Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

Ben Solo's last word in the Palpatine Saga is "Ow."

Thanks JJ. Thanks Chris Terrio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Cameo posted:

The destruction of a planet is presented so indifferently, like “oh look they made a planet destroying laser that sits on the underbelly of a Star Destroyer. Ooo.” It’s shoved between Kylo talking to Han and Poe and Lando showing up and being like “FRIENDSHIP IS THE ANSWER!”; it also coming after we saw them blow up like five planets at once is, uh, a choice.

It's very telling how differently the destruction of a planet is in TFA and RoS compared to the use of the Death Star Rogue One, which is arguably the best of the Disney films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWENGFKQaL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtw-QWB7FGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QePwbyNv2bc

(I think this video cuts some bits of the sequence out but it's the best I can find)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxbnEqhEhI

And, of course, the original from A New Hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0IP-FVG2I

I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but I once saw it argued that the reason why the original scene of the Death Star firing is so effective because even if we don't care about Alderaan, we do care about Leia, and when her planet is threatened she has a clear and immediate emotional response. (And, this being the first film, it also serves as an effective showcase for the Empire's cruelty and disregard for human life as so clearly embodied by Tarkin).

Rogue One is clearly a flawed film, but one of the things it does really well is establish the Death Star as a terrifying, omnipotent threat that justifies the protagonists' willingness to sacrifice their lives. When it fires, it has an impact both because of the tremendous visuals and because it puts the protagonists directly in danger, to the point of outright killing them the second time. We still don't really care about Jeddah or Scarif, but there are few moments in the franchise as powerful as Jyn and Cassian dying on the beach only moments after completing their mission. (And as an aside, I really have to applaud the decision to have the Death Star only fire on 'low power' both times—we already know it can blow up a planet, but seeing the sheer devastation it can cause when they're holding back just emphasizes its power as a weapon of terror, and the visual of a massive chunk of the planet being blown out is straight-up more impactful than any of the full-sized planetary explosions).

By comparison, the degree to which both TFA and RoS fall flat is incredible. There's very little setup for either scene, the emotional impact is negligible, and the consequences on the plot and characters is practically nil. All these scenes serve to do is tell the audience "empire bad," which we already knew, and that they have planet-destroying superweapons, which gets a little stale when it's the third and then fourth one of the franchise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

Threepio should have been interrogated by one of the bad guys at some point, and produced no useful information. Imagine Hux or Kylo or any of the suits doing this. Threepio is just a head on a table and he's trying to be helpful and informative but he just isn't. They try jedi mind tricks but it doesn't work. It almost writes itself.

This really is a missed opportunity, given the whole joke is he's meant to be a translator but is terrible at it. I suppose it wouldn't have been an OT thing given the Empire isn't shown to have much if any comic relief.

Bonus points if he's rescued by R2, who as a droid is obviously beneath notice.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gareth Edwards was such an inspired choice for Rogue One. There's no one better at making big things look big. That part where the destroyer jumps in and just shrugs things off collisions :allears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

well why not posted:

Gareth Edwards was such an inspired choice for Rogue One. There's no one better at making big things look big. That part where the destroyer jumps in and just shrugs things off collisions :allears:

I love that the Death Star is just there in that shot and they don't even try to put more than a fifth of it in the frame.

There's some great cinematography in that movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've only seen Rogue One once and don't remember much about it, to the point I couldn't tell you anything about the male lead, but what I do remember well were the visuals of the Death Star as this colossal diseased eye in the sky, and if it ever looked straight at you you were hosed.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

well why not posted:

Was Rogue One the first film to show capital ships coming out of hyperspace? It always struck me as brilliant how weird they made it look, because it reflects the weirdness of hyperspace in the first place, despite how ubiquitous it is in the franchise. It's like they decided to call Lucas's bluff or something.

Rogue One isn't perfect on the whole, but the entire space battle at Scarif just lands every beat. Convincing stakes, tangible violence, sacrifice, visual novelty. I cared more about the Rebel pilots with 12 seconds of screen time in Rogue One than like, Poe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Payndz posted:

I've only seen Rogue One once and don't remember much about it, to the point I couldn't tell you anything about the male lead, but what I do remember well were the visuals of the Death Star as this colossal diseased eye in the sky, and if it ever looked straight at you you were hosed.

Very fitting too, since that's exactly the point of the thing; a terror weapon representative of the might of the Empire, designed to induce instant contrition, and used against a planet that had given the most peaceful resistance to make a statement.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but I once saw it argued that the reason why the original scene of the Death Star firing is so effective because even if we don't care about Alderaan, we do care about Leia, and when her planet is threatened she has a clear and immediate emotional response. (And, this being the first film, it also serves as an effective showcase for the Empire's cruelty and disregard for human life as so clearly embodied by Tarkin).

