Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Just checking here, is it possible to disable the crafting sounds from random players, without disabling anything else? I'm going through trying to prune all the distracting effects I hate, and I've realized the only one I can't find is that. Which is a problem, because it turns out a really efficient way to be annoying as hell in this game is just to do a LOT of crafting in social areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Eox posted:

If you really hate having Steam running, you can always use an illicit third party launcher. Otherwise I've never really had any issues with my Steam license.

You don't even need a third party launcher, you just need to make a shortcut to ffxivboot.exe with the "-issteam" argument.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LawfulWaffle posted:

For the record I was able to log in with my old account and character. I hope I don't regret getting the Steam version for some reason.

as far as I know the only real issues with the steam version is that it makes using a third party launcher slightly more complicated and that it locks you into buying every expansion afterwards through steam, which means you miss out on potentially killer sales from places like GoG that do preorder discounts and stuff. It doesn't affect the actual game in any way, as far as I'm aware.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And it's worth knowing so that when you DO see sales in one place or the other you buy the right version. Not "this is the wrong choice", more "remember that you chose that". Glad to hear things could transfer okay from PS4.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

For the record I was able to log in with my old account and character. I hope I don't regret getting the Steam version for some reason.

Literally the only thing you need to worry about is that when a new expansion comes out, you will need to buy it on Steam to play it on PC.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/zenospenos/status/1335391727096619013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Melomane Mallet posted:

As a COR main in 11, drat you for toying with my emotions like this! :arghfist::mad:

...Wait, this totally why I gravitated to limsa, isn't it.

Sup fellow COR main :hfive: I play MCH on 14 but I miss the support role half of the job. Also eternal "Sky Pirate" title.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You'd think a cumpilation would have more than four.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd be interested in a pirate job with a cutlass and brace of pistols. Like a red mage or ninja as a brutal selfish DPS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd be interested in a pirate job with a cutlass and brace of pistols. Like a red mage or ninja as a brutal selfish DPS.

Historically speaking, you were on your way to getting something similar; the original plan for the gun-having DPS was going to be the Musketeer, based out of Limsa. You can still see the signage for it and some NPCs practicing it, and Merlwyb's big badass scene before Leviathan was supposed to be a teaser for it, just like Yugiri was for Ninja. Musketeer was planned as far back as 1.0, too; in 1.0 I believe some jobs had both melee and ranged weapons (someone more educated than me on FFXIV Jank Version could fill us in better there), so it wouldn't be too surprising if the Musketeer then would've had a cutlass as a melee option.

Musketeer died so that Machinist could live, though. I don't think it's ever been said why Musketeer didn't happen, but I always suspected it was just plain old conceptual reasons; there's not enough ways to spin the power of 'I've Got A Gun' to flesh out into a whole sustainable moveset, but once you combine it with stuff like Edgar from FFVI you've got something going.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 27, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I feel like the cutlass (and maybe a bit of water magic) would diversify the moveset enough for you to get a proper job out of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Two jobs died so Machinist could live, no less. It's running on the framework (probably just animations) of a scrapped attempt on Chemist that they just couldn't get to gel mechanically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've noticed recently a lot of Emerald Weapon Extreme farm groups advertising themselves as 'no reset/no walling' Is there any specific reason for that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It takes less time, and I think it allows for a continuous parse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It takes less time, and I think it allows for a continuous parse.

Ah, the parse thing makes more sense.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Cleretic posted:

Musketeer was planned as far back as 1.0, too; in 1.0 I believe some jobs had both melee and ranged weapons (someone more educated than me on FFXIV Jank Version could fill us in better there), so it wouldn't be too surprising if the Musketeer then would've had a cutlass as a melee option.

