Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah a few years ago a woman got killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dingos are literally just wolves, keep that in mind.

I mean they are just wolves in so far as any feral/wild dog population is, the taxonomic history is messy but they are considered dogs.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Part of why the Azaria Chamberlain case went so poorly is the dingos had managed to take off her jacket, iirc, without overly damaging it, so the cops thought a human must have been involved. However, because 'everyone knows a dingo couldn't take off a baby's jacket, what are you, stupid?', nobody actually bothered running behavioral tests with captive dingos and wrapped up food to see if, in fact, a dingo could take off a baby's jacket, until much later.

Turns out dingos are perfectly capable of taking off a baby's jacket! It's fairly unsettling!

EDIT: But yeah there's nothing inherently special about humans, the reasons human infants don't tend to get absolutely hosed up by wildlife isn't because wildlife instinctively knows not to touch, but that humans usually don't leave infants in a position to have that happen. A dingo doesn't know there's reasons why it shouldn't take a baby. It's just hunting. It's doing what animals do. You can't emotionally reason with a wild animal, they don't understand you.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Dec 23, 2020

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah a few years ago a woman got killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia iirc

It was an up and coming folk singer. It’s a weird story that may have come up already in this thread. The fact that it was considered so unusual speaks to how rare coyote attacks are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wolves don't often attack people either, do they? But it's understood that they *could*.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They don't do it often, it's very rare, but they do. Historically they did actually kill people a fair amount. The danger is oversold but yes, they'll opportunistically kill and eat humans.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought Coyotes were smaller? More like fox sized? Dingos always seemed like just "Labrador" sized?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

I thought Coyotes were smaller? More like fox sized? Dingos always seemed like just "Labrador" sized?

They're about the same size 20-40ish pounds.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're about the same size 20-40ish pounds.

Apparently there are two slightly different variants; the Eastern coyote is mostly a coyote/wolf hybrid that is in the 45 - 55 lb range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_coyote

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

They don't do it often, it's very rare, but they do. Historically they did actually kill people a fair amount. The danger is oversold but yes, they'll opportunistically kill and eat humans.

Depends on how desperate they are too, I'd imagine. A relatively well-fed wolf probably wouldn't risk it but a starving might go for it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Oh yeah they accused the family of sacrificing babies to Satan just because they were Seventh-Day Adventists. This is not in any way an exaggeration, it's the motive the police came up with since there wasn't an actual motive because they were actually a totally normal family with a somewhat unusual and insular religion who very much loved their daughter.

The dingos had been getting bolder and bolder leading up to that fatal attack, with park rangers noticing and trying to get permission to put the fear of humans back into the dingos by shooting at them if they got too close to high-population areas of the park. It wasn't taken seriously by the people who could have given permission, because everyone knows dingos don't attack humans! Visitors to the park were not informed of the increased aggression and boldness, because they didn't want to scare people away, and thus Lindy Chamberlain thought it was safe to leave Azaria in the tent with the zip open for less than 5 minutes while she heated up some beans for her hungry son. If she'd had any idea dingos could be a danger, I fully believe she would have zipped up the tent or not even camped there in the first place, but since the park hadn't warned of the previous attacks...

It just makes me mad on the level of like, poor wildlife management, because the dingos should never have been in a position to sneak in and grab a baby to begin with. Obviously wildlife parks are going to have wildlife. That's good, that's normal, that's fine. But you have to be sure the wildlife aren't getting too acclimatized to humans. On the same merit, visitors need to know what steps they should take to minimize danger. It'd be like if a park tried to cover up the fact that bears are dangerous and you need to hang your food in trees to avoid baiting bears to your campsite, or something.

So basically, the demonization of this mother was just more '80s Satanic Panic bullshit. I guess it wasn't just confined to the United States, but had infected the entire Anglosphere (and beyond?)

I remember during the Amanda Knox case (in 2007!) the prosecutor brought up the idea of a "Satanic sex game" as a motive, and knew right then and there that the whole case against her was bullshit.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That Bakersfield 3 story was nuts. I feel bad for Baylee. How on earth did she get sucked so deep into such an awful situation so quickly?
Before they even mentioned the possibility of her working with police, my gut instinct was that she was a CI or otherwise working with law enforcement. I really hope for her sake that she's under some kind of official protection.

