Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When not using them as speedbumps for Brock, the henchmen are more just helping hands anyway. Hence him coming full circle by having his renovators dress up in the old costumes. (and becoming his new henchmen in his fantasy)

The logistics of henchmen are fun. Reminded that the CG TMNT cartoon eventually had Shredder order the construction of new robotic henchmen after his lieutenants inform him that they're running critically low on Foot Clan ninjas, presumably casualties in fights with the Turtles and other threats, or ran off because at that point Shredder himself is the one of the only humans left in the Foot's leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Henchmen aren’t that great. They interrupt you while you’re jackin’ it just because they want juice.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

Henchmen aren’t that great. They interrupt you while you’re jackin’ it just because they want juice.

Oh, lookee here, we have a visit from r/HenchmanFree!

Look, it's a pretty common goal of a villain and villainess to want as many henchmen as they can comfortably afford to have. Even a badass like Queen Etheria, who would soon become Dr. Girlfriend, loved the idea that her future with the Mighty Monarch would include the henchmen--lots of them--that they'd have together.

Are henchmen expensive? Yes, if all you look at is the monetary cost. You have to house them, clothe them, feed them, look after them, and hope that they appreciate you and respect you. Or, failing the appreciation and respect, you expect them to at least obey you while they're living under the roof that you provide for them. But the intangible rewards you get from a close-knit group of loyal henchmen who have your back because you've had theirs? You can't put a price on that.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Oh, lookee here, we have a visit from r/HenchmanFree!

Look, it's a pretty common goal of a villain and villainess to want as many henchmen as they can comfortably afford to have. Even a badass like Queen Etheria, who would soon become Dr. Girlfriend, loved the idea that her future with the Mighty Monarch would include the henchmen--lots of them--that they'd have together.

Are henchmen expensive? Yes, if all you look at is the monetary cost. You have to house them, clothe them, feed them, look after them, and hope that they appreciate you and respect you. Or, failing the appreciation and respect, you expect them to at least obey you while they're living under the roof that you provide for them. But the intangible rewards you get from a close-knit group of loyal henchmen who have your back because you've had theirs? You can't put a price on that.

Wow... so it’s like a big family AND you get access to high tech guns and a giant headquarters? How do I join? Do I need a college diploma?

Anyone who has never dreamed of raiding a building while screaming for his Minions to attack is somebody I have no wish to drink with. Also do you have an arch?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DogsInSpace! posted:

Do I need a college diploma?

I hate that as soon as I read that i was all “24 only has a GED and 21 didn’t even finish 8th grade!”

I could clean up at a venture brothers trivia game, I’ve seen this show like a dozen times this year from having it running in the background while I’ve been stuck at home.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine if Monarch does get a new crew of henchmen conditions for them will be a bit better than before since Gary is now the #2

Definitely do wonder how high the death rate is for henchmen working for villains who don't regularly go up agains Brock Samson types, I imagine it must be a fair bit more reasonable, though it probablu is still high enough that Henchman is probably in the Top 10 most dangerous jobs list

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine if Monarch does get a new crew of henchmen conditions for them will be a bit better than before since Gary is now the #2

Definitely do wonder how high the death rate is for henchmen working for villains who don't regularly go up agains Brock Samson types, I imagine it must be a fair bit more reasonable, though it probablu is still high enough that Henchman is probably in the Top 10 most dangerous jobs list

Most of the Monarch’s henchman are suicidal, so that probably ups their death rate on top of the fighting Brock thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The life of a henchman is just overall bad. You're not allowed to actually kill the protagonists you go up against, but they can kill as many henchmen as they want.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

The life of a henchman is just overall bad. You're not allowed to actually kill the protagonists you go up against, but they can kill as many henchmen as they want.

21 got his wings because they thought he offed a protagonist. The disco sound guy who just laughed himself to death.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

drrockso20 posted:

Sgt Hatreds crew were horrified by Brock going ham their first encounter. I imagine they’re used to being tied up in a big group and dropped into the local prison yard because Cap Sunshine doesn’t understand the base concept of due process. Not so much disemboweled with a bowie knife while your buddy is mulched against a wall with a lawnmower.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC the henchmen actually had a higher (primarily offscreen) death count from Hatred, since he actually uses guns.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One of my favorite scenes in the series was when they were rehanging the video screen and one of the henchmen fell off the ladder when it came back on suddenly, and a random henchman just points down like a two year old.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the henchmen actually had a higher (primarily offscreen) death count from Hatred, since he actually uses guns.

Plus he did y'know, blow up the entire Cocoon by shooting it with his hovertank

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pablo gbscobar posted:

Plus he did y'know, blow up the entire Cocoon by shooting it with his hovertank

Ha, easy to forget about that. Brock's whole deal is that on paper he's like, level 4 or 3, being an ordinary human bodyguard who doesn't even carry a gun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, but even Brock was looking for a gun under Hatred's desk when the Blackout team showed up in Venture Tower. I think he still thinks guns are fruity, but he's not an idiot.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but even Brock was looking for a gun under Hatred's desk when the Blackout team showed up in Venture Tower. I think he still thinks guns are fruity, but he's not an idiot.

