Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Finally got around to clearing Emerald Weapon and I gotta say: I can not loving wait for Valen to eat poo poo and die, hoooooly gently caress that fuckin' guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah that milk was real :chloe: energy

Edit oh that was for sapphire lol i still haven't done Marinara

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah that milk was real :chloe: energy

Edit oh that was for sapphire lol i still haven't done Marinara

:allears:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Before I did the emerald weapon trial I saw a few tweets about how the cutscene after needed a content warning.

After doing it I definitely see what they mean, that stuff takes the stormblood thesis of "Fascism and Domestic Abuse are basically the same thing" to some grotesque new heights

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
That cutscene is the first time i think FF14 went all out on this kind of thing. The Garlean torture and abuse of people are always kind of *implied* and now they’re showing an example, clear as day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I thought it was short for "process" because your special ability processed!

Nerd jargon is truly a land of contrasts.

But toon has gotta be the dumbest way to express "this character" that I've ever heard. My dude is not a cartoon, he is a real man with feelings and desires.

I first encountered it in City of Heroes, where it absolutely made sense.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Back on XI it was "mules", which was indicative of their purpose (aka to put all the gear you can't fit on your main).

Only people I hear "toons" from is WoW players.

In other news, I just got a Razer Naga for Xmas and transposing my muscle memory from my g602 has been quite the task :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A lot of MMORPG terms come somewhat indirectly from ancient MUDs and the like, which were the closest gameplay experience before computers could handle online worlds with graphics. For example, did you know that the term "mob" has nothing to do with groups or mobs or whatever, but is instead short for "mobile" or "mobile object" depending on who you ask? Monsters and other major NPCs could move from room to room and otherwise operate autonomously as opposed to normal NPCs which were basically just dialogue trees with a /look description.

Okay yeah everyone probably knew that. :eng99:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When i played WoW more than a decade ago, people called their secondary characters "twinks" and i was extremely confused when someone started talking about toons in FFXIV :shrug:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well FFXIV has a huge twink presence, but not the same kind

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
So I played the first two hours of the game. I like the graphics and character design. The stories ok. The HUD is easy to use. As you get further into the game does it get more interesting? Other than better graphics I didn’t really see anything I couldn’t get out of playing Wow.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

HenryEx posted:

When i played WoW more than a decade ago, people called their secondary characters "twinks" and i was extremely confused when someone started talking about toons in FFXIV :shrug:

wut

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jintozook81 posted:

So I played the first two hours of the game. I like the graphics and character design. The stories ok. The HUD is easy to use. As you get further into the game does it get more interesting? Other than better graphics I didn’t really see anything I couldn’t get out of playing Wow.

Two hours is absolutely not enough time to be making a judgement like this. Yeah, it'll open up and get better.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I remember that only as a term for a character you used for low-level PvP decked out in the strongest gear you could get via your main.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

I remember that only as a term for a character you used for low-level PvP decked out in the strongest gear you could get via your main.

Yeah twinking is more specifically about a low level alt (or a low level friend's account) that is given high level gear or money rather than just any alt in general.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah twinking in WoW and after referred to gearing up low level characters beyond what you would normally have at that level (for FF14 this doesn't really work because even HQ crafted and pentamelded gear handed down would be outdated a day later with another level or two, or can't even catch poetics gear to begin with). In WoW it was usually done for PvP battlegrounds because you could have an insane power difference in the PvP level brackets (like 10-19, 20-29 etc.) with rare or epic BoE gear and high level enchants. They eventually even added level-locking to support PvP twinks, ie. you can min-max a level 19 or 29 (eg.) alt whose only purpose is to dominate in their PvP level bracket. In PvE it wasn't that popular until "heirlooms" (account-bound gear which leveled with your character like this game's Aetheryte earrings), since you have the same problem of just leveling up a bunch opening up way better gear and new enchants. Heirlooms made it so twinking a new PvE alt was useful since you could set it up and forget about (most) of its gear.

