Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Driving game, fairly recent I think. I only saw a video of it, there's no real road just a whole bunch of loops and ramps and things floating in space. I don't have the video anymore sadly

Could it be Trackmania?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hwurmp posted:

Could it be Trackmania?
No it was insanely abstract, like the car was on a ramp then through the air then looping off a building then coasting through the air again then off another ramp etc, no ground anywhere. The video I saw was a tweet titled something like "Dads trying to park"

e: gravity seemed to be oriented to whatever surface you were currently on, orientation changed constantly

e2: \/ you're a wizard! \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 26, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyiXhR64cas

sholom
Feb 18, 2011

Splicer posted:

Driving game, fairly recent I think. I only saw a video of it, there's no real road just a whole bunch of loops and ramps and things floating in space. I don't have the video anymore sadly

Could be one of the Trackmania games?

Edit: Didn't realize I wasn't on the latest page - whoops!

sholom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 26, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody know about an asian life sim/monopoly game? The main gameplay is monopoly esque, where you roll dice and progress on a track, buying properties and stuff, but the game kinda tracked the progress of your career.

Played it on PC in the very early 90s.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Serperoth posted:

I think you may be thinking of Battle Cats (I think I have it on my old phone I'll check in the morning)
Where you spawn minimal-animé style cats and fight an enemy base which also spawns similar cars? Can't check your link now to confirm if it's like they

No, this was a lot edgier looking than that, also the cats stood up on their hind legs like a human, also I remember the cats being all black. I'm pretty sure I played it on Newgrounds. So if there were a phone version it would've probably been pre-smartphone.

Also I know I said side scroller earlier, but I believe it was somewhat reminiscent of Metal Slug, but I remember playing it after Alien Hominid existed.

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody know about an asian life sim/monopoly game? The main gameplay is monopoly esque, where you roll dice and progress on a track, buying properties and stuff, but the game kinda tracked the progress of your career.

Maybe Itadaki Street, it's a long running Japanese series that mostly hasn't come out overseas, but a Nintendo themed version came out on the Wii as Fortune Street.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 27, 2020

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Jones in the Fast Lane is the only one I can think of, although it's not Asian in any way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like itadaki street. I think they met life sim as in like the game of life not like jones on the fast lane on this grand life.

Dec 25, 2020

PC. I believe it was MS DOS but it might have been Windows 3 or even 95. It was a turn-based strategy game set in England, where you'd play as one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and raise armies to battle against the others for the English throne after King Arthur was assassinated or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

110 posted:

PC. I believe it was MS DOS but it might have been Windows 3 or even 95. It was a turn-based strategy game set in England, where you'd play as one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and raise armies to battle against the others for the English throne after King Arthur was assassinated or something.

Defender of the Crown

Dec 25, 2020

signalnoise posted:

Defender of the Crown

goons continue to amaze me

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

signalnoise posted:

Defender of the Crown

110 posted:

goons continue to amaze me
One of my favorite games of all time. Would recommend emulating the NES version since it's actually difficult.

This version was surprisingly decent as well, mostly due to the vastly expanded map: https://www.mobygames.com/game/robin-hood-defender-of-the-crown

ps: wolfric the wild supremacy

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

FanaticalMilk posted:

No, this was a lot edgier looking than that, also the cats stood up on their hind legs like a human, also I remember the cats being all black. I'm pretty sure I played it on Newgrounds. So if there were a phone version it would've probably been pre-smartphone.

Also I know I said side scroller earlier, but I believe it was somewhat reminiscent of Metal Slug, but I remember playing it after Alien Hominid existed.

Maybe Itadaki Street, it's a long running Japanese series that mostly hasn't come out overseas, but a Nintendo themed version came out on the Wii as Fortune Street.

Strangely enough, the people that made battle cats went on to make two similar games with the metal slug property. not quite what you are looking for but decent enough games.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I remember an old "halo killer fps" that X-Play (or Extended Play) reviewed where they kept making jokes about the drill sergeant character saying "or I'll shove a boot in your rear end" alot. it had a particularly strange art direction, where the guns were these huge cylindrical things with a bunch of open space on them? I remember alot of the armor and guns being dark gray or black, and it was trying to sell itself on having AI buddies you could command. Anybody remember this?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 27, 2020

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's not black and white, but what about This?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I remember an old "halo killer fps" that X-Play (or Extended Play) reviewed where they kept making jokes about the drill sergeant character saying "or I'll shove a boot in your rear end" alot. it had a particularly strange art direction, where the guns were these huge cylindrical things with a bunch of open space on them? I remember alot of the armor and guns being dark gray or black, and it was trying to sell itself on having AI buddies you could command. Anybody remember this?

