Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Hopper posted:

I get you, but rest assured that is not exclusive to Lego. People are greedy as hell.
Like anytime you put something up with a set price, you inevitably get countless messages saying they will pay half that and expecting you to be grateful.

Selling anything to strangers is a horrible experience.

Word to that. I've been selling stuff for years and years now. People are dicks.

Dogen posted:

Yeah sorry greedy internet dude unilateral mistake of price, this was like week 2 of 1L contracts

I do not know what week 2 of 1L contracts means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Earth posted:

Word to that. I've been selling stuff for years and years now. People are dicks.

I do not know what week 2 of 1L contracts means.

Second week of Contract Law in the first year of law school. "Contracts 101" essentially.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CommanderApaul posted:

Second week of Contract Law in the first year of law school. "Contracts 101" essentially.

Yeah, sorry. Right up there with hairy hands and Hadley v Baxendale. Just saying that buyer is very in the wrong.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Just sent you an order for the Council of Elrond, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blot out the usernames and post the conversations to r/choosingbeggars, profit off the free internet fun votes. It might make you feel better.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kensei posted:

Sure! DM me and I will pay for postage.

I got this from tomapot, and I forgot to post. Thanks friend!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I mean dude probably could've handled it better, but on the other hand, if I bought something and had a confirmed order, then got a message that said "oops I hosed up and priced things wrong", I'd be a little salty too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

esperantinc posted:

I mean dude probably could've handled it better, but on the other hand, if I bought something and had a confirmed order, then got a message that said "oops I hosed up and priced things wrong", I'd be a little salty too.

A little salty maybe, but I wouldn't bitch about it and say I'm complaining to the admins. I've made all kinds of orders that I knew had to be a price error and had the orders cancelled and didn't get salty about it. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. But no one is obliged to honor a pricing error.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Next time just say it turns out you don’t actually have it in stock. I order individual pieces all the time and in the time I check out from when the order is shipped there’s often a piece or two that the seller didn’t actually end up having. It’s an honest mistake, at least on my end I never know the difference.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im with the buyer on this one, its not his fault the prices were wrong.
Then again, Bricklink sides with the sellers so im not really sure what the issue is for the OP here.

I gotta say i don't have much sympathy for sellers on BL. I’ve experienced several times when doing large purchases that some items the seller had at a good price (but not obviously wrong price) is «sorry wrong price» and i get my order jacked up by like €30-40.
My options are to take those items out of the order and order them elsewhere for a larger total cost (due to shipping costs and import fees being a large chunk of the cost of an order), or accept the price change. The sellers know this, jacking up the price is literally a tactic used by several sellers on BL.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 27, 2020

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

xzzy posted:

Blot out the usernames and post the conversations to r/choosingbeggars, profit off the free internet fun votes. It might make you feel better.

I'll pass on doing that. I honestly think this person might have some kind of mental shortcoming. Kind of like a sovereign citizen who thinks if they say the words just like a lawyer it's an incantation that will make me do what they want. They sent another message asking me to please hold onto the items they purchased until it's resolved. Unfortunate for them the order is already canceled, he was banned from my store, items re-listed, and some are already sold.

esperantinc posted:

Cojawfee posted:

A little salty maybe, but I wouldn't bitch about it and say I'm complaining to the admins. I've made all kinds of orders that I knew had to be a price error and had the orders cancelled and didn't get salty about it. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. But no one is obliged to honor a pricing error.

I don't think you understand, esperantinc, every order is a confirmed order. If you see it and can buy it then it's "confirmed." I made a mistake and owned up to it. This person had a fit about it and I suddenly remembered why I strongly dislike selling Lego on BL. Thankfully I don't have to fulfill any order to anyone because I'm not a corporation who's whole job is being a merchant.

Here's what needs to be understood, some "inside baseball" if you will. Yesterday I opened up my shop for the first time in eight months. I have the lowest prices in the U.S. because I want to get rid of stuff and that brings all kinds of people out of the woodwork. In those 20 or so hours of being open I have received about ten emails asking me to break my rules. "Can you ship to Russia?" No. I've received at least three email variations of: "Can you lower your minimum buy just for me?" No. "Can you lower your price on X?" Again, I already have the lowest prices in the U.S., so, no. "Can you provide a shipping quote?" No (stated right in the terms). Etc. If you are thinking about becoming a flipper which I was for several years you need to be aware of this experience. I'm was only speaking about the one guy who caught my mistake in pricing, because I wanted to vent about it, but it's not just him.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Next time just say it turns out you don’t actually have it in stock. I order individual pieces all the time and in the time I check out from when the order is shipped there’s often a piece or two that the seller didn’t actually end up having. It’s an honest mistake, at least on my end I never know the difference.

