Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The thing that kind of impresses me is that in none of the photos of the scene have I seen anything that resembles any part of an RV - engine block, frame, axles, etc. You'd think a blast big enough to obliterate a vehicle like that would leave a pretty sizable crater but instead it seems like it just sort of vaporized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

*slaps roof of RV*

this bad boy can fit so much loving nitrate fertilizer and diesel in it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

The thing that kind of impresses me is that in none of the photos of the scene have I seen anything that resembles any part of an RV - engine block, frame, axles, etc. You'd think a blast big enough to obliterate a vehicle like that would leave a pretty sizable crater but instead it seems like it just sort of vaporized.

Not like RVs are super strong, structurally.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommieGIR posted:

Not like RVs are super strong, structurally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ5Xet7qPdw

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
From Local News 4 (NBC affiliate) in Nashville:

https://twitter.com/JFinleyreports/status/1343038998848090112

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yup, he went after the ATT building, called it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So.... This guy was a boomer?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So.... This guy was a boomer?

His camper definitely was.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Midjack posted:

His camper definitely was.

:wow:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I loving knew it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Only a boomer would use an rvied

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ded posted:

My first thought as soon as I read it was next to an AT&T building was 5g covidiots.

:smug:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
get this man a job in his local fusion center.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Called it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving 5G spying conspiracy bullshit :lol:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't Donny hop on the 5g conspiracy bandwagon after making a lot of noise about how great it was

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't Donny hop on the 5g conspiracy bandwagon after making a lot of noise about how great it was

Not that I ever saw but they drummed up a lot of poo poo about it being a war to win vs China or some other poo poo. Looks like its a real turd right now though:

https://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/the-trump-administration-goes-to-war-on-5g-with-itself/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Discussion Quorum posted:

Lots of people on Twitter trying to put a political lens on it but it feels like the work of a weirdo with weirdo grievances. We'll see, though.

Just curious, do you still think this isnt politically motivated?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 27, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Just curious, do you still think this isnt politically motivated?

If this is a play at "did that new information change your opinion, stupid? :smug:", I guess my response would be a) you are mistaken as to my opinion and b) do we actually have new information beyond maybe it was 5G paranoia? Because no, I will not be surprised if it turns out to be a right wing nut mad about voting machines or Bill Gates and population control.

I just thought, and still think, that yesterday was too soon to be doing victory laps on Twitter that it must be ONE OF THEM when there are plenty of examples of wackos doing wacko poo poo because wackos do wacko poo poo. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1342984709723316225?s=19

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Porfiriato posted:

So if human remains were detected, are we talking about cocaine on a Benjamin levels of traces?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1342986545272401920?s=20

I grew up in Pinellas county and went to middle school and played little league baseball with Charles. I remembered he committed suicide but somehow it escaped that he did it by flying a plane into a building.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there some real screwy poo poo with the anthrax too

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Reminder that we still don't really know poo poo about the motives of the dude who collected a bunch of guns and then shot dozens of people to death in Vegas from a hotel room.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there some real screwy poo poo with the anthrax too

Yes, the samples were from our "diagnostic" stock. When they were analyzed, it scared the dogshit out of those checking it out because the spores were extremely fine and took to air readily, and suggested that if it had come from "trrists," they had a far better developed bioweapons capability than we'd imagined.

As I recall, they ultimately theorized a disaffected scientist was behind the attacks who had committed suicide before he could be charged: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Edwards_Ivins

Suicide by Aspirin/Tylenol is probably one of the most painful ways to go. :gonk:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Reminder that we still don't really know poo poo about the motives of the dude who collected a bunch of guns and then shot dozens of people to death in Vegas from a hotel room.

I thought he was just bonkers and his brother was a pedophile, right?

Oh also didn’t he have gambling debts too?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just goes to show the class divide. People on the other side of that divide get rewarded for their gambling debts with a Supreme Court seat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I thought he was just bonkers and his brother was a pedophile, right?

Oh also didn’t he have gambling debts too?

No evidence of mental illness aside from some bouts of depression and an anxiety medication prescription. So no, not "bonkers." He gambled, but no serious debts, just that he'd lately been losing more than winning according to some.

A chef who knew him said he watched a lot of youtube conspiracy theory stuff, but that's not much to go on.

I've no idea what his brother would have to do with the shooting, unless he was an accomplice.

So in short..

mlmp08 posted:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

I've no idea what his brother would have to do with the shooting, unless he was an accomplice. .
I just remembered it as part of the whole thing. Granted it not as weird as what happened with Eric Rudolph’s brother...who if I remember cut his hand off on a video about being loyal to his brother.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Basically, FBI concluded the guy had kept his thoughts pretty private his entire life, including leading up to his mass killing and suicide. The closest conjecture they could come up with regarding family connections were that the shooter's dad had been a notorious bank robber back in the 1960s, but that's not much at all to go on.

quote:

The report depicts a man whose physical and mental health was deteriorating and who was planning for the end of his own life. "In reaction to this decline, Paddock concluded that he would seek to control the ending of his life via a suicidal act," the report says. It also suggests the high-stakes gambler may have been inspired by his father, a bank robber and fugitive, who, in 1968, was on the FBI's top-ten most-wanted list.

"Paddock's father created a façade to mask his true criminal identity and hide his diagnosed psychopathic history, and in so doing ultimately achieved significant criminal notoriety," the investigative panel concluded.

Paddock carefully planned the attack, with a yearlong buying spree of firearms and ammunition, careful Internet-based research of police tactics and response, site selection and ballistics.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Discussion Quorum posted:

If this is a play at "did that new information change your opinion, stupid? :smug:", I guess my response would be a) you are mistaken as to my opinion and b) do we actually have new information beyond maybe it was 5G paranoia? Because no, I will not be surprised if it turns out to be a right wing nut mad about voting machines or Bill Gates and population control.

