keep feeling a lot of the difficulties are a culmination of not thinking the problem through and breaking it down into proper chunks.

I can't speak for every single aspect of every part of development because that's a very broad range, but there are cases where they have clearly thought the problem through and broke it into proper chunks.

Consider, for example, the most important software engineering task they're working on right now other than adapting everything to use Vulkan as the rendering API: static server meshing. It's well-known that SC's servers perform badly in practice and it's because of very heavy load with 50 players and a star system full of stuff; it's the EVE Online problem, but it is completely unacceptable to engage Time Dilation in a first-person game while EVE can get away with it in a third-person strategy-action-ish game.

The groundwork for static server meshing began around 2015/2016 with the development of the Megamap, a specially-formatted CryEngine level that acts like the holodecks from Star Trek. It's an empty container that loads whatever it needs and streams things in and out on demand. The first thing the Megamap loads, as far as players are concerned, is the main menu scene. Because the Megamap never actually changes itself to another level, it just changes what content is playing inside of it, gameplay is seamless without loading screens once connected to a game server.

With the Megamap in place, CIG next developed Object Containers and local physics grids. In simple terms, an object container is a local frame of reference for whatever's inside of it. A space ship is an object container and if you were in EVA outside my ship while I walked around in the cargo hold with the door open and my friend sat in the pilot seat and rolled the ship around, everything would work like you'd expect instead of the physics god getting angry and eating everyone. Object containers can be nested and be generally any size. The current alpha test system's planets are object containers, with child object containers around each moon inside each planet's container, with everything being inside the star system's top-level container.

After object containers were working, CIG was able to move onto client-side and then server-side Object Container Streaming. Prior to OCS, both the server and all clients had to simulate everything in the entire star system, a good 70,000-100,000+ entities. This kills performance. OCS allows the client to completely ignore everything too far away for it to care (anything outside the largest nested container of significant size such as a moon) and for the server to shut down simulation processing for areas that do not have any players in them so there don't need to be AI actively walking around for no one.

With OCS working, CIG got started on server meshing and multiple aspects of persistence. Server meshing should allow different server instances to simulate individual object containers, breaking the heavy load apart across multiple servers working in a swarm. When a particular object container has no players in it, the entire instance running it can be shut down - after saving the data in the server for persistence so when someone flies back into it later everything is where it should be. Neither of these are implemented yet so we'll see if they can get one or both in-game in the next year.

From the Megamap to server meshing, each of the engine tech developments I listed is a dependency for the thing that comes after it. I left out little details and minor tech enhancements, but here's an example of CIG thinking things through for a continuous chain of engine enhancements over a five-year span.

There's also no good point in this chain of dependency-building leading up to server meshing that was particularly suitable for pushing through to release-quality polish and optimization to pull Elite-style staged releases, because engine fundamentals were missing.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

drat, this made me laugh hard. That chap is not doing well.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!

Edit: And then he shoots him in the head at the end. Priceless.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/progress-tracker based on current estimate

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Answer The Call 2024 (10 year anniversary edition)

I mean seriously. 2024. I'm calling it.

edit- no, it's never coming out.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mirificus posted:

In 2011, there were no good choices available for what Chris Roberts wanted to do. One way or another he'd end up having to dramatically rewrite large chunks of any engine they adopted. UE4 was not ready for prime time until 2014 and UE3 was long in the tooth.

Because Lumberyard is CryEngine so they did less of an engine swap and more of a license swap when they made the switch? The Crytek vs CIG court case revealed that CIG had licensed the old versions of CryEngine that Amazon bought from Crytek, which meant they could take one of the earliest post-switchover commits and have what was effectively vanilla CryEngine 3.8 but under license from Amazon instead of from Crytek. Prior to adopting Lumberyard, Star Citizen had standardized on 3.7(.2 I think?) so it was a minor effort to make a small version hop.

In the four or so years since, they've integrated mainstream Lumberyard features and code, and a random Redditor once anecdotally claimed to me that they're now running vanilla Lumberyard instead of Amazon-CryEngine as the foundation for their modifications so pinch of salt with that.

If they'd adopted Unreal Engine, on the other hand, they'd have had to throw out everything and start from scratch on a new engine unlike the CE->Ly switch. Also, UE5 isn't even hitting 1.0 until 2021 so if the zero-g features you're referring to are specific to that 5 that's far too long to wait for an engine to do their work for them: SC had working (if buggy) zero-G EVA in 2014 and meaningful gameplay associated with space EVA with the release of alpha 2.0 in 2015.

