Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the EU stuff went into additional Rebellion ship types. E-wings I think were particularly lovely and antiquated.

One of the funnier ideas is 'Uglies', ships thrown together from bits and pieces of old ones, with the X-Tie (an X-Wing's central cockpit with a TIE fighter's aerofoil thingies) being considered a marriage of old enemies with the worst of both.

In the Expanded Universe timelines, E-Wings are a ship built to replace the X-Wing. They're newer, more expensive, a little smaller, and can carry some more advanced weapons. Here's a small tour through the soup of letter-wings.

1. V-Wing: From the prequels, looks like an A-wing with really thin foldable TIE wings that snap up on the sides. Supposed to represent the future of both Imp and Rebel fighters.
2. D-Wing: From on of the RPGs. Ugly half-disc thing with one tie wing on one side. Sucks.
3. H-Wing: Big tanky thing, looks kind of like a two-headed Y-Wing.
4. K-Wing: Basically an ugly space A-10, it's all hardpoints and actually has sub wings that point at an angle down from the main wings just to hang more missiles on.
5. T-Wing: The shittiest ship for the worst enemy pilots in TIE Fighter the PC game. Basically built to 'splode, if Star Wars was a shooter this would be that level 1 ship that just flies at you and if you blow up a whole string of them you get a powerup. Looks like an X-Wing fuselage with three little engine stub-wings sticking out in a delta shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i probably mentioned it before, but in Love, Actually its pretty hosed up how most of the relationships are male boss/female employee (prime minister/catering girl, author/maid, boss/secretary, etc)

and the subplot with the dude who's in love with his buddy's new wife, which fine, it happens, but like a total rear end in a top hat he tells her that he will love her until they grow old (that scene where he has caroling music and does a bob dylan written card thing). what a cock. she didnt need to know that at all.

also that guy is rick from walking dead which is pretty lol

Everybody also glosses over that Keira Knightley was seventeen years old when the movie was made.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

theironjef posted:

In the Expanded Universe timelines, E-Wings are a ship built to replace the X-Wing. They're newer, more expensive, a little smaller, and can carry some more advanced weapons. Here's a small tour through the soup of letter-wings.

1. V-Wing: From the prequels, looks like an A-wing with really thin foldable TIE wings that snap up on the sides. Supposed to represent the future of both Imp and Rebel fighters.
2. D-Wing: From on of the RPGs. Ugly half-disc thing with one tie wing on one side. Sucks.
3. H-Wing: Big tanky thing, looks kind of like a two-headed Y-Wing.
4. K-Wing: Basically an ugly space A-10, it's all hardpoints and actually has sub wings that point at an angle down from the main wings just to hang more missiles on.
5. T-Wing: The shittiest ship for the worst enemy pilots in TIE Fighter the PC game. Basically built to 'splode, if Star Wars was a shooter this would be that level 1 ship that just flies at you and if you blow up a whole string of them you get a powerup. Looks like an X-Wing fuselage with three little engine stub-wings sticking out in a delta shape.

Plus Rogue One added the U-wing, and the old EU had a different V-wing that showed up in the Dark Empire comic and Rogue Squadron 64 game.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, I have more Star Wars questions because I haven’t seen anything since Attack of the Clones.

So is Boba Fett the Mandalorian? Didn’t he get eaten by the giant desert mouth? And isn’t every stormtrooper his dad?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, I have more Star Wars questions because I haven’t seen anything since Attack of the Clones.

So is Boba Fett the Mandalorian? Didn’t he get eaten by the giant desert mouth? And isn’t every stormtrooper his dad?

1. No.

2. Yes but survived somehow. There's probably a million fanfics about it.

3. Nope. The clones are not stormtroopers. Although logically again, if there is a thing called The Clone Wars, shouldn't it have been, I don't know, clones of Jedi or amazing fighters, and the rest of the Good Guys/Jedi defeating them? Nope. The Clone Wars was between one dude being cloned like a million times, and loving robots.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

3. Nope. The clones are not stormtroopers. Although logically again, if there is a thing called The Clone Wars, shouldn't it have been, I don't know, clones of Jedi or amazing fighters, and the rest of the Good Guys/Jedi defeating them? Nope. The Clone Wars was between one dude being cloned like a million times, and loving robots.

