Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

slave to my cravings posted:

Depends on if it fermented at all at room temp. Might not be as bubbly and flavor profile might not be the same but it’s probably still fine to use. Did it double in size?

Oh yeah I let it rise at room temp for longer than anticipated. Meant to do 12 hours but it wound up being more like 18. It definitely rose up 2x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea I would just use it then if you want to make pizza tonight. It seems like whenever I do a cold ferment it can be odd to shape it right out of the fridge so see how it feels and maybe let it warm up a bit before shaping into the pie. If it’s stiff when you shape it and springs back give it a rest for 10-15 min and try again.

Here is a pizza I made the other day using 4hr room temp ferment and cold ferment for 3 days:

On another note I think I’m going to stop using the broiler set to high for the final 2-3 min of baking. Using the broiler on low seems to get the same crispness without burning the crust and toppings as much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The difference between high and low broil on my oven is like 1st gear versus 4th gear. You have to watch the high broil constantly or else your poo poo is burned.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What canned San Marzanos do y’all like for pizza sauce now that the Carmelinas that Doom Rooster recommended awhile back aren’t available on Amazon anymore?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

What canned San Marzanos do y’all like for pizza sauce now that the Carmelinas that Doom Rooster recommended awhile back aren’t available on Amazon anymore?

i just use Cento and they seem fine

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've been using Italbrand because they're cheapish and have the legit seal on them.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Strianese was the #2 in our old taste test, and they are what I've moved onto personally. Slightly watery, otherwise good. I would LOVE other recommendations to try though.

The Cento's were in the top third if I remember correctly, but they had a distinct underripe tomato sourness in with the rest of the good flavor that I didn't love.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Yea I would just use it then if you want to make pizza tonight. It seems like whenever I do a cold ferment it can be odd to shape it right out of the fridge so see how it feels and maybe let it warm up a bit before shaping into the pie. If it’s stiff when you shape it and springs back give it a rest for 10-15 min and try again.

It ended up pretty good. This is my first cold ferment pizza dough I've done so I'm pleased.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yea looks good I’m gonna make some more pizza tomorrow

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

I. M. Gei posted:

DiNapoli all the way, best tasting tomatoes from the can, family owned and run in Southern California, and Rob DiNapoli is a truly nice dude. A lot of pizza makers around here like Ciao as well, which is also super solid.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How is Alessi? I’ve got a can of their San marzanos sitting around until pizza inspiration strikes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey I forgot all about this thread. Tried doing a sourdough neapolitan style for the first time, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Margarita

Prime rib, caramelized onion and mushroom, and gruyere

Apple, kalamata, and half goat cheese, half triple cream

Spicy salami

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gave up on centos after the last few cans required me to search through all the tomatoes and remove parts with spoiled spots, unpeeled sections and hard, unripened ends. loving trash.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey I forgot all about this thread. Tried doing a sourdough neapolitan style for the first time, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Your Pizzas look great!
How would you describe the taste compared to a traditional Neapolitanian Pizza?

I just recently started getting into sourdough baking. Could you give the recipe you used?
I only have a rye sourdough right now but plan to start a wheat one too as soon as I have a bit more experience.

I also made Pizza yesterday but was so greedy I ate it before taking pictures :shrug:
I think I took it out if the fridge too early though as it was a bit flat in the end.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Malefitz posted:

Your Pizzas look great!
How would you describe the taste compared to a traditional Neapolitanian Pizza?

I just recently started getting into sourdough baking. Could you give the recipe you used?
I only have a rye sourdough right now but plan to start a wheat one too as soon as I have a bit more experience.

I also made Pizza yesterday but was so greedy I ate it before taking pictures :shrug:
I think I took it out if the fridge too early though as it was a bit flat in the end.

This is the recipe I used. I like almost all of his recipes, in fact. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in flavor. My starter (and these recipes) are not using super ripe sour starter. It is a fantastic crust though, and is really easy to work with and shape.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

BraveUlysses posted:

gave up on centos after the last few cans required me to search through all the tomatoes and remove parts with spoiled spots, unpeeled sections and hard, unripened ends. loving trash.

Same here, and they seem to be much harder than other canned tomatoes so they don't break down as easily when making sauce (or tomato soup, or whatever).

I like DiNapoli, and Pomi is pretty good too although I think they only do crushed or strained tomatoes.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Casu Marzu posted:

This is the recipe I used. I like almost all of his recipes, in fact. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in flavor. My starter (and these recipes) are not using super ripe sour starter. It is a fantastic crust though, and is really easy to work with and shape.

Thanks!
I will make sure to take a look at the other recipes on the website.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

holy gently caress, looking good

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

toplitzin posted:

So...

it turns out...

Yes.

Yes you loving can.

Half sausage, half pineapple, all jalapeno, pepperoni, and bell peppers.

yup yup yup

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Casu Marzu posted:

Margarita

Prime rib, caramelized onion and mushroom, and gruyere

Apple, kalamata, and half goat cheese, half triple cream

Spicy salami

i would destroy each of those as well op. good job.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
We did a thing and started a small pizzeria downtown, this weekend we put out a special for a post-Christmas pizza called the "You'll Shoot Your Pie Out."
It's a crab rangoon pizza, weird and awesome and we sold quite a bit! Crab rangoon goodness with a touch of mozz, topped with green onions, fresh fried wonton crisps, and a spicy sweet and sour sauce made with local peppers from a friend of ours.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Hell yea looks good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ogopogo posted:

We did a thing and started a small pizzeria downtown, this weekend we put out a special for a post-Christmas pizza called the "You'll Shoot Your Pie Out."
It's a crab rangoon pizza, weird and awesome and we sold quite a bit! Crab rangoon goodness with a touch of mozz, topped with green onions, fresh fried wonton crisps, and a spicy sweet and sour sauce made with local peppers from a friend of ours.

hell yes

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Where is the cream cheese.

