Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Achtane posted:

I was behind a giant Ram 1500 from Montana with the license plate "RLNCOAL".
Later ended up next to it and saw an "EcoDiesel" badge.
???

I think "Economy" versus "ecology" is the figleaf here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Owning the libs on a budget.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If you can find anything more MURICA than a lifted truck that smells like mcdonald's french fries I'm all ears.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

a lifted mcdonalds

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

taqueso posted:

a lifted mcdonalds

That smells like truck

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

honda whisperer posted:

If you can find anything more MURICA than a lifted truck that smells like mcdonald's french fries I'm all ears.

Carl's Jr. baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sckyo3-f2D8

:911:

Make sure to pay close attention to the truck in the ad. :newlol:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They CGI'd her eating the ridiculous burger, omg.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I was trolling ebay for hearse parts and this came up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Cadillac-Brougham-Hearse/284120107527?hash=item4226e0ca07:g:aaMAAOSwAXtfF5-c

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Elviscat posted:

Looks like she just fake-ate it, making sure to keep the "bitten" side of it out of view.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

It LOOKS decent, but it has precisely none of the things that made a real Supra (particularly a MkIII/IV) special.

Its like a PT Cruiser or Prowler. Looks the part, but has no business in the same sentence as the real thing.

You mean other than being better in every metric other than a manual transmission (which of course is *slower* than the automatic) than the Mk IV?

The Mk IV Supra was a very expensive, but also very good Grand Tourer (NOT a sports car), that sold for poo poo and no one cared about until Fast And Furious made it famous... for drag racing. It was actually a very good car for the time. The ABS, for example, set a braking distance record that wasn't beaten until the Porsche Cayman, I believe it was.
I found and read a pretty good article talking about that and comparing the new and old when I first looked at the article linked in the Twitter post, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. It doesn't seem to be in my history for some reason. The new Supra is both cheaper and better/faster than the Mk IV , much less the Mark IV Turbo.
I'm not a fan of the shared architecture and engines, but if you're going to borrow them, BMW isn't a bad choice for either. So far that series of engines doesn't seem to have terrible issues, and that engine in particular is unique to the Supra and Z4.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Elviscat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdV12FhNR0&t=65s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wrong thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thumposaurus posted:

I was trolling ebay for hearse parts and this came up.

God drat if that isn't one of the best thread title contenders

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wrong thread.

Yeah regardless of the dumb ad copy in that sale listing, that thing whips

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

God drat if that isn't one of the best thread title contenders

Seconded

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Memento posted:

Yeah regardless of the dumb ad copy in that sale listing, that thing whips

Does appear to be only 2wd and has a ten bolt rear though.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Darchangel posted:

You mean other than being better in every metric other than a manual transmission (which of course is *slower* than the automatic) than the Mk IV?

The Mk IV Supra was a very expensive, but also very good Grand Tourer (NOT a sports car), that sold for poo poo and no one cared about until Fast And Furious made it famous... for drag racing. It was actually a very good car for the time. The ABS, for example, set a braking distance record that wasn't beaten until the Porsche Cayman, I believe it was.
I found and read a pretty good article talking about that and comparing the new and old when I first looked at the article linked in the Twitter post, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. It doesn't seem to be in my history for some reason. The new Supra is both cheaper and better/faster than the Mk IV , much less the Mark IV Turbo.
I'm not a fan of the shared architecture and engines, but if you're going to borrow them, BMW isn't a bad choice for either. So far that series of engines doesn't seem to have terrible issues, and that engine in particular is unique to the Supra and Z4.

Every valvetronic engine is a disaster bill waiting to happen.

BMW always had issues with valve stem Seals and earlier you just bit the bullet and paid a wrench monkey of trust the propably less than 1000 bux to take out the cams and replace the Seals after 150k km.