The only major problem between CIG and one of its outsourced partners that I know of was Illfonic, and I have no idea what led them to leave their brains at home for sheer months with managing that outsourcing relationship. That was a genuine debacle.

There have been playable alpha builds with new features since early/mid 2014. They've also been taking the time to develop the engine to handle a lot of things fundamental to gameplay. It'd be the height of foolishness to polish gameplay to release quality and go big on the marketing budget for a launch when that gameplay is lacking core critical features like the ability to walk through your ship a unoccupied manned turret while in flight/combat and not clip through the floor and get left behind in space.

Frontier chose, if choose is necessarily the right word for their financial outlook at the time, to release the absolute basic shell of gameplay at launch and add on the go. They didn't even allow you to form Wings until adding it in the first post-release patch. Landing on airless planets came a year later, and five years later Elite's now adding the ability to get out on foot on planets with no or "tenuous" atmospheres and shoot at each other or scan alien plants.

For people who find Elite as it existed at launch and as it exists now fun and engaging, this method of rolling out the basic game and building onto it with updates as they come makes a lot of sense and is great because you get to get started on permanent progression and ride the new things as they come around the corner. I disagree, because I've had Elite since 2015 and to me the experience has consistently felt like a series of disconnected silos of gameplay that have historically felt like placeholders that never got replaced - a symptom of tacking things onto the side one at a time without considering how they could and logically would interact with each other or at least either not taking or having the time to explore those considerations.

It probably won't surprise you to know that I personally don't value the benefits of a "released" game - permanent earning, killer sound design, reasonable/good levels of optimization and bug occurrence rates - if I'm not having fun actually playing the game. And I wish I did have fun on a consistent basis, I wish I didn't have all these things to say so I could just be with you going "yeah, why didn't they? Worked out flawlessly for Frontier, get on it boys!" It'd be a much shorter post to write and read.

Because the project was, from the very beginning starting with the contract signed between CIG and Crytek (also an exhibit in the court case), about both the Persistent Universe, aka Star Citizen, and the single-player Squadron 42 campaign. Both are using the same engine and shared assets so there's a lot of overlap and synergy, and SC is the modernized analogue of Freelancer while SQ42 is Wing Commander but EA probably wouldn't let Chris use the IP.

The original development plan predicted that they'd bring in about $6 million tops from the crowdfunding campaign, they'd go to private investors to top the tank up to $20-25 million, and they'd spend that making SQ42 with an engine scoped to be similar to early Elite - you'd be nailed to your pilot seat except for cutscene transitions in stations for limited on-foot mission NPC interactions. The plan then was, paying customers willing, that they'd take the profits from SQ42 and develop the engine further and build an online component, and they'd keep plugging away at building more ambition into the game as long as profits kept coming.

As everyone knows, the money tap never shut off so they could develop them both in parallel and use the PU side of the project for public playtesting without exposing SQ42 spoilers, preserving the bulk of the story for (eventual) release.

I can't speak for every single aspect of every part of development because that's a very broad range, but there are cases where they have clearly thought the problem through and broke it into proper chunks.

Consider, for example, the most important software engineering task they're working on right now other than adapting everything to use Vulkan as the rendering API: static server meshing. It's well-known that SC's servers perform badly in practice and it's because of very heavy load with 50 players and a star system full of stuff; it's the EVE Online problem, but it is completely unacceptable to engage Time Dilation in a first-person game while EVE can get away with it in a third-person strategy-action-ish game.

The groundwork for static server meshing began around 2015/2016 with the development of the Megamap, a specially-formatted CryEngine level that acts like the holodecks from Star Trek. It's an empty container that loads whatever it needs and streams things in and out on demand. The first thing the Megamap loads, as far as players are concerned, is the main menu scene. Because the Megamap never actually changes itself to another level, it just changes what content is playing inside of it, gameplay is seamless without loading screens once connected to a game server.

With the Megamap in place, CIG next developed Object Containers and local physics grids. In simple terms, an object container is a local frame of reference for whatever's inside of it. A space ship is an object container and if you were in EVA outside my ship while I walked around in the cargo hold with the door open and my friend sat in the pilot seat and rolled the ship around, everything would work like you'd expect instead of the physics god getting angry and eating everyone. Object containers can be nested and be generally any size. The current alpha test system's planets are object containers, with child object containers around each moon inside each planet's container, with everything being inside the star system's top-level container.

After object containers were working, CIG was able to move onto client-side and then server-side Object Container Streaming. Prior to OCS, both the server and all clients had to simulate everything in the entire star system, a good 70,000-100,000+ entities. This kills performance. OCS allows the client to completely ignore everything too far away for it to care (anything outside the largest nested container of significant size such as a moon) and for the server to shut down simulation processing for areas that do not have any players in them so there don't need to be AI actively walking around for no one.

