Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

my eyes tend to just slide off mother goose unless they drop a real trash one and here one is

they have been on a rare hot streak of complete garbage.

like the heavens, Mgg, tombat, chickweed have all been joined in a conjunction of awfulness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why....why would Rudy suddenly see his girlfriend as his loving sister when they've literally dated almost the entire comic run?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

LvK posted:

odd question, but does anyone know what the Nancy strip for June 6th, 1966 is? Thanks!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hell yeah, thank you!

This morning, my dad told me how he specifically remembered that exact date as one of the most pointedly unfunny jokes of his childhood, glad to know it was almost exactly how he described it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

LvK posted:

Hell yeah, thank you!

This morning, my dad told me how he specifically remembered that exact date as one of the most pointedly unfunny jokes of his childhood, glad to know it was almost exactly how he described it.

Have you told him about the thread?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

huh????

that's not how.

that's not.

that's.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like how the wood grain makes it look like he's chasing the demon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

davidspackage posted:

I don't know if he has an iron shirt, but he's pretty determined to chase that devil out of Earth.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ikanreed posted:

I like the implication that the family went and specifically bought caucasian and deep brown colored frosting.

That, or Bernice used the cookies that Luann burned (because let's face it, she's probably burned several batches beforehand) to represent Ben's kids.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why....why would Rudy suddenly see his girlfriend as his loving sister when they've literally dated almost the entire comic run?

riderchop posted:

huh????

that's not how.

that's not.

that's.

If it were me who was staying with a boyfriend and their family, I'd either think that Christmas morning with them is incredibly domestic or imagine that this must be what us being married feels like.

My guess is that Holbrook wanted to write a joke where Fiona was feeling insecure about her relationship with Rudy, and then proceeded to ignore literally everything he wrote about the two. It's stupid because not only have the two been dating for almost two decades, we also spent a couple weeks going over how the only reason Fiona is staying with the Dewclaws is because Rudy was horny lonely and kept risking everyone's safety until everyone caved in to his whims.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 29, 1999)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta-ra-ra_Boom-de-ay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnmhtU_Z1vA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK_2sC19N74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STBaHU_914M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGjJAe-JTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFVlE-pPJM

Whatever its limitations, this comic continues to be my spirit animal.

LvK posted:

Hell yeah, thank you!

Get your dad an account, you coward

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Zelda

(Klima apokalypse=climate apocalypse)
Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Kevin & Kell is brought to you today by the friendly folks at MindGeek.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

If it were me who was staying with a boyfriend and their family, I'd either think that Christmas morning with them is incredibly domestic or imagine that this must be what us being married feels like.

My guess is that Holbrook wanted to write a joke where Fiona was feeling insecure about her relationship with Rudy, and then proceeded to ignore literally everything he wrote about the two. It's stupid because not only have the two been dating for almost two decades, we also spent a couple weeks going over how the only reason Fiona is staying with the Dewclaws is because Rudy was horny lonely and kept risking everyone's safety until everyone caved in to his whims.

It has some real unintentional “haha wouldn’t it be weird if we thought of each other as siblings haha...unless?” energy.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

I love it.

And He Did! (December 4, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 5, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (September 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (January 21, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (June 24, 1935)

Dark Laughter (February 25, 1939)

“Say, ain’t yo’ name Bootsie - ain’t you tha same feller who promised my daughter a big job singin’ over tha radio?”

Mopsy Sunday (July 21, 1946)
In 1945, Mopsy added a Sunday strip (though I can’t find any before 1946).

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (December 3, 1949)

“I guess I impressed THAT Santa Claus REAL good … He said he’d rather not wait ’til Christmas to visit OUR house!”

Dinky Fellas (March 16, 1965)

Wee Pals (March 16, 1965)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Merry Christmas you filthy animals, Mämmilä is back! And we continue where we left off: formerly employee-owned Nappila is now Ekox with a new CEO Ulf Ekman and owned by faceless shareholders somewhere, with Anja Koskinen suspecting further vicissitudes down the road. Leevi Pikkula, local sportsman and an ex of Anja is his usual self and doesn't really understand what's going on.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welcome back, Mämmilä!

Classic Kevin and Kell (August 24-28, 1998)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wow. Straight up donating her legal identity to an escaped, cloned sapient creature in order to deceitfully escape living in an adoptive household with MHI and return to living as an item of clothing.

