Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah if you say Ace Attorney's a visual novel, then yeah I could see it. But if you think DE is a visual novel that's like saying D&D 4e is WoW.

Which only people who've never played Final Fantasy Tactics or Divinity Original Sin would say.

It's a lot like the walking simulator argument of yore, obviously if you don't actively bash goblins and upgrade your gear then it must be labeled something else than a video game. I remember when Telltale's The Walking Dead first came out and was hailed by some as "the next evolution of visual novels" just for being a super classic adventure game but with a heavier focus on the characters and dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The only games allowed to use RTWP are FTL and tower defence games

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nah, RTWP in RPGs is fine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Me during the halfway points of Yakuza 7's cutscenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I know Steam Link is kinda dead these days but is there any way to stream Xbox Game Pass for PC games over Steam Link through steam and have it use steam's native DS4 controller support? Can you add non-steam games and have it work like that?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If you can get it in your library Steam will let you run the controller emulation and stream it. Whether it will actually stream properly is another question though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paradox Games make the best use of RTWP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Hub Cat posted:

If you can get it in your library Steam will let you run the controller emulation and stream it. Whether it will actually stream properly is another question though.

It's been a pain in the rear end to get XBGP games to get into Steam library. I think I have to use UWPHook and I'm not sure it's the same but I'll try i guess. I have my Steam Link in storage and haven't touched it in like 4 years, but we;re getting an LG 55 CX TV so I'd like to start using that and playing stuff together in the living room, and preferrably at 4K.

Perhaps a better question, since Steam Link is pretty old and quite discarded at this point, what's the best ways of streaming games from my PC (be it steam or xbox game pass) and controlling it with either a DS4/Switch Pro in another room? I'm sort of checking out this Moonlight thing but not sure exactly how it works. Is that the best way to do these things now?

or should I just invest in one of those Nvidia Shield Streaming devices?

unfortunately a really really long HDMI cable + usb cable with a bluetooth dongle is out of the question.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 27, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xaris posted:

It's been a pain in the rear end to get XBGP games to get into Steam library. I think I have to use UWPHook and I'm not sure it's the same but I'll try i guess. I have my Steam Link in storage and haven't touched it in like 4 years, but we;re getting an LG 55 CX TV so I'd like to start using that and playing stuff together in the living room, and preferrably at 4K.

Perhaps a better question, since Steam Link is pretty old and quite discarded at this point, what's the best ways of streaming games from my PC (be it steam or xbox game pass) and controlling it with either a DS4/Switch Pro in another room? I'm sort of checking out this Moonlight thing but not sure exactly how it works. Is that the best way to do these things now?

unfortunately a really really long HDMI cable + usb cable with a bluetooth dongle is out of the question.

Do you have the option of 10Gbit ethernet? That would be the closest to HDMI data rates at UHD but less of an issue for larger distances.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How's the Avengers game if I don't give a poo poo about a game-as-a-service or getting a thousand hours out of it (lol that they ever thought that was possible). Is there at least a cute singleplayer story in there?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

haldolium posted:

Do you have the option of 10Gbit ethernet? That would be the closest to HDMI data rates at UHD but less of an issue for larger distances.

I possibly could yeah. My Router+TV sits together on a case in the living room and I have an ethernet cable I poked through the wall that snakes into the bedroom and along the baseboard to my PC/NAS/Printer area (i have a switch here, its fairly old so I'd have to upgrade that). Not sure if my router (SmartRG SR515) has 10GB support though (looks like only 10/100Base T) but it would still have to then go somewhere to a TV-linked-device with controller connection so I could couch-control it.

This is a dumb question, but I have CAT6 ethernet cables, that means its 10GBE right? It looks like the only thing I may have to replace is my router + lan switch which are just 10/100

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 27, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pierson posted:

How's the Avengers game if I don't give a poo poo about a game-as-a-service or getting a thousand hours out of it (lol that they ever thought that was possible). Is there at least a cute singleplayer story in there?

It's alright. If you're a fan of Ms Marvel, it's apparently quite good. It does some good Hulk stuff too. Not worth the price IMHO, but not a terrible game.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Xaris posted:

Alright I was able to get Gamepass games in my Steam library with Glosc and from there they ran on my Shield through the Steam Link app, should work on the Link but I don't really feel like pulling mine out of storage to check.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Hub Cat posted:

Alright I was able to get Gamepass games in my Steam library with Glosc and from there they ran on my Shield through the Steam Link app, should work on the Link but I don't really feel like pulling mine out of storage to check.

