Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol @ the non-spoiler thread bitching about how Marco is an insufferable idiot and him getting so powerful/lucky makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crazycryodude posted:

Lol @ the non-spoiler thread bitching about how Marco is an insufferable idiot and him getting so powerful/lucky makes no sense
haven't been paying attention I guess

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
It always kind of annoyed me how people complained about Marco unbelievable when,

you know

gestures vaguely at reality

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kerwyn posted:

It always kind of annoyed me how people complained about Marco unbelievable when,

you know

i've just awoken from a 20 year coma! excuse me, my good fellow, what year is it? who's the president? who?!?!?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was initially surprised there wasn’t more coverage in Ep 4 about the attack on the Martian PM but the more I think about it in the books it was someone we never saw or heard from except from others’ POV and I guess I didn’t really care about them then.

There’s still time but the earth thing was certainly more impactful for many reasons. Just initially felt like a “Pentagon coverage on page 9” newspaper on 9/12 thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am enjoying all the posts about how this was symbolic and he's not going to do anything major.

Which is why I hope they aren't downplaying the horror, the story doesn't work if Marco isn't the biggest mass murderer in history.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hed posted:

I was initially surprised there wasn’t more coverage in Ep 4 about the attack on the Martian PM but the more I think about it in the books it was someone we never saw or heard from except from others’ POV and I guess I didn’t really care about them then.

There’s still time but the earth thing was certainly more impactful for many reasons. Just initially felt like a “Pentagon coverage on page 9” newspaper on 9/12 thing.

I'll be sad if we don't get Alex and Bobbie escaping a Donnager-class battleship with Nate on the Razorback.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am enjoying all the posts about how this was symbolic and he's not going to do anything major.

Which is why I hope they aren't downplaying the horror, the story doesn't work if Marco isn't the biggest mass murderer in history.

But he's not the biggest mass murderer in history.

Winston Duarte is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

kerwyn posted:

you know

No he's really bad

I think I actually said "Oh my loving god just kill him already!" when I read the part in the book where his fleet is at a stand-off with another and he just slams the controls of his hesitant pilot and it quickly switches to the end of the battle, which he somehow won

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, "It's just space 9/11" isn't a very accurate take. Hoping they lean in on the fact that Earth's biosphere is completely hosed for generations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s obvious in the book that Marco is kind of meant to be a poo poo villain, that’s the point. He’s this bloviating rear end in a top hat with delusions of grandeur who loves making big speeches and pretending it’s all part of the plan. The guy is space Trump. Foolish show watchers are not getting that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he’s a distraction used by Mars/Duarte

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i just touched the poop a little bit in the non-spoilers thread and lol

really hope we get the delivery of Marco just being a moronic pawn so the people in the thread won't have their vindication that he's badly written/acted/whatever tf

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jakabite posted:

It’s obvious in the book that Marco is kind of meant to be a poo poo villain, that’s the point. He’s this bloviating rear end in a top hat with delusions of grandeur who loves making big speeches and pretending it’s all part of the plan. The guy is space Trump. Foolish show watchers are not getting that.

It’s not entertaining to read an “on purpose poo poo villain”

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I thought it was - he wasn’t the best part of the books for sure but I found him interesting enough. Definitely something different.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah gauging based off what show watchers are thinking either they hosed up the rocks and martian conspiracy in the show or they are pulling their punches for reveals later in the season.

I wonder if its the latter, then what do y'all think the show watcher reaction will be? That the rocks more or less destroy earth and that Marco is just a pawn in a giant martian conspiracy? Because right now show-watchers are either underestimating the rocks/conspiracy or are underwhelmed by it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm pretty sure the punches are gonna land as Amos tours the post-apocalyptic wasteland, with a side serving of Avasarala getting reports about mass agricultural collapse or whatever. The show is still in "wtf is going on, rocks just hit, nobody knows what's happening" mode, give it a few more episodes.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah no way they’re going to let a main character walk across a desolated apocalyptic wasteland then be like ‘don’t worry though this is just this area, he happened to get unlucky!’ Shits gonna be fuuuuuucked up

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Phi230 posted:

Yeah gauging based off what show watchers are thinking either they hosed up the rocks and martian conspiracy in the show or they are pulling their punches for reveals later in the season.

I wonder if its the latter, then what do y'all think the show watcher reaction will be? That the rocks more or less destroy earth and that Marco is just a pawn in a giant martian conspiracy? Because right now show-watchers are either underestimating the rocks/conspiracy or are underwhelmed by it.

