Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just saw the secret ending and drat, that one looks like the most fun to boot. PErfect ending for my invincible punch character but ain't repeating the whole game just to experience it myself. Maybe in a few years if they keep adding to the game. For now, I basically 100% it and it was a good game with some interesting endings, none were what I was really expecting either, least not in full.

edit: Ah, it doesn't actually end all that different than the others, just a better mission.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Piell posted:

As far as I can tell, if they already have a big weapon out they'll drop it in the ground and take out a lovely pistol to kill themselves, leaving both weapons on the ground. If they haven't drawn their weapon yet you just get thr lovely pistol.
Well that is good news about Suicide, the curiosity was how consistent the Weapon sabotage hack is in "Will you always/sometimes get the proper loot?"

Survey says "Maybe?" for primary targets meant to have noted loot given times I've gotten a lovely and good version of weapons from primary mission targets.

Though bullying more random trash and leading a guy with an assault rifle into a corner alone over a dozen times now, it seems frequent they will drop a common 50 DPS assault rifle from the hack, pull out a pistol, then drop a leveled pistol a whole lot.

So yeah hope you like handguns as your primary leveled loot I guess if you use the cooler gun hacks? Just another reason to love reboot optics more.

EDIT: Normally this could be dealt with via "Just use a weaker gun disable hack" if you wanted 100% maximum gun loot while still using weapon disable. But if you have a higher rank quick hack it is hidden from your UI in the equip menu even if you have five copies.

Bonus Edit: For the last test I didn't use weapon hack and he dropped a nice legendary SMG, which was turned into a 50 DPS common when testing out the weapon hack on him several times :eng99:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 26, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Piell posted:

Whoops, I was thinking of suicide.

Hey, hang in there buddy the game isn't that bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

navyjack posted:

Someone wasn’t paying attention when walking behind Panam

I took a quick look at the wiki, and it looks like Panam is out in the badlands/part of the Nomad path. I took the Street Kid path, so I haven't gotten outside the city and met her yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skipping pages 505-596 as I play my second start (int/cool quickhacker, but my next goal is double-jump legs!).

Comte: I assume you're to blame for the Thorton line of cars. Also, why did they reverse the meanings of input/output as slang for girlfriend/boyfriend? Or is the game just more queer than I thought and I've only heard people use the term when describing same-sex relationships?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Hey, hang in there buddy the game isn't that bad.

:eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

I took a quick look at the wiki, and it looks like Panam is out in the badlands/part of the Nomad path. I took the Street Kid path, so I haven't gotten outside the city and met her yet.

She is in the badlands but isn't part of Nomad intro, you just gotta play more of the game :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Normally this could be dealt with via "Just use a weaker gun disable hack" if you wanted 100% maximum gun loot while still using weapon disable. But if you have a higher rank quick hack it is hidden from your UI in the equip menu even if you have five copies.

you can disassemble or sell hacks (maybe it's only one of two, don't remember). i did this to get rid of the legendary ping.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
As I was laying in bed last in agony because I pulled a muscle in my back I was going over my tinfoil hat theory about what happened during development for this game and something occurred to me that I don't know the answer for regarding the Relic.

Why is Johnny's engram on the chip Yorinobu stole? It's supposed to be a prototype chip to test the technology of soul transfer for Saburo's quest for immortality right? So why is it Johhny's engram? The point of the chip is to at some point slot it into someone to see if it works and the engram takes over, right? So surely Arasaka would pick literally anyone else to bring back from the dead. They have a whole heap of engrams they have via the secure your soul programme - presumably some people they'd actually like to see walking around in the world again. So why is it Johhny fuckin' Silverhand?

My theory is that in the first version of the story (of which Act 1 and the Evelyn/Voodoo Boys parts of Act 2 are the remnants) the chip was probably a blank prototype and Yorinobu stole it as a direct action against his father's plan. Which makes a lot more sense because why the gently caress does Yorinobu want a chip with Johnny Silverhand's engram on it?

Maybe something obvious just completely eluded me?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

stratdax posted:

Regardless of what the fixer tells you, you can just shoot the cyberpsychos with a regular, extremely lethal gun. It puts them in the downed state, but they don't bleed out and die like other regular enemies. Just don't keep shooting them after they're down.

Or turn in the quest then shoot them after it clears so you can get more XP

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

you can disassemble or sell hacks (maybe it's only one of two, don't remember). i did this to get rid of the legendary ping.
Considering I can just re-craft better gun hacks if I want em, I might resort to this later considering the reveal "Yeah that guy had a legendary gun, too bad it got turned into a common 50 DPS one huh?" during testing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Bullet time + grenades is actually stupid fun.

My real point was left unsaid,so I will clarify: I have hundreds of grenades and I haven't crafted any. So he doesn't really need to craft them if he likes using them, the game showers you in them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

As I was laying in bed last in agony because I pulled a muscle in my back I was going over my tinfoil hat theory about what happened during development for this game and something occurred to me that I don't know the answer for regarding the Relic.

