Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Put it face down 😳

Face down, strap up, that's the way I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's on a charger that keeps it in bed side mode. Putting it face down isn't an option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turn off bedside mode in the Watch app general settings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

But I like bedside mode 99% of the time. I just don't want the screen turning itself to max brightness five minutes BEFORE the alarm goes off. If it did it when the alarm went off that would be okay. Why is it waking me up before I told it to?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Set the alarm five mins later?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
The Russians just used an Apple Pencil

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So unpairing and repairing my watch at least got me my battery life and workout location data back, but now my Move tracker isn’t working at all. Unless I’m in such good shape that I burned 0 calories taking my dog for a three mile walk. :sigh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't want the alarm to be five minutes later. The light doesn't always wake me up but does it enough to be annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turn the stand around?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Get up the five minutes later and do your morning routine a little slower.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

None of these are "change this setting to get it to stop doing that," which is what I'm looking for here. I'm not rearranging my table or changing my schedule because some idiot at Apple doesn't know what an alarm clock is or how it works.

I would even be fine with the watch not doing any alarm things, but you can't tell the sleep stuff to only be on your phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vince MechMahon posted:

None of these are "change this setting to get it to stop doing that," which is what I'm looking for here. I'm not rearranging my table or changing my schedule because some idiot at Apple doesn't know what an alarm clock is or how it works.

I would even be fine with the watch not doing any alarm things, but you can't tell the sleep stuff to only be on your phone.

Someone already gave you a “change thus setting to get it to stop doing that” solution:

But you don’t want to turn off the “turn the screen on to wake me up gently” feature which is the same feature you’re complaining about so I dunno, go buy some mini sticky notes and draw a clock on it and stick it over the screen when you go to sleep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much of a rage do you explode into if something wakes you up 10 minutes early?

I'll agree it's a stupid decision by Apple, but on the other hand, getting up five minutes early is not a big deal at all.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You could use AutoSleep, the watch seems actually way overrated without it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Help, my family is dying. I want to wake up 5 minutes later

Set your alarm 5 minutes later

No

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Usually the solution to any weird Apple usability quirk is to buy an Apple Watch. But what happens when the usability issue IS the Apple Watch Who watches the Apple Watchmen

I upgraded to a series 6 and got $85 for my nearly 3 year old series 3. It felt weird upgrading primarily because I wanted new watch faces, but the ever so slightly larger screen really does make everything work nicer, especially with the extra complications.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Help, my family is dying. I want to wake up 5 minutes later

Set your alarm 5 minutes later

No

My alarm is set for the time I want to wake up. I want the alarm to go off when it's set. However the watch face and the face alone, not the sounds or anything, turns itself to max brightness five minutes before that time. This does not always wake me up, it depends on the position I'm in, but it happens enough to be annoying when it does.

I don't want to turn off bed side mode because that also controls the watch face when it's on the charger, which I like. If there is a way to turn one off but not the other that I don't know, please tell me. If you can't turn off one and not the other, that's a really bad design decision.

I should also add it never did this before the last round of major os updates.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vince MechMahon posted:

There’s a post about this posted on Apple’s discussion forums dated to November 2015.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wish a glowing watch screen was enough to wake me up, I have to set like 5 different alarms.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ve been using the watch as a wrist alarm along with sunrise lights and it’s really nice, especially since my spouse can sleep in a little without an extra alarm. By the time I shower and get ready to head out the door it’s charged.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah, no, pretty sure this has been around for quite a while.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Surprised there aren’t 500 accessory vendors selling little curtains for a nightstand mode charging stand

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the 44mm SE for $250.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Watch-SE-GPS-44mm-Space-Gray-Aluminum-Case-with-Black-Sport-Band-Regular/460386378

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I disable notifications from friends that they’ve completed a workout or closed a ring, but still keep the competition notifications?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Pick the friend in the activity/fitness share tab and choose „disable notifications“? That does still get me the „you’ve done the maximum points“ and „you’ve won/lost“ and „new competition y/n“ messages.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have a S3 watch, but I'm planning to pick up an S6 and start using Fitness+.

I know current watch owners get a free month of Fitness+, and new Watch purchases get 3 free months. Will these stack? Or will starting with my 1 free month on my current watch prevent me from getting the 3 free months with a new watch?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Usually the promos are tied to the apple id and only one promo per account so no stacking

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They stack to a degree. The Best Buy offer for 6 months is a 3 month that stacks on top of the existing 3 months, and the other Best Buy offer for members to get a 2 month trials is an extra month that stacks on top both of the aforementioned trials.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Yup I’m getting weird refund amounts each month; like 1.50 from Apple Music and fitness + since I signed up to apple 1 and got a few free months

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does anyone know if there's an expiration date for that 3-month Fitness+ trial? I was planning on saving it for a mid-2021 move; I'll have a stationary bike and not be in a noisy apartment (I don't want to be "that guy" on the second floor.)

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

enojy posted:

Does anyone know if there's an expiration date for that 3-month Fitness+ trial? I was planning on saving it for a mid-2021 move; I'll have a stationary bike and not be in a noisy apartment (I don't want to be "that guy" on the second floor.)

I think 60 days.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Is the series 6 really worth it?

I was thinking about picking up the SE for $200, but I'm considering just saving up for the series 6 because of the always on display.

Does the always on display really make the price difference worth it?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is the series 6 really worth it?

I was thinking about picking up the SE for $200, but I'm considering just saving up for the series 6 because of the always on display.

Does the always on display really make the price difference worth it?

I turned off the always on display. It was distracting. For me the price difference probably wasn't worth it, but if I ever want to turn it back on I can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think always on is worth it, it's for aesthetics only. As soon as you tilt the watch towards your face it lights up just like always so you personally get almost nothing out of it.

When it is in dim mode it's pretty useless, wife was hoping to be able to use it to count seconds while taking someone's pulse but when it goes dim the second hand disappears and there's no setting to keep the display lit long enough to check a patient's pulse. Granted that's a relatively uncommon use case but it does point out it's pretty hard to find a practical use for the always on.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I turned off the always on display. It was distracting. For me the price difference probably wasn't worth it, but if I ever want to turn it back on I can.

Same for me.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Interesting... I absolutely love the AOD on my series 5. It is dim, sure, but at a glance I can see activity for the day, weather, etc...

I was very annoyed having to twist my wrist to see information... and sometimes contorting my arm so that the accelerometer would detect a 'wrist twist'.

It seems to really depend on the user. :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I love the AOD, it just feels more like a normal watch that way. I wasn’t bothered by it’s absence but once I got it it’s hard to imagine going back. It lighting up is barely noticeable with some faces (iirc it’s one of the „features“ of the 6 compared to the 5) even.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Everyone I know that has an apple watch has to do the wrist flick to check the time, and as someone that wears a regular watch everyday, I think that I would find this really annoying.

I'll probably just wait for a sale or price drop on the series 6.

I also wish that the series 6 had a 38mm option because 40mm is pushing it for my tiny wrists and 44mm just looks embarrassingly large on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I don’t have the AOD and I have to make this big over-exaggerated motion to turn on the screen to glance at the time because it’s the only reliable way to get it to turn on other than tapping on the screen. A quick flip works most of the time, but the times that it fails to register seem to always happen at the most inconvenient moments so I just always make a big motion. AOD on my next watch is gonna be amazing.