Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

I still love my cats as much as, maybe even more than, weed.

Agreed but cats + weed makes a synergistic combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Then blue dream, Thai stick, Haze and the other big name strains from the past. And heck, it would be cool if you could like order samples of cannabis cup winners.

Isn't "Thai stick" a preparation of some kind, a cola wound in string and dipped in oil or something weird like that?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Agreed but cats + weed makes a synergistic combination

Cats who love weed are the best imo, and I'm lucky to be blessed with such a feline stoner.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Whoever it was in this thread that recommended this grinder just won xmas for me because it is the loving tits.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XW6XWM7/?coliid=I20OHIH24KASV6

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Target Track Jacket posted:

Whoever it was in this thread that recommended this grinder just won xmas for me because it is the loving tits.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XW6XWM7/?coliid=I20OHIH24KASV6

That was me. Still love mine, 2 months in. I think I've only charged the battery once. It's perfect for filling S&B dosing capsules. Lately I've been putting a layer of kief in the middle. Very good

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

That was me. Still love mine, 2 months in. I think I've only charged the battery once. It's perfect for filling S&B dosing capsules. Lately I've been putting a layer of kief in the middle. Very good

God bless you, friend!
I picked up three 8ths of Florida Orange (Key Lime Surprise x Clementine) because it's possibly my new favorite strain and they just sold out on half-ounces of it.
The guy at the dispensary said he hasn't seen it fly out of stock so quickly so I must not be the only fan.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

Isn't "Thai stick" a preparation of some kind, a cola wound in string and dipped in oil or something weird like that?

I heard of it on old Cheech and Chong tapes that my uncle played for me when I was like 7. I have no clue. For all I know, the Labrador weed Chong got from his dog's poo poo after it ate his stash was legit how it was in the '70s. I'm super glad that the industry is where it is today(And I wouldn't mind getting to work in there as a lab tech doing extraction an' poo poo), but I just know what little has come to me by cultural osmosis.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Thai stick is kind of both the specialty preparation and a strain, I guess more specifically “Thai” is the name of general strain(s) from Thailand but it was basically only available to the English-speaking world in stick form back then. I think a Thai stick is traditionally just a type of cigar but you’d find a lot of people using it as a nice portable chunk of buds to break down and put into whatever piece. Most of its reputation comes from the terrible supply chains and quality of weed at the time, so chances are if you got ahold of some Thai stick it was way higher quality than the dirt weed that made it through the southern border and probably the best strain you’d ever tried. The occasional added kief or oil just made it all the more potent and exotic to your 70s stoners who were used to bone dry outdoor stuff.

Guaranteed Thai stick was responsible for countless teens in the 70s going “its got red hairs, bro!!”

Ror fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 26, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol if your stigmas aren't red

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

Blue Dream fuckin' rules

It's all I've been using this last month. So good, if a little sleepy in high doses.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i havent heard anyone mention thai stick since the 90's. blue dream is still super common in the dispensaries near me

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had "thai stick" once. Bought it in east Nashville off a guy who lived way to close for comfort to a police station in 2001 or 2002.

It was smaller buds, tied to a stem with a strip of the stems' outer fiber, and dipped or rolled in resin, just enough to make the buds tacky as hell. It got me and a few friends high as poo poo. The eighth stick was twice the price of my regular quarter of schwag. Took half the day to smoke one bowl and it didn't like staying lit.

Now whether or not it was actually "thai stick" is beyond me, but that's what I was sold.

E: here's a weedmaps link about it.

https://weedmaps.com/learn/cannabis-and-its-evolution/thai-stick

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2020

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

i havent heard anyone mention thai stick since the 90's. blue dream is still super common in the dispensaries near me

Blue Dream isn't huge in Michigan but luckily it's common enough. Our big strains are GG#4, Green Crack, Wedding Cake and a few others. It's weird because a lot of the medical dispensaries seem to carry roughly the same strains with roughly the same deals regularly, so like when quarantine first started, Red Headed Slut, Green Crack, Wedding Cake and a few weird strains I'd never heard of were fuckin' EVERYWHERE./////////////////////

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Might all buy from the same wholesale grower. If Michigan is anything like Colorado, you have people out there that grow specifically for the wholesale market. This is pretty common out here in the west, and wholesalers like to grow poo poo with name recognition so they can move their product without having to go into extended details about strain cross-breeds and poo poo (though they love doing that poo poo too).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Might all buy from the same wholesale grower. If Michigan is anything like Colorado, you have people out there that grow specifically for the wholesale market. This is pretty common out here in the west, and wholesalers like to grow poo poo with name recognition so they can move their product without having to go into extended details about strain cross-breeds and poo poo (though they love doing that poo poo too).