Why is Johnny's engram on the chip Yorinobu stole? It's supposed to be a prototype chip to test the technology of soul transfer for Saburo's quest for immortality right? So why is it Johhny's engram? The point of the chip is to at some point slot it into someone to see if it works and the engram takes over, right? So surely Arasaka would pick literally anyone else to bring back from the dead. They have a whole heap of engrams they have via the secure your soul programme - presumably some people they'd actually like to see walking around in the world again. So why is it Johhny fuckin' Silverhand?

My theory is that in the first version of the story (of which Act 1 and the Evelyn/Voodoo Boys parts of Act 2 are the remnants) the chip was probably a blank prototype and Yorinobu stole it as a direct action against his father's plan. Which makes a lot more sense because why the gently caress does Yorinobu want a chip with Johnny Silverhand's engram on it?

To trade it to netwatch so they can go find Alt and then Yorinobu can gently caress up Arasaka.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To trade it to netwatch so they can go find Alt and then Yorinobu can gently caress up Arasaka.

I guess that makes sense because I also couldn't figure out why Netwatch was trying to buy the chip off Evelyn since they're all about the net/cyber security and again - why would they want an engram of Johhny Silverhands? It still doesn't seem obvious why both Netwatch and the Voodoo Boys would think of this convoluted plan to draw Alt out with an engram of Silverhand. There just seem to be some weird leaps in logic to the plan.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wew I am not impressed by this game's performance at 1440p on my shiny new 3070 at all

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Claire, I know all car chase damage is highly scripted but would it kill you to bring something bigger than the least impressive tech pistol in the game?

Beat cops 15 feet away don't care about her causing a wreck and threatening to put a bullet in a man's head. Who do I have to pay to get this kind of apathy for MY accidental road rage?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just upgraded to a high end PC from my ps4 pro and......... :chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I guess that makes sense because I also couldn't figure out why Netwatch was trying to buy the chip off Evelyn since they're all about the net/cyber security and again - why would they want an engram of Johhny Silverhands? It still doesn't seem obvious why both Netwatch and the Voodoo Boys would think of this convoluted plan to draw Alt out with an engram of Silverhand. There just seem to be some weird leaps in logic to the plan.

My reading of the story was that in 2020 the technology was brand new and unproven, and they decided to test it on Johnny because the earlier attempts were "worse than death". When it worked to create the engram that paved the way for using the same idea as a product decades later. The idea to get the engram for use in finding alt was a more recent plot.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

navyjack posted:

Someone wasn’t paying attention when walking behind Panam

A whales tail is when thong underwear is visible above low riding jeans. what is it called when you are apparently wearing a full one piece swimsuit under your outfit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

A whales tail is when thong underwear is visible above low riding jeans. what is it called when you are apparently wearing a full one piece swimsuit under your outfit

"Romanceable character." Her half a racing jacket, leotard, rear end-harness design is there to say "flirt with me" to the gamer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MarshyMcFly posted:

Just upgraded to a high end PC from my ps4 pro and......... :chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

LOL! What kind of deck you runnin?

also this:

hard to tell but I'm driving under it, it's not crashing into me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Salt Fish posted:

My reading of the story was that in 2020 the technology was brand new and unproven, and they decided to test it on Johnny because the earlier attempts were "worse than death". When it worked to create the engram that paved the way for using the same idea as a product decades later. The idea to get the engram for use in finding alt was a more recent plot.

They created the engram in 2020 and stored it in Miroshi (there's still a copy of Silverhand's engram in Miroshi) but put it on the new prototype chip that Hellman invented fairly recently. Surely if they just needed Silverhand's engram they would have just put the thing on a floppy disc and not this bleeding edge technology that Saburu had made as a way to become immortal. The whole purpose of the Relic is to bring the engram back to life in a new body.

After reading the wiki I'm even less convinced that there's a good reason for Silverhand's engram to be on the Relic. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Relic

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 26, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saburo didn't pick Johnny; Yorinobu did. He's trying to overthrow his god-emperor father and the Arasaka dynasty, so he selects a terrorist who previously nuked their HQ.

If you pick the Johnny ending, then Yorinobu gets exactly what he wants and wins (Arasaka hosed, Saburo deleted). If you pick the Arasaka ending, he comments on how twisted it is that you're serving them and the one who actually foils him (And obviously Johnny is pretty pissed about it all)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 26, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

They created the engram in 2020 and stored it in Miroshi (there's still a copy of Silverhand's engram in Miroshi) but put it on the new prototype chip that Hellman invented fairly recently. Surely if they just needed Silverhand's engram they would have just put the thing on a floppy disc and not this bleeding edge technology that Saburu had made as a way to become immortal. The whole purpose of the Relic is to bring the engram back to life in a new body.

Who knows if Yorinobu had more motives than simply selling an engram? Given how much he resents his father and his own past as a rebellious bike gangoon he might have enjoyed threatening Saburo with the idea of seeing Arasaka's former nemesis reincarnated.

Plus, we have no way of knowing if simply 'putting it on a floppy' works for engrams and if that would suit the customers' needs. Presumably Netwatch wants Johnny as bait to catch and eliminate Alt.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any utility to the weapon malfunction quickhack? Other than causing your enemies a slight delay as they simply pull out a different gun to shoot you with?

