Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CYBEReris posted:

proc stands for

P izza
R edistribution
O n
C ommand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
/pizza

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The aussies were living it up...

Oh gently caress, why does UK Dominos never have anything like that?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kazy posted:

It confused me how she was still able to see in The Burn, an area completely drained of aether. And yes, it's mentioned that she's blind and called out directly by Matoya when you meet her.

It probably looks to her like a matte black plain with a mostly normal sky over it, and barely enough reflected aether to show contours on the ground. So enough to get around but weird and uncomfortable even by aether-vision standards.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They confirm this back in ARR's story.

I don't think its officially-officially confirmed in the game, but it's a pretty common way to interpret how the WoL's narrative powers interact with the game mechanics. Basically we're Shulk. Guys like Gaius or Estinien who don't have the Echo but can survive a fight against a small army of dudes or avoid being pasted by giant monsters are just really loving good at fighting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about Alphinaud

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Narrative shield and blind luck.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Frost Ace posted:

I thought it was short for programmed random occurrence.

You thought right!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Alphinaud

I assume he inherited a special book that lets him summon obsidian carbuncle, which allows him to pull his weight with the rest of the scions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
alphinaud isn't really depicted as a fighting savant at any point, nor is he really thrown into situations where he's expected to be one. this is really true of almost all the scions though, they're all strong enough to hang out with the WoL without dragging us down, but really only Estinian approaches our actual power and skill afaik

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Specifically he is better at dodging AOES than your typical DF rando lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember when it was canon for the Scions to do the cool fighting in cutscenes while the WoL stood around like a dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omD6zQOlSzc&t=207s

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Countblanc posted:

alphinaud isn't really depicted as a fighting savant at any point, nor is he really thrown into situations where he's expected to be one. this is really true of almost all the scions though, they're all strong enough to hang out with the WoL without dragging us down, but really only Estinian approaches our actual power and skill afaik

Estinien and Thancred are the only ones really noted for their fighting prowess. And formerly Lyse, I suppose.

It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere when you hear about Thancred's post-teleportation adventures, where he beats a bunch of bears to death with his bare hands while buck naked, though. Like "oh I guess that guy is super tough? News to me."

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think people are being a little too literal about the echo actually being the orange pizza slices, i meant more as in that stuff being the way of enabling the player to act like they have the echo. even in the later stuff where the aoe indicators flicker into being an instant before the attack hits, you can see the cast bar for the move.

like the warrior of light doesn't hit super hard (at least compared to someone like zenos or any of the primals) and doesn't have much greater than normal durability, their main power is being able to matrix dodge around everyone's attacks and whittle them down. the attack indicators and cast bars are just a representation of that power.

there's the sections where you play as other people, but those people are pretty far into their adventuring career by the point you play as them, and they've been trained at various elite places, but the warrior of light is just Some loving Guy who can dance through the eye of a needle from day one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when it was canon for the Scions to do the cool fighting in cutscenes while the WoL stood around like a dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omD6zQOlSzc&t=207s

Back when Gaius was Literally Darth Vader, yes. And while it'd be nice if we were to get more cutscenes of that quality (they've been getting closer over the years), tbh I'm glad ARR and beyond mostly did away the usual MMO deal of having having NPCs do all the cool poo poo while the player just sorta hangs out in back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thundarr posted:

Back when Gaius was Literally Darth Vader, yes. And while it'd be nice if we were to get more cutscenes of that quality (they've been getting closer over the years), tbh I'm glad ARR and beyond mostly did away the usual MMO deal of having having NPCs do all the cool poo poo while the player just sorta hangs out in back.

It's a shame ARR had the Scions just do nothing instead.

Seriously though having the player character actually be involved in the story rather than one of 'a group of adventurers who helped Uther take down the Lich King' is really great. The only thing they're really missing is real dialogue and voice acting - which I suppose they could have done given the volume of VO in the game already but I can see why they didn't (see: SWTOR). Still though it'd be nice for my character to have some input in conversations more than once every ten minutes.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 26, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The amount of bitching would be crazy if they had the WoL actually say stuff. People already flip their poo poo when they're "forced" to do X or Y in the story as is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What about Alphinaud

The actual scion is Obsidian Carbunkle, Alphinaud and Alisaie are just its Summon I and II

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Estinien and Thancred are the only ones really noted for their fighting prowess. And formerly Lyse, I suppose.

It kinda felt like it came out of nowhere when you hear about Thancred's post-teleportation adventures, where he beats a bunch of bears to death with his bare hands while buck naked, though. Like "oh I guess that guy is super tough? News to me."

Y'shtola is also a reasonably big deal. She's a bigger deal after becoming Master Matoya, but even before that, she's one of Eorzea's foremost combat medics.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When does CNJ learn the "Neo stop bullets in mid-air" ability

I guess.. is that supposed to be Fluid Aura

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
time mage is probably inbound in 6.0

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there anything backing that up besides "Gaia had a unique fighting stance in one cutscene"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the circles are canon!!!!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

The actual scion is Obsidian Carbunkle, Alphinaud and Alisaie are just its Summon I and II

so is this!!!!!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

Is there anything backing that up besides "Gaia had a unique fighting stance in one cutscene"

when her concept art was first shown off at fanfest yoshi said she was a hint to the next job

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He actually said the opposite of that. He said that yes, she uses a new weapon, but it’s just the style and isn’t an indication of a new job. He was so blatantly against her being a new job clue, that the big suspicion was that they were dropping a secret third job in shadowbringers.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I mean that's more evidence than my theory of chemist being added based on a one-off line from a kid in the 5.3 MSQs :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Begemot posted:

I mean that's more evidence than my theory of chemist being added based on a one-off line from a kid in the 5.3 MSQs :v:

It could be, but my WoL is already an alchemist that makes potions, and I'm pretty sure some of the alchemist quests involved making potions to heal people.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Magil Zeal posted:

It could be, but my WoL is already an alchemist that makes potions, and I'm pretty sure some of the alchemist quests involved making potions to heal people.

