Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Including Monster Hunter. The story additions in World were fairly annoying.

I don't really care about your writing if the act of playing does not capture me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
tfw you're cutting games from your cart to make it more affordable :(

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Triarii posted:

Actually, all games should abandon storytelling, and become Monster Hunter.
You can't just abandon storytelling. You have to add in palicoes too.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

err posted:

Remember to check isthereanydeal for games you really want. Sometimes you can get stuff cheaper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People keep calling DE a visual novel, like adventure games as a genre never existed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Xarbala posted:

People keep calling DE a visual novel, like adventure games as a genre never existed.
Not to mention visual novels as a genre..

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the problems with Pathfinder Kingmaker's trap choices is because it's the sort of game where if you don't pick the correct class you're hosed.

But this has been a problem with D&D for a long time, it's why 3.x charop had different tiers of class of comparable power level to make balanced parties, and this in effect translated to "how good is this class at casting spells, and can it do other things good too?"

Volte posted:

Not to mention visual novels as a genre..

Yeah if you say Ace Attorney's a visual novel, then yeah I could see it. But if you think DE is a visual novel that's like saying D&D 4e is WoW.

Which only people who've never played Final Fantasy Tactics or Divinity Original Sin would say.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xarbala posted:

There's no sequence where your detective picks up a pie and has to throw it at a yeti so DE is clearly not an adventure game.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

explosivo posted:

I'm about 20 hours or so into Borderlands 3 with a friend of mine and I'm really enjoying it. The loot is so much more varied and interesting, and the classes all have a variety of builds that all seem pretty neat. I really like the design of the different areas, you do still do a lot of killing skags in a desert but the main questline has some cool setpieces. The writing and dialog is predictably awful for a new Borderlands, they really do the incessant babbling over the radio thing all the drat time. Some of these characters wouldn't be so obnoxious if they just let them do wacky character stuff when you go to talk to them or during cutscenes, instead of have them talk and crack jokes constantly while you're out doing poo poo for them.

the writing feels like they put a bunch of material in a time capsule while making the first game and cracked that bad boy open to unleash a lot of jokes about like 'bro culture' that no one has even thought about since 2010 on an unsuspecting populace

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I sort of enjoy Kingmaker, but it is not a game that I ever expect to finish. It is a game I mess around with a little from time to time until it annoys me and I put it down and come back later. I do not think "Pathfinder" anything is worth bothering with unless you are ok with the idea that the system is a giant jumbled mess and the authors very much have a "kitchen sink" approach to rules and bullshit. If you are familiar with the tabletop version or are willing to learn the ins and outs of the Pathfinder ruleset's problems features knock yourself out, but skip it otherwise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Karma Tornado posted:

the writing feels like they put a bunch of material in a time capsule while making the first game and cracked that bad boy open to unleash a lot of jokes about like 'bro culture' that no one has even thought about since 2010 on an unsuspecting populace

This is accurate. It's a testament to how fun the moment-to-moment gameplay is that I'm willing to wade through the lovely dialog to continue playing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

err posted:

Buy less train simulator DLC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either, maybe because of the amount of text involved? I'd personally describe Disco Elysium as an adventure game with RPG elements.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Underwhelmed posted:

I sort of enjoy Kingmaker, but it is not a game that I ever expect to finish. It is a game I mess around with a little from time to time until it annoys me and I put it down and come back later. I do not think "Pathfinder" anything is worth bothering with unless you are ok with the idea that the system is a giant jumbled mess and the authors very much have a "kitchen sink" approach to rules and bullshit. If you are familiar with the tabletop version or are willing to learn the ins and outs of the Pathfinder ruleset's problems features knock yourself out, but skip it otherwise.

I've been playing it for three days straight and I love it, even if i hate pathfinder/3.5 rules and am straight up pissed we never got a proper D&D 4e video game. What sold me on Kingmaker is it's REAL turn based! None of this real time with pause bullshit that I hate with POE or the older D&D games. I haven't had an actual full on turn based rpg since Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Do we have a thread for Kingmaker? Kind of annoyed that my enchantment specialized wizard has half their spells not function in the early game.

\/\/\/ty

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 27, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

I've been playing it for three days straight and I love it, even if i hate pathfinder/3.5 rules and am straight up pissed we never got a proper D&D 4e video game. What sold me on Kingmaker is it's REAL turn based! None of this real time with pause bullshit that I hate with POE or the older D&D games. I haven't had an actual full on turn based rpg since Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Do we have a thread for Kingmaker? Kind of annoyed that my enchantment specialized wizard has half their spells not function in the early game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869934

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kingmaker having an official turn-based mode was added in after release, used to need a mod for it. Granted I'm pretty sure they actually hired the guy who made the mod to do this so that's pretty cool.