Weapon malfunction could make sense against enemies with sniper rifles, but only when you lack better ranged options and there's no cover. I wouldn't run around with it in the deck, but you could hotswap under those very specific conditions.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Romanceable character." Her half a racing jacket, leotard, rear end-harness design is there to say "flirt with me" to the gamer.

You're even introduced to her as she's rear end up, face down in a car engine. Maybe I'm being too sensitive but it reminded me a little of those infamous Miranda shots from Mass Effect 2

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just caught this flashing in the background lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Regarding Netwatch involvement, since Alt didnt recognize or feel any affection towards Johnny when they met behind the blackwall, wasnt their plan doomed to fail anyway?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zaphod42 posted:

Saburo didn't pick Johnny; Yorinobu did. He's trying to overthrow his god-emperor father and the Arasaka dynasty, so he selects a terrorist who previously nuked their HQ.

If you pick the Johnny ending, then Yorinobu gets exactly what he wants and wins (Arasaka hosed, Saburo deleted). If you pick the Arasaka ending, he comments on how twisted it is that you're serving them and the one who actually foils him (And obviously Johnny is pretty pissed about it all)

Did Yorinobu have access to Miroshi in order to get this specific engram put onto the chip? Was there already one there for the taking? This wasn't one of many chips - there are two prototypes. One with Saburo's engram on it and one with Silverhand's. I just feel like there's a huge leap of logic made at some point in order to get Silverhand's engram onto that chip.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'd prefer it if the legendary quick hack passives were their own discrete system instead of being tacked on to already busted spells. with a whole lot of extra balancing, ofc (they could permanently take up multiple ram slots, for instance)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Solice Kirsk posted:

When you get the same jacket it removes all of your clothes, so she's too dressed even.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Jackie heist I wonder if Jackie would still be alive if he had kept the relic in his head :vince:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Regarding Netwatch involvement, since Alt didnt recognize or feel any affection towards Johnny when they met behind the blackwall, wasnt their plan doomed to fail anyway?

I think its actually a little ambiguous how she feels. She plays it like she's a cold calculating god-AI but I feel like there was some conversation in one of the endings which implied maybe she did still care about Johnny.

But ultimately yeah its highly unlikely they could goad her into doing something careless and they'd fail. Stupid netwatch lol.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah but they didn't necessarily know that. If you're going to make the leap in logic that somehow this engram will bring Alt out into the open then you're already taking chances.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

VoLaTiLe posted:

Jackie heist I wonder if Jackie would still be alive if he had kept the relic in his head :vince:

Probably, but then he would be the one with a ghost buddy/terrorist in his head and on the clock

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Did Yorinobu have access to Miroshi in order to get this specific engram put onto the chip? Was there already one there for the taking? This wasn't one of many chips - there are two prototypes. One with Saburo's engram on it and one with Silverhand's. I just feel like there's a huge leap of logic made at some point in order to get Silverhand's engram onto that chip.

It seems plenty plausible to me. After all, he hatched some grand scheme which DID succeed in him stealing the Relic from Arasaka. And being Saburo's son he has enough Arasaka clout to be able to get into things like the engrams. Its Mikoshi by the way ;) So yeah, I figure wherever the relic prototype was where Yorinobu was able to steal it, it was either at Mikoshi or he was able to steal it and then accesse Mikohsi and load up Silverhand on it. Of course, Arasaka quickly figured out he was up to no good, Saburo was alerted, but decided to meet with his son himself and confront him on what he was doing. With Saburo being engram'd himself previously, it almost seemed like this was also an intentional move by Saburo to test his son once and for all. He may have even known Yorinobu was stealing the relic and allowed him to do it up to a point.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Quick cyberpsycho question. I've got a pistol modded for non-lethal and also have stuff like contagion and system reset. These are all supposed to be non-lethal, but they keep dying and then I get yelled at.

Is there something I'm missing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yeah this was loving with me the entire second half of the game.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Probably, but then he would be the one with a ghost buddy/terrorist in his head and on the clock

But this is also true.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Quick cyberpsycho question. I've got a pistol modded for non-lethal and also have stuff like contagion and system reset. These are all supposed to be non-lethal, but they keep dying and then I get yelled at.

Contagion and poison seem to be kinda funky with non-lethal. I think its something like they do non-lethal and "knock out" the target, but then it procs for further damage so the game goes "welp, they're dead now"

Like if you knocked someone unconscious and then kept beating them in the head with a lead pipe I think the game would have them die. (And pretty often the game seems to kill people who you intentionally knocked out because physics decides you bumped into them too hard or something) But that means that they should stop proc-ing once the target is unconscious! That or I'm grasping at straws and its just doing lethal and lies.

Hard to say exactly but could be any number of bugs.

The good news with cyberpsychos is they have lots of HP so I just shoot them in the head with lethal bullets until they're at like 8% HP and then switch to a lead pipe and beat their face in. Works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Make sure you stop attacking as soon as they go down. Otherwise, it's probably a bug.

Personally, I always finish them off with a blunt weapon or gorilla fists to avoid this issue