Unreal 2 is the first thing that comes to mind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Could it be Breed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fec7pgJpQDs

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yes, that's absolutely it. Thanks!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zathril posted:

It's not black and white, but what about This?

I think that's it. Not quite how I remember it, but it's so close it's gotta be it. Thanks!

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
Hey goons, I'm after a space fighter pilot game I remember playing around 20ish years ago. I've only played the demo of it back then so some aspects of the story may be different to the full game?

It's similar to Freespace 2, in that I remember it was separated out by missions, and each of these missions had you piloting through a few jump gates to get to your destination, and sometimes back and forwards a few times. One mission in particular had a bonus objective of shooting a civilian ship until it's shields were down as it was overheating. Doing this got you some money you used to buy upgrades for your ship or different ships? Each mission started and ended with you docking or leaving a space station.

I also remember that the demo ended with your character being sent through a one way warp gate after being framed for destroying a different space station.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Bobsedgws posted:

Hey goons, I'm after a space fighter pilot game I remember playing around 20ish years ago. I've only played the demo of it back then so some aspects of the story may be different to the full game?

It's similar to Freespace 2, in that I remember it was separated out by missions, and each of these missions had you piloting through a few jump gates to get to your destination, and sometimes back and forwards a few times. One mission in particular had a bonus objective of shooting a civilian ship until it's shields were down as it was overheating. Doing this got you some money you used to buy upgrades for your ship or different ships? Each mission started and ended with you docking or leaving a space station.

I also remember that the demo ended with your character being sent through a one way warp gate after being framed for destroying a different space station.

I know this one! Tachyon: The Fringe. I played the demo a whole lot as a kid.

E: It is currently on sale for 2.49 on steam. It features Bruce Campbell as the main character VA apparently.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 29, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Bobsedgws posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/Tachyon_The_Fringe/

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

E: It is currently on sale for 2.49 on steam. It features Bruce Campbell as the main character VA apparently.

Thanks both! This is exactly it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CrazySalamander posted:

I hope the Steam version works, I had it on disc and even ten years ago it wouldn't run on then modern systems

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is that game good? It's not old to me, but I'd love to play another Freespace-style game if it's good.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

aniviron posted:

Is that game good? It's not old to me, but I'd love to play another Freespace-style game if it's good.
It's okay, maybe like 6.5-7/10ish? The presentation is better than most but while it can't really compete with the Wing Commanders or Freespaces, it's a lot better than the soulless Freelancer or the multitude of budget space dogfighters. It has a concrete story-path starring Bruce Campbell and it's not overly long so I say go for it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Joe Man posted:

it's a lot better than the soulless Freelancer

Did you miss Ian Ziering and Gimli acting the crap out of that game?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Did you miss Ian Ziering and Gimli acting the crap out of that game?
I must've because good lord I was bored out of my mind. Combat/controls made for children and copy/pasted and repetitive everything. Huge disappointment (and I think Privateer is still great). Probably grabbing Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw before the sale is over since it looks like exactly what I'm hoping it is (Freespace combat w/Privateer RPG mechanics)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Joe Man posted:

I must've because good lord I was bored out of my mind. Combat/controls made for children and copy/pasted and repetitive everything. Huge disappointment (and I think Privateer is still great). Probably grabbing Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw before the sale is over since it looks like exactly what I'm hoping it is (Freespace combat w/Privateer RPG mechanics)

There's a very good story in there, completely crippled at the end by a cut budget and deadline. I thought the game generally had an excellent presentation, with great facial animations, sound, and music.

But yes, it is very much an arcadey shooter, don't go in expecting TIE Fighter or something. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I remember liking Tachyon a lot back in the day

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
I did an overnight binge of it, and I feel it's very front-loaded i.e. they really put a lot of effort in to the world building in the first part of the game and the bit I'm in now (just got up to the third area) feels a lot less "alive" - there's barely any irrelevant but world building chatter anymore while the start of the game had a lot of it.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I vaguely recall playing a game that's like the original Dark Orbit (single small plane in 3rd person), but looking more like Starcraft, I *think* there was some crystal collection involved as well, but maybe my mind has just created this fake-memory mashup. Anyone recognize this?

PC, must have been roughly 20 years ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How did it look more like Starcraft? Was it sprites instead of 3D?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Swarm (1998)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3jdU8cAIb4

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Hwurmp posted:

How did it look more like Starcraft? Was it sprites instead of 3D?

