Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This video goes pretty in-depth into how Hagrid's works but the big take away is that it was only running 6 trains at opening and that wasn't close to stable with only 40% uptime. Now they have it running 10 trains with 97% uptime besides weather. Massive improvement in throughput.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBkB5xjFR8

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
tl;dr Intamin will build whatever kind of crazy ride creative dreams up, just don't expect it to work properly for the first season. Gringotts went down a dozen times a day for the first season too.

Do not be surprised when this is also the case for Velocicoaster, although it's a much more proven ride system so the technical difficulties should be ironed out in weeks instead of months.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

tomapot posted:

Miss the parks, been over a year since we visited. So we brought a touch of the magic home for the holiday.

So does that make 3 at a time, but also does the flip thing?

I never understood the reason for a flip thing.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Fartington Butts posted:

So does that make 3 at a time, but also does the flip thing?

I never understood the reason for a flip thing.

It's two sided so makes six at a time.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Paul Proteus posted:

It's two sided so makes six at a time.

Correct, you can make up to 6 at a time which was plenty for the 3 of us with the other food we had.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Coasterphreak posted:

tl;dr Intamin will build whatever kind of crazy ride creative dreams up, just don't expect it to work properly for the first season. Gringotts went down a dozen times a day for the first season too.

Do not be surprised when this is also the case for Velocicoaster, although it's a much more proven ride system so the technical difficulties should be ironed out in weeks instead of months.

Yeah, ask me about working on record breaking Intamin in the 2000s. They're all POS.

It's a real shame that B&M won't even get a little crazy. They refused to have anything to do with Hulk's launch and it was a miracle when Cedar Fair convinced them to build a giga coaster 12 years after Intamin did it first.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

Yeah, ask me about working on record breaking Intamin in the 2000s. They're all POS.

It's a real shame that B&M won't even get a little crazy. They refused to have anything to do with Hulk's launch and it was a miracle when Cedar Fair convinced them to build a giga coaster 12 years after Intamin did it first.

So either CP or SFGAv.

Also, its not that B&M is unwilling to build interesting stuff, it's that they charge through the nose because they insist on doing it, y'know, properly, which comes with a price tag that most parks balk at.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Anya posted:

Both are technical achievements and deserve accolades. But my Star Wars love is only so far - I still wish they had a third attraction in Batuu.

That would give HS and DLR 4 Star Wars rides, which might be a bit much. I'd rather they build a proper sit down restaurant and make some more levels for Smuggler's Run. They have the ability and I figure any plans for both of those are delayed by COVID.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Coasterphreak posted:

So either CP or SFGAv.

Also, its not that B&M is unwilling to build interesting stuff, it's that they charge through the nose because they insist on doing it, y'know, properly, which comes with a price tag that most parks balk at.

CP. Proud veteran of the coaster wars. I worked on almost every Intamin at the park including Disaster Transport the Intamin bobsled.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/MrEPCOT/status/1340051014997651458?s=20

ugh i waaaant

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That's Dave Perillo. Every year he does some bomb attraction posters. This year one of his four is Horizons: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJB-HCWDSOV/?igshid=1mlq7b1c3w0fq

If someone buys it for me during the festival because Disney hates money and won't put the good stuff on ShopDisney I'll in turn give you additional money.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1343348002665148417

I know this is basic-rear end fried food, but this is something I would make a bee-line to in DL/MK.

The food at Disneyland's Tomorrowland is known to be particularly lovely. Especially with Main Street being so close. But it's also a good trek to get to Galaxy's Edge or New Orleans square from there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fartington Butts posted:

I know this is basic-rear end fried food, but this is something I would make a bee-line to in DL/MK.

It’s always been kind of weird that Tomorrowland Terrace at Disneyland has the reputation of the park’s worst food, while at MK the place of the same name has the reputation of being surprisingly acceptable most of the time.