Wirh valvetronic the stem Seals wear out faster, because the relative speed of the stem to the seal is slower and hydrodynamic friction sets in much later in the motion cycle of the valve. This is inherent to the valvetronic design. But not only is the one universal glass cheek of BMW engines amplified with valvetronic, your 1000 Euro bill for a replacement is now 5000 Euro and every random mechanic will give you a look as if you showed up with a rotary that needs new apex Seals.

Apart from that you have the usual BMW goodness. Undersized timing chain drive, put on the wrong loving side of the motor, plastic that likes to brittle out in hot oil everywhere, random vanos deaths and soemwhat questionable rod bearings that were meh when they still had lead in them and by all accounts have gotten worse with reach conform lead free bearings.

The 2JZ is not an engineering masterclass work of art but it's a rediculously thick motor for its stock power rating and has no weaknesses whatsoever. A quality that is entirely unthinkable in any bmw powertrain of today.

Also we can't isolate a motor from the rest of the powertrain anymore nowadays. The original gearbox of a 90s supra or skyline is giving zero shits about doubling the stock horsepower. Sure you may need a better clutch but that's about it. Especially for street use.

You double the input power on the ZF8HP that is in the new supra and (besides the engine detonating long before) you'll have a 10000 Euro dumpster fill of planetary gears and multi plate clutches to decorate your garage with.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 29, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 2JZ is overrated. There, I said it. There is a particular reason the Super GT Supras either used 4T/3S derived motors (or later, UZ V8s). The 2JZ was abandoned after a single season.

A fun thing to bring up is that in production based racing (Group A, BPR/FIA GT classes) the A70 series was actually more successful.

The A80 Supra was a failure stateside, sure, but it was sold in its home market right up until 2002. It’s a good car, and more accurately it’s a Sports GT car - not a pure GT like the Soarer was.

Frond fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 29, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
To be fair I don’t really know what the difference between a Sports or a GT car is. The fact that they have full power options and Automatic Climate Control? I think these things are expected at the price points these cars were sold at.

NOBODY in the market for Sports GT cars likes cranking the windows up and down, or being uncomfortably hot. This was true in 1986 and it’s the same today.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Idea: a class indicator on car configuration websites ala Forza where you slap some summer tires on and the stats all change and the banner goes from C to A class.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Frond posted:

To be fair I don’t really know what the difference between a Sports or a GT car is. The fact that they have full power options and Automatic Climate Control? I think these things are expected at the price points these cars were sold at.

NOBODY in the market for Sports GT cars likes cranking the windows up and down, or being uncomfortably hot. This was true in 1986 and it’s the same today.

Unless you're a Porschist, in which case you'd pay extra for the privilege.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Porsche and BMW make fine machines but I gotta say considering how much they cost the equipment levels are...lacking, to put it politely. Until recently that is.

Some of the 924s/944s I’ve seen are very spartan. I understand back to basics I guess but it’s a bit unacceptable when a V6 Camaro of the same vintage has better equipment levels.

Frond fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 29, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frond posted:

Porsche and BMW make fine machines but I gotta say considering how much they cost the equipment levels are...lacking, to put it politely. Until recently that is.

Some of the 924s/944s I’ve seen are very spartan. I understand back to basics I guess but it’s a bit unacceptable when a V6 Camaro of the same vintage has better equipment levels.

Genuinely confused here - what market 944s have worse equipment levels than a V6 Camaro of the same vintage? 924s sure - probably the same as the base model camaro because it was the base model porsche of the time.

No cupholders, because germany and very often manual steering because that's a feature not a bug. Most of the 944s I come across have heated mirrors and wiper nozzles. I'm pretty drat sure the camaro at any trim level didn't have that.