I was able to get Game Pass games into Steam Library using UWPHook but Steam's native controller support didn't work in-game for some reason. Had to go back to DS4Windows to at least get that part working. I'll tryout GLOSC and I'll try out the Steam Link tomorrow and see if it can pull it up. Thanks!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 27, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's alright. If you're a fan of Ms Marvel, it's apparently quite good. It does some good Hulk stuff too. Not worth the price IMHO, but not a terrible game.
Yeah no way I would consider it at £60 but for £25 I might take the chance.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Been a spell since I've played Dragon's Dogma. Is Hard Mode a bad idea or nah?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh make sure you turn off Enable Overlay in Glosc, it doesn't work at all with XGP games and breaks everything. The whole thing is kind of janky through Steam Link so it feels like the real pro move is running it through Moonlight which works basically flawlessly except for exiting games. You have to have an Nvidia card and be willing to put up with Geforce Experience though. Doesn't look too hard to get on the Steam Link.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 27, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Black Griffon posted:

As I remember it the DD difficulty is very basic and just ups enemy HP and damage so it isn't very fun, you just start getting one-shot by bandits and you feel like a weakling all the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SirSamVimes posted:

Sure, but turn-based is much better and we can leave RTWP to mods

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not bad per se, but most games fail at making what is happening on screen easily legible. What spell is that mage casting? What does it do? When will it be cast? Who are they targeting? Do I have time to counter it if my fighter is standing over here? Why is my fighter walking over there instead of where I told him to go? Who killed my rogue? Why am I uninstalling this game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t have any of those issues. I do have an issue with combat taking for-loving-ever in turn based RPGs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's really more of a function of the encounter design itself having too much filler. Every turn in D:OS2 feels impactful because there are almost no trash fights and any one of your party members can light up the entire screen in flames.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

The general verdict I've seen is that the campaign is good and OK long, but the really cool abilities aren't unlocked until late in the game, so you'll have to deal with Hulk and friends being kinda gimped until then.

Trickyblackjack posted:

It's not bad per se, but most games fail at making what is happening on screen easily legible. What spell is that mage casting? What does it do? When will it be cast? Who are they targeting? Do I have time to counter it if my fighter is standing over here? Why is my fighter walking over there instead of where I told him to go? Who killed my rogue? Why am I uninstalling this game?

The lack of visual feedback in PoE just infuriated me. 15+ status effects but only a couple had a visual effect. Had to refer to the wiki to figure out how buffs and equipment bonuses stacked (or didn't stack) because the game didn't explain it.

I think there is space for a really good rtwp rpg, but it has to be one where the game embraces the on-screen chaos. Fine-tune the AI, make effects clearly visible, up the speed and make it a little easier.

Like, I love the old Infinity Engine games and still play them, but I have no desire to play new games that just retread their gameplay. Hell IE games are still superior in some ways - BG2 for example eschews repetitive fights entirely. The few trash fights that are present mix up the enemy composition/battlefield so they are all unique in some way.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 27, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That's really more of a function of the encounter design itself having too much filler. Every turn in D:OS2 feels impactful because there are almost no trash fights and any one of your party members can light up the entire screen in flames.

Impactful... to my schedule!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, weirdly enough, had a great complex and engaging RTWP battle system whose fundamentals could translate very well into even isometric CRPGs.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Since this is something Kingmaker actually does incredibly well, the obvious answer to RTwP vs TB is "do both and have a hotkey to toggle between them seamlessly"

Like I cannot overstate how awesome that implementation is. I can real time it for trash fights and swap over to tb for the tougher encounters that I want more control over. It's legit an awesome system.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

SUPERHOT

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Black Griffon posted:

I tried starting on Hard Mode on my last playthrough and I couldn't even finish the prologue sequence (but I was playing it on my Switch in the car during a trip, so that could have been a contributing factor). Personally I'd recommend playing the first playthrough normally and then if you're so inclined, playing New Game+ on Hard Mode. That works out anyway since NG+ doesn't increase the difficulty or rewards or anything like Dark Souls does, so if you save playing on Hard Mode until then, you can at least simulate some playthrough progression.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect is RTwP

the problem is that either RTwP RPGs have creaky combat systems inherited from D&D (almost 50 years old at this point) and/or are conceptually more suited for turn-based anyway (small squads of irreplaceable characters with loads of different abilities and statuses)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mass Effect 1 & 2 were good RTWP games.