IIRC, SOME stormtroopers are surviving clones but there's not a lot of them left by ep 4.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cowslips Warren posted:

2. Yes but survived somehow. There's probably a million fanfics about it.

Just to add on to these two, Fett surviving the sarlacc was a thing since the early days of the old EU. Naturally, there are contradictory stories of how long he was in there or how he got out, but the basic gist of all them was he used something explosive (His backpack, its rocket launcher, a grenade, or whatever) to get out.

For the Clones, again going with some stuff from the old EU that may not be canon anymore, they stopping using solely Jango Fett clones after the Clone Wars end. There was briefly a period of using clones of multiple people, not just Jango Fett, but the Empire quickly switched to just recruiting or conscripting humans from all the planets they controlled as it was much faster and cheaper to train them than to raise a clone army, so the clones were mostly gone (Either from combat or advanced aging) by the OT.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you internet people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched Infinity Train because I heard it was a solid show and I finally have HBO Max.

Apparently it's unknown if there's going to be a season 4 because season 3 decided to go grimdark and HBO thinks it's now too grim and kids won't like it anymore

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wait did Boba survive in the new canon also? Lol

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yes. You see, Disney deleted the old EU canon so they could surprise us with their new stories. And I think we were all surprised when they just did the same poo poo again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

Wait did Boba survive in the new canon also? Lol

Eh, I have doubts that he's the real boba fett.

Dude was competent and able to actually win fights

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Getting knocked into a mouth monster by a blind guy is not winning a fight.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

Yes. You see, Disney deleted the old EU canon so they could surprise us with their new stories. And I think we were all surprised when they just did the same poo poo again.

Wake me up when they reintroduce Luuke

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Getting knocked into a mouth monster by a blind guy is not winning a fight.

That was his point. NEW Boba is able to win a fight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

That was his point. NEW Boba is able to win a fight.

Whoops, totally misread that in my enthusiasm to dunk on Boba Fett.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whoops, totally misread that in my enthusiasm to dunk on Boba Fett.

Yeah no I'm all about dunkin' on Fett

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Camp Cold Brook: It's kind of bugging me how it's both a found footage movie and a regular one. I think it would have worked much better if they had just went full found footage with it.

also if you are scared of the ghosts, don't leave the only place you can monitor them from and just go wandering around outside. That's where the ghosts are.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Len posted:

I think bringing Boba Fett is eye-rollingly pandering, but I liked the fact that they brought back the guy who played Jango. If they pull some kind of "it was one of the regular clones" I think I'd end up liking it.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
In Greenland, all the footage of "Greenland" was clearly shot in Iceland. Erik the Red finally managed to fool somebody.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lavaca posted:

In Greenland, all the footage of "Greenland" was clearly shot in Iceland. Erik the Red finally managed to fool somebody.

I loved learning that little bit of historical trivia.

“Why are they named that way?? I always mix them up, and the name makes Greenland sound so much nicer- oh that son of a bitch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The F Plus - Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fly Molo posted:

I loved learning that little bit of historical trivia.

“Why are they named that way?? I always mix them up, and the name makes Greenland sound so much nicer- oh that son of a bitch.

It was pretty brilliant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rural police departments: can you stop sending just a single officer out to 911 calls from gas stations in the middle of nowhere? Even if they do everything right like the guy in the movie I just watched "Open 24 hours", you're still going to either get killed by the serial killer or eaten by the monster (ala Splinter). They can't be that poorly budgeted that they can't drag a partner along, even if all they manage to do is call for backup while their partner is getting eaten/head bashed in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom was getting burned out on Gray's Anatomy, so I told her about Bridgerton, which is done by the same producer, and falls somewhat under the Pride and Prejudice era she likes overall.

