Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
One of the writers remembered that scene in Little Nicky where he said "that didn't kill me it just hurt a lot" and wanted to do their own version of it.

Not letting Diana kill anyone really hurt this movie's action. That and not having a sword, instead she spends most of it being a knockoff Spidergirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

However that guy whose body you stole, gently caress him lol

Spoilers

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Hobo Clown posted:

I must protect these secret service guards because they are affected by an evil wish, they have no say in what is happening to them! However that guy whose body you stole, gently caress him lol

It's pretty hilarious the plot of multiple sci-fi and horror movies, having your body stolen, is just a thing the protagonist couple do and fight to maintain.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

And peeps complain about sfx and silly plotting :psyduck: like what do you want??

The story is bad, the sfx are bad, and the cgi is also bad! Why is everyone bagging on this movie!?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blood Boils posted:

Lol that's pretty dumb and ugly

And peeps complain about sfx and silly plotting :psyduck: like what do you want??

that moment was a climax for a fairly tight storyline that hinged on the character study of Superman vs others like Wonder Woman and the entire point was basically 'Lord thought he could play these little D&D paladin moral games with every hero in a fancy outfit and pulled that poo poo with a warrior princess and not a farm boy boy scout'. It's not my favorite Wonder Woman storyline but it's told in a fairly clear and satisfying way that explores her and her fellow heroes fairly well.

This movie was two and a half hours of plodding around with no real point that involves a lot lovely effects and leaves the characters basically exactly as they started but with a weird body jacking issue that never gets resolved

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you want a cool lady with a magic sword and her catgirl going through friends to enemies to lovers, jsut watch the new She-Ra.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

If you want a cool lady with a magic sword and her catgirl going through friends to enemies to lovers, jsut watch the new She-Ra.

Unironically this.

I've never understood how WB just doesn't get the brainwave of "hey, let's just make live action versions of our animated movies - sure, the people who like the animated movies will :rolleyes: but they're nerds and a minority of our target audience of rubes who just wanna see T&A, 'splosions, and wacky fight scenes."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I was hoping this movie would be weirder. Latino Trump summoning a border wall in Egypt is okay, but nowhere near enough to offset the more normal, less good parts of the movie.

A few people have already noted that there's a deep anti-populist streak to this movie. Lord's Trump-like figure is bad not because of malicious designs, but because he provides a direct line for people's desires to be realized within the White House. Their desires being realized upsets the natural order — just like the opening competition and Lord's stated desire for greatness — by giving status and power to people who don't deserve it. This upsetting of the natural order portends the total collapse of civilization. We can say more about this "desire," such that the movie presents it: people don't want more just because. Rather, it's a reaction to the bad circumstances in their life. Take Barbara as typical: she doesn't just want power but an escape from the position she's been stuck in by 80's patriarchy. Not just safety and being seen as valuable but autonomy, the ability to live on her own terms.

One of the things that stands out to me is what the approach the movie takes to this desiring, in Diana's final soliloquy: This desire is pathological. It's a form of lashing out in response to hurt or suffering. The problem with this is that by psychologizing the suffering, it takes away the badness of the suffering. So, for instance, Barbara's desire to be free of patriarchy and be valued on her own terms is presented as her being unable to cope with her suffering, instead of it being her wanting a dignity to which she is entitled. Consequently, instead of taking the perspective that patriarchy is bad because of the harms of misogyny, the problem is transformed into Barbara's moral weakness.

It's reminiscent of the moral warping from marvel spider man and black panther, where we can recognize the villain's motivations as intrinsically right, but are then sort of contrived to still be wrong within the moral universe of the movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'll never watch this movie in a million years, so I'll just ask here: at any point does Gal Gadot wear a headband and ankle warmers?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I guess Diana is a member of the warrior caste from a Hellenistic society, so her having a “I take what I loving want” attitude towards sex isn’t that crazy, but the whole body swap thing is still weirdly written and uhh, kinda problematic.

It’s funny to imagine the evil stone thinking that bringing Steve back in another man’s body would present heartrending moral dilemmas to them as they balance being able to be together with effectively killing a random person, and neither of them give a single poo poo about it.