Loomer posted:

And suddenly many things about Paris Hilton make sense.
When that came out, I felt like a total piece of poo poo for being so judgmental and dismissing her as a spoiled rich kid.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
it really sucks that she was basically a punchline (dingoes ate my baby) for a very long time

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Relatedly I really hope Britney Spears can get her independence back

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rural Australian cops exist pretty much solely to murder Aboriginal people, keep in mind. Not surprising they're aggressively useless at everything else.

There was an Australian dude in the early 80s who beat the Australian family court legal system by just systematically shooting and bombing the house/car/workplace of judges and attorneys that found/worked against him. It was super obvious he was doing it, but since they didn't catch him in the act, he wouldn't confess, and they apparently had no real forensic capability, they couldn't do anything about it.

You'd think a police force so used to just disappearing people would disappear a dude who's an obvious threat to their authority, but nope, hes white, we'll just get bombed like 6 times then give in and he gets custody of his daughter.

He went to jail in 2015 cause he cut his finger bombing his ex-wife's church in '85 and DNA finally caught up with him.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

nishi koichi posted:

it really sucks that she was basically a punchline (dingoes ate my baby) for a very long time

I think it was even on Rugrats at some point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

christmas boots posted:

Depends on how desperate they are too, I'd imagine. A relatively well-fed wolf probably wouldn't risk it but a starving might go for it.

Desperation is a huge factor in many cases but an infant or an isolated, lame individual is going to set off all the "easy prey" alarms in a predators head.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Dec 24, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fun fact: in Autopsy 8 (the 8th Autopsy special on HBO), a former friend of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka described Paul as "Donald Trump". This aired in 2002. lol.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

an isolated, lame individual

Please stop describing me, I don't want the wolves to get ideas

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC most predators haven't had the update to recognise bipedalism yet, so by being tall humans end up looking really huge to them. Try to avoid looking short near wolves.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC most predators haven't had the update to recognise bipedalism yet, so by being tall humans end up looking really huge to them. Try to avoid looking short near wolves.

Isn't that the reason this tactic doesn't work against bears? Because they often stand up, too and can map our limb positions to theirs?

I believe there was research recently that demonstrated cats also know our arms = front paws and our legs = hind paws.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, animals are stupid. Bet they don't even know what math is either.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Now I have this image of wolves that keep forgetting to leave themselves plugged in overnight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never mind, I have started watching a bit of Dark Crimes. That is definitely one of the scariest shows I've ever seen. My advice would be to not get murdered in southern Africa.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pick posted:

Never mind, I have started watching a bit of Dark Crimes. That is definitely one of the scariest shows I've ever seen. My advice would be to not get murdered in southern Africa.

As annoying as I find my favorite murder (once they got big, anyway), the advice of "stay sexy, don't get murdered" remains pro-tier

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"The father reported his son missing. The same day, the dead body of a boy matching his description was found mutilated but recognizable. Instead of notice or check if anyone had been reported missing, the police threw it into a ditch so they didn't have to deal with it. About 4 years later, when a white girl was finally killed, the police finally arrested the guy who'd been spotted where another boy had been raped and murdered earlier, covered in blood, who they'd allowed to point out where the boy's effects had been scattered before shrugging him off. By the time they threw all the skeletons in a big pile to go 'wow, what a bunch of skeletons' they realized he had probably killed like 30 kids or something. He also revealed he'd brutally murdered an adult woman in his youth whose demise was basically ignored."

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Isn't that the reason this tactic doesn't work against bears? Because they often stand up, too and can map our limb positions to theirs?

I believe there was research recently that demonstrated cats also know our arms = front paws and our legs = hind paws.

This is really interesting, and something I never really thought about before. Can you tell me where I could read more about this?

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Before they even mentioned the possibility of her working with police, my gut instinct was that she was a CI or otherwise working with law enforcement. I really hope for her sake that she's under some kind of official protection.

Just based on other stories about how police treat CIs and what we know about the Bakersfield PD, I’m not optimistic.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ZoeDomingo posted:

This is really interesting, and something I never really thought about before. Can you tell me where I could read more about this?

Here's the link from ScienceMag

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Seemingly unapologetic murderer of Andre "Angel" Menendez, Michael Alig died of an overdose on christmas.
Here's one of the few articles that I have read that treats him like remorseless murderer instead of a starlet who accidentally flashed their panties.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/0...-it-for-months/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sarcopenia posted:

Seemingly unapologetic murderer of Andre "Angel" Menendez, Michael Alig died of an overdose on christmas.
Here's one of the few articles that I have read that treats him like remorseless murderer instead of a starlet who accidentally flashed their panties.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/0...-it-for-months/

Why did so many folks treat this person as a minor celebrity? Michael Alig I mean.