My IIMM is with the main couple, the duke, who says he can't have kids (he relies on his virgin's wife ignorance about all things related to sex and how babies are made) when he really just uses the pullout method. He can probably have kids, but his abusive childhood means he doesn't want to. So he somehow assumes she will never, ever figure out why she never gets pregnant...and there's even a scene where he pulls out and she clearly sees him release the swarm into a napkin. At that point she figures some poo poo out, gets advice from a servant, and the next time she doesn't let him. Of course that starts a huge fight.

Though they never use the word, what she did was technically rape, but in a way, so was his omission and lie about the entire sex-can-lead-to-babies thing.

Now clearly said duke has no idea how limited a girl's education is, but was he seriously going to try and keep this going for the next 30-40 years?

Also, what a hosed up thing this plan was: assuming his estate was set up to be inherited by a son only, like in Pride and Prejudice, if the duke died, his wife would be homeless.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Dec 27, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The first 20 minutes of WW84 include a far-too-long sequence of a bunch of Amazons running a Ninja Warrior course, and a set-piece featuring the world's worst criminals that exists solely to introduce the existence and powers of a character the audience is already completely familiar with.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The first 20 minutes of WW84 include a far-too-long sequence of a bunch of Amazons running a Ninja Warrior course, and a set-piece featuring the world's worst criminals that exists solely to introduce the existence and powers of a character the audience is already completely familiar with.

I didn't hate the movie because parts of it were fun in a goofy cartoony way but my god, it needed about 30 minutes of absolutely useless cruft chopped out. It didn't need to be two and a half hours long.

My IIMM is Pedro Pascal's head is a god drat cube and should be covered by a Mandalorian helmet at all times. But he does a good coked up 80s business man.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

I didn't hate the movie because parts of it were fun in a goofy cartoony way but my god, it needed about 30 minutes of absolutely useless cruft chopped out. It didn't need to be two and a half hours long.

My IIMM is Pedro Pascal's head is a god drat cube and should be covered by a Mandalorian helmet at all times. But he does a good coked up 80s business man.

Two and a half loving hours?

gently caress how long was the director cut?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wonder Woman is a solid 7/10 if you’re looking to fill an hour and a half.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i probably mentioned it before, but in Love, Actually its pretty hosed up how most of the relationships are male boss/female employee (prime minister/catering girl, author/maid, boss/secretary, etc)

and the subplot with the dude who's in love with his buddy's new wife, which fine, it happens, but like a total rear end in a top hat he tells her that he will love her until they grow old (that scene where he has caroling music and does a bob dylan written card thing). what a cock. she didnt need to know that at all.

also that guy is rick from walking dead which is pretty lol

Alhazred posted:

Everybody also glosses over that Keira Knightley was seventeen years old when the movie was made.

More along the lines of poo poo that didn't age well. Despite all the 'you go girl!' vague pandering, gender roles in 90s and 00s media actually weren't really a significant step better than before in a lot of ways.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

Only needing 30 minutes cut out is an improvement over the first one, which needed at least 45 cut out. God that intro was slow and the ending wasn’t much better. The middle was decent though.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Just watched Money Plane. It was a terrible movie but the most irrationally irritating part is a scene where a guy is cooking and he appears to be making sauce in a less than 2-cup pot.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
While I enjoyed Midnight Sky on the overall, and could look past most of the typical Hollywood science shortcuts, one that really bugged me was integral to the plot: some 20 years from now humanity just randomly finds that Jupiter had a previously-unknown, Earth-sized moon? Every Jupiter-bound body we’ve discovered since 1905 has been smaller than 10^18, and there have been telescopes pointing at our biggest neighbor since at least 1610 when Io was discovered. We can measure perturbations in orbital mechanics caused by something the size of a wet fart but somehow missed an entire Gaia world?

Just gettin’ grumpy ‘bout space.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in a food coma in front of the TV yesterday, and the 2015 Cinderella came on. And it has a scene about how the Wicked Stepsisters suck rear end at everything, and then shows one of them drawing and plays it for laughs.

