Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Actually they’re just meaningless images designed to do nothing more than trigger the pleasure centers of your lizard brain. Seems to have worked.

https://twitter.com/briannawu/status/1342962911728324608?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Lmfao

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I enjoyed parts of ROS but as a whole it’s rear end. And story wise? It’s mega mega rear end. But there is some fun to be had at times.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hope every porg dies

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cuntman.net posted:

i hope every porg dies

Can't wait for the next Battlefront game to have a Hunted game mode where you get to hunt down porgs, jawas, ewoks, gungans, Sheev Palpatine clones, and the many, many, many mirror Reys

Also a game mode where Wide Load Ren stalks you through the corridors of a First Order ship

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cartoon Man posted:

I enjoyed parts of ROS but as a whole it’s rear end. And story wise? It’s mega mega rear end. But there is some fun to be had at times.

It had Y-Wings, which puts it above every other film in the sequel trilogy, but sadly not even they could save the film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

cuntman.net posted:

i hope every porg dies

George Lucas has good news for you!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cartoon Man posted:

All my favorite TROS parts are with Rey and Ben: the Force Skype Duel, the Death Star wreckage fight, Ben coming back to the light, Ben coming to help Rey, Ben's good guy sweater, Ben's good guy Kylo Ren theme, the teleporting saber hilts, and when Rey and Ben raise their sabers together are all cool and good. The rest of the movie is trash.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Am I wrong for liking the evil C3PO scene? I thought it was funny as hell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Good things in The Rise of Skywalker....

The idea that Snoke is a clone, genetically modified by Palpatine to have a bonkers midichlorian count as part of his immortality experiments, is a better origin for him than I dared hope for. He, not Sheev, should've been the villain that came back from the dead by hopping between bodies. The Sith managing to match the Jedi in transcending death by such abominable means is a natural way to raise the stakes, but instead of happening "somehow" it'd all follow from established logic.

I also think it's a suitable direction for Kylo Ren to repent after running out of people from his past to murder only to discover that he still cares about people from his present, that he failed in his earnest attempt to extinguish his compassion. To improve it, let him have a heart-to-heart with Hayden Christiansen as Anakin's ghost.

The gag of C-3PO solemnly sacrificing his memories only to be restored from a backup moments later is hilarious. That's a keeper. It is fitting that C-3PO gets no respect.

Rey using force lightning to destroy a spaceship and fearing that she accidentally blew up Chewbacca was dramatic and could've been a nice turning point in the arc of her becoming more confident in her extraordinary power.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

George Lucas has good news for you!

and they say lucas doesnt give the fans what they want

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Every Porg dies. Not every Porg truly lives.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The psychic two-location duel was good. And I liked the lightsaber flashlight gag with poe. Just realized that the former is building on a rian idea and the other is Spaceballs/TLJ style humor

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The tweet has been deleted

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s why Star Wars ain’t going anywhere, it’s number five on this list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the only good thing in ros is palpatine in the wierd machine claw thing that really nailed the idea of him as a skeletal lich. he raises an army of the dead from the ground...and then it goes loving nowhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cartoon Man posted:

Am I wrong for liking the evil C3PO scene? I thought it was funny as hell.

Creepio is canon now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ROS is the second best film in the new trilogy, and the 5th best Star Wars movie (of the main films).

Unlike the TLJ, it has a clear message that it sticks to multiple times, as well as having several well thought out and new fights relating to said themes, and in this 5 page essay, I will explain why it succeeds where TLJ pretending to be the cool college indie kid falls flat on its face in terms of both message and execution, whereas ROS is a tone poem that perfectly distills what the entire saga is about...

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Jewmanji posted:

The tweet has been deleted

It was a list of bad movies (eg. Terminator Dark Fate) that she said were actually fantastic because chuds didn't like them

Extremely epic and not fail

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

ROS is the second best film in the new trilogy, and the 5th best Star Wars movie (of the main films).

Unlike the TLJ, it has a clear message that it sticks to multiple times, as well as having several well thought out and new fights relating to said themes, and in this 5 page essay, I will explain why it succeeds where TLJ pretending to be the cool college indie kid falls flat on its face in terms of both message and execution, whereas ROS is a tone poem that perfectly distills what the entire saga is about...

You undermine your point when you misuse really precise concepts like “tone poem”.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah actually, giving C3P0 a moment was one of the things I actually liked from Revenge of the Sith. Especially since I barely even remember his presence in any of the other sequel films.

I really liked his 'One last look at my friends' line, though like everything else it would have hit harder had he actually been in the other films, and they immediately invalidated his whole memory wipe thing 30 seconds later.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tony daniels paid his dues (and jealously guarded) doing threepio in every single star wars product for almost half a century

Letting him play the titular role in ROS was a sort of lucasfilm lifetime achievement award

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tony smart as hell for protecting that easy lifestyle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Rise of Skywalker definitely has stuff in it I like. The problem's really structural in that they feel compelled to do so much storywise that it can never take a breath.