Just imaging the evil god being like :stare:”seriously? Not even gonna think about the implications for like a minute? Wow, you people are hosed up.”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

porfiria posted:

I'll never watch this movie in a million years, so I'll just ask here: at any point does Gal Gadot wear a headband and ankle warmers?

No. There's a montage of Chris Pine trying on goofy 80's outfits and Kristen Wiig wears a weird GLOW-like workout leotard but Gal herself dresses pretty normal throughout.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

porfiria posted:

no the 80’s backdrop is almost entirely useless. There’s a scene where wiig suspects she might be getting strong, and dons a full on 80s workout getup to go a gym, and does nothing else but lift increasingly heavy amounts of weights in what is a totally charmless depiction of a person understanding their new powers. It’s also used for a gag scene with Chris pine, and to stuff other characters in whacky clothing, but doesn’t contribute anything else.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's no reason for this to be set in the 80s. Other than the beginning, they don't even lean into the 80s stuff at all and it might as well have been set in modern time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

no the 80’s backdrop is almost entirely useless. There’s a scene where wiig suspects she might be getting strong, and dons a full on 80s workout getup to go a gym, and does nothing else but lift increasingly heavy amounts of weights in what is a totally charmless depiction of a person understanding their new powers. It’s also used for a gag scene with Chris pine, and to stuff other characters in whacky clothing, but doesn’t contribute anything else.

Codependent Poster posted:

There's no reason for this to be set in the 80s. Other than the beginning, they don't even lean into the 80s stuff at all and it might as well have been set in modern time.

The Cold War stuff is a good reason.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 27, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Here’s a fun take.

https://twitter.com/briannawu/status/1342962911728324608?s=21

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Already deleted and only alluded to... what was said?
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1342957780660064256?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Fish posted:

just a really generic 'actually I liked all the movies men hated like ghostbusters and rise of star wars and...that newest terminator movie....so I bet I'll like Wonder Woman' Kinda shocked she deleted it, it's nowhere near the dumbest thing she said just to get easy anger-RTs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just a reminder that while people are getting all butthurt over the "shooting a rocket at kids" scene that wasn't even in the movie nor was the rocket aimed at the kids, in the original cut she supposedly forcibly disarmed the "insurgents/terrorists" shooting their rifles (the Muslim guy who wished they had nuclear weapons): https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/e7jlwx/wonder_woman_84_entire_movie_synopsis/

It seems like the only thing that got cut were the scenes where she forcibly disarmed the brown people and dismantled a *single* nuke in-flight. So I guess in this world ICBMs work like they do in Ant-Man, flying on super-depressed trajectories about as fast as an airliner.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
So Wonder Woman contribution to WW2 was liberating the camps? That's what the pictures at her home showed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1342991922856558592?s=19

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hans please.

:negative:

Now explain why you used the music from Sunshine for Diana's first flight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Space Fish posted:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol does she just like every movie or something?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sportsgenius86 posted:

folks, movies are fun!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember way back in the day that xmen released the danger room scene where Wolverine takes down the Sentinel and we were all excited and when Colossus threw him he was moving like 3 feet a second and you could see the wire operators struggling in the background?

That's what the white house fight scene looked like.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Here's a "Super Reviewer" from Rotten Tomatoes. See if you can spot the :jerkbag: in the first line:

"It's a stronger film than its predecessor and compared to recent superhero films it's one of the more engaging (which unfortunately isn't saying much). What works are Kristen Wiig's performance and character development (the real highlight of the film), the combination of setting and aesthetics (1980s DC was done well and looked good), and an impressive final battle. What doesn't work are the elements that plague all superhero films: thin writing, cliches, an uneven tone, and abundant cheesiness (it's hard to watch without rolling your eyes at least twice). What's fascinating is that the least interesting part of the film is the heroine - the titular character; Wiig's more grisly, grounded, cynical character, however, makes the film worth experiencing."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gotta respect hans zimmer's grift

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I can’t get over that this movie was in the can for a year and they had Hans loving Zimmer on the payroll and they used a temp track from a 12 year old movie for the climax.

This happens a sometimes.