Almost certainly sprites, yes.

No, atleast in the first level you were flying low over ground on a planet, not in space.

As I remember it it's like a starcraft map, without buildings, with high terrain walls, and slightly darker in tone.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 30, 2020

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

iSurrender posted:

No, atleast in the first level you were flying low over ground on a planet, not in space.

Just in case "original Dark Orbit" is referring to the original version of the browser game instead, there was a 2001 Dark Orbit that is a good fit for your description apart from using sprites.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Looking for help on two different games here on two separate systems.

Firstly, I posted this in the Mac OS Classic game thread before I found this thread, so sharing it here as well.

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the mac's we had in our computer lab back in the mid 90's.

It was a static screen adventure game that was set in a castle (I think) I remember one of the early screens had a hall way that you pulled on a torch to open up a secret passage. I never really got very far in it as we never had much time to play games during the class. I have vague memories of picking up an apple that was done as the Apple logo, but outside of that, that's all I really remember. It was B&W I think too.

Edit: This was called Radical Castle, thanks to Thuryl in the Mac OS Classic game thread for identifying it for me.

Second game that I've been trying to remember the name of is a game I played on the Amiga in the early to mid 90's. It may have been on PC as well, but I'm not 100% certain.

Was a top down game, you could move all over the place, like Alien Breed. The thing that stood out to me was you could select different levels, that I think had different objectives although it could have just been a kill everyone on the map type game, but in the middle of the map where you started, was a big square hole, that if you touched you fell down and died. However once you completed the level or objective, that was how you exited the map.

I've tried searching thru Lemon Amiga, and Hall of Light, but couldn't spot it. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: One more sorry, I know what this one was called but cannot find any info of it ever existing so I want to see if anyone else has heard of it before.

Was an FPS based on the movie The Rock. So it was set on Alcatraz. I only ever played the demo of it so I don't know if it ever got a full release. Would have been late 90's, I'm thinking 97-99 and it was off some CD from a PC magazine that I cannot remember the name of. I'm really just looking for clarification that this game actually existed haha.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 31, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Custard Undies posted:

Looking for help on two different games here on two separate systems.

Firstly, I posted this in the Mac OS Classic game thread before I found this thread, so sharing it here as well.

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the mac's we had in our computer lab back in the mid 90's.

It was a static screen adventure game that was set in a castle (I think) I remember one of the early screens had a hall way that you pulled on a torch to open up a secret passage. I never really got very far in it as we never had much time to play games during the class. I have vague memories of picking up an apple that was done as the Apple logo, but outside of that, that's all I really remember. It was B&W I think too.

Edit: This was called Radical Castle, thanks to Thuryl in the Mac OS Classic game thread for identifying it for me.

Second game that I've been trying to remember the name of is a game I played on the Amiga in the early to mid 90's. It may have been on PC as well, but I'm not 100% certain.

Was a top down game, you could move all over the place, like Alien Breed. The thing that stood out to me was you could select different levels, that I think had different objectives although it could have just been a kill everyone on the map type game, but in the middle of the map where you started, was a big square hole, that if you touched you fell down and died. However once you completed the level or objective, that was how you exited the map.

I've tried searching thru Lemon Amiga, and Hall of Light, but couldn't spot it. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: One more sorry, I know what this one was called but cannot find any info of it ever existing so I want to see if anyone else has heard of it before.

Was an FPS based on the movie The Rock. So it was set on Alcatraz. I only ever played the demo of it so I don't know if it ever got a full release. Would have been late 90's, I'm thinking 97-99 and it was off some CD from a PC magazine that I cannot remember the name of. I'm really just looking for clarification that this game actually existed haha.

First game is likely Shadowgate, one of the Macventure games.

Also, for the FPS, the only thing I have is that I once downloaded and played a super detailed Duke3D map based on Alcatraz/The Rock movie.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 31, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Custard Undies posted:

Possibly Alcatraz: Prison Escape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6cZbCBR1F0

It's not an FPS as such, but it is first-person and came out in 2001 so I can see a demo appearing in 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

cmndstab posted:

Possibly Alcatraz: Prison Escape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6cZbCBR1F0

It's not an FPS as such, but it is first-person and came out in 2001 so I can see a demo appearing in 1999.

Yeah, I found that after I posted the question. That isn't it.

Interestingly, I did find a game that was based on the movie The Rock, but it was from 2010, and the one I played was def not that one. I do wonder if it was never released, seeing that I can not find any info about it.

If I could remember what magazine it was from, I'd go back and look and see there is pictures of the front cover/cover disc.