With OCS working, CIG got started on server meshing and multiple aspects of persistence. Server meshing should allow different server instances to simulate individual object containers, breaking the heavy load apart across multiple servers working in a swarm. When a particular object container has no players in it, the entire instance running it can be shut down - after saving the data in the server for persistence so when someone flies back into it later everything is where it should be. Neither of these are implemented yet so we'll see if they can get one or both in-game in the next year.

From the Megamap to server meshing, each of the engine tech developments I listed is a dependency for the thing that comes after it. I left out little details and minor tech enhancements, but here's an example of CIG thinking things through for a continuous chain of engine enhancements over a five-year span.

There's also no good point in this chain of dependency-building leading up to server meshing that was particularly suitable for pushing through to release-quality polish and optimization to pull Elite-style staged releases, because engine fundamentals were missing.

:same:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Please go stand by the escalator
https://i.imgur.com/gbvXMnJ.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Uhm excuse me, I own an Idris so I am a MAN not a boy. And, according to the roadmap you’ll soon be moping it.

Well this is my day after Christmas present then! Yay!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Someone also mentioned that one possible reason for crobblers not updating at all on SQ42 progress (haha) is necessary to prevent the Calders using the public info against them with regards to eventual milestones conditions etc. Well this letter from the chairman nicely manages to seal that risk by presenting the backers a pseudo rational to justify zero updates that many will actually fall head over heels to believe.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

i wonder how many children each woman would need to have on average from now until 2950 or whatever, to fill a city planet. ArcCorp is basically one of those ghost cities in China.

Not volunteering for this mission, space cowboy. :lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Is this a bug or did they make a "shot in the dick and I die" animation?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Boywhiz88 posted:

I still can't believe SC is still "living." I wonder the wheels finally come off, what will the be the catalyst? Just too long in its current state? It somehow getting buggier? Less buggy so that it's boring parts becoming overwhelming?

At this point I feel the only thing that can stop it will be it's continued development and terrible practices.

I feel like "now wait for 48 hours for your ship to respawn from a bug" is helping that.

A big push into it I think may be the upcoming medical gameplay, where-in the concept is to just add additional ways to punish a player for attempting to play the game.

Scarring, permanent-death, having to give your ships to whatever next of kin means... basically stabbing the role players in the eyes at that point.

The mechanic should be "ok"-ish for people who just want to play a game and not worry about building a character, and so long as death/next of kin doesn't somehow kill their skills or amassed wealth, it may be ok for them. Since their character is less a character and more a moving camera in a world.

But for the serious role players, the ho want to live a life in the verse, this feels like it is a big loogie in their faces straight from the Crobbler. Everybody wants to be Han Solo... but in a game wher you can die from walking on a flat floor... Han Solo gonna have some serious injuries and cybernetic parts until his untimely demise from "walking down a stairway" where in now suddenly you got to spool up Han Solo Jr to take over for your legacy.

Not sure how many people want to play disposable characters like that... but I guess we'll see eventually if they can actually build it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

Please go stand by the escalator
https://i.imgur.com/gbvXMnJ.mp4

Pretty sure tentacles were supposed to pop out of it at the end. I guess Japan is just continuing to fail in the technology advancement world.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't believe I read that poo poo but it's funny that CIG is expending effort into shutting off unoccupied but populated (by NPCs) parts of the universe as if there are even enough places to fit their entire active player base should they choose to log on at the same time.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Is this a bug or did they make a "shot in the dick and I die" animation?

Nut shots are actually pretty common in games. Johnny Cage's low blow in Mortal Kombat, nut shots in Soldier of Fortune, groin shots in Fallout 1 and 2, nut shots(and an achievement for it) in Saints Row 2 and every WWE game has low blows.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This thread: what kind of person keeps throwing money at Star Citizen in year 8?

Citizens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMoZQ75QhYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kilus aof posted:

Nut shots are actually pretty common in games. Johnny Cage's low blow in Mortal Kombat, nut shots in Soldier of Fortune, groin shots in Fallout 1 and 2, nut shots(and an achievement for it) in Saints Row 2 and every WWE game has low blows.

Goddamn I loved Soldier of Fortune - that was the ghoul engine, right? It was satisfying and even affected gameplay - if you could see only a guy's foot around the corner, you could shoot it, he'd fall in that direction, and you could finish him off. Neck shots in particular were cool because they were a pixel or two off from a headshot but much harder to pull off.

That game was so loving over the top violent I have no idea how it slipped past the moral guardian radar in its time.