Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Still not as funny as the pictures of that security robot than drowned itself.

https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

The company that makes them sadly has a tiny customer base or we'd see more great pictures. Mostly the stories about them are people attacking the robots. But they keep raising money thanks to Jim Cramer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Woodsy Owl posted:

With that kind of KD ratio? Casual.

I can always eat more, will that make me a real one? Like could I wear an "I run a forklift, I eat pussy,meat shoot guns and love manly poo poo cause I'm a MAN" if I just start eating more Kraft Dinner?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like PusherBot Mark VII needs some work yet.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

The company that makes them sadly has a tiny customer base or we'd see more great pictures. Mostly the stories about them are people attacking the robots. But they keep raising money thanks to Jim Cramer.

yeah I remember when the company I work got a demo of these robots a couple years ago and they had one patrol around our parking lot while we asked questions (we are interested in autonomous robots, not security). Thing did not look useful at all, just weird. Sadly, I don't remember anything we discussed because of how uninteresting it was.

I wanted to kick it over so bad :(

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why are they just watching as the massive robot body slams an unsuspecting couple of people?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thomamelas posted:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

What the Christmas gently caress is happening in here?

https://youtu.be/fbfVGIBcD8c

Someone is recording the preflight test of the audio alerts. When you do the test, each box downstairs also performs it’s BIT (Built-In-Test) to ensure that the unit is functioning.

Lord Stimperor posted:

In regards to captains calling their crew pussies, here's a helicopter doing something good with toxic pilot masculinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

Dude has balls that CLANK.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That is some amazing handling of an aircraft that wants to violently hurl itself at the ground every second it's flying.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

what do you think the social credit score of that robot is now? better or worse than before?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

In regards to captains calling their crew pussies, here's a helicopter doing something good with toxic pilot masculinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z9HRC7hlU

I think this is the standard way for helicopters to deliver people to and from steep slopes. Google "helicopter toe in", or don't if helicopters make you nervous.

That particular slope is on the steeper side of what is usually done though. I'm told the trickiest part is not the actual landing, but that the pilot needs to immediately compensate for weight and balance changes as people hop in and out and move gear in and out, and there isn't much room for error.

edit: Though obviously if walking up to that spot from somewhere flatter is at all possible then that is preferable.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

Someone is recording the preflight test of the audio alerts. When you do the test, each box downstairs also performs it’s BIT (Built-In-Test) to ensure that the unit is functioning.

I think the idea was that the thread was going in a bad direction.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

I think the idea was that the thread was going in a bad direction.

I AM OBSERVANT

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wU2Xl9P.gifv

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

yeah I remember when the company I work got a demo of these robots a couple years ago and they had one patrol around our parking lot while we asked questions (we are interested in autonomous robots, not security). Thing did not look useful at all, just weird. Sadly, I don't remember anything we discussed because of how uninteresting it was.

I wanted to kick it over so bad :(

They aren't useful. They basically picked up three customers in two years. They mostly stay afloat by fundraising like a motherfucker with the most sketchy pitches you can imagine. They have some competitors whose stuff is slightly more useful but still less useful than a security guard. Which means they aren't clearing a pretty low bar. The new "hotness" for autonomous robots for security seem to be modified DJI drones. They are slightly more impressive in terms of not committing suicide in pools but that's it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thomamelas posted:

The new "hotness" for autonomous robots for security seem to be modified DJI drones. They are slightly more impressive in terms of not committing suicide in pools but that's it.

DJI was just blacklisted in the US last week.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/23/22193660/us-government-dji-drone-entity-list-export-ban-effects

Lol.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

:itwaspoo:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That is some amazing handling of an aircraft that wants to violently hurl itself at the ground every second it's flying.

This is the most amazing helicopter pilot I've seen:

https://youtu.be/08K_aEajzNA

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, they aren't. A few years ago one of those conehead security droids ran over a toddler at the Stanford shopping center.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

No, they aren't. A few years ago one of those conehead security droids ran over a toddler at the Stanford shopping center.

Holy gently caress, THAT got buried! :stare:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It may not be a "public setting" but officially the first casualty of the robot wars was a guy killed by an industrial robot at a Ford plant in 1979

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was the first person killed by a robot yes but a Ford plant isn't a public setting.

Here's the article about the toddler at the shopping center

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-crimefighting-robot-hurts-child-bay-area-20160713-snap-story.html

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Thats not going to hugely affect them and they have already been making moves to protect themselves from this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrYenko posted:

I AM OBSERVANT

I reread my post and can 100% see how my post could be read that way, I got a kick out of that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GW3CPz1.gifv
Parachutes are for suckers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why would anyone voluntarily go to watch that? "Want to see a guy skydive into a net with no parachute?" gently caress no, if he's off by 10 feet he splats into the ground.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Why would anyone voluntarily go to watch that? "Want to see a guy skydive into a net with no parachute?" gently caress no, if he's off by 10 feet he splats into the ground.

I think you just answered your own question

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

haveblue posted:

I think you just answered your own question

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So he decelerates from terminal velocity to nothing in the space of roughly a second. Given what we know about sub-concussive impacts, that doesn't seem super healthy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kith posted:

what the gently caress is happening
people bein' real mad about the poor

Stunt_enby posted:

so like, do you legitimately think you're going to accomplish anything for this revolution when you've already posted yourself onto a very short watchlist with this type of rhetoric?
gently caress off my guy

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

So he decelerates from terminal velocity to nothing in the space of roughly a second. Given what we know about sub-concussive impacts, that doesn't seem super healthy.

Probably, but it's m4d s!ck bruh.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Memento posted:

1s to bleed off terminal velocity would be a nearly comfortable 5-6gees. It looks more like 1.5-2s total anyway. I'm not going to volunteer for this at any rate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Memento posted:

A human skydiver in freefall apparently goes about 120mph or 53m/s. If he genuinely came to a complete stop in 1 second, that's about 5.5g -- equal to what a parachutist normally experiences as their chute opens. I suspect he actually took longer than that to decelerate so the g-load is even lower.

There won't be any health effects from that level of acceleration. Aerobatic pilots pull 6g all day long and even some roller coasters exceed that value. For comparison, concussions begin to occur when the head experiences 50-70g, and people have survived over 150g in automobile crashes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 26, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If he misses, well, I don't think I've seen a human being liquify before and how often does such a chance come around?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That guy had a parachute just in case, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

other people posted:

I would think that would only see use if he was way off course, if you’re aiming for the net I would think by the time you realize you’re gonna miss you’re too low to pop the chute.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

other people posted:

I assume? I'm no aerialist, but I would suppose there's an altitude by which if he's not correctly lined up he can still 'chute to safety before the parachute becomes 40 pounds of laundry.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

other people posted:

I think if he misses the mark a parachutes not going to help much.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Atticus_1354 posted:

I think if he misses the mark a parachutes not going to help much.

if he does have one, I figure it's in case something happens just after leaving the aircraft that makes hitting the net impossible not because he's 2 seconds from the net and realizes he's off by a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

A human skydiver in freefall apparently goes about 120mph or 53m/s. If he genuinely came to a complete stop in 1 second, that's about 5.5g -- equal to what a parachutist normally experiences as their chute opens. I suspect he actually took longer than that to decelerate so the g-load is even lower.

There won't be any health effects from that level of acceleration. Aerobatic pilots pull 6g all day long and even some roller coasters exceed that value. For comparison, concussions begin to occur when the head experiences 50-70g, and people have survived over 150g in automobile crashes.

Alright, that's not so bad.

Still not going to loving do it though, like god drat. Jumping out of a plane with a perfectly set up parachute and backup is enough of a butt clencher as it is.