Turn based doesn't work well with low level d&d style systems where your party can't hit a barn door with a tin sword from 3 feet away. Solasta's been annoying for this when in theory fighting a bunch of lizard men who are crawling up the walls should be fun and interesting. Choose 'attack', dice roll animation, another miss, repeat for 5 other party members.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve never played Dragons Dogma but my brother goes on about it being so good. Is it too old to enjoy for the first time? Thinking about getting it on PC or Switch to make it portable.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rolo posted:

I’ve never played Dragons Dogma but my brother goes on about it being so good. Is it too old to enjoy for the first time? Thinking about getting it on PC or Switch to make it portable.
No, it's not that old, and it's probably my favourite game of all time. The Switch version is good but, at least for me, the "Accessing Server" dialog that happens whenever you sleep (in order to update the asynchronous multiplayer stuff) takes forever to the point that I played most of the game offline and gave up access to getting new companions (pawns) very often, which is a shame since they constitute a good part of your "build". I'm not sure if that's a Switch issue or an issue with their server, but if you don't care that much about portability, I might recommend the PC version.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rolo posted:

I’ve never played Dragons Dogma but my brother goes on about it being so good. Is it too old to enjoy for the first time?

It is a bonkers experience but it holds up great. Just don't start as a mage IMO cause they feel weak and slow to play, and if you wanna play a magic user you can just switch to one of the hybrid magic classes or sorcerer when you get to the city -- sorcerer also feels weak and slow to play but has the upside of casting the most ridiculously over the top spells in any game if you can get your like 20 second cast time off.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

exquisite tea posted:

Every turn in D:OS2 feels impactful because there are almost no trash fights

Is this true? I couldn't finish D:OS1 because of all the goddamn trash fights taking forever and it was enough to sour me on the sequel preemptively.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Thanks for the detailed answers everyone! Much appreciated.

Pennfalath posted:

Dark Souls 2

dmboogie posted:

how about dark souls? 2 and 3 in particular have special movesets ("power stances") for when you're dual wielding appropriate stuff

I see. However, I'm the type who plays in series, rather than straight jumping to 2. Can you recommend a suitable/super-easy build for DS1 which at least "prepares" me for the dual-wielding DS2 experience please?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the vermintide games have a few dual weapons. the controls are the same as other weapons though, they aren't controlled independently

Unfortunately it's a multiplayer-based game, which is not really my cup of tea, sorry.

Actually, I do have a level 70 Barb at the moment. However, it ended up 2-handed because it's a lot harder to find 2 great legendary. I do enjoy the game though, especially the levelling experience funnily enough.

Quill posted:

A friend of mine has been deep into the PC release of Monster Hunter for awhile now. Apparently there's a nice collection of weapon types that all feel and play different. It can be real grindy, but it's loot-progression, so that comes with the territory.

There's also the arena fighter For Honor, where certain classes use two weapons simultaneously. Then you go and smash the opposing team. It's bloody and chaotic.

When it comes to ARPGs, I can say that Grim Dawn gives most bang for your buck. There are plenty of weapons and off-hands that you can combine, each with their own properties. One of my hardest hitting characters is a duel-wielder. If you do end up trying this, I'd recommend getting both DLCs as they are excellent and currently at a deep discount.

Once upon a time ago, I've tried really hard to get into Monster Hunter, but just totally bounced off it. It may be caused by incorrect choice of weapon though. Going to try Dual Blades later.'

For Honor seems have a lot of bad reviews and all, especially for new players trying to start now.

Oh hell yeah, Grim Dawn is pretty awesome as well. I've finished the game multiple times by now.

Zereth posted:

Some of the melee weapons in Shadow Warrior 2 are dual wielding. It's not mix and match though, it's one weapon that is two swords.

Yeah I've played this one as well, good recommendation.

Katreus posted:

You dual wield scythes as your main weapon in Darksiders 2.

I don't really enjoy the gameplay unfortunately.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

exquisite tea posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, weirdly enough, had a great complex and engaging RTWP battle system whose fundamentals could translate very well into even isometric CRPGs.
I was going to say the only RTWP combat I've enjoyed was Final Fantasy XII

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Is this true? I couldn't finish D:OS1 because of all the goddamn trash fights taking forever and it was enough to sour me on the sequel preemptively.

Yes, D:OS2 has extremely good encounter design. Tons of memorable and cool fights. Only downside is that the first 2~3 levels can be a bit confusing/hard, but afterwards it's pretty much all very well balanced.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

basically, give me divinity XCOM

I was looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes more than for Baldur's Gate 3. Shame it is in limbo. :smith:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I was looking forward to Divinity: Fallen Heroes more than for Baldur's Gate 3. Shame it is in limbo. :smith:

Congrats to Larian for winning the BG3 IP but also boo Larian, I wanted Divinity XCOM more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no problem with RTWP per se - he problem is specifically with games that use this system to simulate a RPG ruleset based specifically on sequential turns. Then it turns into garbage fire.