Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Figured it out, forgot I had to go to a super obscure SPECIFIC login page for the old TSW. Used to be able to get there from multiple paths but now just seems to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/14/tencent-now-completely-owns-funcom-purveyor-of-conan-exiles-and-secret-world-legends/

“Following the completion of the voluntary offer, Tencent became the owner of 77,365,864 shares in the company, representing approximately 95.11% of the shares and votes in the company,” Funcom posted to its shareholders. It went on to say that Tencent will be purchasing the remaining shares and delisting Funcom on the Oslo stock exchange.

Nothing more to be said really.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The big balance patch arrives on tuesday :toot:

tl:dr notes here: https://forums.funcom.com/t/dungeon-and-raids-rebalance-september-29/139820
full notes here: https://forums.funcom.com/t/dungeon-and-raids-rebalance-full-patch-notes/139814

The full notes are 9000 words but there's some good stuff in there:

Funcom posted:

Made changes to reduce the chance of getting invisible Filth. This does not 100% resolve the problem, but makes it less likely to happen.
:allears:

I joke but I'm actually pretty hyped to see player builds diversify from just "sustain tank" and "rifle/crystallised flame" :v:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

That patch looks... good?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, it really does look very good and I'm expecting a decent amount of players returning to try it out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

The Ankh

Doctor Klein

Dreaming Shroud

Now does Physical damage so that % reduced damage taken and protection reduce incoming damage.

Damage has been adjusted so that this still remains a healer check, but it provides a little more room for tanks to assist in mitigating the incoming damage.

Melothat, the Colossus (on the bridge)

Gate HP now scales with Elite level, and the Gates can now be affected by debuffs such as DoTs.

Fixed Race assignments for: “The Clossus, Melothat”, The Defiled, Research Assistant, Wretched Receptacle, and Doctor Klein

This change makes them take increased damage from agents that target specific types of enemies (ie filth, or mummies)

Fixed a number of geometry exploits

Fixed an incorrectly placed collision barrier at the first anima well

Added some missing death zones

The Filth is more dangerous

Did they finally patch the hole that lets you go behind the spider?

But yeah I may reinstall

Len fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 26, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I honestly almost envy the people who only played WOW or FF14 and don't even know what almost could have been

What did the patch change?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Only thing that will bring me back is new content.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

Only thing that will bring me back is new content.

Yup. Secret World is too awesome to leave in maintenance mode, but it's not worth sticking around for if there's nothing new. Please get us to Congo so I can reinstall!

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Somehow AoC is getting yet another (minor) content update, so Funcom hasn't fully gone maintenance mode on their MMOs. Maybe we'll get the Congo in the form of a horde mode scenario or two.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Just give me more writing and loreand locations, the actual gameplay of Secret World kind of always stinks

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Is it possible to go full healer? I chose fist/blood magic as my class and I feel like I'm not healing enough, even in the starting zone with all the zombies. Is there a weapon combo where I'm doing viable healing but can still solo content?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
You probably want to start out with the damage abilities for each weapon - dungeons below level 50 don't require roles because they're trivially easy.

I think the first healing ability in the row heals for a big bonus when used on yourself, so the best bet is probably use your main hand for damage and save your off hand for just that heal and maybe a cleanse.

Damage and healing can be done with pretty much one set of gear but you won't need to spec full healing until elites at 50.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are healers viable again? Last time I dipped in the role I had gear for wasn't a thing anymore

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yes, that big patch we were all talking about a month ago rebalanced everything so healers are needed and there's more than one viable dps spec :v:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So what has changed since the spring of last year or so? I took a break but am thinking of coming back.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Healers exist, dps specs are more varied, tanks no longer die instantly if they gently caress up their ability rotation by a second, loot from chests is free and dungeons are easier and give better loot so the gear grind is way less obnoxious.

There's more (the notes for that patch were a mile or so long) but that's the main stuff :v:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Healers exist, dps specs are more varied, tanks no longer die instantly if they gently caress up their ability rotation by a second, loot from chests is free and dungeons are easier and give better loot so the gear grind is way less obnoxious.