That doesn't sound quite right -- even in base 1.0 your class identity was tied to your primary weapon (that was the entire selling point of their class system, after all), so switching between a gun and a sword would be swapping you between Muskateer and Gladiator in that instance, and you can't change classes in combat so there wouldn't have been a way for that to flow. And I want to say the "ranged weapons" for melee jobs were abilities that were tied to consumables, but I may be conflating that with how Angon worked for DRG in FFXI.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Resetting Weapon fights is for cowards and bads. :colbert:

In my 70 totem streak of farming Titania Ex for the mount, i finally found a group that makes this drag of a fight interesting again: Solo Tank :haw:

edit: did solo heal groups before and aside from the DPS adjust they're nothing special, but this farm group insists on solo tank and drat, that's jank. Not only the lightning tethers and following TBs, but also the 90% Vulnerability Down on the adds when they're together

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 27, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Copycat Zero posted:

That doesn't sound quite right -- even in base 1.0 your class identity was tied to your primary weapon (that was the entire selling point of their class system, after all), so switching between a gun and a sword would be swapping you between Muskateer and Gladiator in that instance, and you can't change classes in combat so there wouldn't have been a way for that to flow. And I want to say the "ranged weapons" for melee jobs were abilities that were tied to consumables, but I may be conflating that with how Angon worked for DRG in FFXI.

On review, I might be getting that just from a TCRF section for 'throwing weapon' models, that apparently were being used in some capacity in 1.0 but are largely unused in ARR.

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_XIV_Online:_A_Realm_Reborn_(Windows)#Unused_Gun_And_Throwing_Weapon_Models

They've got here a pebble (no idea), a chakram (probably PGL), a tomahawk (WAR), a harpoon (LNC), an arrow (ARC by technicality, obviously), a throwing knife (ROG), some sort of 'metal ball on a stick' that might be a grenade or morning star (GLD, maybe...?) and a shuriken (...ROG again?).

Some of those are technically used in actual attacks, but the models still exist as weapons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Copycat Zero posted:

You could easily describe the red mage as switching weapons though --- you just get both the rapier and the floaty lantern thingie in the same slot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, or ninjas having two daggers as one item.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

OddObserver posted:

You could easily describe the red mage as switching weapons though --- you just get both the rapier and the floaty lantern thingie in the same slot.

Yeah, but that's a later implementation after having adjusted their design philosophy -- they've said, for example, that if they could go back and redo it, they'd have not made GLD/PLD have separate sword and shield items, but because of the legacy code/items from the Sentinal "class" and then people getting used to being able to glam shields separately, they can't really do it at this point. I wouldn't be surprised, if RDM had been implemented back in 1.X, if they would have made the orb an offhand item separate from the rapier.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

HenryEx posted:

Resetting Weapon fights is for cowards and bads. :colbert:

In my 70 totem streak of farming Titania Ex for the mount, i finally found a group that makes this drag of a fight interesting again: Solo Tank :haw:

edit: did solo heal groups before and aside from the DPS adjust they're nothing special, but this farm group insists on solo tank and drat, that's jank. Not only the lightning tethers and following TBs, but also the 90% Vulnerability Down on the adds when they're together

did it work? ive never even thought about solo tanking that because of the adds and tether. its not like dps is a problem even with 2 tanks and 2 healers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly... yes. That actually might have been the best/fastest party i've ever had, too. I've seen new mechanics skips today, too!

Did you know that you can skip the second rune (go in) after the 1st phase thorn vines so she phase changes into forest land without going back into the middle of the platform? Boss is usually a bit out of position for the lightning tethers then :haw:

Also had an adds phase push so fast that the whippy vines didn't even have a chance to come up. Usually you just skip the following knockback and get the funny "fist comes crashing down" animation without damage, but even that one didn't happen.

edit: the "has 100% parse and cleared e12s already" WHM tanked the second add, usually

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

COR would basically be MCH but with AST cards, kind of sounds fun tbh.

Cleretic posted:

some sort of 'metal ball on a stick' that might be a grenade or morning star (GLD, maybe...?)

Maybe the stickbombs from FF12?

e: Stickbombs/thrown explosives were also in FF11. Melee DPS all wanted a grenade equipped called the Bomb Core. You didn't actually throw it because it was worth a shitload of gil and gave you a big fat melee attack bonus while it was sitting in your ranged slot. People threw them by accident all the loving time though (but not me, I never did :smug:)

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 27, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

red mage theory: are red mages in this called red mages because (rdm story spoilers) the original red mages from mhach turned themselves into red-haired vampires using the blood of lilith?

i know red mage is a historical final fantasy class, but the jobs have their own origins in this setting and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else the red theme would come from.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, it's a color scheme that's clearly neither black mage nor white mage?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I know I shot a rare as gently caress stat arrow on BRD once that you're supposed to use with the no ammo consumption move. Pro gamer moment, for sure

