Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's not really that subtle, but the court scenes in Gigantic Ethnic Asses 4: Round by the Pound are inspired by Rashomon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can tell this, because each of the characters remembers the sequence of banging slightly differently.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

When they split up in the third act, her next scene is taken shot-for-shot from the climax of Yojimbo, and his is shot-for-shot from the same scene in A Fistful of Dollars

Yojimbo (1961) took it's climax from A Fist Full Of Dollars (1964)?
Interesting theory.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmptyVessel posted:

Interesting theory.

I think he's saying

Ashoka took her scene from Yojimbo

Mando took his scene from Fist Full of Dollars

Not whatever you're saying

Edit: you know since Yojimbo uses swords and fist full uses gun

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

EmptyVessel posted:

Interesting theory.

Might wanna reread the thing you quoted

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone's right pretty much, since A Fistful of Dollars is a Yojimbo ripoff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone's right pretty much, since A Fistful of Dollars is a Yojimbo ripoff.

Legally a Yojimbo ripoff apparently

The film has been identified as an unofficial remake of the Akira Kurosawa film Yojimbo (1961), which resulted in a successful lawsuit by Toho, Yojimbo's production company.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

rydiafan posted:

You sound like somebody who needs to see a car towing a truck towing a truck towing a truck towing a helicopter.

https://youtu.be/dapP5W153YE

Why? I've already seen a car drive out of one building, land in another building, then drive away in the desert all while Rhonda Rousey fights the one of the main characters whilst she is dressed in a cocktail dress.

Which is adequately Fast and sufficiently Furious for my present needs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the ones you haven't seen yet has the Rock being so strong he redirects a torpedo.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

deoju posted:

Finished the new season of the Mandalorian. In episode 5 Ahsoka fights the whole episode dual wielding overhand. Her fight with the Magistrate is toe to toe at first. But then the Magistrate flings one of her lightsabers away. The Magistrate is confident she has her on the ropes. Ahsoka then switches to an underhanded grip. The Magistrate has an 'oh poo poo' face for a moment before she gets killed. She was not at all prepared for that, and Ahsoka knew and kept that trick up her sleeve. The baddy getting defeated when it's revealed the hero has mastered the forbidden/forgotten/secret technique is very much a trope of martial arts movies. Like the Bride killing Bill with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique or the Crane Kick in Karate Kid. I'm sure there are better examples but those come to mind.

She didn't kill the Magistrate (she could have done that as easily if she wanted to) the whole point was defeating her while keeping her alive in order to get information about the whereabouts of her boss

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ah extremely subtle moment in The Mandalorian was in season 2, in the 3rd episode, when the mandalorians show up to help him out at the dock ambush, baby Yoda has this amazing "my shiny metal dad and his shiny metal family are gonna gently caress you up" look on his face. Just a beautiful "hosed around, and find out, you did" expression.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched it, but the second time I near about pissed myself laughing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Grogu puppet is incredibly expressive. Makes total sense why Werner Herzog demanded they keep it on set instead of resorting to CGI.

I wish there was recording of Herzog berating the crew for wanting to replace it when doing B-roll shooting for possible CGI use. "You are all cowards. Leave it." :allears:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The cameras were rolling, and they actually used some of that footage in the episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While on the note of Star Wars, been watching a convention interview from before the movie's release, and trying to put myself in the mindset of what it might have been like to see it for the first time.

The way droids are designed, depicted and treatment stands out in particular- a lot of standard sci-fi 'robots' would basically be singular and be able to do anything, but right off the bat Star Wars introduces two robots who have diametrically opposed design philosophies that reflect their skillsets and functions, and in the Jawa auction they even show that they're not unique, that there's lots of droids like them of various makes and models.

...said scene is also pretty clearly a slave auction, reflecting exactly what the roles of the two are. Including in their designs- C3PO speaks because it's his job to, R2D2 isn't able to speak coherently to non-droids because he's not meant to speak, he's meant to be spoken to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The weirdest thing about droids in Star Wars is that they seem to all be compatible with everything. Which means there isn't one manufacturer making a lightning droid that's only compatible with specific hookups

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

The weirdest thing about droids in Star Wars is that they seem to all be compatible with everything. Which means there isn't one manufacturer making a lightning droid that's only compatible with specific hookups

Star Wars tech is just weird in general. How can Luke understand R2? Why do they keep the Death Star plans on a VHS tape? I think it's some kind of retro tech in joke or something since the original was made in 1977 or w/e.

TIE fighter's "wings" aren't for aerodynamics because that would be insanely bad design. Instead they're solar panels. For non light speed fighters that are rarely if ever pictured flying anywhere near a sun.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://swse.fandom.com/wiki/Droid_Manufacturers

drat if I'm reading any of that, though.

there doesn't seem to he hypercapitalism in Star Wars, which is a little odd given that Pepsi paid Lucas a literal billion dollars to secure prequel marketing and Lucas later sold it for four more literal billion dollars

edit: ... so I imagine it'd be more like electrical standards than computer ones, except that I just remembered that Edison and Westinghouse battled that poo poo out, so never mind

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And now you can buy Coca-Cola at Galaxy's Edge, and it of course has a Wookieepedia article.