This and BG3 being turn-based from the off is a good sign that people are finally done with rtwp.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

Has anyone tried the Gloomhaven alpha/beta/whatever the gently caress it is? The reddit thread seems to indicate it's a bit janky and lacking the campaign, but if I could get with friends to play online it might be worth it.

I've enjoyed it a lot playing both solo and co-op. Minimal bugs, and the UI does take a bit to get used to, but once you understand the nuances it's fine. Just don't expect a story, it's pure tactics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Kingmaker having an official turn-based mode was added in after release, used to need a mod for it. Granted I'm pretty sure they actually hired the guy who made the mod to do this so that's pretty cool.

This and BG3 being turn-based from the off is a good sign that people are finally done with rtwp.

BG3 is turn based? I ignored it because I thought it was rtwp!!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Soonmot posted:

It's being made by Larian, the same people who make the Divinity series, including Original Sin 1 and 2. The combat system in those games is so good that I'm interested in BG3 even though I never got into the originals.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Similar style as Divinity OS 1 and 2.

There are a lot of problems with those games depending on who you ask but the turn based mechanics are not one of them. If anything they attached some writing and story to what is a near perfect combat system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

I think every story based RPG should probably be combat-free. If these games didn't have clunky combat systems and large dungeons that do nothing to further the plot, then those games would be much better.
That's how i feel about bethesda games basically

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
A few points on Kingmaker since this discussion is partly my fault:

1) Like I had said, the devs really struggled with encounter design. They basically made the game for players that had already gone through Baldur's Gate et al +/- Pathfinder tabletop games where bullshit instant death spells, annoying immunities, and trap character build options are the norm. They've significantly dialed it back from release, but it can still be overwhelming at times. Of course, as others have noted, CRPGs and the tabletop have had these same problems for decades now, including our beloved Baldur's Gate.

2) If you're going to play it, do what I did and get the Bag of Tricks mod like I said and just cheat past those areas. Put on one hit kills and invicibility for them, and then move on. It's a 100 plus hour game, don't let a single encounter end it for you.

3) Kingmaker's added turn-based mode is good. It started as a mod and then turned into an officially supported option as they upgraded their engine for their next Pathfinder game, Wrath of the Righteous. If you're the kind of person who hates real time with pause because you can't tell what's happening / too many things are happening at once, the turn-based mode is excellent for explaining things step by step.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just think games should do one thing well, instead of two things wallowing in mediocrity

Ugly In The Morning posted:

PoE and PoE2 were both built around the combat systems and were a lot of fun, Tyranny uses a lot of the spell system in a fun way that also ties into the setting and story, and just because Disco Elysium was pretty good does not mean every game needs to be Disco Elysium.

Yes, I understand you like thing, I do not like thing, not every game needs to be Disco Elysium and I honestly don't even think removing combat from these games would make it into Disco Elysium, a large part of what makes it Disco Elysium is the highly political aspect, the very intricate skill / thought cabinet, and the way your relationship with Kim changes. You could never make these games into Disco Elysium, that game rules and for a hundred different reasons. I just think there needs to be a resurgence of classic adventure games, which have died out. I like games with divergent plots, that reacts to decisions that you make.

Volte posted:

If the story of a game is the main draw then it should be very polished and compelling too, and there have been very few games where I would want to play them if there was nothing to do but talk to people and read lore. Disco Elysium is obviously one of them, but even it can be seen as a puzzle game in some respects. Sure, some games have bad combat, but "they should have better/interesting/unintrusive combat" is an equally valid remedy as "they should not have any combat". PoE2 would not interest me very much if it didn't have combat, and I personally enjoy the combat in it - doing away with per-day spells and camping supplies made it feel much more of a positive thing than a resource drain. The story is good, but it's not up my alley enough to suck me in and be the sole reason to play it. The ability to feel like my character is getting stronger, that my gear upgrades have an effect, that my new party member (or missing party member that just got kidnapped, or whatever) actually has an impact on how the game plays, etc., are all as important as the story itself in an RPG to me. Even in a game like Dragon Quest XI where the combat is so downright perfunctory that you can literally set it to Ultra-Fast speed, enable tactics, and let it play itself, I would still never opt to do away with it entirely because it still lets you feel the strength of your character grow over time, and that's a key aspect of an RPG to me. Even in DQXI you can lose a battle if you're underlevelled, which is something you lose if you were to just mod combat to be one-hit kills or whatever.

I think we largely agree, what you said is largely what I was trying to say, that they should either remove the combat, or make it much better, but in it's current iteration I found these games lacking, and I would have liked to see the time spent on building a combat system that was largely uninteresting to me, into refining the story. As for what you said about DQXI I completely disagree, but I also just wouldn't play that game which is a story with no consequence of choice. Without the combat that game would literally be nothing, and I think it's a little disingenuous to compare games that are clearly reactive and lauded on their lore and story as the main draw, to Dragon Quest which has some of the most boring story decisions I have ever seen in a game.