I just thought, and still think, that yesterday was too soon to be doing victory laps on Twitter that it must be ONE OF THEM when there are plenty of examples of wackos doing wacko poo poo because wackos do wacko poo poo. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1342984709723316225?s=19

No no it was more like do you think that the link to the limited info we have now is political or not? I guess it's more of a discussion about mental illness because you keep referencing wackos or weirdos, it was just an odd way to minimize something of this nature. It's hard to post about this and not talk irl, something gets lost in translation. I guess I'm asking can you hand wave away violence as just some form of mental illness without taking into account their motivation if it doesnt make sense to you? These arent gotcha questions on trying to figure it out myself and I'm not sure I'm making myself clear

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 27, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm not trying to minimize it, my original comment was a response to a trend I was seeing on Twitter of people all but pre-writing what they thought this guy's manifesto was going to be (essentially "this must have been done by my enemies" with zero real evidence to that end).

I guess what you're asking is how expansive we want to make the definition of "political violence," and does the mental state of the perpetrator matter?

Which of the following is political violence?
  • Nazis plotting to false flag at Charlottesville - pretty sure we could all agree on that.
  • OKC bombing - likewise.
  • A dude with obvious mental illness mailing bombs to Trump's enemies from his Trump conspiracy van? Yes, IMO, albeit not organized political violence.
  • IRS plane guy? Kill dozer? Arguably political, but those were more rooted in individual grievances.
  • The guy who shot Gabby Gifford and killed a bunch of others? A politician was shot and a judge was killed, there was a lot of concern at the time that political rhetoric played a part, but IIRC he was seriously mentally ill and they never really did nail down a motive.
  • Smiley face bomber? He had an agenda, but it was pretty far detached from the reality most of us live in.

If it turns out this bomber was a sov cit who had had enough of AT&T's collections department turning off his internet in violation of admiralty law, is that political? Technically yes, but IDK that it rises to a level that I would consider it political terrorism. Likewise if it turns out to be 5G paranoia. I'd consider those weirdo grievances, which does not mean the individual was mentally ill, or that if they were, that mental illness somehow excuses it. Want to make that real clear.

If he was bombing AT&T because of the Dominion voting machine conspiracy or Q poo poo? It can be both political and weirdo.

ETA: IMO, there are certain weirdo things that have penetrated far enough into right-wing thought that I would consider them serious enough to see through a political lens. Bill Gates/vaccine population control paranoia, Q, election fraud, probably ten times that I am forgetting. Trump has muddied those waters for sure.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 27, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Given the state of American political discourse, trying to distill a "political motive" that's distinct from mental illness seems pointless. The whole of Qanon appears to a lay observer to be some kind of politically induced psychosis. There are also dozens of other examples where politicians (primarily conservative politicians) tap into some pretty "insane" theories to attract wingnuts to their platform.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Given the amount of outreach and acceptance the political right has given to fringe conspiracy groups over the last 4 years, actual grounding in political reality is no longer required to be a politically motivated terrorist. Right wing figureheads have actively encouraged anti-5G and all sorts of other ungrounded conspiracy violence

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Internet Wizard posted:

Given the amount of outreach and acceptance the political right has given to fringe conspiracy groups over the last 4 years, actual grounding in political reality is no longer required to be a politically motivated terrorist. Right wing figureheads have actively encouraged anti-5G and all sorts of other ungrounded conspiracy violence

Jinx

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Now he owes you a Koch.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Internet Wizard posted:

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1342994857023983616?s=21

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mlmp08 posted:

Plus almost nothing has changed law wise so if another bad person felt like doing the same other than needing to buy bump stocks used. And might want to bring the bags up to his room over a few days instead of all at once.

Would it be accurate to say that until he broke the hotel window and barricaded the door, he hadn’t broken any laws?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Plus almost nothing has changed law wise so if another bad person felt like doing the same other than needing to buy bump stocks used. And might want to bring the bags up to his room over a few days instead of all at once.

Would it be accurate to say that until he broke the hotel window and barricaded the door, he hadn’t broken any laws?

Planning a mass murder attack with full intent to commit the attack is a crime. But otherwise, AFAIK, just some low level stuff like he might’ve hired a sex worker.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This reminds me, how the hell are binary triggers legal? It's a second bullet fired for every trigger pull (technically it fires a bullet when you release the trigger), so that should run afoul of gun laws to my limited understanding of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me, how the hell are binary triggers legal? It's a second bullet fired for every trigger pull (technically it fires a bullet when you release the trigger), so that should run afoul of gun laws to my limited understanding of the situation.

From arfcom (ugh), here’s the document and this on page 83

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1120876/download

quote:

The Department disagrees that other firearms or devices, such as rifles, shotguns,
and binary triggers, will be reclassified as machineguns under this rule. Although rifles
and shotguns are defined using the term "single pull of the trigger," 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(5),
(7), the statutory definition of "machinegun" also requires that the firearm "shoots
automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading," by a single function of the
trigger, 26 U.S.C. 5845(b). While semiautomatic firearms may shoot one round when the
trigger is pulled, the shooter must release the trigger before another round is fired. Even
if this release results in a second shot being fired, it is as the result of a separate function
of the trigger. This is also the reason that binary triggers cannot be classified as
"machineguns" under the rule--one function of the trigger results in the firing of only
one round. By contrast, a bump-stock-type device utilizes the recoil energy of the
firearm itself to create an automatic firing sequence with a single pull of the trigger.
The
Department notes that ATF has already described a "single pull of the trigger" as a
"single function of the trigger." See ATF Ruling 2006-2.

It makes no sense but no gun regulation in the US makes much sense so