Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wonder Woman faced with no choice but to kill Max Lord by snapping his neck? It’d never work.

People with no knowledge of the comics would just say Jenkins copied Zod's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Blue Raider posted:

It’s both over- and under-explained. Over in the sense that they went to the trouble to explain that the guy had an apartment and a job and under in the sense that they jumped through those hoops with no build up to begin with.

A better script would have just had Steve Trevor pop into existence still in his WW1 fatigues and left it at that. Would’ve cut down on its run time too.

I think the body snatcher resurrection thing works if it applies to everyone else except Steve Trevor. Diana gave up literal godlike power in exchange, she should just get her ghost boyfriend back. Normal people don't have that much to trade, so they get the bargain basement version - whoever they wish for back takes over someone else's body, which creates a daisy chain of wishes for Max Lord/Dreamstone to feed off of.

That said, it does feel like Max Lord was unnecessary (and poorly handled) and the relationship tension between Barbara/Diana/Steve would've been the better focus, maybe with Circe as the main villain? Although then you're explicitly getting into the trope of "queer person turns evil/monstrous because they were spurned in favor of a cishet pairing" (instead of just insinuating it as they did, now that I think about it), which I don't not have faith in any major studio to handle well.

Also they should've discarded the Cheetah thing and had Barbara turn into a Chimera or something more mythologically appropriate, faithfulness to the comics be damned. That villain has always looked corny and it makes no sense in the context of the story they were telling unless it really was meant to invoke "cheater", which yikes.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 26, 2020

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

William Marston was incredibly horny, and in addition to a strong Amazon whose weakness was being tied up he made a woman in a sexy cat suit, and later that character evolved into a sexy catgirl because comics

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why did the president have to even be involved? Why was it important the president wish for war instead of just getting any of the million random people that would want a war with Russia in 1984? Why did max lord even WANT a war?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hobo Clown posted:

Do you think any of the 2017 Smithsonian employees wonder why the woman who has worked there at least the 80s doesn't appear to age?

The exact same amount as Clark's colleagues at the planet who notice he looks identical to Superman

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why did the president have to even be involved? Why was it important the president wish for war instead of just getting any of the million random people that would want a war with Russia in 1984? Why did max lord even WANT a war?

Max wishes to have the same respect and command the president did. Why the president himself had to make this wish is stupid, and unclear.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've given up watching this movie, I'm just skipping around now. Star Wars moved pretty quick for something Reagan announced in March of 83. He isn't even the president the next year. That said, Andropov would have totally prepped for launch if there were some surprise nuclear missiles in Germany that he didn't know about.

SDI stuff is such a minor nitpick though, there's plenty wrong with this movie. This feels like two movies were written about 2/3rds of the way, then crammed together to make something overly long and uneven. Kmart Killgrave really wasn't necessary for this movie, it really should have focused on Barbara's descent to inhumanity/rise to power. Making it a global problem rather than a small scale thing really hosed the movie up, and the movie series. She isn't exactly making herself hard to see, so her attempts to stay anonymous by the time of Batman vs Superman just looks weird (and she forgets some of the powers she picks up because I guess she wanted to give Doomsday and Steppenwolf a handicap).

Also echoing the complaints that Gal Gadot's stunts were all really poorly greenscreened and floaty, and why does she think she's Spiderman? So much of this feels cheesy in a bad way.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The whole thing about the gold armor is just...............lmao

man this movie is just a mess

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Diana telling Steve he can't use a sword was weird.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The whole thing about the gold armor is just...............lmao

man this movie is just a mess

Aquaman had to at least do a whole quest for it which involved some pretty awesome creatures

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cut out a bunch of the 80s schlock and make Diana go on a quest to find Asteria's armor that was last seen in the depths of Tartarus or something. Have her fight a bunch of mythological demons to get that armor. Would bolster the "I've killed things from other worlds before" line in BvS.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

teagone posted:

It begs the question: if Steve's soul container had taken a bullet to the head during the WH fight, would he have just downloaded into another guy?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
The Trump vibes emanating from Pedro Pascal are intentional right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Samara posted:

The Trump vibes emanating from Pedro Pascal are intentional right?

His magic wishing powers conjure up a wall.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Some cracked out producer, in 80s fashion, thought we wanted to see one of the gods from Gods of Egypt fight one of the abominations from Cats, and I respect them for trying to give us that. The end product was disappointing, but an effort was made.

e: Seriously they gave the bad guy a blue beam of evil light, again?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 26, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

teagone posted:

Why? She didn't want him to impale someone and made sure the White House guards weren't crumpled in the Barbara fight.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Cut out a bunch of the 80s schlock and make Diana go on a quest to find Asteria's armor that was last seen in the depths of Tartarus or something. Have her fight a bunch of mythological demons to get that armor. Would bolster the "I've killed things from other worlds before" line in BvS.