I mean, that's not that bad a drawing? It's not spectacular, but it's alright.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Blueshirt posted:

I was in a food coma in front of the TV yesterday, and the 2015 Cinderella came on. And it has a scene about how the Wicked Stepsisters suck rear end at everything, and then shows one of them drawing and plays it for laughs.

I mean, that's not that bad a drawing? It's not spectacular, but it's alright.

I really loving hate the 2015 Cinderella. My 3 year old loves the original so we thought we'd try it just as a change of pace. It's nearly twice as long as the original. Like I appreciate that they didn't just do a shot-for-shot remake but it's still loving garbage.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

FreshFeesh posted:

While I enjoyed Midnight Sky on the overall, and could look past most of the typical Hollywood science shortcuts, one that really bugged me was integral to the plot: some 20 years from now humanity just randomly finds that Jupiter had a previously-unknown, Earth-sized moon? Every Jupiter-bound body we’ve discovered since 1905 has been smaller than 10^18, and there have been telescopes pointing at our biggest neighbor since at least 1610 when Io was discovered. We can measure perturbations in orbital mechanics caused by something the size of a wet fart but somehow missed an entire Gaia world?

Just gettin’ grumpy ‘bout space.

I thought the movie was pretty dull and predictable. Bit annoyed that you never see what happens to Kyle Chandler's ship nor do they even try to explain what happened to Earth

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really loving hate the 2015 Cinderella. My 3 year old loves the original so we thought we'd try it just as a change of pace. It's nearly twice as long as the original. Like I appreciate that they didn't just do a shot-for-shot remake but it's still loving garbage.

I hate that they made Cinderella, a character who is already traditionally treated as helpless, have her big catchphrase be, "Always be kind," and then her kindness, which allows the stepmother to continue abusing her, isn't even what gets her out of the abusive situation, it's still magic and a prince who is bad at detective work.

If you're kid likes three original Disney Cinderella, Cinderella 3: a Stitch in Time is a better follow up. The stepmother gets there magic wand and basically turns into Maleficent and uses time travel to undo the original movie, Cinderella grows a spine and sneaks into the castle to find out why three prince has forgotten her, and the prince gets to rescue Cinderella with some Errol Flynn swashbuckling, and one of the stepsisters gets a redemption arc. It has pretty decent animation for a direct to video movie and they clearly took some effort to match the designs of the original film.

Cinderella 2 is bad and very cheaply made, don't bother.

Ever After is the best Cinderella because in that version she has grit and actually does things to get out of the lovely situation, and they lay enough groundwork that you can see why she would stick around as long as she did without just being a doormat.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Has anyone else seen House of Purgatory?

I hate it when bad movies have a twist. It starts with pretty much indistinguishable college kids, none of which have interesting characterization, and then it ends with one of the girls being "chosen" and I feel like the movie expected me to "get" it. I didn't. There was time loop garbage except for her I guess and they "got" her, but what does that even mean?

also I think "it's a real thing but actually it's purgatory lol" needs to die out as a theme. Much like the souls doomed to it, the concept is being done to death.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The problem with Escape Room (2019) is that it's really hard to distinguish from Escape Room (2020). And Escape Room (2017) and Escape Room (2017) are even more annoying.

I've seen Escape Room and Escape Room. Escape Room is incredibly dumb and tries to be mysterious by having the villain and his motivations be completely mysterious the entire time. Nothing happens, and two people got randomly dissolved in acid for no apparant reason.

Escape Room is way better, the characters are bouncing off each other in a fun way, there's a nice back and forth between "oh god its real" and "nah, they're just loving with us", and the closing stinger is legit great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The problem with Escape Room (2019) is that it's really hard to distinguish from Escape Room (2020). And Escape Room (2017) and Escape Room (2017) are even more annoying.

I've seen Escape Room and Escape Room. Escape Room is incredibly dumb and tries to be mysterious by having the villain and his motivations be completely mysterious the entire time. Nothing happens, and two people got randomly dissolved in acid for no apparant reason.

Escape Room is way better, the characters are bouncing off each other in a fun way, there's a nice back and forth between "oh god its real" and "nah, they're just loving with us", and the closing stinger is legit great.

You sunnuvabitch....