Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My mother (83) is making my sister's head explode. She's just not taking the lockdowns seriously. Yesterday she was in church with 40 people, mixed with two different households, turned up at my sister's (just walked in) with one of my brothers who has also been mixing with several households. (Mum did Xmas dinner with brother). Now, she's just turned up at my niece's to bring birthday present to little kiddie - just walked in.
I spoke to her last night and told her that she shouldn't and she'd be breaking the law if she did, and she swore that she would stay at the end of the garden but she didn't, she just walked into the house - wearing a mask that she took off the second she walked in.
My sister's finding it really tough to deal with.

page snipe:

What is the significance of 153 fish in the Bible?
So, not only does the 153 big fishes refer to the 153000 constructors of the first temple, it also means "a very large unknown number". This is also coherent with the first observation of one of the apostles when looking inside the net: there was a multitude of fishes.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Happy Boxing Day thread, it was nice catching up on various meal reports and general Christmas nonsense this morning, hope you enjoy the twilight zone between Christmas and New Year with much merriment and liking the food you like and if someone else has different taste thats the way to lick the platter clean.

I remember Christmas Day tv being a lot better than the wretchedness that was on yesterday, but ended up watching Normal People on iplayer which was nice but not very festive.

this was festive and nerdy enough though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXv3Tt4x20

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My sister's finding it really tough to deal with.

Sorry to hear, hope it works out. Hear a few deniers making this holiday poo poo for people involved, hope you get the chance to have a direct conversation. What happened with talking to your niece about Christmas btw?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The last generations having no survival instinct does explain why everyone seemed so ready to join up in the wars

None of them seem to give a gently caress about death. It's both admirable and deeply disturbing.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

All creams are garbage. Nut based chocolates are superior but I assume they're more expensive which is why Crapitalism bulks out tins with creams.

Milkyways from Celebrations seem less sickly, I wonder if they've tweaked the recipe? They'd become horrible compared to how I remembered them from childhood.

Muskateer chocolate bars are meant to be close to the old old Milky way recipe although I can't remember what that used to be like :corsair:

Strawberry creams are garbage sweets that make every other chocolate in the tin the same flavour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

Sorry to hear, hope it works out. Hear a few deniers making this holiday poo poo for people involved, hope you get the chance to have a direct conversation. What happened with talking to your niece about Christmas btw?

Well after all the kerfuffle with the changed rules last week, it got sidelined until a couple of days ago. Then they phoned me on my phone which I have trouble hearing through (why oh why won't people use messengers, voips etc when I can use headphone/microphone headset? I digress). So my great-niece started telling me I had to do Xmas because of Baby Jesus and I said had school told her about Jewish people, Muslim people and various Christian sects that don't celebrate Christmas yet) at which point she wandered off and her mum came on and said she'd got bored now. (Though knowing the great-niece it was because there was 'new information' to digest.)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

The last generations having no survival instinct does explain why everyone seemed so ready to join up in the wars

None of them seem to give a gently caress about death. It's both admirable and deeply disturbing.

I’m a firm believer that lead in petrol fumes turned an entire generation’s brains to pudding

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Noxville posted:

I’m a firm believer that lead in petrol fumes turned an entire generation’s brains to pudding

I'm from a generation where we still had mercury in the classroom and used mouth siphon to do various pressure experiments with mercury. We used to deliberately spill it on the bench and have fun rolling it around.
And mercury (in 'amalgam') fillings were a thing until 1997.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Aren't fox hunts still banned or did I miss the Tories legalising bloodsports again.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Private Speech posted:

Aren't fox hunts still banned or did I miss the Tories legalising bloodsports again.

If your foxless hunt just happens to accidentally find and kill a fox that's okay

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

horseback dogwalking

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Continuity NIP posted:

If your foxless hunt just happens to accidentally find and kill a fox that's okay

Just because the hunt can't deliberately go after foxes doesn't mean you can't casually mention that they might not want to be going down the lower fields today, it's bit muddy. You'd do better going the top way, by the hawthorn bushes over there, no not that one. And you may want to let the dogs sniff around that bit too...

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

justcola posted:

hope you enjoy the twilight zone between Christmas and New Year
The Festive Gooch, or in more polite company, the Festive Perineum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

What does goose taste like?

A lot like duck, it is a very nice meat if you can afford it. Very fatty and as noted it tends to basically boil in its own copious amounts of fat, leaving a delicious skin and incredibly rich meat.