Honestly being in Nebraska taught me about cream cheese dollops on pizza and I feel it would party well on this for a true American Chinese flair.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Where is the cream cheese.

Honestly being in Nebraska taught me about cream cheese dollops on pizza and I feel it would party well on this for a true American Chinese flair.

It’s mixed in with the imitation crab ;)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjUWnAK0cg

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenji's NY style dough w/ pepperoni, pineapple, onion, and pickled jalapeno.

I need to get a peel so I can do larger pies. This is def a lot thicker than I prefer, it would be just about right w/ a 16" pizza.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I had never really done like a big pan pizza before and I tried to make Kenji's detroit pizza in a big sheet pan and it came out AWFUL

I mean it's like edible but the cheese was completely burned after 13 minutes with the crust not nearly done.

I looked in the Forkish book and for his pan pizza he just parbakes the crust/sauce only for 10 mins then finishes it with cheese/toppings on. Feels like this is what I should have done.

I don't know how Kenji pulls off his recipe without the cheese burning?

On Joshua Weissman's youtube video where he makes a big sheet pan sicilian video, he cooks it for 20-25 minutes at 550 and I REALLY don't know how he doesn't obliterate the cheese in that time.

What am I missing here?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

How high in the oven is your rack? In my oven I put the pie on the very bottom to avoid the cheese getting destroyed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is my lovely pan pizza, like I said the flavor is like ok I guess I mean I can eat it but I can make really good pizza the normal way so it was disappointing to have one come out this bad, even if it was my first time trying sheet pan pizza

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

How high in the oven is your rack? In my oven I put the pie on the very bottom to avoid the cheese getting destroyed.

In the middle I guess

I was wondering if maybe the fact that I have a pizza steel interacted with this negatively, neither Kenji nor Weismann said to preheat the oven for the normal hour+ so I didn't because I was worried about the steel burning the bottom after that but I think I had it backwards, it seems like maybe if you don't, the steel will suck the heat out of the bottom and actually keep it from cooking properly maybe.

I can try putting it at the bottom next time, does that make that much of a difference?

To me also Kenji's 3% salt seemed really salty, other recipes I use have used around 2% and so the crust just seems insanely salty, or maybe my scale hosed up when I was putting the salt in I dunno, it's not usually a problem I have though

edit: I looked at other recipes and maybe 3% isn't that much higher than normal, I must have accidentally oversalted it somehow but I'm not sure how when I was using a scale

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 16, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you cooking on a stone? Even with a pan it helps.

Be sure to use enough oil, try lowering your dough hydration, put the pan on a lower rack, use more sauce . I usually do 15 at 500 for my pan pies.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you cooking on a stone? Even with a pan it helps.

Be sure to use enough oil, try lowering your dough hydration, put the pan on a lower rack, use more sauce . I usually do 15 at 500 for my pan pies.

Yeah I have a steel, see above post, I think not preheating the steel for an hour may have hosed me

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Definitely does if you're putting it the steel.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Definitely does if you're putting it the steel.

Ok I'll try preheating the steel like normal and doing it on the bottom rack next time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah if you parcook it next time it will probably turn out pretty good. i have no idea how those other guys don't parcook big sheets unless the crust is really thin but anything that involves the dough touching cold metal when it goes in the oven is a good indicator that a parcook will help

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah if you parcook it next time it will probably turn out pretty good. i have no idea how those other guys don't parcook big sheets unless the crust is really thin but anything that involves the dough touching cold metal when it goes in the oven is a good indicator that a parcook will help

Yeah tbh I had my suspicions when I was like how is this not gonna burn the cheese if I'm just putting it in there for 15 mins when I would normally cook a pizza for like 5-6, I should have listened to my instincts haha

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just cook on the lowest rung the rack can go in my oven. I've done the detroit style pan on top of my steel, too:

Same with the sicilian sheet pan style:

I will say, for the Detroit style specifically, the blackened pan makes a HUGE difference in the crust done-ness level. It crisps up really really nicely in the Lloyd pans detroit style pan.

e: Also, to me, I fuckin love cheese that's browned as well as the pic you posted. I wouldn't call that too burned personally, but that's just my own taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I just cook on the lowest rung the rack can go in my oven. I've done the detroit style pan on top of my steel, too:

Same with the sicilian sheet pan style:

I will say, for the Detroit style specifically, the blackened pan makes a HUGE difference in the crust done-ness level. It crisps up really really nicely in the Lloyd pans detroit style pan.

e: Also, to me, I fuckin love cheese that's browned as well as the pic you posted. I wouldn't call that too burned personally, but that's just my own taste.

Well it's also just more that like the crust wasn't browned at all so that was like the very last time I would consider the cheese even edible haha so it was like drat if I cook the crust to done this really is gonna be beyond hosed

I'll try the suggestions everyone mentioned. I'm not even sure why I bothered that hard, my non pan pizzas are really good so I feel like I went out of my way to make something that both came out worse and is way more unhealthy, haha. I just want to know that i can do it I guess.