I think at that point he’s come around to gun since he tries to draw his when he’s hungover after getting banged by warriana.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still convinced he only reached for that gun so he could throw it later. Its the Samson way

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECgsa-_BQY

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wow... so it’s like a big family AND you get access to high tech guns and a giant headquarters? How do I join? Do I need a college diploma?

Anyone who has never dreamed of raiding a building while screaming for his Minions to attack is somebody I have no wish to drink with. Also do you have an arch?

I can already feel my life getting better.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God, now I've just got a hankering to play Evil Genius again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the games that needs to be made is a Saints Row style crime sandbox where you're a flat out supervillain, gimmicks and all, with missions and events based around supervillainous schemes and fighting heroes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

I think at that point he’s come around to gun since he tries to draw his when he’s hungover after getting banged by warriana.

I can't remember, but I think he was trying to "draw" his signature knife and fumbles it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that was his knife.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole bit in NYC is that he carries a gun, but it's not loaded, presuming complying with the letter of his orders.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole bit in NYC is that he carries a gun, but it's not loaded, presuming complying with the letter of his orders.

I really wish he used it as a projectile and really made it part of his NYC combat moves. Just throw it like a batterrang complete with 70s fwoosh and swoosh sounds effects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nilbop posted:

God, now I've just got a hankering to play Evil Genius again.

Evil Genius 2 is supposed to come out sometime in 2021.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Oh I know. Looks hype, too!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dean! Have you been shooting dope into your scrotum?!

Shortly after: "It's like a bucket full of payday bars in there"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fartington Butts posted:

Dean! Have you been shooting dope into your scrotum?!

Shortly after: "It's like a bucket full of payday bars in there"

Billy I don't need to know what you did in there!
White! I remember! I remember... everything... wait you you were there!

These are different episodes aren't they, how many times has Billy had a character moment in the bathroom?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just rewatched the episode where Killenger tried to make Doc Venture into a super villain and I'd love to see an AU season of Doc vs JJ.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

8one6 posted:

Just rewatched the episode where Killenger tried to make Doc Venture into a super villain and I'd love to see an AU season of Doc vs JJ.

Jesus, that would be awesome. Dr. Orpheus the only one who knows Things Are Not As They Should Be.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

I'm quite fond of that episode.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

8one6 posted:

Same. The level of effort they go through for Manhowers is hilarious.

e: YOU SAID IT KILLER. AND YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT IT IB THE BIBLE

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

e: YOU SAID IT KILLER. AND YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT IT IB THE BIBLE

As much as I loved Killinger's closing line in the stars, Manhower's final tag is just hilarious, and one of the sharpest pre-credits lines in the series.

Then again, I also loved "Who the hell was that?" as a pre-credits line, so... I may be weird.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

They turned smash cuts into an art form. It’s one of my favorite things about the show.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Having just heard the news about MF DOOM, I have to say it's a real shame that they never managed to get him to cameo on the show at some point considering how closely he worked with AS during their mid-00s heyday and the fact that he's practically a real-life VB character.

I always felt like DOOM's music shared a lot of the same aesthetic sensibilities as Venture Bros with the way both repurpose silver age comics and mediate a lot on the nature of supervillainy, and it's a real shame that those two universes were never given a chance to collide.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

They turned smash cuts into an art form. It’s one of my favorite things about the show.

Oh yes. Nobody does it quite as well. The only show that comes close is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and they're only occasionally funny with the smash cut to title card. In fact, only one is in the same ballpark as the typical--typical--VB smash cut to end credits, and that was the episode where Mac works himself up and exclaims, "I'm going to save my dad's life!"

Smash cut to the title card: "Mac Kills His Dad." Good stuff.

But VB... you're right, it's an art form.

Hank: "Time out!!"

It doesn't hurt that the closing theme is ridiculously awesome, in both the1-minute version and in the full version. I'd love to see random show's closing moments, or even movies, end with that music behind some fast-rolling credits. Imagine a Marvel movie with no mid-credits scenes, but before the post-credits scene, you have the end of the film, and then smash cut to the full version of "Tuff." Then, the post-credits stuff.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pablo gbscobar posted:

Having just heard the news about MF DOOM, I have to say it's a real shame that they never managed to get him to cameo on the show at some point considering how closely he worked with AS during their mid-00s heyday and the fact that he's practically a real-life VB character.

I always felt like DOOM's music shared a lot of the same aesthetic sensibilities as Venture Bros with the way both repurpose silver age comics and mediate a lot on the nature of supervillainy, and it's a real shame that those two universes were never given a chance to collide.

Goddamn that's not the news I wanted to hear. 2020 just had to get in one last gently caress you before it was over.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Goddamn that's not the news I wanted to hear. 2020 just had to get in one last gently caress you before it was over.

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of Bowie dying in a weird way. There was so much unrealized potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

If it helps at all he died on Halloween they just didn’t tell anyone.