Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nephthys posted:

Kotor II was one of the first ones to do something like that though (probably was the first to do it with rpg mechanics) and the thing that stands out about it is how well integrated and organic it is to the story. I'd wager half the people playing wouldn't even have cottoned on to what the writing was alluding to and still enjoyed the twist.
Hard agree. I think the whole allusion is weakly phrased enough that you can just as easily read it as (at most) a parallel between the system and the plot point. It's applicable, but it's not a full-on "yeah, this is actually a video game and you have been just farming XP all this time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just a reminder that Kotor 2 is only the way it is because when Obsidian submitted the game script, expecting quite a few changes demanded by LucasArts for the game not being a proper "Star Wars" they got a blanket approval and leaned into the meta stuff.

I think the fact that a 15 year old game is still causing over a page of back and forth discussions if proof that love or hate it, it was a hugely successful game for Obsidian's brand.

And if anyone is thinking about playing Kotor 2 again for the first time in a while, the Restored Content mod is practically mandatory. It fixes almost every major complaint about the base game and adds in major portions of cut content, including tons of VA lines in the code but never implemented in the game.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 26, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lucca Blight posted:

How is Sea of Thieves if someone is adverse to PvP? Are you going to have a miserable time? Or is it non frequent enough you can just haul rear end when it happens.
You're going to have a miserable time.

I can speak too much to the frequency since it will differ based on when and where you're playing, but you can haul rear end for the most part (as long as you don't get caught on an island) but also hauling rear end will be time-consuming, boring, and it's not unlikely that you'll run into some other problem on the way.
Sitting in the Oceania zone I've had a couple of play sessions where we didn't see anybody at all, but they're in the minority. Starting out was a lot of having the ship being blown up while we were inside a dungeon or trying to read a map, and a lot of the experience curve is learning to manage the risks until finally learning to manage other ships.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lucca Blight posted:

How is Sea of Thieves if someone is adverse to PvP? Are you going to have a miserable time? Or is it non frequent enough you can just haul rear end when it happens.

You're not going to like it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also I got Cattails: Become a Cat thanks to the Christmas gift train and uh. I expected a cutesy cheap knockoff Stardew Valley with cats, I did NOT expect the opening cutscene to practically put me into a frothing rage as a woman buys a kitten from a pet store for her kid, then get mad at her kid and take the cat to the middle of nowhere and dump it. :wtc:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

pentyne posted:

Just a reminder that Kotor 2 is only the way it is because when Obsidian submitted the game script, expecting quite a few changes demanded by LucasArts for the game not being a proper "Star Wars" they got a blanket approval and leaned into the meta stuff.

Didn't one of the Star Wars novel writers take a character or characters in KOTOR 2 and kill them in one of their books or something?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

I think the fact that a 15 year old game is still causing over a page of back and forth discussions if proof that love or hate it, it was a hugely successful game for Obsidian's brand.

Yeah, when I think of the most relevant Obsidian games the list goes KotoR2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't one of the Star Wars novel writers take a character or characters in KOTOR 2 and kill them in one of their books or something?

There's one or two tie-in books for the MMO that explain the fate of the KOTOR main characters, yes.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

Lucca Blight posted:

Yes, it seems fairly rare. The sea is pretty big and I have no idea how many people can join the same server/instance but it's not often that you see enemy players. I've been playing for a little over a week now and was only attacked out of the blue once, when we were doing a PvE event that's highly visible on the map. A team of two snuck up and attacked us. They sank our boat and killed my friend. I swam over to their boat offering them a pricey gem. Then we all played music and danced for a bit, until they were bored of me and killed me too.

I was not a fan of the PvP/battle royale aspects but in practice it doesn't seem that bad. Had we been paying more attention, we would have seen the enemy ship approach. You also don't lose anything if your character dies and only lose your ship's cargo if your ship is sunk. Something that happens anyway whenever you log off. Gold and reputation earned by selling stuff and completing quests cannot be stolen. You can choose to sell your treasure at any nearby outpost (which are spread out all over the map) to minimize any loss.

The game is definitely more fun with crewmates though.

EDIT: huh, reading the other replies to your question, it seems my experience may not be the norm.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

TOR spoilers, which I guess are also KOTOR 2 spoilers:

As of later TOR updates, it's now canon through quests in the game itself that the protagonist from KOTOR 2 basically gives up all their own stuff to go be Revan's sidekick because she's in such awe of/maybe sort of in love with him, and then she gets murdered to buy Revan extra time, and then she dedicates her entire force ghost afterlife to keeping Revan company so he can stay sane through centuries of being in jedi space jail, and then when your TOR protagonist frees Revan she vanishes because her job is done.