I wish they would just clone Liberty Tree Tavern in California. Maybe replace Hungry Bear with one when they re-iterate Critter Country? Imagine looking out the windows of that place and seeing the Mark Twain paddle by.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1343639663966179328

I'm enjoying Jenny's transition from ironic to genuine Avatar stan

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/jourdynberry/status/1343621537040101378?s=21

I have somehow gone this entire time without hearing this explanation of the opening show change and I desperately want to believe it’s true.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1343988974789029888

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sick.

Literally.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

looks like it's safer than a grocery store to me.

I mean, I went and picked up curbside groceries and the guy shoving them in my car ripped his mask off to ask me a question so hey it might literally be

I hope Biden makes them all close.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Surely they could have put up plexiglass dividers between each spot.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Surely they could have put up plexiglass dividers between each spot.

I don't think you can because of the way the bikes tilt

E: on this magical day disney decided to stop social distancing inside one of the most popular rides on the properly: https://twitter.com/i/events/1344054784597217286

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 30, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am now really glad I didn’t go.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Universal did a fantastic job of social distancing on rides the 2 days I was there last week. We were never that close to anyone at any point. Except the loving morons that can’t comprehend the signs on the ground.

Now, outside of the rides? Universal was a giant clusterfuck superspreader everywhere else. Hogsmeade you’re shoulder to shoulder, and the rest of the parks are better but still pretty crowded. Safest place we found was Springfield, drinking Duff on the little terrace with tables by the lake.

We were pretty happy that Universal allowed gaiters but within 10 minutes we were double masked as much as we could be.

5 days at Vero Beach was amazing. Never once felt unsafe and they were incredibly thorough with cleaning. I imagine disney is pretty consistent like that everywhere. I booked 6 nights in July back at Vero just because we loved having a Disney vacation without the insanity of Disney.

We are 7 days home from the trip. Haven’t seen a soul. Have no symptoms or issues and are not getting together with family for Christmas for 2 more weeks. Totally trying to be as safe as we can, safer than Flights Of Passage apparently, considering we traveled at a bad time. But, no regrets, our sons 13th birthday was great and I’d do it again without a doubt.

Also, Forbidden Journey is the best ride in Orlando, period.

(I haven’t rode ROTR or the new Mickey coaster yet, but it’s still the best ride ever made).

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Vero Beach Resort is my favorite Disney experience on land. I just love it. Super quiet, clean and always the best customer service within a company that is remarkably great about customer service. Hope to make it back there sooner than later.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Doronin posted:

Vero Beach Resort is my favorite Disney experience on land. I just love it. Super quiet, clean and always the best customer service within a company that is remarkably great about customer service. Hope to make it back there sooner than later.

It’s the best resort I’ve visited in the states, hands down. I have a list of names I need to write to Disney about as a thank you for the amazing customer service.

Example: Tom, host at Wind and Waves. Older gentleman. Day one I mentioned to him at dinner while waiting to be seated, just casually chatting, that my wife a few years earlier had eggs Benedict for breakfast with their signature Oscar style (lump crab meat and hollandaise sauce with old bay) and how I couldn’t wait to try it. Well the day we had breakfast there, it wasn’t on the menu. However, he saw our name on the reservations, mentioned to the chef that I had mentioned the crab meat on the eggs, and the chef made sure it was ready for me. That was my sons birthday breakfast which was great in and of itself, but Tom made sure I got that drat crab meat on my eggs and I will forever be blown away by that level of care and customer service. I thanked him a dozen times over the rest of our stay.

That might sound so dumb and trivial, and really it is in the grand scheme of life, but that’s what Disney does that separates it from everyone else. I chatted with a lot of people around the pool who do not own at Vero but go yearly because they love it and they all said the cast members never change, the service is amazing and they love going back every year.

It’s a great gem if a resort. I learned that Vero Beach was Dodgertown for 60 years. And people who worked at the resort remember when the Dodgers did spring training there. Awesome small town, quaint feeling for a resort that’s Disney.