Still the best part is when C-3P0 is newly amnesiac and is introducing himself to everyone again, leading to my favorite exchange:

"Greetings, I am C-3P0"
"I Babu Frik."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I would've preferred if threepio were reset to when Bail Organa had his memory originally wiped.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Another thing I like about ROS is that vaders melty mask comes back but it gets unceremoniously force yeeted to a planet right before it gets blown up

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Another thing I like about ROS is that vaders melty mask comes back but it gets unceremoniously force yeeted to a planet right before it gets blown up

If it’s anything like Vader’s right glove, it should be just fine.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

bij posted:

Republic Naval Intelligence HQ embodies the spirit of democratic civilian control of the military and if you think otherwise you sound suspiciously like a seppo.

"Naval" intelligence???

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

My favorite part of ROS is how it so effectively waters down two indelible images from the original trilogy - the destruction of a planet, and the raising of an X-Wing from under a body of water - to the point of cheap, overplayed sentimentality.

Like, Yoda pulling the X-Wing out of the water in Empire is one of the more famous sequences in the last fifty years of film history. And the whole thing is done over one single scene; it sinks, Luke tries to lift it, fails, Yoda explains how the Force is the connection between all things, with one of the great great lines, “luminous beings we are! Not this crude matter,” Luke expresses dismay and cynicism and states he asks the impossible, and then Yoda just... does it. And when Luke expresses disbelief that Yoda did it without even moving an inch, Yoda explains thusly: “and that is why you fail.” It operates as this whole metaphor for restricting your own imagination and belief in yourself and control over your surroundings, and how you can overcome what you think is the most fundamentally limited aspects of yourself with enough application and self-belief. And it’s entirely self-contained, but is of a piece with the rest of the picture, elucidating this particular flaw that Luke fails to get over, which gets him nearly killed and brings him one step closer to the Dark Side and resembling what he, in the end, discovers is his father. His impetuous nature gets the best of him; and it’s all right there in that one scene. It’s the core of the movie, really.

In ROS Luke just yanks it out of the water after we learn it’s down there at the beginning of the previous movie, no larger metaphor is made of it, it’s just “hey we’re passing on this token of Star Wars to the current lead, having shifted the previous one onto the supporting dudes.” It’s tacked onto a scene where Luke also hands her a token that means nothing because we literally find out what the gently caress it is after she’s given it with Leia’s saber. After we find out that Rey is a Palpatine. It’s just “oh and this too”.

The destruction of a planet is presented so indifferently, like “oh look they made a planet destroying laser that sits on the underbelly of a Star Destroyer. Ooo.” It’s shoved between Kylo talking to Han and Poe and Lando showing up and being like “FRIENDSHIP IS THE ANSWER!”; it also coming after we saw them blow up like five planets at once is, uh, a choice.

Whoever a few posts up said “Disney made sure these movies weren’t about anything” was goddamn right. ROS just feels like JJ going “okay, I’m here, now here’s a list of like fifty things I also wanted to do with a Star Wars movie that I didn’t get to do with my first one”, handed it to Terrio, and said “figure out how to get them all in, I’m gonna start animatics for like these twelve specifically while you write them”. Real checklist filmmaking.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Tony daniels paid his dues (and jealously guarded) doing threepio in every single star wars product for almost half a century

Letting him play the titular role in ROS was a sort of lucasfilm lifetime achievement award

C-3PO is the Skywalker that rises? C-3PO Skywalker?? :aaaaa:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gargamel Gibson posted:

C-3PO is the Skywalker that rises? C-3PO Skywalker?? :aaaaa:

He's the firstmade creation of Anakin, the true heir to the Skywalker name.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Even if he wasn't, he's the only one left by the end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been a single bit of Star Wars media since its inception where 3PO wasn't played by Tony Daniels?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's the firstmade creation of Anakin, the true heir to the Skywalker name.

The Ewoks were right

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been a single bit of Star Wars media since its inception where 3PO wasn't played by Tony Daniels?

Maybe a handful of video games but besides that, all Daniels to my knowledge.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Threepio should have been interrogated by one of the bad guys at some point, and produced no useful information. Imagine Hux or Kylo or any of the suits doing this. Threepio is just a head on a table and he's trying to be helpful and informative but he just isn't. They try jedi mind tricks but it doesn't work. It almost writes itself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FunkyAl posted:

Threepio should have been interrogated by one of the bad guys at some point, and produced no useful information. Imagine Hux or Kylo or any of the suits doing this. Threepio is just a head on a table and he's trying to be helpful and informative but he just isn't. They try jedi mind tricks but it doesn't work. It almost writes itself.

And then the heroes rescue him as an afterthought to their real, plot-relevant mission.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

LionArcher posted:

I've seen some some bad takes in my life

but oh man...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Everything about Ben Solo dying and coming back to life and being redeemed about six or seven times while remaining almost completely silent is fuckin wild. That, and Rey doing the most bizarre poo poo.

It’s a shame that everything involving literally every single other character is straight trash, but Ben v Sheev (feat. Evil Rey Palpatine) does redeem the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ben Solo's last word in the Palpatine Saga is "Ow."