Basically you eat it and you feel like an angry frenchman should roll you over to the guillotine for your sins.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 26, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I roast a duck for the first time and parts of it are basically just duck flavoured cream it basically owns and made me feel incredibly luxurious and now my coat is extra glossy

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jacksbrat posted:

Who are you, Her Maj Brenda or something?

Merry St Stephen's Day all, I also enjoyed reading the food conflicts because there were no low stakes arguments at home yesterday.

Nah i just grew up near a river with a power line over it.

Without any bird scarers on it.

When a swan kills itself and knocks the power it when it's coming in to land you can ring Her Majesty' Swan Adjutant with its ring number and report the death - and ask if she would mind you eating it.

She usually says to go ahead.

Happened a couple of times before the power company eventually installed the bird scarers on the line.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm from a generation where we still had mercury in the classroom and used mouth siphon to do various pressure experiments with mercury. We used to deliberately spill it on the bench and have fun rolling it around.
I remember we had mercury in the classroom but if it got spilled the teacher would run around throwing sulphur on it. But also pausing to point out how the droplets moved.

I also remember heatproof mats being called asbestos mats but they'd take pains to point out that they weren't actually asbestos, they were just called that also they were almost certainly chrysotile, which is asbestos.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Noxville posted:

That and the prion diseases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

When a swan kills itself and knocks the power it when it's coming in to land you can ring Her Majesty' Swan Adjutant with its ring number and report the death - and ask if she would mind you eating it.

Happened a couple of times before the power company eventually installed the bird scarers on the line.

If you hadn't called the number they might not have done it and you could still be eating swan.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Elemental mercury is (mostly) harmless in liquid form - just goes straight through you, can play with it with your hands fine if you wash them afterwards. It's gaseous or dissolved mercury that rots your brain, so you've just gotta keep it away from any source of heat. It's mostly been phased out because it's a bitch to dispose of properly without getting it in the water table more than any risk to people handling it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't they used to prescribe mercury as a laxative?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Elemental mercury is (mostly) harmless in liquid form - just goes straight through you, can play with it with your hands fine if you wash them afterwards. It's gaseous or dissolved mercury that rots your brain, so you've just gotta keep it away from any source of heat. It's mostly been phased out because it's a bitch to dispose of properly without getting it in the water table more than any risk to people handling it.
It does throw off a bunch of mercury vapor just sitting there on a sunny day though. I remember the H&S video with a beaker full of mercury using Schlieren photography or similar on a bench on a warm day and I don't really want that building up in my fats.

Organomercury salts are another matter entirely and gently caress all that.

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't they used to prescribe mercury as a laxative?
They used to prescribe calomel for literally everything and they shouldn't have. Liquid mercury will make you poo poo yourself so yeah they probably did, followed by a big draught of morphine tincture to stop you making GBS threads yourself, then an arsenic salt of cocaine because why not.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

When we were at school, hand washing wasn't much of a thing except in cookery class.
We didn't wear safety goggles in the labs, experiments were done by the whole class working in groups of 2 or 3 (eg hydrogen sulphide) instead of in a fume cupboard (or even maybe they're banned now?) Mouth-pipetting acids...
'Elf n Safety? Who he?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking back on it, I can remember the whole ruckus over asbestos mats being renamed heatproof mats to not suggest that they contained any asbestos, while all the while they did (but one of the less dangerous types), so I can sort of understand now why some Daily Mail types think that Health and Safety is some kind of pagan ritual where you just rename things to remove their power.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Private Speech posted:

Laws are only as good as their enforcement.
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/news/2020/11/18/leaked-webinar-catches-retired-police-chief-advocating-a-smokescreen-to-help-fox-hunters/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hunters-with-whips-filmed-pursuing-injured-stag-across-exmoor-jdqgxngqv

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
For all that we can laugh at Americans hunting feral pigs with AR-15s from helicopters, at least it's more humane than anything the British upper class call hunting.

:911: I've mounted a 20mm automatic cannon on a Cessna to hunt stray pigs.
:britain: Witness my 16th century siege engine that flings house cats at dangerous badgers we bred on purpose in order to tear them to shreds and also the cats are on fire.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

For all that we can laugh at Americans hunting feral pigs with AR-15s from helicopters, at least it's more humane than anything the British upper class call hunting.