What else do you think was missing?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think the idea is you display how wealthy you are by demonstrating you can afford to kit it out with the options available in a £10k Dacia.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The Porsche configurator is just overwhelming as gently caress. I can't imagine going through all those options, just feeling the wallet draining because damnit you need that $1500 chrono clock pack. But then the face of the clock is the wrong colour, so now you need that $550 clock face colour option.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The best part of the Porsche configurator is when you select a certain color stitching for a bunch of different spots then forget the steering wheel and don't notice it doesn't match until after delivery is taken

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Motronic posted:

Genuinely confused here - what market 944s have worse equipment levels than a V6 Camaro of the same vintage? 924s sure - probably the same as the base model camaro because it was the base model porsche of the time.

No cupholders, because germany and very often manual steering because that's a feature not a bug. Most of the 944s I come across have heated mirrors and wiper nozzles. I'm pretty drat sure the camaro at any trim level didn't have that.

What else do you think was missing?

I live in Canada - some of the base model 924s don't have power windows or air conditioning. Which, considering how much they cost when new, is unacceptable. "Base Model Porsche" should carry more features.

Despite it's price the 944 was never available with things like Digital Climate Control - even the top spec models. Again, kinda of unacceptable as well when crappy poo poo-rear end NA Z31s and even it's knockoff (the FC3S, although I think it might have been Japan only) have it. Ditto the Z51 C4 Corvette.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frond posted:

I live in Canada - some of the base model 924s don't have power windows or air conditioning. Which, considering how much they cost when new, is unacceptable. "Base Model Porsche" should carry more features.

Despite it's price the 944 was never available with things like Digital Climate Control - even the top spec models. Again, kinda of unacceptable as well when crappy poo poo-rear end NA Z31s and even it's knockoff (the FC3S, although I think it might have been Japan only) have it. Ditto the Z51 C4 Corvette.

I've never come across even a USDM 924 without AC. I think I've seen on without power windows once. Sounds like the based dealer specs in canada were lower.

What is "digital climate control"? Every 85.5+ 944 I've seen has thermostatically regulated climate control. No, it doesn't have a "digital" display, but you set a temperature via a knob and it holds it. Which is very much NOT what most climate control systems of the time did. And definitely not within the capabilities of the climate control unit in a 1986 Camaro:

It feels like you're comparing 35 and 40 year old porsches with mid 90s Camaros. Which....sure, go ahead.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The Euro Versions came standard without power windows and AC and you got one side mirror. Also no Catalytic converter.
This was considered by Porsche to be the optimal setup for the car and anything above made you smell of yuppie.

My dad shopped for a sport coupe back then and he had the option to take the 924 or a camaro z28. After a few kilometers in the camaro he decided it drove like poo poo and got the 924, which to this day feels great to drive.

We are laughing about things like "added weight" when it comes to AC and power windows nowadays but a base line 924 weights only 930 Kg (with driver and a full tank of Gas). That is the weight class of a Toyota AE86 with a similar performance powertrain, better chassis and suspension.

You add AC and a few comfort bits and you drive that weight up by 15-20% easy. You feel that difference even on the road. Especially with such a direct car.

E: the options on dads 924 were the "Fuchs" wheels, Targa Roof, no rubber spoiler and... Seatbelts...

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 29, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

We are laughing about things like "added weight" when it comes to AC and power windows nowadays but a base line 924 weights only 930 Kg (with driver and a full tank of Gas). That is the weight class of a Toyota AE86 with a similar performance powertrain, better chassis and suspension.

You add AC and a few comfort bits and you drive that weight up by 15-20% easy. You feel that difference even on the road. Especially with such a direct car.

The amount of poo poo you have to pull out of a USDM 944 to make it a spec car is impressive. The power seats all on their own is a massive amount of weight.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Personal terrible car stuff: got a new work truck- 2019 f150 lariat. Factory tow package but no trailer brake control? Wtf Ford, I know that everyone else that isn’t getting an xl with a rubber floor is going to put the Costco run in it, but gently caress man give me a brake. :rimshot:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The time period you're both talking about was also when Porsche, at least in Europe, actually priced their various models after what it cost to build them instead of their perceived status. The base price on a 968 Coupe in 1994 was 97440 DM, and the lightened CS (with less equipment, ergo cheaper to build) was priced at 79300 DM.