Not only that, but the girl in that quest very explicitly states that she doesn't want to fight, she just wants to travel around making medicine for sick people.

So I'm still not sure why people latched on to that as evidence of an upcoming Chemist healer job.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a popular FF job choice, people are starving for healer news, and there are already battle oriented chemists in the game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Vermain posted:

IIRC, it's not that the aether's been removed, but that it's been largely rendered stagnant ala the Empty. She'd still be able to see its constituent aether, but it'd be comparatively dead and lifeless.

Yeah, if the Burn was truly devoid of aether, there wouldn't be lifeforms there. To the contrary, there's a bunch of creatures in the Burn, mostly elemental-looking entities. So it suggests it's less "there is no life at all here" than "this is unsuitable for flesh-and-blood life, because of the stagnation of the local aether."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

New job: Time Mage
Role: Tank
Level 50 ability: Reverse Time
Disregard all effects applied to you in the last 6 seconds. Can be used while KO'd. Note: can cause weird poo poo when used during fights where bosses like to apply a ton of mechanic-related debuffs. at least two network engineers had mental breakdowns trying to make this work without sending packet sizes through the roof
Evidence: Gaia exists

New job: Chemist
Level 50 ability: Use Potion (All of them)
Causes you to hulk out and become immune to harm for 9 seconds while doing increased damage, but also prevents you from being healed. Applies self damage equal to 50% of your max hp at the end of the effect (this can KO you).
Evidence: Ratfinx Twinkledinx exists

New job: Mediator
Level 50 ability: To Quoque
You leave your enemies so dumbfounded by your argument that they are unable to affect you with harmful actions for 12 seconds. Afterwards you are stunned for 6 seconds while you mentally pat yourself on the back. drat, you really gottem!
Evidence: Varis exists

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
it's "tu quoque"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I blame phone spelling check.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Whelp, my retainers are bringing me crystarium gear. A little unexpected.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is Bozja still worth doing? I started it and got to level 6, and then did one of the boss fates where we got out poo poo wrecked by a red chocobo and I lost an entire fate's worth of xp so I'm seriously rethinking this whole mettle grind thing.

also, I refuse to do any boss that doesn't have a text guide. I'm not watching your dumb 6 minute video with terrible audio or liking or subscribing. just tell me what the loving boss does. There's apparently a million of these guys in Bozja, can't you just tell me the mechanics in a couple of sentences? They're fates you do with randoms, they can't have THAT many mechanics.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A Moose posted:

Is Bozja still worth doing? I started it and got to level 6, and then did one of the boss fates where we got out poo poo wrecked by a red chocobo and I lost an entire fate's worth of xp so I'm seriously rethinking this whole mettle grind thing.

also, I refuse to do any boss that doesn't have a text guide. I'm not watching your dumb 6 minute video with terrible audio or liking or subscribing. just tell me what the loving boss does. There's apparently a million of these guys in Bozja, can't you just tell me the mechanics in a couple of sentences? They're fates you do with randoms, they can't have THAT many mechanics.

Well, they're adding a new duty that requires having completed castrum lacus litore, so if you want to do everything, you may as well start working on it. Plus, it's the replacement for palace of the dead/heaven on high for the shadowbringers level range, so you may want to use it for leveling dps jobs.

None of the bosses are particularly difficult and considering how everyone is constantly doing fates, lost mettle is pretty quickly regained imo (though I still don't like lost progress on death). That said, if you feel the need to read a guide, I found this after a quick Google search.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Red Chocobo's one of the worst just parsing what's going on. If you miss one meteor don't worry, more will be along shortly.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Speculation: Time Mage will work by having applying a debuff that only they benefit from that lasts for a single GCD, then having a bunch of spells with Spell-in-Waiting, and the trick will be to cast all your in such a way that they go off under the effect of the debuff

They'll probably have a few cooldowns that let them manipulate or get around the requirement so they don't get totally hosed by boss transitions or something

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My money is on a gunx melee dps and chemist healer, to fit with garlemald.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chillgamesh posted:

Speculation: Time Mage will work by having applying a debuff that only they benefit from that lasts for a single GCD, then having a bunch of spells with Spell-in-Waiting, and the trick will be to cast all your in such a way that they go off under the effect of the debuff

They'll probably have a few cooldowns that let them manipulate or get around the requirement so they don't get totally hosed by boss transitions or something

It's just gonna be a haste buff that works exactly like greased lightning did

That's why they took it out, they didn't want to double-up on the same gimmick :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

A Moose posted:

also, I refuse to do any boss that doesn't have a text guide. I'm not watching your dumb 6 minute video with terrible audio or liking or subscribing. just tell me what the loving boss does.

Sadly, this is a fight that has been broadly lost years ago. Any information will either be in a video that takes ten times as long to watch as it would to read the same drat information, or it's a post in a random discord server somewhere that you will never find.