So many layers of wtf-ery.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/25/00

Stephen Collins has the weekend off.

Brenda Starr 2/11/45

Smokey Stover 2/23-25/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/11/45

You know, I really thought it'd be hard to top a literal Banana Republic Nazi Spy plot. Then I thought it would be hard to top a Full Head Transplant plot. I was so so wrong.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

davidspackage posted:

You inspired me.

https://kapwi.ng/c/diBwHNth

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (September 1923)

....he's too infatuated to complain in person?

Also, weren't you posting They'll Do It Every Time?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Zereth posted:

....he's too infatuated to complain in person?

Also, weren't you posting They'll Do It Every Time?

I think those hearts are meant to represent a rapidly beating heart, because he’s so afraid and intimidated.

I was posting TDIET, but I dropped it for Sunday Mopsy, for now. It was a very popular panel, so it’s easy to find on google newspapers if you need a fix.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Which was the strip with the little song pattern to it? The one that never seemed able to stick to the rhythm.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

goatface posted:

Which was the strip with the little song pattern to it? The one that never seemed able to stick to the rhythm.

Them Days is Gone Forever?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In other parent chat my mom used Caspar Milquetoast as a proper noun the other day to refer to a milquetoast person (specifically Tore Hund in Beforeigners), which surprised me as she's too young to have seen the reference directly. She misidentified him as a Thurber character when I asked about it and seemed disinterested when I showed her an example comic.

Alhazred posted:

Zelda

(Klima apokalypse=climate apocalypse)

This particular Zelda is very counterintuitively quaint in that it assumes Trump losing and the COVID-19 vaccine are, on their own, unambiguous changes for the better that won't backfire horribly.

quote:

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Before we head off into the new year I'm just curious- why do you use the Swedish title instead of All Quiet on the Homefront? Somebody offered that up as a reasonable translation at some point. Don't remember if it was you.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Before we head off into the new year I'm just curious- why do you use the Swedish title instead of All Quiet on the Homefront? Somebody offered that up as a reasonable translation at some point. Don't remember if it was you.

As a norwegian I am deeply, DEEPLY offended that you'd mix up norwegian and swedish.
In swedish it would be 'Inget nytt ifrån hemmafronten', massively different, almost unrecognizeably so! :v:
Or something along those lines.

Mummitrollet

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 13, 1942)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Love all these boys with their bare legs.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #125 (1991)

As mentioned before, the feminist record company Olivia Records had pivoted to becoming a travel agency in 1988 as it slipped behind contemporary music trends. Is Shocking Beige a reference to something in particular? I can't tell. Note that somewhat uncommonly Bechdel compensates for her comic being black and white by specifying the color of the tissue paper-- not super graceful but I guess she had to communicate the image somehow.

I think the best gag in this one is "Neat Ritual Objects for Your Den!"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Them Days is Gone Forever?

That is the one, thank you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä
Merry Christmas you filthy animals, Mämmilä is back! And we continue where we left off: formerly employee-owned Nappila is now Ekox with a new CEO Ulf Ekman and owned by faceless shareholders somewhere, with Anja Koskinen suspecting further vicissitudes down the road. Leevi Pikkula, local sportsman and an ex of Anja is his usual self and doesn't really understand what's going on.

Merry Christmas and welcome back! Uffe still mixes my feelings: very affable, very patient, but a capitalist at heart.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Before we head off into the new year I'm just curious- why do you use the Swedish :norway:norwegian:norway: title instead of All Quiet on the Homefront?
No particular reason honestly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

goatface posted:

Love all these boys with their bare legs.
                          /

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #125 (1991)

As mentioned before, the feminist record company Olivia Records had pivoted to becoming a travel agency in 1988 as it slipped behind contemporary music trends. Is Shocking Beige a reference to something in particular? I can't tell. Note that somewhat uncommonly Bechdel compensates for her comic being black and white by specifying the color of the tissue paper-- not super graceful but I guess she had to communicate the image somehow.

I think the best gag in this one is "Neat Ritual Objects for Your Den!"
I never heard of the word "tribadic." I doubt I'll get much use out of it but I like new words. The alliteration it is used for does add a 60s Batman vibe to the intro narration though.

F Minus

Well, no, sorry.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Mary's special good friend.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Package delivered.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Yvonmukluk