:911: I've mounted a 20mm automatic cannon on a Cessna to hunt stray pigs.
:britain: Witness my 16th century siege engine that flings house cats at dangerous badgers we bred on purpose in order to tear them to shreds and also the cats are on fire.

Start a paintball match on the moors except with capsaicin balls.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Christmas is great for just doing what you feel like and not feeling loving guilty about it for once. We woke up at noon today and had Yule log for breakfast (since we were too stuffed to have any yesterday), and instead of fussing over who got the end piece we just chopped off both ends like savages 👹

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Elemental mercury is really hard to get in any kind of volume. We do mercury porosimitry in our chemistry department and the BBC contacted the lab a while back because they wanted to shoot some footage of something floating on mercury. We asked them politely to source the 10s of litres of mercury they'd need and get back to us. Firstly they were surprised that we didn't just have gallons of the stuff sitting around, and then they gave up when they realised the cost and time involved in amassing that much mercury.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It’s possible to track the American explorers Lewis and Clark’s trip across the continent hundreds of years ago because one of them was taking mercury as a remedy for constipation (as it’s a heavy metal it literally goes through you). We can still detect and find their campsites because the mercury is still in the ground everywhere he took a poo poo.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s possible to track the American explorers Lewis and Clark’s trip across the continent hundreds of years ago because one of them was taking mercury as a remedy for constipation (as it’s a heavy metal it literally goes through you). We can still detect and find their campsites because the mercury is still in the ground everywhere he took a poo poo.

this is an amazing metaphor for america

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mercury fillings are still a thing and apparently harmless, however, I am not a dentist.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you hadn't called the number they might not have done it and you could still be eating swan.

Well my parents could.

The convenience of a free swan is substantially outweighed by the inconvenience of it killing the power for a day when you get it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

Elemental mercury is really hard to get in any kind of volume. We do mercury porosimitry in our chemistry department and the BBC contacted the lab a while back because they wanted to shoot some footage of something floating on mercury. We asked them politely to source the 10s of litres of mercury they'd need and get back to us. Firstly they were surprised that we didn't just have gallons of the stuff sitting around, and then they gave up when they realised the cost and time involved in amassing that much mercury.
You can get cinnabar in volume and partially dissolve it in a solution of sodium sulphide or polysulfide, then reduce it by electrolysis without most of the H&S or environmental issues of roasting cinnabar, but scaling that up to a Qin Shi Huang lakes of mercury deal just for a film production would have interesting issues.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Absolutely top bit of trivia I found out while researching something else entirely - as a resident of Tower Hamlets I am legally permitted to eat any dead swan I find on the Thames between the Tower and the Lea (I'm not allowed to hunt or trap them because it's a protected wild bird species, but until 1981 I could have gone hog wild - not that there were any swans on that bit of the Thames or that you'd want to eat anything that lived in it at that point).

Mind you I'm also supposed to be ready to turn up at the Tower, billhook in hand, to defend it in the event of invasion in order to get that right, but they were *very* uncool when I tried that when the first yuppies started to move in, a clear invasion attempt if ever I saw one.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Happy Boxing Day, UKMT. Spent most of yesterday sleeping, recovering from work, and today got around to performing some filial duties and calling my dad.

Which was a mistake, because we ended up talking politics and now I feel like poo poo. Which is why I try not to ever talk politics with him, but there was only so much anecdotal Covid conspiracy talk I could handle before I interjected, and then he went, "CNN/BBC etc. are unreliable because they are taken over by the ideology of globalisation and leftism" crap, and I couldn't stop myself from pointing out that when he says "leftism", does he mean idpol, because it's certainly not anti-capitalism, and then he started on the "LGBT are interfering with and destroying people's private lives" and I just went off.

To be fair it was at least somewhat satisfying to point out I'd much rather have had two dads or two mums that actually loved each other instead of a "traditional values" heterosexual family with an abusive mother and an absent father that changes families every few years after he gets bored with them, and if I'd thought orphanage or foster family was an option at that time I would've taken that in an instant too. Still a pointless convo as it's not like he'd ever change his mind about any of it though, so in the end I just made myself super upset for no reason.

Guess I always had a pretty good idea of how bullshit the beliefs and views of both him and his circle are (racism, Trumpism, homophobia, you name it), seeing as there was quite a bit of prejudice I identified and found having to consciously overcome and unpack when I first started living independently, doing some soul-searching and realizing how toxic my upbringing was all those years back, but this was the first time I couldn't stop myself from going into it full-on, and actually hearing all this crap said out loud rather than just suspecting it definitely makes the difference.