I can see what you enjoy in those games, number go up is a powerful motivator, and fighting larger and larger enemies going from weakling to warlord definitely draws many people to gaming. I just don't play games for the combat largely. I need a strong story to pull me in, or else I'm bored beyond belief. I'll also put up with a lot to enjoy a good story, but I think RTwP is the most boring unimaginative game play. I just think they should either make a good combat system that requires active play, or a turn based game. I think a lot of people forgive these games for their flaws because it's reminiscent of an age where that was the best in gaming. Baldurs Gate's gameplay doesn't really stand up to modern day standards, nor should it, it was made 22 years ago. Gaming has changed a lot since then. If you remove the combat from that game, you get a passing game with a story that, for the time, was revolutionary, but is now a little trite.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you get to the very very end of kingmaker and decide you don't want to deal with it don't feel bad, the design for that area is miserable, just cheat past it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

pentyne posted:

I think Temple of Elemental Evil had a possible outcome where a level 4-5 party ends up facing a Fire Giant, who would almost certainly party wipe in a few rounds unless extensively prepared for and also serious luck on the dice rolls.

TOEE has a lot of encounters like that early on, like the giant toads you encounter on the way to the first dungeon that can obliterate a L1 party if you don't know what you're doing, or the crossbow-wielding bandits not too long after that who can easily take down your sub d8 hit dice characters with a couple of lucky rolls. The problem is pen & paper 3rd/3.5 edition really needs a DM to gently fudge things in favour of the party a bit (especially regarding crit hits), and so lacking that, TOEE constantly puts you up against enemies with exactly the same (or better) abilities as you only in greater numbers and playing by the exact same rules mechanically. Not much you can do when a room full of fighter/barb mooks go beserk on you and get a load of random criticals.

It's a great game despite all that (personally I think it's the best realization of the 'feel' of pen & paper D&D ever made), but yeah, it's pretty loving unforgiving for the uninitiated.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lord Of Texas posted:

I've enjoyed it a lot playing both solo and co-op. Minimal bugs, and the UI does take a bit to get used to, but once you understand the nuances it's fine. Just don't expect a story, it's pure tactics.

That's cool. I realized I was agonizing over $17 rather than just buying it and got it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

There are a lot of problems with those games depending on who you ask but the turn based mechanics are not one of them. If anything they attached some writing and story to what is a near perfect combat system.

Yeah, I understand people insist on comparing D:OS2 and PoE2 because they're party-based isometric RPGs released in the same year, but I'd say they're polar opposites within that scope. D:OS2 is primarily a tactics game with puzzles and dungeons and discrete adventure scenarios while PoE2 is a more story driven game that's focused on exploring an elaborate setting while modernizing Infinity-Engine combat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm actually really enjoying kingmaker as I play though it for the first time but it's a near 1.1 recreation of a knockoff dnd setting and system that exists because people legitimately thought that late stage 3.5 dnd wasn't groggy enough and lashed out at the edition change. It does a terrible job of explaining anything to you if you aren't already familiar with its ruleset and there really needs to be a giant disclaimer about that.

Also the writing is hot rear end, but it's a pathfinder adventure path so that's to be expected lol. You play this game for the fights. Fortunately the implementation of turn based mode is really loving good unlike in deadfire, and I'm still baffled this was added post release.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

There's no sequence where your detective picks up a pie and has to throw it at a yeti so DE is clearly not an adventure game.

It does, however, do the classic adventure game thing of letting you gently caress yourself over without realizing it until you're unable to progress several hours later and have to restart.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It does, however, do the classic adventure game thing of letting you gently caress yourself over without realizing it until you're unable to progress several hours later and have to restart.

At least twice, once on night 2 if you don’t have enough money, and the end of the game has a must-pass specific check unless they patched that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

the only JRPG allowed to still have combat is FFXIII, the only CRPGs that can keep it are RTWP with automation features

If the combat isn’t good enough to exist as a spin-off game, it shouldn’t be in, and if it’s good enough to be a spin-off then it shouldn’t distract from the story and go exist there

basically, give me divinity XCOM and for the people who like it, more Etrian Odyssey and other SMT dungeon crawling poo poo, otherwise I’m skipping all that bullshit where possible

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

Anyone have thoughts on my best CRPG/DND-like option? I loved Disco Elysium but want something with combat. I want something with modern QoL stuff, I can't deal with games that maintained the annoying stuff from the 90s. I kinda missed the boat on that growing up. I was super excited during the genre's revival when the Kickstarter boom hit but I basically never touched my copy of Wasteland 2 and never did get around to grabbing Pillars of Eternity. I did eventually play like 30 hours of Divinity Original Sin until just abandoning it. I liked it, but the pace felt slow and then the inventory management frustrated me so I just... stopped.