Counterproposal: Make the whole movie 80s schlock. The opening mall heist was fun times, continuity is a gently caress because who cares about Justice League?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Aquaman had to at least do a whole quest for it which involved some pretty awesome creatures

Here it's just sitting in her closet and she doesn't bother to use it even though it's the most powerful armor ever made lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Here she just....has it already! lmfao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Why? She didn't want him to impale someone and made sure the White House guards weren't crumpled in the Barbara fight.

Sure. It was more so a weird continuity thing with her readily using a sword in other canon films that take place later. But yeah I guess she does say "they don't know any better" and possibly learned a lesson that stabby stabby doesn't solve everything from the first film? But some of then again, some of the guards in the white house were cops and ACAB. And also:

Nix Panicus posted:

continuity is a gently caress because who cares about Justice League?

...this too I guess, lmao.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oof. That was bad. And why/how did those monochrome IBM XTs receive a broadcast signal and display it in color?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This movie reminds me of the comic movies from before 2008 (before Dark Knight and Iron Man came out) where they just made poo poo up and it didn't matter if it made sense.

Gotta stop the nuclear war. Wait I'm gonna swing by my apartment and change clothes first.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 26, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

This movie reminds me of the comic movies from before 2008 (before Dark Knight and Iron Man came out) where they just made poo poo up and it didn't matter if it made sense.

Gotta stop the nuclear war. Wait I'm gonna swing by my apartment and change clothes first.

Ok YES what the gently caress was this!!!!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I can’t get over how nobody wished for world peace. What would have happened if Mondale wished for less nukes after Reagan wished for more? This movie is garbage and Casting a marginally attractive actress in a role that calls for a magic transformation from nerd to beauty was a bad call.

Also, isn’t this supposed to be all about female empowerment?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pillowpants posted:

I can’t get over how nobody wished for world peace. What would have happened if Mondale wished for less nukes after Reagan wished for more? This movie is garbage and Casting a marginally attractive actress in a role that calls for a magic transformation from nerd to beauty was a bad call.

Also, isn’t this supposed to be all about female empowerment?

Wait, was that actually supposed to be Reagan?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Roth posted:

The US president in '84, and the whole 'touch the world' tech is explicitly referenced to be based on Star Wars tech

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Someone wished for Reagan to not be president.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Roth posted:

An addled dipshit who stumbles into a nuclear war with the Soviet Union?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Roth posted:

"How did I get here I could swear I was just somewhere else."

Checks out.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I must protect these secret service guards because they are affected by an evil wish, they have no say in what is happening to them! However that guy whose body you stole, gently caress him lol

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 26, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's the death of Maxwell Lord in the comics. It's so much better-written than the movie: https://comicnewbies.com/2017/08/06/wonder-woman-kills-maxwell-lord/

Lol that's pretty dumb and ugly

And peeps complain about sfx and silly plotting :psyduck: like what do you want??

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I can’t get over that this movie was in the can for a year and they had Hans loving Zimmer on the payroll and they used a temp track from a 12 year old movie for the climax.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They ruined Max Lord in the comics by having him be a bad guy. The movie did him better by having him be a guy in over his head and all he really wanted was to make his kid proud of him. He's the best character in the movie by far and probably the only thing it got right.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I can’t get over that this movie was in the can for a year and they had Hans loving Zimmer on the payroll and they used a temp track from a 12 year old movie for the climax.

On top of which Zimmer has some great poo poo in this film but it’s mostly at the beginning and they don’t really let him do what he can. I don’t understand what happened here. (Also, while I love his scores Zimmers kind of a fraud so yeah.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Pillowpants posted:

I can’t get over how nobody wished for world peace.

If Max had the cameras on Barbera during the White House fight everyone would've wished for Wonder Woman's cool, sexy friend to step on them instead of nuclear holocaust and the world would be saved.

Barbera's schedule would be full for the next forever, though. Not very empowering.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

kilus aof posted:

Giving a character 100 years of adventures is just not as good as having 100 years of her moping about some dude she knew for a week that died.

Hey not just some dude, if you remember the first one he's some dude with a longass dick!

New body new dick though :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the “monkey’s paw” in the movie isn’t actually a monkey’s paw. it doesn’t corrupt the logic of the wish to turn it against the wisher, giving them what they wanted but not the way they expected. the original monkey’s paw story has a man wish for 200 pounds, the people grants it by making his son die in a factory accident, and the company denies all liability but gives him a consolatory 200 pounds. the wishes in the movie don’t do that, they just take away something mostly unrelated as payment for granting the wish.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

wait what lol

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaX5rG4Fdvk

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I can't decide if this movie is worse than F4. It's certainly less coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Upside Potential posted:

I might have been drinking too much but why didn't WW get electrocuted in the fight with the furry

I’m convinced this scene was reshot or a remnant of an earlier draft. Diana pleads with Barbara to give up her powers willingly. When she refuses, Diana allows the electrical cables to kill hertemporarily incapacitate her with no lasting effect.

It’s like somebody realized that you can’t kill Barbara and let Lord go.