I think the part that killed me the most was the absolute arrogance of conviction that those lovely opinions are 100% right and if you have an opposite opinion you must be uneducated youngling, coupled with the fact that most of those issues have absolutely 0% influence on their lives. I can't believe I used to have more than a shred of respect and even looked up to him growing up. Though granted, that might've been more due to the fact that he was never around so it took me longer to figure out there is nothing to respect, whereas I've burned out on any positive feelings towards my mother much earlier as she was directly abusive.

gently caress everything. Gonna have a drink and listen to some revolutionary rap now to convince myself to keep on living.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like a oval office, good for you for telling him to gently caress off. I haven't spoken to my oval office dad in nearly a decade :feelsgood:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a shame really that the same things that make them so detestable also make it so that we cannot hurt them as much as they hurt us and others. I would be much happier if I could do that.

Still it's a point for your character if you can't just sit and listen to it. I'm just sorry you have to deal with all that shite. Definitely take the time to do something you enjoy rather than tending to the feelings of people who don't deserve your consideration.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I mean, it's hard b/c I still have feelings for him, and I had some hope 'cause I've seen him be capable of self-reflection previously which is more than I can say about my mother, but yeah, it's hard to want to salvage any relationship with someone you can hardly respect. Might just have to accept the fact that both of my parents are lost causes and my real family is my brother and my cousins instead, all of them thoroughly decent people.

Wish they wouldn't live across the ocean/the continent though. :smith:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Happy Boxing Day, UKMT. Spent most of yesterday sleeping, recovering from work, and today got around to performing some filial duties and calling my dad.

Which was a mistake, because we ended up talking politics and now I feel like poo poo. Which is why I try not to ever talk politics with him, but there was only so much anecdotal Covid conspiracy talk I could handle before I interjected, and then he went, "CNN/BBC etc. are unreliable because they are taken over by the ideology of globalisation and leftism" crap, and I couldn't stop myself from pointing out that when he says "leftism", does he mean idpol, because it's certainly not anti-capitalism, and then he started on the "LGBT are interfering with and destroying people's private lives" and I just went off.

To be fair it was at least somewhat satisfying to point out I'd much rather have had two dads or two mums that actually loved each other instead of a "traditional values" heterosexual family with an abusive mother and an absent father that changes families every few years after he gets bored with them, and if I'd thought orphanage or foster family was an option at that time I would've taken that in an instant too. Still a pointless convo as it's not like he'd ever change his mind about any of it though, so in the end I just made myself super upset for no reason.

Guess I always had a pretty good idea of how bullshit the beliefs and views of both him and his circle are (racism, Trumpism, homophobia, you name it), seeing as there was quite a bit of prejudice I identified and found having to consciously overcome and unpack when I first started living independently, doing some soul-searching and realizing how toxic my upbringing was all those years back, but this was the first time I couldn't stop myself from going into it full-on, and actually hearing all this crap said out loud rather than just suspecting it definitely makes the difference.

I think the part that killed me the most was the absolute arrogance of conviction that those lovely opinions are 100% right and if you have an opposite opinion you must be uneducated youngling, coupled with the fact that most of those issues have absolutely 0% influence on their lives. I can't believe I used to have more than a shred of respect and even looked up to him growing up. Though granted, that might've been more due to the fact that he was never around so it took me longer to figure out there is nothing to respect, whereas I've burned out on any positive feelings towards my mother much earlier as she was directly abusive.

gently caress everything. Gonna have a drink and listen to some revolutionary rap now to convince myself to keep on living.

This is similar to my situation. Thing is my dad used to be a very understanding and friendly person and mostly still is. It's just everything seems to make him angry now. Lots of perceived slights to national pride, which he never really used to have. I read somewhere that outrage can be addictive. Like any other feeling, outrage is caused by chemicals in our brains and apparently you can become addicted to the precise ones responsible. I wonder if it's that simple. Got angry at something one to many times and now has to be angry all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My father in law was "very pleased" to receive a Jordan Peterson book for Christmas :sigh: I'm worried he's sliding down the boomer slope of doom, he gets very upset with our millennial takes on racism (because he considers himself totally not-racist, rather than being proudly racist, so he's higher up the slope than he could be, but still). He's not even that old, tail end boomer I think.