I'm sorry

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bony tony posted:

And now you can buy Coca-Cola at Galaxy's Edge, and it of course has a Wookieepedia article.

I'm sorry

full-circle, I guess... Coke made some full-size remote-controlled not-R2s in the 80s:

somewhere, there is a picture of my grandfather with one of these things

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The F Plus - Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll still never get over Jizz

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jizz-wailing all day and all night

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Jizz was first mentioned in canon in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'll still never get over Jizz

It’s great for old novels that have back cover blurbs about “the best hot jizz riffs in the universe”

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The figures of that band were some of the hardest to find toys when hasbro was making the 12 inch toyline. I remember some dude had the entire set and there was a bidding war that cleared a grand.

Dude loved his jizz I guess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Star Wars tech is just weird in general. How can Luke understand R2? Why do they keep the Death Star plans on a VHS tape? I think it's some kind of retro tech in joke or something since the original was made in 1977 or w/e.

TIE fighter's "wings" aren't for aerodynamics because that would be insanely bad design. Instead they're solar panels. For non light speed fighters that are rarely if ever pictured flying anywhere near a sun.

Tie fighters flying in atmosphere always looks so weird and sure enough in Rogue One you see Tie fighters built to look at least slightly aerodynamic. So I guess while space Tie’s can go both places, the Empire keeps sleeker ones to guard ground bases?

Except in the Mandalorian where the ground base Tie’s are just space Tie fighters.

So real consistent.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I haven't been able to verify this, but I remember reading a scholar saying that jazz used to be spelled jass, but that people in the early 20th century weren't any more mature than anyone else in the entire course of human history, so

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

I haven't been able to verify this, but I remember reading a scholar saying that jazz used to be spelled jass, but that people in the early 20th century weren't any more mature than anyone else in the entire course of human history, so

There were a ton of different spellings before Jazz was standardized, one of the oldest ads for a jazz performance even mentions four different spellings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Mandalorian is set like 20 years after rogue one, and after the fall of the empire. Makes sense they are just using what they had, and if it's cheap, even better.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There were a ton of different spellings before Jazz was standardized, one of the oldest ads for a jazz performance even mentions four different spellings.

I know this isn't how language works, but I still hope that one of them was jiss

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Its all about the letters you dont use.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Empty Sandwich posted:

I know this isn't how language works, but I still hope that one of them was jiss

One of the legends of how it got its name was that they called it jism music in Storyville when it first got popular in the brothels.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SiKboy posted:

Its all about the letters you dont use.

:slick:

citybeatnik posted:

One of the legends of how it got its name was that they called it jism music in Storyville when it first got popular in the brothels.

there's no way in hell this is true, but I like it

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I was rewatching Die Hard again yesterday and remembered a detail that I missed for years. Throughout the film several characters are seen humming or singing to themselves. Whenever a hero is doing this the tune is Bing Crosby and when it's a villain its Beethoven. This theme carries over into the non diagetic music as well in key climactic scenes. When the terrorists finally break into the vault Ode to Joy i's played and in the finale Let it Snow carries the film out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was it subtle that Ellis, a coke-head, was served literal Coca-Cola when he was with Hans' crew? I just mean 'am I late to this party, or is that something everyone's noticed by now?'

I only saw the movie for maybe the 4th time last week, after having not seen it in close to 10 years.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I always just assumed that was product placement or if anything to imply that Ellis is the kind of guy who would begin the negotiation by saying something like "Hans buddy can you have one of your guys get ne something to drink I parched. " One thing the movie is not subtle about is his coke use.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

James Woods posted:

I always just assumed that was product placement or if anything to imply that Ellis is the kind of guy who would begin the negotiation by saying something like "Hans buddy can you have one of your guys get ne something to drink I parched. " One thing the movie is not subtle about is his coke use.

he probably asked if someone could get him some coke

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

James Woods posted:

I was rewatching Die Hard again yesterday and remembered a detail that I missed for years. Throughout the film several characters are seen humming or singing to themselves. Whenever a hero is doing this the tune is Bing Crosby and when it's a villain its Beethoven. This theme carries over into the non diagetic music as well in key climactic scenes. When the terrorists finally break into the vault Ode to Joy i's played and in the finale Let it Snow carries the film out.

I did my annual re-watch the other night and for the first time I noticed that they play a very low, subdued version of Ode to Joy the very first time the vault is shown on screen.

Also the guy who sets up to repel the police breach at the snack counter and grabs a candy bar? The shot where he grabs one, and the subsequent two shots with him eating are 3 different candy bars. Dude is chowing down.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

Also the guy who sets up to repel the police breach at the snack counter and grabs a candy bar? The shot where he grabs one, and the subsequent two shots with him eating are 3 different candy bars. Dude is chowing down.

The Berlin Wall didn't come down until a year later; gotta get your decadent western pig treats wherever they pop up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

That's Al Leong and he owns

At some point years ago he would just accept all friend requests on Facebook so a friend of mine is to this day Facebook friends with Al Leong