Kazy posted:

Back on XI it was "mules", which was indicative of their purpose (aka to put all the gear you can't fit on your main).

Only people I hear "toons" from is WoW players.

In other news, I just got a Razer Naga for Xmas and transposing my muscle memory from my g602 has been quite the task :v:
No, toons is not a WoW thing. People in that game already complained about others (from EQ and other older MMOs) calling their alts "toons".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After 350 hours the MSQ decides to tell me that Y'shtola doesn't just see aether, she's actually blind.

I mean I'm sure it was mentioned at some point in HW but you'd think it'd come up more often.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

stev posted:

After 350 hours the MSQ decides to tell me that Y'shtola doesn't just see aether, she's actually blind.

I mean I'm sure it was mentioned at some point in HW but you'd think it'd come up more often.

It confused me how she was still able to see in The Burn, an area completely drained of aether. And yes, it's mentioned that she's blind and called out directly by Matoya when you meet her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think sometimes the writers just forget considering she has a workaround that makes her functionally not-blind 99% of the time anyway

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Frost Ace posted:

I thought it was short for programmed random occurrence.

same

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kazy posted:

It confused me how she was still able to see in The Burn, an area completely drained of aether. And yes, it's mentioned that she's blind and called out directly by Matoya when you meet her.

it's not complete, there's still aether there, just almost nothing ambient. it's like how there's still water in the desert, just very little and mostly concentrated in the few living things there. please look forward to my dissertation on hydaelyn's ecology

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kazy posted:

IIRC, it's not that the aether's been removed, but that it's been largely rendered stagnant ala the Empty. She'd still be able to see its constituent aether, but it'd be comparatively dead and lifeless.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

multijoe posted:

I think sometimes the writers just forget considering she has a workaround that makes her functionally not-blind 99% of the time anyway

Yeah, after it was revealed by Matoya, it doesn't get mentioned again until the bit in Shadowbringers where she thinks the WoL is a lightwarden. But then they have Ryne be the dedicated aether-reader for the WoL!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jintozook81 posted:

Yes.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jintozook81 posted:

big big yes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jintozook81 posted:

obviously things change because of course they do, no RPG has the same gameplay .5% into the main content as it does in the latter half, but you should be more clear what you want to be more interesting if you're trying to decide if it's worth your time.

the biggest change, and also the thing you'll spend the most time engaging with, is how the different classes/jobs become more mechanically complex. the typical dps rotation in ffxiv is much more involved than their WoW equivalents. this is much less the case for healers and tanks (either fortunately or unfortunately depending on who you ask), who tend to get their complexity from encounter design rather than their own toolkits. though in high end content the role of a healer/tank isn't really any more demanding or complicated than dps so really it's a bit of a wash there.

the storytelling from level 50 onward also gets a big boost in most peoples' eyes. the pre-50 story is mostly inoffensive with moments that are good either at the time or contextualized later, but it's still pretty basic. things get much more interesting once you get into Ishgard and again when you get to the most recent expansion's content.

on the encounter side your first several dungeons are going to do little to impress, but later dungeons and especially boss arenas (called "trials" in this game) are very strong both in terms of mechanics and presentation, particularly music.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Begemot posted:

Yeah, after it was revealed by Matoya, it doesn't get mentioned again until the bit in Shadowbringers where she thinks the WoL is a lightwarden. But then they have Ryne be the dedicated aether-reader for the WoL!