This is what I was saying before. The rocks felt really underwhelming compared to how they played up the planetbuster hitting in s1. It almost feels like an afterthought like "oh poo poo, yeah the episode is ending, uhhh show a lame explosion I guess".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Professor Shark posted:

It actually really was. Those couple books were my favourite of the series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kaedric posted:

This is what I was saying before. The rocks felt really underwhelming compared to how they played up the planetbuster hitting in s1. It almost feels like an afterthought like "oh poo poo, yeah the episode is ending, uhhh show a lame explosion I guess".

I dont understand why they did the planet buster at all. It entirely downplays the way that even Mars knows that Earth is too valuable to really harm. They knew the rocks were coming, why downplay them?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

PriorMarcus posted:

I dont understand why they did the planet buster at all. It entirely downplays the way that even Mars knows that Earth is too valuable to really harm. They knew the rocks were coming, why downplay them?
I'm betting they really didn't expect to get to nemesis games at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nail Rat posted:

I'm betting they really didn't expect to get to nemesis games at all.

I think you're probably right.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It actually really was. Those couple books were my favourite of the series.

That's fine- I thought it killed the momentum of the series. Maybe when I do a reread I'll appreciate it more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gfarrell80 posted:

I just re-watched Ep 4 and I think we're applying something to Marco that isn't there. In his speech at the end of the ep he does say he recognizes Mars and Earth's right to exist. He's not attempting to wipe out thirty billion people.

:getin:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

very lol post in any case, falling for fictional hamhanded propaganda

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Mars having a right to exist that ends at its own atmosphere is pretty funny since they're not self sufficient. And sure, all of the 1300 new worlds belong belong to less than 1% of humanity. Marco is a reasonable man!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Marco is what happens if you let one of those coal miners who thinks that his job is going away because coal miners with middle school educations are being unfairly singled out, not that his skills are no longer relevant, him have access to nuclear weapons.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Mars having a right to exist that ends at its own atmosphere is pretty funny since they're not self sufficient. And sure, all of the 1300 new worlds belong belong to less than 1% of humanity. Marco is a reasonable man!

That was such an amazing part of his speech, lmfao

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd argue that he wasn't poo poo if he managed to do what he did to earth

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
All the Expanse villains are kind of the same, anyway. A semi-sociopath blowhard who thinks he is smarter than he is, and has [a magic power.] Mao's magic power was money, much like Book!Dresden's. Murtry's power was a gun. Marco's power is supervillain charisma. The problem is that they don't write him with much charisma but a whole lot of blowhard, and so, you kind of sit there going 'wait, people fall for this?' even though the wider point of Marco is that, yeah, they do, and Marco was in just the right place - and just the right decoy - to do incredible damage.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

kerwyn posted:

you know

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

All the Expanse villains are kind of the same, anyway. A semi-sociopath blowhard who thinks he is smarter than he is, and has [a magic power.] Mao's magic power was money, much like Book!Dresden's. Murtry's power was a gun. Marco's power is supervillain charisma. The problem is that they don't write him with much charisma but a whole lot of blowhard, and so, you kind of sit there going 'wait, people fall for this?' even though the wider point of Marco is that, yeah, they do, and Marco was in just the right place - and just the right decoy - to do incredible damage.

OK but to be fair Duarte does gain magic powers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

pik_d posted:

OK but to be fair Duarte does gain magic powers.

Haha, true. Might be why he's been the one I've found most interesting in the novels. Sad we probably won't get to see him in the series. Should've cast Bezos.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I still think Edward James Olmos. Besides the similarities in the description, Duarte is in many ways an evil Adama

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have always pictured book Trejo as being portrayed by Danny Trejo and I will not hear otherwise.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I know the protomolecule has accomplished its purpose in the sol system and is likely to sit inert if someone were to bring it out of containment and prod it, but I would love to see what horror would ensue if that was not the case and the Inaros faction tries playing with the very dangerous thing nobody understands.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Defiance Industries posted:

I still think Edward James Olmos. Besides the similarities in the description, Duarte is in many ways an evil Adama

If we could get BSG-era Olmos, then that would be perfect. I think he's a little old now, though. My fan cast recently has been Clancy Brown.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have always pictured book Trejo as being portrayed by Danny Trejo and I will not hear otherwise.

:same:

I always liked the idea of Duarte being played by Giancarlo Esposito, but he's in everything these days. (I still like the idea)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

:same:

I always liked the idea of Duarte being played by Giancarlo Esposito, but he's in everything these days. (I still like the idea)

I've been fan casting Duarte with Lance Reddik recently, just to bring another Wire alumni on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Haha, true. Might be why he's been the one I've found most interesting in the novels. Sad we probably won't get to see him in the series. Should've cast Bezos.

Ol' Jeff heard someone say this and that's why the series was cancelled, because he finally realized he wasn't Holden, he was JP Mao all along.