It’s everything I wanted for a vacation, without having to deal with the Disney world insanity (which I miss a little but we need a few years break from anyway).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Douchebag posted:

It’s the best resort I’ve visited in the states, hands down. I have a list of names I need to write to Disney about as a thank you for the amazing customer service.

Example: Tom, host at Wind and Waves. Older gentleman. Day one I mentioned to him at dinner while waiting to be seated, just casually chatting, that my wife a few years earlier had eggs Benedict for breakfast with their signature Oscar style (lump crab meat and hollandaise sauce with old bay) and how I couldn’t wait to try it. Well the day we had breakfast there, it wasn’t on the menu. However, he saw our name on the reservations, mentioned to the chef that I had mentioned the crab meat on the eggs, and the chef made sure it was ready for me. That was my sons birthday breakfast which was great in and of itself, but Tom made sure I got that drat crab meat on my eggs and I will forever be blown away by that level of care and customer service. I thanked him a dozen times over the rest of our stay.

That might sound so dumb and trivial, and really it is in the grand scheme of life, but that’s what Disney does that separates it from everyone else. I chatted with a lot of people around the pool who do not own at Vero but go yearly because they love it and they all said the cast members never change, the service is amazing and they love going back every year.

It’s a great gem if a resort. I learned that Vero Beach was Dodgertown for 60 years. And people who worked at the resort remember when the Dodgers did spring training there. Awesome small town, quaint feeling for a resort that’s Disney.

It’s everything I wanted for a vacation, without having to deal with the Disney world insanity (which I miss a little but we need a few years break from anyway).

I see Vero Beach on my resort discount list, what activities are there? Is it “just” a beach resort?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

tomapot posted:

I see Vero Beach on my resort discount list, what activities are there? Is it “just” a beach resort?

Pretty much. Beach and pool. Pool bar, daily activities, DJ on the weekend. Lots of stuff you’d find at any Disney resort like an activities center, shuffleboard, movies outside on the lawn at night.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like Tron is probably 2022 now :/

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1345430383446392833?s=20

Some bad signs over at Cosmic Rewind too. This is just such a bad look for Disney, especially with Velocicoaster opening up at The Other Park.

Cosmic Rewind I sorta get - there might be unforeseen problems in the build since its allegedly a new ride system - but Tron is a copy/paste. The railroad's been closed for more than two years

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

This is just such a bad look for Disney, especially with Velocicoaster opening up at The Other Park.

...not to any sane person that realizes there are a lot more important things going on worldwide right now. Like, C'mon. Universal cancelled an entire park if you want to criticize theme park construction during a global pandemic and compare the two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boxman posted:

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1345430383446392833?s=20

Some bad signs over at Cosmic Rewind too. This is just such a bad look for Disney, especially with Velocicoaster opening up at The Other Park.

Cosmic Rewind I sorta get - there might be unforeseen problems in the build since its allegedly a new ride system - but Tron is a copy/paste. The railroad's been closed for more than two years

It’s a pandemic

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's Magic Kingdom. You can't just have an opening to an enclosed building like that or it will just fill with seagulls. :v:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

The railroad's been closed for more than two years

yeah it has and we're in the middle of a global pandemic. nobody is going to blink twice about rides being delayed.

Craptacular! posted:

It's Magic Kingdom. You can't just have an opening to an enclosed building like that or it will just fill with seagulls. :v:

I keep hoping for just fifty thousand pigeons to explode out of the top of space mountain one day

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bird Shittron

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

...not to any sane person that realizes there are a lot more important things going on worldwide right now. Like, C'mon. Universal cancelled an entire park if you want to criticize theme park construction during a global pandemic and compare the two.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a pandemic

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah it has and we're in the middle of a global pandemic. nobody is going to blink twice about rides being delayed.

yes there are more important things going on in the world right now, which is why the company is plowing its profits into distribution of the vaccine and lol wait no that isn't happening they're protecting their corporate value by pausing projects that started well before COVID-19 was a twinkle in our eyes. The cancellation of the Spaceship Earth and the festival center (and Epic Worlds) are more forgivable to me because ground hadn't been broken yet, which I don't feel like is an arbitrary distinction.