There is also a sidequest chain in HW that opens up after you finish the 3.3 MSQ quests where it gets brought up briefly.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jintozook81 posted:

others have mentioned that in terms of mechanics, everything before level 50 is purposefully Baby's First MMO. their intent is to make the entry into the genre as easy as possible for someone coming from the single-player games, but that makes it slow for someone who's already familiar with complexity in tab-targeting. it does get as complex as anything in wow - you could find videos of "savage" or "ultimate" fights for the equivalent of mythic raids. also, imo the earliest hint of the kind of spectacle we like this game for is in an MSQ instance called the Navel at level 34, so you could see if that does anything for you.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm starting to think the WoL's echo power is being able to see attack markers

(stormblood spoilers) when fordola gets the artificial echo they make a big deal about how she is able to see people's attacks coming before they make them, but the player's always been able to do that. it'd explain why the warrior of light is so able to overcome much more powerful foes, being able to see the big attacks coming and matrix dodge them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

(stormblood spoilers) when fordola gets the artificial echo they make a big deal about how she is able to see people's attacks coming before they make them, but the player's always been able to do that. it'd explain why the warrior of light is so able to overcome much more powerful foes, being able to see the big attacks coming and matrix dodge them.

They confirm this back in ARR's story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's several solo duties and roleplay duties where non-Echo people can clearly see attacks coming. Telegraph markers are a purely extradiegetic gameplay mechanic.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh yeah that's pretty much canon. personally I go all in on the story-gameplay harmony here because it makes me giggle: becoming stronger in the echo just means getting better at doing mechanics. stronger foes have abilities with subtler or even missing tells because it's harder for you to instinctively grasp their skill. the player character totally sees orange shapes appear on the ground all the time and I can't wait for koji to add a dialogue option where they ask "wait, not everyone can see those?"

anyone who points out npcs without echo dodging things: that could conceivably be them just reacting to 'real' things rather than our magic circles, and also why are you a poopy butthead

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

oh yeah that's pretty much canon. personally I go all in on the story-gameplay harmony here because it makes me giggle: becoming stronger in the echo just means getting better at doing mechanics. stronger foes have abilities with subtler or even missing tells because it's harder for you to instinctively grasp their skill. the player character totally sees orange shapes appear on the ground all the time and I can't wait for koji to add a dialogue option where they ask "wait, not everyone can see those?"

anyone who points out npcs without echo dodging things: that could conceivably be them just reacting to 'real' things rather than our magic circles, and also why are you a poopy butthead

I don't think it's diegetic, so much as a mechanical abstraction communicating supernatural instincts/premonition

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

I don't think it's diegetic, so much as a mechanical abstraction communicating supernatural instincts/premonition

Yeah, I don't think the warrior of light sees the same indicators as us. I do think the warrior of light sees the future and can dodge and fight enemies using that power and mechanics indicators are the gameplay they use to communicate that fact and allow the player to perform those feats.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm pretty sure proc is an acronym for Percentage Rate On Cast. You know, the kind of lovely acronym someone jams into a spreadsheet because they desperately need a label for a column and it just sticks around forever.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Could I ask for some advice on:

- What the best crafting class(es) are to make gil from with all gatherers at cap
- Whether I should just by straight up buying Aesthete HQ if I want to get making my own pots/food ASAP

Having only just got CRP to 80 as my first crafter and now working on the others to get to 50 so my armory chest stops crying, this is getting a little pricey!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

proc stands for

P izza
R edistribution
O n
C ommand

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Wicked Wall posted:

Could I ask for some advice on:

- What the best crafting class(es) are to make gil from with all gatherers at cap

All of them, because each one (except for CUL) needs stuff from 2-3 other classes, and if you buy that, you won't be making any profit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CYBEReris posted:

proc stands for

P izza
R edistribution
O n
C ommand

The aussies were living it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I don't think the warrior of light sees the same indicators as us. I do think the warrior of light sees the future and can dodge and fight enemies using that power and mechanics indicators are the gameplay they use to communicate that fact and allow the player to perform those feats.

even then, there's still plenty of mechanics like Nier raids, starboard/larboard, the untelegraphed enemies like that one add in Final Steps and old Coincounter, and most of Eden normal where you're expected to recognize the pattern from attack name/animation and the tells only show up at the last instant to inform you that you should have been standing somewhere else if you didn't want that vuln stack.