I think my choices boil down to Pillars of Eternity 2 or Divinity Original Sin 2? I think I'd rather wait for Baldur's Gate 3.

You shouldn't sleep on Pillars 2, it's amazing and probably the best in the genre.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I bought A Way Out on the recent sale so girlfriend and I can gently caress around for a while on it. What a loving dread it is to discover it just bounces me out of Steam and into Origin. But Steam wants it linked to my Origin account, so I say, okay, do it, whatever. Then it says there's a problem, and Origin doesn't recognize my computer or some loving poo poo. Which is weird because I'm running the motherfucking launcher independent of this linking loving thing but okay, I guess I'll spend ten minutes solving your loving awful captcha, and Origin is like, oh okay this computer you've always used and are currently using seems to be new, so in order to register this computer you've always used and are currently using we need to reset your password. Why? Why? Why the gently caress is this necessary?

Okay, fine, loving reset my loving password. I enter my information. Another captcha. Holy poo poo these captchas, I know people bitch about captchas but I've never had a problem with them until now. Does Origin use its own awful captcha? It asks me to find buses. I found all the loving buses. Now it wants me to find crosswalks. I find all the loving crosswalks. It gives me TEN loving CHALLENGES IN A ROW just to have my password reset. It finally does it. But the e-mail never gets here. Jesus loving Christ. I wait, check spam filter, wait, the e-mail just never arrives. I'm still logged in on the loving thing. Why do I need to change my password? I say, alright, let's try again, reset my password. Now it tells me it thinks I'm a robot because I've attempted to do this too many times and I'm locked out.

Origin how is it you manage to do everything so bafflingly bad?

It doesn't tell me how long I'm locked out, just that I am, and it advises I check out their help page which just explains what a captcha is.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

credburn posted:

I bought A Way Out on the recent sale so girlfriend and I can gently caress around for a while on it. What a loving dread it is to discover it just bounces me out of Steam and into Origin. But Steam wants it linked to my Origin account, so I say, okay, do it, whatever. Then it says there's a problem, and Origin doesn't recognize my computer or some loving poo poo. Which is weird because I'm running the motherfucking launcher independent of this linking loving thing but okay, I guess I'll spend ten minutes solving your loving awful captcha, and Origin is like, oh okay this computer you've always used and are currently using seems to be new, so in order to register this computer you've always used and are currently using we need to reset your password. Why? Why? Why the gently caress is this necessary?

Okay, fine, loving reset my loving password. I enter my information. Another captcha. Holy poo poo these captchas, I know people bitch about captchas but I've never had a problem with them until now. Does Origin use its own awful captcha? It asks me to find buses. I found all the loving buses. Now it wants me to find crosswalks. I find all the loving crosswalks. It gives me TEN loving CHALLENGES IN A ROW just to have my password reset. It finally does it. But the e-mail never gets here. Jesus loving Christ. I wait, check spam filter, wait, the e-mail just never arrives. I'm still logged in on the loving thing. Why do I need to change my password? I say, alright, let's try again, reset my password. Now it tells me it thinks I'm a robot because I've attempted to do this too many times and I'm locked out.

Origin how is it you manage to do everything so bafflingly bad?

It doesn't tell me how long I'm locked out, just that I am, and it advises I check out their help page which just explains what a captcha is.

I find that if a game is on another store with it's own launcher, I just get it there if it's the same price because of the separate launcher fuckery.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At least twice, once on night 2 if you don’t have enough money, and the end of the game has a must-pass specific check unless they patched that.

They added a failstate ending for running out of money on the second day afaik. This is genuine stuck but you're probably not losing any progress because everybody goes to bed at the same time the pawnshop closes.

The bottleneck isn't great but it's fairly hard to actually get trapped there if you do sidequests and unlike a stuck adventure game you can just save scum through the rolls:shrug:.
( probably easier to get stuck getting into the building because there's only a few bonuses to those checks but seems like it would be difficult to get stuck on both checks)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 27, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonkeyforaHead posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thereforegames.demoncrawl This is the Google Play link, it doesn't seem to have an iOS version.

Just a warning, the android port has been quite unstable for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Real time with pause is good. I love the Pillars of Eternity games, and think the combat is fine is.

Turn based is also good. I also love the Divinity: Original Sin games, and think their combat is also fine as is.

There is room for both styles of CRPG combat to exist.

oh god i'm a crpg centrist

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think recent CRPGs implementing a turn-based system and not the other way around is at least a tacit acknowledgement that RTWP Is Lame and nobody really wants it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well, look at it this way: Any combat system with a pause button is RTWP when you really think about it!