Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Either way I got my wife's meds and gtfo after of course buying a discount pork loin for char sui this week.
I now have 'char sui generis' in my head and I'm not sure what that would be, but definitely a unique dish.

e: Acid Red 158 is a double azo dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My mum runs a residential nursing home so she’s already had her first jab and been able to book in all of her carers for theirs, but apparently since they’ve managed to avoid any COVID in the home among the residents 10% of the carers are refusing to get the vaccine because they either “don’t believe in the virus anyway” or are anti-vaccine nutters.

Nothing can be done about that, so they just get to keep on interacting with the most vulnerable people in society and rolling the dice on their behalf despite everyone else being on board and every other precaution being taken.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Today the breadroll aisle, milk aisle and premade sandwiches were decimated at ASDA. Christmas? Panic buying or stuff stuck at Calais? Who knows? Either way I got my wife's meds and gtfo after of course buying a discount pork loin for char sui this week.

Why bread rolls though? Bread exit? Bredxit?

We're pretty much self-sufficient in carbs in this country (and there's shitloads of bread even at the lovely little Tesco that somehow manages to run out of milk every couple of days around here) so probably just a lorry broke down or something.

Oh yeah, LV2YV-53JTB-IK7PF is Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - never liked the show (loved the original but I was like 8 and it had pew pew lasers), don't like RTSes that much, picked it for a mate who likes both and it turns out had already paid full price - his pain is the pleasure of some UKMT rando.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

Fun fact. My sister did the costumes for that video!

This is a fun fact!

Mebh posted:

Socrates was basically the worlds first "Well actually" guy.

This, however, is not fun or a fact and you take that back :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he wasn't very well actually at the end.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Niric posted:

This, however, is not fun or a fact and you take that back :mad:

I'm totally willing to be wrong! He just struck me as the guy who at a party would swing out of nowhere into your conversation about how poo poo the government is to say something like "ah but what does poo poo mean? Is poo poo truly bad? If everything is poo poo, is not nothing poo poo?" did you know some good people do poo poo things too? So how can you also say bad people are the only poo poo ones? Etc etc.

My knowledge of him honestly only extends from playing AC odyssey over lockdown and him being my favourite npc.

I like the idea of him as a proto corbyn as discussed earlier in the thread though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We're pretty much self-sufficient in carbs in this country (and there's shitloads of bread even at the lovely little Tesco that somehow manages to run out of milk every couple of days around here) so probably just a lorry broke down or something.

Yeah, here in the garden / toilet of England, supermarket was eerily quiet this afternoon, and also like.. Overflowingly well stocked.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

I'm totally willing to be wrong! He just struck me as the guy who at a party would swing out of nowhere into your conversation about how poo poo the government is to say something like "ah but what does poo poo mean? Is poo poo truly bad? If everything is poo poo, is not nothing poo poo?" did you know some good people do poo poo things too? So how can you also say bad people are the only poo poo ones? Etc etc.

My knowledge of him honestly only extends from playing AC odyssey over lockdown and him being my favourite npc.

I like the idea of him as a proto corbyn as discussed earlier in the thread though.

Socrates (through Plato) was more about getting people to examine their assumptions and ideas they take for granted than just sowing scepticism for scepticism sake. Like, in your example he'd be more interested in using that comment about the government being poo poo to ask you what a good government would be like, and probing you about what it means to answer that question. Then you end up with The Republic, which for a book well over a couple of thousand years old is not too shabby

I was mostly doing a silly bit in rushing in to defend the honour of Socrates in TYOOL 2020, but now it seems like I'm actually just defending the honour of Socrates in TYOOL 2020 so I don't even know what's real any more

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Opinions about Socrates tend to go like that joke about the American Civil War.

People who don't know much about Socrates learn a little about about him and say that he sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

People who know a decent amount about him say ah, yes, he may have been obnoxious, but he was incredibly important to the development of Western philosophy, played a massive part in the development of Greek thinking, etc.

People who know a lot about him say that he was pretty much an rear end in a top hat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AC Odyssey's portrayal of Socrates as incredibly insufferable accurately represented my impression of him from the little Plato I've read. Or rather insufferable but endearing somehow.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The one thing that every contemporary author seems to agree on about Socrates is that he could be *really* annoying to argue with.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

AC Odyssey's portrayal of Socrates as incredibly insufferable accurately represented my impression of him from the little Plato I've read. Or rather insufferable but endearing somehow.