You remember spider-man2 when they used Hellraiser Hellbound’s theme? That caused issues with Elfman and he and Raimi fell out after.

Sometimes filmmakers fall in love with the temp tracks and find a way to do similar or just use it with permission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao I didn’t even see the tweet above.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Okay so I’m watching this movie now and from what I understand Diana is completely aware that her boyfriend is in somebody else’s body but sleeps with him anyways.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay so I’m watching this movie now and from what I understand Diana is completely aware that her boyfriend is in somebody else’s body but sleeps with him anyways.
Yes. I don’t know why they did it that way either; it was never explained. I think it would have been neat if there was a scene where Diana is walking along the banks of the Potomac River in the evening and she sees a body along lying partially in the water. She rushes over and it’s Steve in his flight suit. He wakes up and the last thing he remembers is pulling the trigger on the plane. It would get rid of a lot of problems and be a tie in to the first movie.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Presumably lots of the billions of wishes made in the finale were for dead loved ones to return... did all of those loved ones inhabit the bodies of already existing people?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

I’m convinced this scene was reshot or a remnant of an earlier draft. Diana pleads with Barbara to give up her powers willingly. When she refuses, Diana allows the electrical cables to kill hertemporarily incapacitate her with no lasting effect.

It’s like somebody realized that you can’t kill Barbara and let Lord go.

I’m more annoyed that they wrote her out at all. What the hell is with Hollywood writers and writing villains out of franchises entirely every single time? Half the fun of superheroes is that there’s like fifty villains running around at any given time that can be pulled from and expanded on at any moment. Just let Barbara slink off and have to deal with the consequences of her wishes and maybe bring her back later to be on the Legion of Doom or something idk. How is WB so bad at this!?

Also making Trump metaphor Maxwell Lord relatable by having him do everything for his son is some real lib brained poo poo. Does anybody here really believe that Trump would give up his infinite power to save Don Jr? Really!?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Presumably lots of the billions of wishes made in the finale were for dead loved ones to return... did all of those loved ones inhabit the bodies of already existing people?

Also I promise that at least 20% of the population refused to withdraw their wish. Society is hosed and nothing will ever be normal again.

Also very annoyed that Maxwell didn’t go all arc of the covenant and turn into red sludge when all the wishes were renounced. The movie set that up perfectly and just refused to follow through with it. Shameful.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Augus posted:

gotta respect hans zimmer's grift

Rumor is he does very little of writing of his music. Mostly just has his interns do it, and then claims it’s his own. Has been doing that for a long rear end time.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I thought more men hated The Last Jedi? This isn’t even correct about the stupid internet discourse it’s referencing!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

readingatwork posted:

Also I promise that at least 20% of the population refused to withdraw their wish. Society is hosed and nothing will ever be normal again.

Also very annoyed that Maxwell didn’t go all arc of the covenant and turn into red sludge when all the wishes were renounced. The movie set that up perfectly and just refused to follow through with it. Shameful.

I retract my wish, I want daddy to hit mommy again.

This movie really would have worked better if it was a small story. The larger scope really makes it fall in on itself.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

oneforthevine posted:

I thought more men hated The Last Jedi? This isn’t even correct about the stupid internet discourse it’s referencing!

I like her takes on the podcast rocket about a great many things. But her claiming stuff like this and that Cyberpunk is the greatest story game since Mass Effect is... eye rolls.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 27, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

Also making Trump metaphor Maxwell Lord relatable by having him do everything for his son is some real lib brained poo poo. Does anybody here really believe that Trump would give up his infinite power to save Don Jr? Really!?

Casting a Chilean-American actor as the Trump analogue is also... a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I retract my wish, I want daddy to hit mommy again.

This movie really would have worked better if it was a small story. The larger scope really makes it fall in on itself.

Again, Max Lord's actual ability is mind control. That would have been a much better plot. "Diana vs. the World," with Lord using the Star Wars MacGuffin like Cerebro to take over whomever he wanted. Getting Reagan to send the Army after Diana (or something like that), and ultimately realizing he's endangered his son, and Diana promises to fix everything if 1) he stops mind controlling everyone, and 2) wipes everyone's minds of memories of her so she can disappear into history again.