Yeah, I think that's exactly it. Because it's always like a bunch of a cheap ounce strains, and then roughly the same handful of "top shelf" strains that have complex lineage that's longer than some Wikipedia articles. I usually buy some of both because why not

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My usual haunt rotates top shelf through the house strains. Some months specific strains are members only top shelf, some months it's midshelf. Bottom shelf is always wholesale bought weed they push out the door for $25 cheaper an oz than the cheapest house ounce, even if it tests as well as house weed.

What winds up on what shelf is all up to the dispensary management. There's a lot of shops here I won't bother with because they sell trash weed in comparison to my usual shop, regardless of the shelf. If a place thinks it can get away with selling meh weed for top shelf prices, they probably will, but the reputation will settle on them quick and that's hard to shake.

Just wait until you get weed recalls because someone thinks it's fine to sell poo poo covered in PM and mold.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
thats such a shame even loving reading that last bit. I will smoke a few today in salute of the weed with loving mold on it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue dream was my favorite strain during its heyday. It had a very consistent flavor/high across multiple sources over several years, and it was a great daytime high that I could smoke in the middle of the day every day without my life falling apart. I'm in the illegal weed zone though and it's been a few years since anything called "blue dream" here reminded me of the old stuff. When I can legally grow weed it'll be in my first crop.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sjs00 posted:

thats such a shame even loving reading that last bit. I will smoke a few today in salute of the weed with loving mold on it

How about the time a bunch of pre-rolls got recalled in MI because the people rolling the joints licked them? Legal weed is still really fuckin' weird, but at least you find out now

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, the bulk of the weed producers are generally going to be fine, but there are shady gently caress companies that will sell moldy poo poo because that's what they have.

In Colorado, I explicitly avoid Mjardin, Green Source and Green Solution produced weed. They have poo poo track records for quality. And there are plenty more I don't bother with because they're clearly quantity over quality operations.

The place I go to most often now is one I've trimmed at, and will trim again a few times next year. I've never seen the slightest hint of PM, mold or bugs on any of their product. Yeah an ounce there is $20-50 more than other places in town, but it's all great poo poo. Every strain there is comparable or better to top shelf offerings everywhere else in town except their wholesale bought stuff, and even that's more than adequate for the price.

Once you have an established market and it's not all chaos all the time, the quality overall will come up, but there's always someone out there trying to screw someone for a short term sale, not a long term customer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

How about the time a bunch of pre-rolls got recalled in MI because the people rolling the joints licked them?

thats really weird. ive bought plenty of prerolls from dispensaries in several states but they all looked very much machine rolled - i had no idea there were dispensaries with people handrolling every joint.

(personally i prefer rolling my own because they smoke better than the machine made prerolls, and also ive smoked plenty of joints in my life that had a bit of someone else's spit on them, either from licking it shut or preventing canoeing, but obviously not doing that in covid times!)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2020

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

thats really weird. ive bought plenty of prerolls from dispensaries in several states but they all looked very much machine rolled - i had no idea there were dispensaries with people handrolling every joint.

(personally i prefer rolling my own because they smoke better than the machine made prerolls, and also ive smoked plenty of joints in my life that had a bit of someone else's spit on them, either from licking it shut or preventing canoeing, but obviously not doing that in covid times!)

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/michigan-marijuana-pre-rolls-recalled-because-worker-licked-them/Content?oid=25078498 Yep, pretty amazing!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have eaten the last of my butter, spread on a slice of bread, with jelly on top. Now we wait.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I think I should post in the other thread.