There's more (the notes for that patch were a mile or so long) but that's the main stuff :v:

Thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

game crashes immediately now, rip

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I will likely never play this again, I feel the rework of the mechanics ruined the game for me.

Is there a cool place I can read the story? It was good but I never made it to Tokyo and it's been so long that I don't remember what happened at all in the game at this point.

They found a thing and brought it back and some guy stabbed the planet and then she's flexible?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I was always hoping for a really thorough let's play. I made it through the original storyline up to Tokyo, but didn't do the dungeons beyond the first two. Then I came back and did part of Tokyo and got up to the part where you had to grind a bit to get access to the next part and fell off again. Then they reset everything with Legends and that was that. I liked it enough I intended to come back but never did.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Funny, I just finally uninstalled this yesterday after not playing it for over a year. It looks like South Africa really is the end of the game.

Secret World did so much right, yet so much wrong. It had the best writing and the best cutscenes I've ever seen in a game. The dungeons were really well done. But some of the design decisions were just so loving bad.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wanted so bad for Legends to not even be good, just well cared for and updated consistently. Alas.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The first area you start in is amazing.

The first part of egypt, not so. Never got any further :/

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What they done right is make lore so deep. It was interesting to ponder and old TSW lore subforum was full of insane conspiracy theories, cross-checks with the Bible, shumer myths, kabbalah, Dictionnaire Infernal etc. The most amazing part was that it was mostly worth it and offered a glimpse into what writers meant.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

The first area you start in is amazing.

The first part of egypt, not so. Never got any further :/

It's rough. My favorite dungeon is in the first Egypt zone, though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FrostyPox posted:

It's rough. My favorite dungeon is in the first Egypt zone, though

It's been 8 years and an unknown number of routers. But I keep naming every wifi network Schwartz Mirage after that dungeon

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Are we talking about The Ankh here?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Brave New World posted:

Are we talking about The Ankh here?

Symbol of Rebirth!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Symbol of Rebirth!

Ze cradle of filth!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sekenr posted:

I honestly almost envy the people who only played WOW or FF14 and don't even know what almost could have been

What did the patch change?

while ff14 does actually own, yeah i keep checking back periodically (see: now) and while i'm pleased there's a balance patch it's just

:negative:

fuckin' South Africa was a serviceable enough taste of the future and then that future too was snatched away

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The only reason FFXIV is my favorite MMO instead of Secret World is because FFXIV keeps getting constant content updates.

I will never love a dungeon the way I loved Ankh, though. It is the best MMORPG dungeon ever in the history of MMOs.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

TSW's dungeons will always occupy a special place in my heart, even more so because of the goon NM runs back in the day (AKA the Klein Appreciation Station). Good times... miss that game and that crew :(

On that note, after coming back to SWL a few months ago post-patch I finally got around to finishing Tokyo after all these years. Thematically, it was everything it was hyped up to be and more. Loved it! Some bad news, though: FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH KLEIN, NOW JOHN IS MY BEST FRIEND.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

I just came back to finish Tokyo and did it today. Is the South Africa any good? After the end of the Orochi skyscraper a cult camp in a desert is kinda bleh.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ataxerxes posted:

I just came back to finish Tokyo and did it today. Is the South Africa any good? After the end of the Orochi skyscraper a cult camp in a desert is kinda bleh.

South Africa has a couple of neat moments, but for the most part it's just real perfunctory and feels tremendously unsatisfying because it has sort of a nonending that's more of a hook for additional content that will never, ever come.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Also, every South Africa boss has way more hp than it needs to, in lieu of being challenging in any way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Me "I'm gonna get drunk and run Ankh like old times"

Funcom "nah man, we've managed to get our game flagged as a Trojan"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Me "I'm gonna get drunk and run Ankh like old times"

Funcom "nah man, we've managed to get our game flagged as a Trojan"
Your computers just want to protect you, even back when it was Ati drivers not working :v:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Maybe it really has become a vector for the Filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

protip: they don't give any sort of warning or message when issuing an ip ban on the discord