Insufferable but endearing is a very good description. There is no way I'd want to hang around with him for sure, but that's pretty much every philosopher ever. Except my man Davey Hume, but he was a big ol' racist* so maybe that's not a fun night out either

* likely no more so than any other given 18th century scotsman, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd still love to see a philosophy fight between Immanuel Kant and Frantz Fanon if we're doing the "potentially interesting ideas marred by being an irredeemably racist shite" thing. Or Fanon and Schopenhauer in a similar way to a lesser degree. Refereed by Steve Biko and Quayshawn Spencer to make up for centuries of 'impartiality' in the opposite direction with two divergent standpoints. Hume and Boole being ran through a similar wringer might yield interesting thought too, in the latter case less so because he was a particularly outwardly unpleasant person by modern standards and more because I'd be interested in seeing where it ended up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niric posted:

2020 so I don't even know what's real any more

Yup that's everyone

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
An american friend shared a video interviewing a nurse who said there were people in ICU (or whatever the US equivalent is) dying of covid-19, who were STILL denying it was real and convincing themselves it must be something else, even lung cancer rather than admit it was covid-19 but most tragic, refusing to say 'goodbyes' to relatives because it's all a hoax and they're not going to die!

:smdh:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Yup that's everyone

In-loving-deed.

E: ^ yikes. That's really sad and enraging at the same time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

An american friend shared a video interviewing a nurse who said there were people in ICU (or whatever the US equivalent is) dying of covid-19, who were STILL denying it was real and convincing themselves it must be something else, even lung cancer rather than admit it was covid-19 but most tragic, refusing to say 'goodbyes' to relatives because it's all a hoax and they're not going to die!

:smdh:

the threads in The Goon Doctor are worth a read (but please behave well in them :ohdear:)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the threads in The Goon Doctor are worth a read (but please behave well in them :ohdear:)

Which bit is The Goon Doctor in?

Ed: found it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=183

for anyone else who might be interested.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 28, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A large pile of UKMT goons acting like drunk footy fans in the medical forum.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Judging Socrates entirely from the character in the Dialogues seems to be as fair as judging you entirely from your uni essays. You'd probably seem a lot more pompous and insufferable than you are in real life.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Shopping this morning sometime.

Gonna be interesting...

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Ravel posted:

Judging Socrates entirely from the character in the Dialogues seems to be as fair as judging you entirely from your uni essays.

An incoherent mess of half baked ideas, run on sentences, and the occasional reference, clearly stewed in a sleepless hangover and shot through with a tangible sense of panic?

My essays were OK though

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

MeinPanzer posted:

Opinions about Socrates tend to go like that joke about the American Civil War.

People who don't know much about Socrates learn a little about about him and say that he sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

People who know a decent amount about him say ah, yes, he may have been obnoxious, but he was incredibly important to the development of Western philosophy, played a massive part in the development of Greek thinking, etc.

People who know a lot about him say that he was pretty much an rear end in a top hat.

Both things can be true. A lot of historically important figures are huge gaping assholes too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1343153798265630720

Small chuckle for the morning.

Gist for screenreaders is the tweet corbyn made about not letting pharmaceutical companies lead the covid response, the twitter melt brigade whingeing about it, an article about countries vetoing a measure to remove copyright from the vaccines to increase availability especially for poorer countries, and then finally a picture of corbyn with the caption "I didn't think it would take only three days for me to be proven right"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 28, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Twitter loving sucks. That's my hot take

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Niric posted:

Socrates (through Plato) was more about getting people to examine their assumptions and ideas they take for granted than just sowing scepticism for scepticism sake. Like, in your example he'd be more interested in using that comment about the government being poo poo to ask you what a good government would be like, and probing you about what it means to answer that question. Then you end up with The Republic, which for a book well over a couple of thousand years old is not too shabby

I was mostly doing a silly bit in rushing in to defend the honour of Socrates in TYOOL 2020, but now it seems like I'm actually just defending the honour of Socrates in TYOOL 2020 so I don't even know what's real any more

The Republic loving sucks. How do you write a book that long that examines so many fundamental topics only to come out with "I'm the smartest just put me in charge guys" and also all the other dogshit opinions that the ancient Greek philosophers had like "dogs > women" and "the plane of foOoOoOrms!". Notice my restraint in not even touching their "mentoring programs".

I will never stop making GBS threads on ancient Greek philosophers or log off. Diogenes as an exception because he was mostly a performance piece.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From what I gather diogenes also spent most of his time making GBS threads on ancient greek philosophers, possibly literally.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Brits abroad definitely need killing

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1343454985758113793?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would definitely watch a film about rich british tourists attempting to escape stalag luft ski resort.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

From what I gather diogenes also spent most of his time making GBS threads on ancient greek philosophers, possibly literally.