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

red mage theory: are red mages in this called red mages because (rdm story spoilers) the original red mages from mhach turned themselves into red-haired vampires using the blood of lilith?

i know red mage is a historical final fantasy class, but the jobs have their own origins in this setting and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else the red theme would come from.

man, I clicked this spoiler thinking, oh what could possibly be worth spoiling about red mages and boy. wow

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The original Red Mages weren't from Mhach. They were created in Ala Mhigo cooperatively with the White Mages of Amdapor who survived the flood.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 27, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

man, I clicked this spoiler thinking, oh what could possibly be worth spoiling about red mages and boy. wow

aw i'm sorry, the red mage job storyline is probably my favourite i've done so far.

warrior is cool but starts reusing the same plot point over and over in a way that gets tiresome, and white mage is decent 30-50, then really good 50-60, then 60-70 is heartwarming but feels almost like a sidequest series. a good sidequest series, but it's not really very white mage focused at all. dark knight has been very cool but i've only done the 30-50 class quests for it.

probably my biggest complaint about shadowbringers is the lack of class quests. from 70-80 a lot of the jobs undergo some pretty major changes in their abilities, and it would be nice to get the lore reason for that. like white mage has their elemental powers turn into pure light laser beams, and i'd kind of like some backstory on that, especially considering the major themes of the expansion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think they're red because their swords draw blood, whereas other mages just burn/freeze/bludgeon people. Traditionally, I think it's a chess thing? Like, white and black are the normal chess colors, but some sets have red instead of one or the other.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I was excited to get some actual use out of my super nerd lore final fantasy encyclopedia so I just cracked it open and it mentions that the refugees who developed red magic were following a burning star that lead them to safety. My guess is that's what influenced the choice of red in particular?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they're called red mages because green mage was already taken (new job in ivalice-focused expansion for 8.0)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The original Red Mages weren't from Mhach. They were created in Ala Mhigo in tandem with the White Mages of Amdapor who survived the flood.

they were a combo of mages from mhach (black magic) and amdapor (white magic) whose war caused one of the calamities, then they linked up in ala mhigo. before they figured out they could use weapons to amplify their magic they were looking for other ways to stop themselves from burning out their aether and dying young. you find the tablet at the ziggurat in ala mhigo that explains some of the ancient mhachi red mages using demon arts to try and overcome their mortal limits and turning into vampires, which is what lambard researched and turned evil over.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

COR would basically be MCH but with AST cards, kind of sounds fun tbh.

Maybe the stickbombs from FF12?

e: Stickbombs/thrown explosives were also in FF11. Melee DPS all wanted a grenade equipped called the Bomb Core. You didn't actually throw it because it was worth a shitload of gil and gave you a big fat melee attack bonus while it was sitting in your ranged slot. People threw them by accident all the loving time though (but not me, I never did :smug:)
every time I think I've already heard the most FFXI thing...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
JFC the RNG is being downright hostile today. I'm just going to have to give up XIV for the evening.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

warrior is cool but starts reusing the same plot point over and over in a way that gets tiresome

After a certain point it's just an outer beast

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

probably my biggest complaint about shadowbringers is the lack of class quests. from 70-80 a lot of the jobs undergo some pretty major changes in their abilities, and it would be nice to get the lore reason for that. like white mage has their elemental powers turn into pure light laser beams, and i'd kind of like some backstory on that, especially considering the major themes of the expansion.

I kind of hope they don't keep doing role quests for the next expansion even though I know they will; A lot of the job quests have characters that I'd like to continue the story with, like Z'rhun and Arya or Radovan and Sophie.

I think the in-universe explanation is that generally speaking by the time your character hits lv70 in the job they're the greatest (your job) on Hydaelyn so 72-80 is basically your character just coming up with new badass moves on their own.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope the next healer class is chemist and they use some sort of aether pistol, so that we can put together a full viable party that uses only guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chillgamesh posted:

I kind of hope they don't keep doing role quests for the next expansion even though I know they will; A lot of the job quests have characters that I'd like to continue the story with, like Z'rhun and Arya or Radovan and Sophie.

I think the in-universe explanation is that generally speaking by the time your character hits lv70 in the job they're the greatest (your job) on Hydaelyn so 72-80 is basically your character just coming up with new badass moves on their own.

now that we're back on the Source i could see the role quests including existing job quest NPCs