I feel like it's pretty well accepted that Disney is slow as molasses at building things. Them building new poo poo just isn't a thing that's particularly in their wheelhouse, and the pandemic is a good excuse to indulge their own impulses. If you think I'm being unfair to Disney just pretend I'm complaining about their four year build out for a duplicate coaster, which was absurd when it was announced.

If they were like "we're holding these projects because we cannot guarantee safe working environments for our contractors" I'd be more willing to give them a pass, but I hope you'll understand my skepticism that this is the internal calculus.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Boxman posted:

yes there are more important things going on in the world right now, which is why the company is plowing its profits into distribution of the vaccine and lol wait no that isn't happening they're protecting their corporate value by pausing projects that started well before COVID-19 was a twinkle in our eyes. The cancellation of the Spaceship Earth and the festival center (and Epic Worlds) are more forgivable to me because ground hadn't been broken yet, which I don't feel like is an arbitrary distinction.

I feel like it's pretty well accepted that Disney is slow as molasses at building things. Them building new poo poo just isn't a thing that's particularly in their wheelhouse, and the pandemic is a good excuse to indulge their own impulses. If you think I'm being unfair to Disney just pretend I'm complaining about their four year build out for a duplicate coaster, which was absurd when it was announced.

If they were like "we're holding these projects because we cannot guarantee safe working environments for our contractors" I'd be more willing to give them a pass, but I hope you'll understand my skepticism that this is the internal calculus.

Epic Universe was already under construction and has been abandoned in place.

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1345144652446511106?s=21

There is some fallacy online that Disney is slow at building new attractions. They're not. They're deliberate and... like Gandalf... Disney is never late, nor are they early. They open new attractions precisely when they mean to. They announce Tron in 2017 to open in 2021 and people get upset that construction doesn't finish in 2019 "because Universal built Hagrids in 1 year!" It's silly. Except for Covid Tron would have opened exactly at the time they told us in 2017.

Yes Disney is ALSO doing "internal calculus" on how to best manage these $100 million+ projects. They don't come along every year so there isn't a good reason to rush and open them all as fast as possible. They are all planned to open when Disney thinks they will best benefit the business and give attendance a boost. This is the reason for construction "slowness" people never seem to understand. They can only think at a basic level of "I want new thing now!" And get upset because Disney won't spoil them.

I'd ask you what you would rather they do for Tron in light of Covid: 1) Finish the ride early then board it up for 12 months so it can get dusty, paint fades, and things break or "disappear". Or 2) pause construction now and then restart it in time to complete for the new planned opening date so it's all brand new when it opens?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Criticizing Disney for not buying all the yet available for purchase vaccines is really dumb.

So is that \/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 3, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remy's has been finished and sitting there for months now too. It's 100% a marketing thing

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If by marketing thing you mean they are timing the openings of these attractions to maximize return on investment, then yeah. They can’t maximize returns on these huge attractions by opening them when the parks are at 35% capacity. Plus, the pandemic has increased construction costs and caused supply chain issues in many industries. It’s not a great time to build things.

It’s exactly the same calculus as why no marvel movies have come out during the pandemic.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

look my hope for space mountain to explode in birds still remains and none of you can end that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Good to see that Orlando is taking after post-recession Vegas and leaving vertical construction as unfinished eyesores for years and years. About time you guys got in on this!

In reality, though, the original Haunted Mansion’s little house sat abandoned and inaccessible for, what, five years? Seven? They built it in 1962 or so and then got lost in Worlds Fair projects, and when the ride opened Walt was gone.

And of course there were the Art of Animation hotels. Sometimes Disney just leaves poo poo.

Edit: But they also absolutely deliver stuff much later than anticipated sometimes. How can anyone who saw Test Track’s development say otherwise?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 3, 2021