The ongoing KOTOR lore is extremely not kind to KOTOR 2.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Has anyone tried the Gloomhaven alpha/beta/whatever the gently caress it is? The reddit thread seems to indicate it's a bit janky and lacking the campaign, but if I could get with friends to play online it might be worth it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Also, IIRC Kreia was just some old loony driven mad by Sith Holocrons and everything she ever said and did were literally just meaningless ramblings of a crazy person.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Also, IIRC Kreia was just some old loony driven mad by Sith Holocrons and everything she ever said and did were literally just meaningless ramblings of a crazy person.

That's a different character.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't heard much about it but I love cute games. What is it about? And how well does it come together?

It's about two young girls getting up to Shenanigans on a tiny island where industry is split into fishing and buried treasure-based tourism. The one girl's dad is getting ready to sell off his failing mini-golf business, which awakens an ancient curse that may or may not be all in the girls' imaginations. Now they have to ride their bikes across the island to find the lost treasure and save the golf course, using frisbees and water balloons to fight ghostly knights and possessed minigolf animatronics. I'll second that it is good and cute.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

30% is deep? The game itself is 80% off sure, but the DLCs are nearer full price than not.

The DLC discounts have never been lower than 30% and likely never will be. Still worth it, especially compared to any other ARPG expansion I can think of.

Awesome! posted:

also the "bang for your buck" crown in the genre obviously goes to path of exile

I don't know all details of their monetization, but having to pay real money just for simple inventory space has always felt scummy to me. At least the game is free to test out. I've tried it a few times over the years and bounced off HARD.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

That's a different character.

Yeah the actual canon lore about Kreia is that she was just a super duper evil Sith and was also in love with the Sith Emperor somehow. Also she becomes a sith spirit and her soul gets enslaved by the fat rear end in a top hat villain from the Sith Warrior storyline in TOR. It's not explicitly said that its her but the description is exactly her so its obvious who they wanted it to be.

Why, you ask? Well:

CarlCX posted:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Awesome! posted:

huh, is torchlight 3 actually getting better? any of you played this new update?
"Truly deserving of the Torchlight name" is kinda damning with faint praise in my book.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lt. Lizard posted:

That's all in KOTOR2 though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

Fun fact: before Planescape Torment, Chris Avellone was Lead Creative Designer on Descent to Undermountain.

Personally, Far Cry 1 had the best story, and it started going downhill with the sequels.

I really need to play KOTOR 2 one of these days (still need to play KOTOR 1, though. And Jade Empire. And Mass Effect 3. First I should finish Dragon Age Origins. Also I should play...

You do not need to play Mass Effect 3.

In fact you should not play it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

sassassin posted:

You do not need to play Mass Effect 3.

In fact you should not play it.

Correction

Play Mass Effect 3 until the end of Tuchanka

Tuchanka is legit loving good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sassassin posted:

That's all in KOTOR2 though.

lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Quill posted:

I don't know all details of their monetization, but having to pay real money just for simple inventory space has always felt scummy to me. At least the game is free to test out. I've tried it a few times over the years and bounced off HARD.
its stash tabs not actual inventory space. there was a guy fairly recently who won several lvl 100 races with just the default 4 stash tabs.

if you end up liking the game i recommend buying a few of them but we are talking like 1 grim dawn expansion's worth. everything after that is cosmetic and for hoarders

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kreia was very wise.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Correction

The story of ME3 is all over the place, but it is fun to play with some good character bits.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Path of Exile is a legitimately excellent arpg.*

*if you look up a build and refer to the wiki when you run into weird seasonal event stuff which is basically on every map. This is about as grog as a diablo-like gets. If you just wanna smash stuff and put points in skills that sound cool, Grim Dawn on normal difficulty has your back. Also maybe one of the new arpgs if Wolcen or Torchlight 3 have their poo poo together now.

The extra stash tabs are a QOL feature for end-game content. You won’t really use them for much before then. They go on sale every 3 months or so. Think I got them when I was working on my second character for a new season.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 27, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Psycho Landlord posted:

Correction

If you think the one scene on Tuchanka that is any good is worth trudging through all the crap that comes before then you and I have very different perspectives on life.

Criticism focused on the terrible endings but the start is just as bad/lazy/insulting and even on the highest difficulty it's too easy to be any fun to play (outside multiplayer which had to dial everything way past "insanity" even on its middle difficulties).

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Glass of Milk posted:

Has anyone tried the Gloomhaven alpha/beta/whatever the gently caress it is? The reddit thread seems to indicate it's a bit janky and lacking the campaign, but if I could get with friends to play online it might be worth it.

Someone just posted about it in the board game thread.

jmzero posted:

Spent some time with the PC version of Gloomhaven (having played a few hundred hours of real life Gloomhaven).

Most of the game feels correct, but you really feel the pain from a lack of a quick Undo feature. You can undo a whole round (even when that's effectively cheating, because you've seen new information) but it takes forever and means you have to re-do everything for the round. It's very easy to misclick something (...or forget to activate an element during a skill resolution, which probably should default to "on" instead of "off"), especially when you're getting used to the interface - and it's a tightly balanced enough game that missing a few clicks is often fatal.