Weed is great.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 29, 2020

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyMcfZr7Ew

I really cannot wait to go and take almost too many gummies and go dance to music like this and totally lose myself in it

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I got a new pipe and forgot the first rule of a new pipe and hit it too hard and got a big piece of weed in my throat and it feels like a hair I can't cough out now it sucks. :(

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Target Track Jacket posted:

I got a new pipe and forgot the first rule of a new pipe and hit it too hard and got a big piece of weed in my throat and it feels like a hair I can't cough out now it sucks. :(

Try some Ben and Jerry's Crazy Flavored Ice Cream. It's delicious also chunky enough to clear throat poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Always buy glass pipe screens every time you're in a headshop

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Step 1 of buying a glass bowl is to evaluate whether they made the hole too big. If it's not the perfect size to use without a screen the pipe is defective.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
even the right sized hole will be too big if there's no resin in it imo. gotta gum it up a bit

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah I'll skate without a screen sometimes but my bong fills up with poo poo p quick

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
UPDATE:

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have eaten the last of my butter, spread on a slice of bread, with jelly on top. Now we wait.

Spending my entire day laughing until my lungs hurt at YouTube reviews of bad movies was a proper way to spend the day. :)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the hole needs to be just right ... too large and itll pull through too much and dirty the rest of your pipe, too small and you cant get a good pull !!! im dealing with the latter issue on a new slide bowl and it sucks. i dont use screens cause theyre too much of a hassle

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i havent used screens since the days of those lovely little metal component pipes that used to be everywhere

all the parts were standardized so you could take different pipes apart and put them together into monsters with multiple "resin chambers" and other bullshit but it just sucked to smoke those no matter what configuration they were in

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a fury edge and got a free water pipe attachment. I smoke once or twice a day just using the glass mouthpiece. Would a water pipe make much difference? I do cough a bit.

Also I went and bought some Durban Poison yesterday, and Legend OG, and Gelato#33.

The Durban Poison, idk who in this thread recommended it, holy poo poo! It really didn't make me hungry at all (dialled fury edge to 430 to get the THC V). Also no paranoia! And then I realised a lot of things needed to be done around the house, and I cleaned/rearranged a bunch of stuff. Best weed purchase so far. I tried it really early, like 3pm, then cooked and ate a normal dinner at 7 with no snacks, then didn't eat until I had the other weed after 9pm.

I tried legend OG a few hours later which is supposed to give you massive couch lock and make you tired. Neither of those happened, but fairly predictably it made me hungry. Does weed have a different effect if you've already had something else? I'm a little disappointed with this strain, I wanted to get nice and tired.

Anyway another thing happened, which is that after grinding the previous weeds I've bought, then those two strains yesterday, my grinder is really gunky. Like the weed is just sticking to it. Do I just submerge it in alcohol? Does it also need to be scrubbed?

And thanks for recommending THCV strains, it seems they really work. The mint cookies I had earlier was ok for not getting hungry but still made me a bit hungry. But the Durban Poison is just utter magic.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah get a water pipe for your dry herb vape. it makes mine like 5x more pleasant to use

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I could find Durban Poison around here. :( There seem to be a bunch of locations of a new chain opening soon, though, per Leafly's map, and I think they might have it. :pray:

e: Looks like it's medical only. piss

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 31, 2020

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
about a year ago someone had great classic strains available and i got a lot of both durban poison and northern lights. so so good.

re: waterpipes thats my favorite way to smoke, using a small bubbler instead of bong though otherwise i get way too high all the time

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

thathonkey posted:

the hole needs to be just right ... too large and itll pull through too much and dirty the rest of your pipe, too small and you cant get a good pull !!! im dealing with the latter issue on a new slide bowl and it sucks. i dont use screens cause theyre too much of a hassle

I can usually fix this by adjusting the screen. Now, I'm only saying "screen" because I thought that's what they were all kind of called as a group, I use little glass ones that shops usually have if I ask for "glass jacks or daisies," because that's what they look like, little glass jacks or flowers. Depending on how you set them in the bowl, they'll make a space that will let you get a good pull but won't let in too much debris.

I don't use metal ones, they just get hosed up really fast and it's creepy smoking through metal, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
the guy talked me into a syringe of something called "htfse" so I squirted some (too much) on the mediocre homegrown in my arizer and whoa.