As far as I can tell, the models that are "for racing" cost a lot more these days than the standard models.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The time period you're both talking about was also when Porsche, at least in Europe, actually priced their various models after what it cost to build them instead of their perceived status. The base price on a 968 Coupe in 1994 was 97440 DM, and the lightened CS (with less equipment, ergo cheaper to build) was priced at 79300 DM.

As far as I can tell, the models that are "for racing" cost a lot more these days than the standard models.

TBF usually the lightened models these days seem to involve a lot of carbon fiber, which is an expensive process.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

morethanjake32 posted:

Personal terrible car stuff: got a new work truck- 2019 f150 lariat. Factory tow package but no trailer brake control? Wtf Ford, I know that everyone else that isn’t getting an xl with a rubber floor is going to put the Costco run in it, but gently caress man give me a brake. :rimshot:

:golfclap:

Kinda Terrible Car Stuff: first properly icy morning of the year here, I just had to climb through the boot, put down half the split rear seat, then climb through to the front seats to get in/start my GFs '19 Civic because all the outer door handles were frozen. The front doors opened fine from the inside. :argh:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

when are we going to get over the mindset of carbon fiber being "exotic" and "expensive"? it is neither in terms of manufacturing and end product forming. fake vinyl carbon fiber wrap is more expensive per yard at this point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Majere posted:

when are we going to get over the mindset of carbon fiber being "exotic" and "expensive"? it is neither in terms of manufacturing and end product forming. fake vinyl carbon fiber wrap is more expensive per yard at this point.

I was going to say still 10x pricier than steel, but then that's by weight, and you can make a whole lot more chassis out of a pound of CFRP than you can steel. 10x more?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Isn’t carbon fiber less safe since it snaps instead of bending?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

david_a posted:

Isn’t carbon fiber less safe since it snaps instead of bending?

No, like any materials you need to take its various properties into account for your design. It could, in theory, be MORE safe given whatever the requirements of the design might be (usually weight if we're talking CF vs Aluminum or Steel)

Majere posted:

I've machined very little CF and when I did it was in a very brittle matrix but fiber pulling fracturing was a real problem, even when using tooling and guidance appropriate for the material. Taking conventional machining off the table instantly puts it into the "exotic" category in my book. How can you quickly rework prototypes, for example? Sure, I know the answer is to bond it to something you CAN machine, use inserts, etc but those are still additional processes that are labor intensive and limit rework.

2nd EDIT:
Ya know, my experience might have been worse because of the matrix, but heres a video of one expected to be used on a home build aircraft and you can see there is more damage to the resulting part compared to aluminum, particularly pull up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPB8U0lcRY

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 30, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Wasn't the problem with carbon fiber that it's a huge pain to repair? I seem to remember something about it a while back where damage wasn't repairable, they had to replace whatever panel(s) entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

CFRP should not be machined with classic cutting tools.

If you have to do cutting operations on cured CFRP you can use air powered die grinders. Never use electric tools. They can be shorted by the carbon dust. Air Die grinders work really good and don't cause delamination.
If you have to have CNC control you can use the water curtain adapters that are utilized for the machining of graphite.

For prismatic work, you should always utilize a water jet cutter, which ultimately is also a grinding process through the abrasive compound in the water jet.

The idea of "billet" CFRP work should generally be avoided. The properties of directional Fibre reinforcement and especially the use of complex composite structures with honeycomb or foam cores and maybe even inserts for stress points requires the precise matching of stress flow and Fibre layout, which is done by layer orientation prior to resin application and/or cure.

Also after a handful of projects you'll propably ditch CFRP because even with adequate PPE the stuff just gets everywhere and irks your skin for days as well as leaving a giant mess in your workplace.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 30, 2020