You are correct. Honesty was my downfall in this interaction.

Ineptitude posted:

Im with the buyer on this one, its not his fault the prices were wrong.
Then again, Bricklink sides with the sellers so im not really sure what the issue is for the OP here.

I gotta say i don't have much sympathy for sellers on BL. I’ve experienced several times when doing large purchases that some items the seller had at a good price (but not obviously wrong price) is «sorry wrong price» and i get my order jacked up by like €30-40.
My options are to take those items out of the order and order them elsewhere for a larger total cost (due to shipping costs and import fees being a large chunk of the cost of an order), or accept the price change. The sellers know this, jacking up the price is literally a tactic used by several sellers on BL.

You are correct, it's not his fault the prices were wrong. I owned up to that. So you think I should take a $60 bath because I screwed up? Thankfully it doesn't work that way. You should try selling on BrickLink and you might find yourself having a lot more sympathy for the sellers. The experiences I offered above are the tip of the iceberg.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In a more interesting topic, reviews of the Chinese Spring Lantern Festival set are out and it looks awesome.

https://www.newelementary.com/2020/12/lego-2021-review-80107-spring-lantern-chinese-festival.html?m=1

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/12/25/lego-chinese-festival-80107-spring-lantern-festival-review/

I hope it has pretty good availability. The staggered release date is interesting.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Please never post about your bricklink store again. It feels like advertising and that belongs in smart.

Sorry you had a weird time of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The $50 minimum spend put me off.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Anias posted:

Please never post about your bricklink store again. It feels like advertising and that belongs in smart.

Talking about the selling side of the Lego hobby is advertising? News to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Earth posted:

Sorry, only mocs and blurry instagram posts in here!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anias posted:

Pfft, people often sell poo poo in here and some folks specifically asked for a link to the store as they didn't have DMs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Earth posted:

Counterpoint, please continue posting about your experience because it's interesting and is definitely not advertising.

I will say though, not offering shipping estimates seems strange to me. Is that common on BL? Because I definitely would not buy something if someone could turn around and say shipping is gonna be 50 bucks after the fact.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In my limited experience buying on bricklink in the EU most sellers have some kind of chart that estimates shipping cost based on weight of the package and domestic/EU/rest of the world shipping. I wouldn't buy a set from there if I didn't have some idea how much I would be paying in the end.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Counterpoint, please continue posting about your experience because it's interesting and is definitely not advertising.

I will say though, not offering shipping estimates seems strange to me. Is that common on BL? Because I definitely would not buy something if someone could turn around and say shipping is gonna be 50 bucks after the fact.

I will gladly keep posting about the flipping aspect. It was a huge part of my Lego experience and has helped me be able to afford the sets I've wanted.

Regarding the shipping estimates it isn't exactly common on BL. A lot of the professional sellers have a process set up that it auto fills shipping costs. For someone who isn't a professional seller to get a shipping estimate you basically need to package the order, fill out the online form (I use PayPal), and then send the estimate to the person requesting. It was about the tenth package that I was unboxing because the person ghosted after requesting the estimate that I started thinking about how I was going to deal with that. Then about five more packages of people not following through with ordering I just made it a rule that I don't provide estimates.

Just now I had a Canada order and shipping ended up being $65. Do you think if I went through the trouble of putting that estimate together the person would have continued with the order? Shipping is expensive and a lot of people think shipping should be free, thanks Amazon. Of course I've had the inverse of that where a person in Canada wanted an item I had and was willing to pay top shipping dollar to get it asap. He wanted it for some Brick Show event that was in a week and paid like $100 for express. That is far from the normal experience. The normal experience led me to having that rule in place.

EDIT: I want to add that the rule does definitely turn some people off. However, I have never had a problem getting sales completed with that rule in place. I suspect having the cheapest listed items motivates people to take the chance. Also, I'm never dishonest with shipping and I suspect that helps.

Earth fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 27, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, no one actually wants shipping “estimates.” They want shipping cost. Estimating $10 and then charging $15 just leads to pissed off buyers even if everyone is acting in good faith.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

xzzy posted:

Sorry, only posts about VIP points and complaints about shipping times in here!

crazy eyes mustafa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 27, 2020

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Also US to Canada parcel shipping has become criminally expensive in recent years. Free trade my rear end, it’s one of the hardest most inflexible economic borders in the world.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I was reading an article yesterday with a few 20-30 year postal workers saying this is the worst backlog they've ever had. I can only wonder how long it will take to work through it all while the normal influx of packages due to covid continues. I thought I was clever choosing an in-state bricklink seller but it's been at least three weeks now. I kind of enjoy the anticipation though, just because the cold weather would otherwise make me pretty unmotivated to go check the mailbox.

