Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have an NVidia Shield Portable; basically it's a handheld Android device with a built-in X-Box 360 controller and fold-down screen. It's an amazing device especially with Gamestream but my issue is that it has the absolutely worst standby battery life of anything I've ever owned.

I got something called LeanDroid that's supposed to turn off wifi when the screen goes off (closing the lid) but it doesn't seem to work. The fan still spins like crazy even with the screen closed and I hear all my stupid notifications like Google News alerts.

Is there some sort of app I can get to force this thing into a deep sleep mode when the screen is closed? Is that something Tasker can do? I know this is a pretty unique device (the drat thing is worth more on eBay now than when I bought it new 6 years ago) so I can't imagine having many options here. It's rooted if that helps or makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
WTF, Google removed the dark theme option from my Maps.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Google gonna Google

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google = Apple.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else using Feedly on a Pixel 3? For some reason I can't tap on articles starting this morning. Some thing on regular and beta channels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Anyone else using Feedly on a Pixel 3? For some reason I can't tap on articles starting this morning. Some thing on regular and beta channels.

It's not just Pixel 3. I've had the same thing happen on a OnePlus device this morning and an iOS device last night. Must be some sort of Feedly issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

It's not just Pixel 3. I've had the same thing happen on a OnePlus device this morning and an iOS device last night. Must be some sort of Feedly issue.

Ok, thanks. Guess I won't bother factory resetting then!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Works fine on my Pixel 2 right now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah it started working again an hour or so ago.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a reliable, safe way to block ads nowadays? I haven't really looked into this since like 2012, and there are about a million near-identical adblock apps in the store.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a reliable, safe way to block ads nowadays? I haven't really looked into this since like 2012, and there are about a million near-identical adblock apps in the store.

DNS66

https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Blockada's pretty nice, too. https://blokada.org/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
NextDNS set as a Private DNS. App optional.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

NextDNS set as a Private DNS. App optional.

Or AdGuard's DNS. There's no reason to do the fake VPN poo poo anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last time I used DNS filtering there was an android bug that massively drained the battery if you had a custom DNS set so I've been using Blockada for a while now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of some weather apps that can use The Weather Channel as a data source? They're evidently the most accurate forecast for where I'll be living, but the official app is not great.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use Hello Weather which does apparently

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
They do, but I don't like their notifications. I'd prefer the ongoing notification to have the temperature, since it's much easier to determine the conditions by looking out the window than the temperature. They also don't have severe weather alert notifications.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm pretty sure it does both those things, you thinking of a different app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think so, unless this isn't the one you're talking about. I just reinstalled it and you can only turn the ongoing notification on or off. No other options for it. I'd also apparently bought a premium subscription last May, and I asked them then if they had severe weather alerts and they said not yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of some weather apps that can use The Weather Channel as a data source? They're evidently the most accurate forecast for where I'll be living, but the official app is not great.

Google weather does.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

hooah posted:

I think the Google app does... And includes a shortcut widget to take you directly into the weather (i.e. behaves like an app). I've used it for a while.

Edit: wrong. It uses weather.com EDIT: right! Weather.com is the weather channel

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 27, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

I don't think so, unless this isn't the one you're talking about. I just reinstalled it and you can only turn the ongoing notification on or off. No other options for it. I'd also apparently bought a premium subscription last May, and I asked them then if they had severe weather alerts and they said not yet.

:shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maybe they added that in te meantime. But I think I wasn't clear about the ongoing notification. I mean I want the icon to be the temperature so all I have to do is wake up my phone to see the temperature.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

oh ok. I get that on my lock screen from the regular Google weather notification

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

oh ok. I get that on my lock screen from the regular Google weather notification

Yeah, if Google would show an ongoing notification it'd be perfect.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Maybe I'm missing something here but the current temp is shown on the always on display and regular lockscreen

So if I'm that desperate to check the temperature its there already without unlocking?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but the current temp is shown on the always on display and regular lockscreen

So if I'm that desperate to check the temperature its there already without unlocking?

I've never understood the "temperature as a notification icon" people for exactly this reason. It's literally everywhere and it's something you just don't need to know that often. I get that there are situations where an app has to have a "keep alive" notification but if it's got to be weather then conditions is at least more informative than temperature.

Honestly I'd even rather just it say COLD, FINE, WET, or HOT than a number since that's all I'd really care about.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean, when I want to know the temperature and weather it's usually because I'm heading out the front door right now. I don't wanna have to spend 10 to 15 seconds navigating through a bunch of apps or doing a search on Google to see what it's going to be today. I want it to be one button press away.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, when I want to know the temperature and weather it's usually because I'm heading out the front door right now. I don't wanna have to spend 10 to 15 seconds navigating through a bunch of apps or doing a search on Google to see what it's going to be today. I want it to be one button press away.

It might be a pixel thing, but I've got conditions and temperature on my lock and home screens and more detail is a tap away. No easy way to get to radar though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

You mean the way it is on every always on screen in the entire industry? To get that information is literally zero button presses unless you have one of the few phones without an always on screen, and even then it's prominently displayed on the lockscreen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's not displayed on my OnePlus 8 pro lock screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's not displayed on my OnePlus 8 pro lock screen.

Telephone professionals don't need to know the weather, I guess. I wouldn't know, I'm a telephone amateur who is actively told the weather conditions if I am within five feet of my phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel is actually the only one that does weather on AoD, Samsung doesn't do it either.

That said, I have no idea how often it updates, so it's probably a good idea to go into the app regardless.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

They warn you about peepee snow in the UK?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The step up from that is an amber alert which means god was dehydrated too

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My weather warning notifications go into greater detail.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Why would this app be incompatible with my Pixel 5?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.lens.android

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Adobe doesn't seem to care much about the Pixel line.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-camera/user-guide.html/photoshop-camera/system-requirements.ug.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Sigh