He seems like a loving monster.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Why did so many folks treat this person as a minor celebrity? Michael Alig I mean.

He was literally already (in)famous for shock and outrage. His whole brand was trying to be as edgy, cruel and out there as possible so it just kind of made the mythos around him larger. Like, if you watch the documentaries on him an awful lot of the people around him speak the exact same way as Alig about the whole ordeal. Angel was annoying and didn't belong there anyway, Michael was a genius who just maybe did too many drugs and the biggest downside is always that the murder put a stop to Alig's parties and not the fact that a man was brutally killed by an entitled idiot.

It reminds me of how every Sid Vicious Doc I've seen is like 80% talking about what a delicate cherry blossom he was behind the punk facadeand people blaming Nancy Spungen for getting physically abused and ultimately murdered by him. People will excuse a lot of things if the personality is big enough and if they contributed to whatever nostalgia they are obsessed with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He was obnoxious and had the same kind of brokebrained fans GG Allen fostered.

Conservative America loves bad people propped up as "representative" of lifestyles they hate, and club culture was inextricably entwined with LGBTQ culture of the era.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Here's the link from ScienceMag

Thank you!!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Hi folks, I'm back with one more mystery to close out the year. The Sloot Digital Coding System

Jan Sloot was a television repairman who spent the bulk of his time working on a device he theorized could hold entire movies in ridiculously small file sizes - think a feature film in 8KB. This sounds a bit nutty, but even more amazing are the names he got to sign on to funding his work. Major Dutch investors helped spread news of his work across the globe, accruing millions of dollars in backing. Then, a few days before a deal was made to have the system's source code transferred and mass-produced...Jan Sloot died of a sudden heart attack at home.

There was an intense rush to find his work so not all would be lost. I'll leave it to the video to explain how this ends.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

Hi folks, I'm back with one more mystery to close out the year. The Sloot Digital Coding System

Jan Sloot was a television repairman who spent the bulk of his time working on a device he theorized could hold entire movies in ridiculously small file sizes - think a feature film in 8KB. This sounds a bit nutty, but even more amazing are the names he got to sign on to funding his work. Major Dutch investors helped spread news of his work across the globe, accruing millions of dollars in backing. Then, a few days before a deal was made to have the system's source code transferred and mass-produced...Jan Sloot died of a sudden heart attack at home.

There was an intense rush to find his work so not all would be lost. I'll leave it to the video to explain how this ends.
Yiiiiiiisss. I love your videos. Especially because I've rarely heard of any of the subjects before watching them. Can't wait to see what you dig up in the new year!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Josef bugman posted:

In 2017 he was booked to do a Halloween party at the Echoplex and enough of the LA queer scene was like "Nah gently caress that guy" that they dropped his rear end like a hot potato soaked in piss

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

In 2017 he was booked to do a Halloween party at the Echoplex and enough of the LA queer scene was like "Nah gently caress that guy" that they dropped his rear end like a hot potato soaked in piss
Awesome!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Josef bugman posted:

I think you’ll find he was a middle-class white man with a famous partner who “told it like it is” (was constantly crass and hurtful) and who “kept it real” (behaved rudely and self-indulgently). Take out Keith Haring and you’ve got slender gay Donald Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Sarcopenia posted:

He was literally already (in)famous for shock and outrage. His whole brand was trying to be as edgy, cruel and out there as possible so it just kind of made the mythos around him larger. Like, if you watch the documentaries on him an awful lot of the people around him speak the exact same way as Alig about the whole ordeal. Angel was annoying and didn't belong there anyway, Michael was a genius who just maybe did too many drugs and the biggest downside is always that the murder put a stop to Alig's parties and not the fact that a man was brutally killed by an entitled idiot.

It reminds me of how every Sid Vicious Doc I've seen is like 80% talking about what a delicate cherry blossom he was behind the punk facadeand people blaming Nancy Spungen for getting physically abused and ultimately murdered by him. People will excuse a lot of things if the personality is big enough and if they contributed to whatever nostalgia they are obsessed with.

There are still a ton of people who refuse to admit that John Lennon was a serial abuser.