Got that harry potter train for xmas. Didn't realize it wasn't designed without power functions in mind, which... why? Do they not like selling expensive upgrades? Wasn't hard to google guides on multiple ways to fit them in though. Definitely my favorite engine I have so far.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Got an excellent Christmas haul with the AT-AT and NES. I've just put together the AT-AT, can anyone else with the set confirm that the speeder bike vanes are incredibly flimsily attached and fall out at the slightest breeze? Or did I gently caress up somehow attaching them? It's part 32828 going in to the end of part 2714b. There's the tiniest bit of grip there but it's barely enough and they fall off every time I try to store or remove the speeder from the back of the AT-AT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Family gifted me the NES too, and the only thing I hate about it is the 6x6 "tiles" they put on the top. Anyone know of any techniques to refinish those pieces to sort of match normal tiles to get rid of the injection pip and create some gloss? There's obviously lots of approaches one could take but if there's one best way it'd save me buying a bunch of samples on bricklink and experimenting.

Also the two 1x2 plates. I get it's to prevent the door opening too far, but c'mon. If you're gonna go snot, make it full snot. So I dug a couple 1x2 tiles out of my collection and swapped them.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 27, 2020

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Earth posted:

You are correct, it's not his fault the prices were wrong. I owned up to that. So you think I should take a $60 bath because I screwed up?

Uhh yeah? You made a mistake, those usually have consequences in life. You seem awful salty for a problem you created for yourself.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

ChesterJT posted:

Uhh yeah? You made a mistake, those usually have consequences in life. You seem awful salty for a problem you created for yourself.

Pricing errors are not exactly a new thing to commerce - nobody is ever held liable for not honoring a pricing mistake.

I've ordered stuff from literal corporations at "too good to be true" pricing and they simply cancel the order without explanation

Fair enough for the buyer to be pissed and I guess if they don't understand the seller's perspective and want to file complaints about it... fine.

OP is very within their rights to not honor a pricing mistake. They certainly COULD if they were feeling nice about it and it wouldn't be financially irresponsible on their end but that's a personal choice

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

Lol imagine actually believing this.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

The buyer spotted

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

davebo posted:

I was reading an article yesterday with a few 20-30 year postal workers saying this is the worst backlog they've ever had. I can only wonder how long it will take to work through it all while the normal influx of packages due to covid continues. I thought I was clever choosing an in-state bricklink seller but it's been at least three weeks now. I kind of enjoy the anticipation though, just because the cold weather would otherwise make me pretty unmotivated to go check the mailbox.

Got that harry potter train for xmas. Didn't realize it wasn't designed without power functions in mind, which... why? Do they not like selling expensive upgrades? Wasn't hard to google guides on multiple ways to fit them in though. Definitely my favorite engine I have so far.
I sold thousands of dollars worth of merchandise since late november. 80% of it still has not reached the destinations, including many christmas presents, and a lot of my customers are losing their minds. The tracking info on most of them hasn't updated in weeks so many think their stuff got lost and want a refund/open a claim, others are like "oh yeah I saw news articles about how hosed usps is right now, don't worry about it". luckily many of the things I shipped the first week of december just updated on christmas eve with their first tracking info(as in, the tracking numbers say "label created" followed by them being halfway across the country with the next tracking update, not even an update mentioning they were accepted by the post office in the first place) so that has helped alleviate some fears.

ChesterJT posted:

you are Let Me Speak To Your Manager made flesh

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Tbh there was a way out but at this point I think you gotta follow through (or take the non shipping seller hit that will necessitate basically starting a new store). Should have said whoops, don’t have it, deduct the incorrect cost of those missing pieces from the rest of their cart (or offer a store credit greater than the listed cost of the pieces), relist at correct price after feedback is left and the transaction is filed. Any dispute at this point will be resolved in the buyers favor because of the information they’ve already received about the actual status of the pieces

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's probably too much effort to keep scanning every bit of mail so everything just gets sent along without being scanned until it absolutely has to to be sent where it needs to go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cojawfee posted:

It's probably too much effort to keep scanning every bit of mail so everything just gets sent along without being scanned until it absolutely has to to be sent where it needs to go.
yes. every single package I shipped within a week period got sent to kansas to some major distribution hub before being scanned the first time. they presumably sat in a retain truck for a while until then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Tbh there was a way out but at this point I think you gotta follow through (or take the non shipping seller hit that will necessitate basically starting a new store). Should have said whoops, don’t have it, deduct the incorrect cost of those missing pieces from the rest of their cart (or offer a store credit greater than the listed cost of the pieces), relist at correct price after feedback is left and the transaction is filed. Any dispute at this point will be resolved in the buyers favor because of the information they’ve already received about the actual status of the pieces