“The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of defecations on Plato"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

tbf they should really have seen that coming

you're dealing with people who decided to go on holiday in the middle of a pandemic, obviously they don't give a poo poo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Philosophy talk.
Much of what we know about Socrates came from Plato's writings about him. And Plato was more interested (in the early days) of putting his words or his spin on Socrates words in his writings about Socrates.

So it comes across as "William Shatner presents William Shakespeare..."

His later works (like The Republic) had Plato more confident enough to put his own name to what he was saying because he was starting to get noticed by the political classes who wanted to take him on to educate their kids.
And since that was how a Philosopher could earn the Ancient Greek version of a TV deal, he was writing with that in mind, producing the idea of training kids to be Philospher Kings.

This idea was taken up and run with by Plato's pupil, Aristotle.
Aristotle got his shot to educate a Philosopher King with Alexander of Macedonia (AKA Alexander the Great*)
This showed that he both succeeded and failed.

*= Or when he is portrayed by Colin Farrell, Alexander the Bleeding Deadly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I hope we get some choice quotes if they're found at a border crossing and thrown in jail

[edit]
Plato/Aristotle, that is. The British tourists can just be thrown in Lake Geneva

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Question IRL posted:

Philosophy talk.
Much of what we know about Socrates came from Plato's writings about him. And Plato was more interested (in the early days) of putting his words or his spin on Socrates words in his writings about Socrates.

So it comes across as "William Shatner presents William Shakespeare..."

His later works (like The Republic) had Plato more confident enough to put his own name to what he was saying because he was starting to get noticed by the political classes who wanted to take him on to educate their kids.
And since that was how a Philosopher could earn the Ancient Greek version of a TV deal, he was writing with that in mind, producing the idea of training kids to be Philospher Kings.

This idea was taken up and run with by Plato's pupil, Aristotle.
Aristotle got his shot to educate a Philosopher King with Alexander of Macedonia (AKA Alexander the Great*)
This showed that he both succeeded and failed.

*= Or when he is portrayed by Colin Farrell, Alexander the Bleeding Deadly.

Do we actually have enough intact sources to make the TV deal assumption? I think it's equally likely they were just pompous idiots like Daniel Hanan.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

XMNN posted:

tbf they should really have seen that coming

you're dealing with people who decided to go on holiday in the middle of a pandemic, obviously they don't give a poo poo

I think a lot of them and there is no excuse have probably hosed off because the quarantine was retroactive, so all those that have been there since the 14th went in to quarantine for 10 days, so they more than likely thought they might as well go home.

Really stupid of them.

-Edit-

As someone who's been a few times, A) I wouldn't go in a pandemic & B) one of the best things about skiing is interacting with people pre and post skiing so what's the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 28, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I would definitely watch a film about rich british tourists attempting to escape stalag luft ski resort.

I've got good news for you:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Hey jab by, is there a labs thread in Goon Doctor?
Might be a good source of information and cases for my training, but I’ve not seen one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Miftan posted:

Do we actually have enough intact sources to make the TV deal assumption? I think it's equally likely they were just pompous idiots like Daniel Hanan.

Well getting a rich patreon was how Philosophers would have earned a living in those days.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Mebh posted:

Why bread rolls though? Bread exit? Bredxit?
Everyone cravin' them turkey & stuffing sandwiches. Gotta get the bread rolls fresh..!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd like to solicit the thread's opinion re: covid

On 18 Dec I got tested, positive (PCR, 95-99% accurate)
On 26 Dec I got tested, negative (unknown accuracy)

Assuming true results, then I stopped having covid in the last week or so, and would have had it for about 3 weeks (?) prior to that.

On 12 December my wife and I met 4 friends for hiking and eating at a 'covid-secure' pub (outdoor but covered table - but it was pretty snug). All of whom tested negative after I tracked and traced myself (since the NHS sure as poo poo didn't get in touch with me). So they definitely didn't catch it from me (if I had it at the time) and I'm fairly certain I couldn't have caught it from them, since i wouldn't have become negative so quickly (i think?). Neither my friends, me or my wife (who would certainly have caught it from me or vice versa) have shown any symptoms. We're all in our 30s.

In addition, my dad (age 69 (nice)) spent a few hours on 20 Dec (before we got our test results) at our place (in bubble) just prior to a planned trip before it all got cancelled amid the travel chaos and I would say would have almost certainly caught it from me if I had it. He tested negative on 18 Dec (PCR, 95-99% accurate) so we were a bit worried about a transmission, but hasn't shown any symptoms since, and it's been 8 days. I'm not sure what the prevalence of symptoms is for his age bracket.

Based on all this I'm thinking it was a false positive after all. Kinda wish I could get an antibody test and be sure. What I want an opinion on: does my reasoning make sense, have I missed anything obvious?