From a programming perspective, this ("instant undo") is the kind of feature that's easy to do if you make it a priority early: all you have to do is make sure your game state is kept in a unified model object that you can serialize/deserialize quickly. This has a ton of other knock-on benefits when it comes to maintenance, regression testing, and when you go to write AI, and all it takes is a little discipline. However, if you let your game state trickle out into 1000 view/controller objects, which I suspect they've done here, it can be very hard to get that back.

Other problems are just that the game-as-written isn't perfectly suited to the medium. Playing by yourself, playing two low-level characters... it feels very grindy, and progression feels way too slow. I would have been very tempted to just jack up numbers for gold and experience gain so that players can try out more characters and see things progress faster. It also feels bizarre that the missions it gives don't form a little campaign of some kind (even if it was just a short "starter" campaign, which led into endless procedurally-generated fights or something).

The visual style of the game is fine I guess, but I wish they had leaned a little more towards "clarity of information", especially in the environments. It's easy to get hamstrung by surprises about which tiles count as obstacles - or even to miss an enemy hiding behind something. The most common/important UI's in the game all need work. Like, all you see when picking an action are card names. Having some icons to show common stuff (eg. Move 3) from the "pick a card view" would help a lot. Other places are just broken - like, the game has lots of tool-tip windows, and they weren't all coded the same. Some don't follow window bounds, so they're half off the screen. Again, this points towards mistakes made early in the design process - the kind of mistakes you make as a developer when you're not used to making this kind of information-dense game. It feels weird/broken that you can't scroll the battlefield by dragging it with the mouse.

For all my complaining, it's not terrible. Gloomhaven is a really solid base game. But I'm not sure this implementation will ever be as good as it could have been (without keeping the assets and gutting the code, anyway).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CarlCX posted:

I kinda of get why they'd do that, I liked KotOR 2 and that was pretty decisive in making me lose the taste for the rest of Star Wars¹.

¹Kyle Katarn games excepted because they own

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mass Effect 3 is good until you get called to the Citadel after Tuchanka and then meet the dumbest character. The wheels continue to fall off from there (special shoutout to Rannoch) thought Javik spending Thessia making GBS threads on asari is fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

I kinda of get why they'd do that, I liked KotOR 2 and that was pretty decisive in making me lose the taste for the rest of Star Wars¹.
Weirdly true. Kreia shits on the basic premises of Star Wars pretty hard... but it's difficult not see her point sometimes.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Whoever Strongmouse is on Steam, your account is compromised and asking for the Team Votes thing

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Goon "StrongMouse" can be added to the wagon;

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Funky Valentine posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good until you get called to the Citadel after Tuchanka and then meet the dumbest character. The wheels continue to fall off from there (special shoutout to Rannoch) thought Javik spending Thessia making GBS threads on asari is fun.

Javic was good but considering he was technically DLC.
ME3 was fun playing it but oooooof.

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

Hey Strong Mouse your account has been compromised. Go reset your password.

Brother Buer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 27, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like that scam finally got to one of the goons on my list:

Like is the bot fake playing Runescape or something I don't understand.

Brother Buer posted:

Hey Strong Mouse your account has been compromised. Go reset your password.

Welp guess it sent out a burst of messages, then.

I don't get how this scam is even still around at this point, you'd think Valve would've cracked down on it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I voted for your team, strongmouse!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I love reading these posts, months after the virus came out (I know it's not technically a virus,) and people are still falling for that poo poo months later.

Also, I will never vote for your thing, I will tell you I did though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zedd posted:

Javic was good but considering he was technically DLC.
ME3 was fun playing it but oooooof.

Any discussion of Mass Effect 3 should be "do you own the complete edition and also did you play ME1/2?" because otherwise there's no reason to play the game when 90% of the best content came from the DLC plus the insane amount of stuff, major or minor that carried through the series.

Leviathan was "okay, fine we'll explain what is going on and drop the whole ~spooky mystery~ angle" that bad writers think makes for a gripping and compelling story. Wasn't good not great and at least explained more then the original child ghost did.

Javik was literally the best character in the game and keeping him around to basically poo poo all over the current society is great. Whenever he wasn't in the party and something crazy happened with the party members interjecting, all I could think was"what would Javik say about this?"

Citadel is literally fan-service done right, almost like the true ending to the trilogy, where if you had been playing the ME games for the past 5 years you got to feel like it was the wrap party for the cast and characters.

Of course, they also hurried out a free fix to the original ending that did some work in making it more tolerable.

I'd go so far as to say that ME3 is significantly worse if you didn't at least play 2, because otherwise you're just thrown in with a ton of characters you barely know who act and talk like you're their best friends forever. I'm sure the ME3 content for sole survivor ending of ME2 is wildly different in general and would probably be the best way to approach ME3 if you haven't played the first 2.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 27, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
StrongMouse messaged me as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have no idea who StrongMouse is, but they seem to very popular. Lots of friends right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kind of feeling left out that StrongMouse didn't try to scam me. :(