Bricklink is heavily in favor of the sellers. Maybe that will change with Lego owning it now, but it has traditionally been the opposite of ebay, where you can buy a stradivarius violin, claim it's a fake, and then ebay gives you your money back and then tells you to smash the poo poo out of the violin.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

davebo posted:

Got that harry potter train for xmas. Didn't realize it wasn't designed without power functions in mind, which... why? Do they not like selling expensive upgrades?

If I had to guess, I’d say that Warner/Rowling probably sold “motorized train set” toy rights to someone else already. LEGO has bumped into this previously (though I can’t recall the exact circumstances offhand; I want to say it had something to do with action figures vs. minifigs though).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

If I had to guess, I’d say that Warner/Rowling probably sold “motorized train set” toy rights to someone else already. LEGO has bumped into this previously (though I can’t recall the exact circumstances offhand; I want to say it had something to do with action figures vs. minifigs though).

Yes its Star Wars where some other company (Hasbro?!) has the rights to action figures and so LEGO could not sell blind bag Star Wars figures in the same way it does with Harry Potter or the Simpsons. Its also why the battle packs always have some sort of build associated with them and its not just £20 for 6 Stormtroopers or something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Bricklink is heavily in favor of the sellers. Maybe that will change with Lego owning it now, but it has traditionally been the opposite of ebay, where you can buy a stradivarius violin, claim it's a fake, and then ebay gives you your money back and then tells you to smash the poo poo out of the violin.

Yep. Ebay is so much better than BL for the buyer. I've talked to BL admins about their seller first attitude and their idiotic take is that without sellers, there is nothing to sell. Uh yeah, and if the buyers are unhappy, nothing gets sold. Ebay figured out a while back that scummy sellers is bad for everyone. So they almost always side with the buyers. It puts the honus on the seller to be honest about everything up front and not try to scam people. It works out great.

But BL? It's just a mess where every seller can do things their own way. Just like having 50 individual states doing things their own way screws everything up for everyone, including themselves.

BL is great in that everything is there. Or 99.99999% of stuff. But it really needs some policy shifts to become more buyer friendly. Instant payment was a good one. That should be instituted across the board for in country purchases. Someone should have to approve a storefront before it goes live Too many confusing sets of terms on various storefronts. Also the "fees" that you sometimes see need to be purged. It's fun to order something and see 2 extra fees for a dollar or two each that are just that, fees. It's like paying for cable.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep. Ebay is so much better than BL for the buyer. I've talked to BL admins about their seller first attitude and their idiotic take is that without sellers, there is nothing to sell. Uh yeah, and if the buyers are unhappy, nothing gets sold. Ebay figured out a while back that scummy sellers is bad for everyone. So they almost always side with the buyers. It puts the honus on the seller to be honest about everything up front and not try to scam people. It works out great.

But BL? It's just a mess where every seller can do things their own way. Just like having 50 individual states doing things their own way screws everything up for everyone, including themselves.

BL is great in that everything is there. Or 99.99999% of stuff. But it really needs some policy shifts to become more buyer friendly. Instant payment was a good one. That should be instituted across the board for in country purchases. Someone should have to approve a storefront before it goes live Too many confusing sets of terms on various storefronts. Also the "fees" that you sometimes see need to be purged. It's fun to order something and see 2 extra fees for a dollar or two each that are just that, fees. It's like paying for cable.

Ebay is designed to be able to sell something super quickly. Ebay's ease of use is what attracts people. BL's is that you can buy down to the piece level which is NOT simple because there are literally thousands upon thousands of pieces and variants. The buyers do not make BL, the sellers do by the herculean effort they put into selling. They are different business models that value the roles differently.

As a person who sells on both eBay and BrickLink I can tell you that they fill different roles in the market space when it comes to Lego, and the moment that BL starts being difficult to the sellers is the moment BrickLink starts to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

YanniRotten posted:

Pricing errors are not exactly a new thing to commerce - nobody is ever held liable for not honoring a pricing mistake.

I've ordered stuff from literal corporations at "too good to be true" pricing and they simply cancel the order without explanation

Yep - just the other week I ordered the Lamborghini sian set from a big chain for 225 euros, and its status isn't being updated. Probably will get canceled due to unintended coupon + sale price stacking, but I can't really fault them for that.