That's definitely true. The thing with Alderaan is that despite us never seeing anyone on it, or even seeing the planet until the scene where it's destroyed, it's already established as being important to all of the protagonists. It's Leia's homeworld, so obviously it's important to her and we get the emotional connection to it through her. But it's also the planet Luke and Obi-Wan have been talking about needing to get to for all of the film so far, so it's destruction also changes the plot: Now what are Luke, Obi-Wan, Han & Chewie going to do now that the planet they desperately need to get to has been destroyed?

The Hosnian system, in comparison, never gets mentioned in TFA before it gets destroyed, no one has any connection to it, and there's no one on there that the audience cares about. Which is why the biggest reaction that scene gets is "Wait, did they just destroy Coruscant?".

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For that Threepio memory wipe scene, I half expected his restored memories to kick in and he'd suddenly remember his role in all the films, including the prequels and perhaps a corny joke around being made by Anakin Skywalker and no one belieiving him, or thinking Babu inadvertently fried something.

Missed opportunity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

For that Threepio memory wipe scene, I half expected his restored memories to kick in and he'd suddenly remember his role in all the films, including the prequels and perhaps a corny joke around being made by Anakin Skywalker and no one belieiving him, or thinking Babu inadvertently fried something.

Missed opportunity.

"What? Stormtroopers? Here? I need to warn the others! Oh no I've been shot!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nitevision posted:

Was Rogue One the first film to show capital ships coming out of hyperspace? It always struck me as brilliant how weird they made it look, because it reflects the weirdness of hyperspace in the first place, despite how ubiquitous it is in the franchise. It's like they decided to call Lucas's bluff or something.
You see the rebel fleet come out in RotJ but it's from front-on so it's not nearly as interesting visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAVwX6pXHs&t=81s

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

ROS just feels like the execs showed up with a powerpoint of bullets that the movie needed to cover and then poo poo was just made up to make sure all those beats were hit. Watching it in theaters I got the feeling of watching a book adaptation to film. Just trying to cram 450 pages of content in to 2 hours. Having read a bunch of the old EU it deffo felt like some of those novels. Speaking of EU novels:

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/star-wars-novelist-alan-dean-foster-episode-ix-treatment-retcon-the-last-jedi-terrible-film/

quote:

Novelist Alan Dean Foster wrote a treatment for Star Wars: Episode IX that the prolific author says would have retconned "as much as possible" from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which Foster calls a "terrible film" and a "terrible Star Wars movie." Foster, who penned the novel adaptations for creator George Lucas' original Star Wars and the J.J. Abrams-directed The Force Awakens, says he "hated" writer-director Rian Johnson's middle installment preceding what would become Abrams' Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. In Foster's unused treatment for Episode IX, the author attempted to correct or explain many of the "silly things" in Episode VIII of Disney-Lucasfilm's Star Wars sequel trilogy:

"Episode VIII was out, it was a done deal. And I went and saw it, and I thought it was a terrible film. I thought it was a terrible Star Wars movie, and there's no need to go into why because every fan already has," Foster told Midnight's Edge. "I thought, 'How can this be retconned? How can we fix as much as possible from Episode VIII in a proposed Episode IX?' And I wrote a partial treatment for that, attempting in that storyline to explain a lot of the really silly things that happened in Episode VIII."

Foster's media representative was unable to get the treatment looked at by Disney because The Rise of Skywalker had already entered into production. "I did that for the fans," Foster said. "I never expected Disney to do anything with that."

In his Episode IX treatment, Foster set out to explain why the untrained Rey (Daisy Ridley) "suddenly has more Force powers than anybody" after a brief visit to the watery planet of Ahch-To in The Last Jedi. "How can I explain that away? And can I somehow tie that into the fact that she was abandoned on her planet on Jakku and bring those two things together?"

Foster conceived an idea to give Rey an undefined disease that would have meant replacing part of her brain with electronics, making her "part droid" to explain her quickly-acquired skills.

"That gives her the ability to learn remarkably quickly and also enhances her existing Force powers, and that's how she can throw boulders around at the end of Episode VIII," Foster said. "Also, it allows her to be instantly simpatico with other droids. I thought this would be a really fun story element, as well as explaining why and how she's able to do these remarkable things."

The treatment also gives Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) "what I thought was a proper send-off at the end of Episode IX." In The Last Jedi, Luke dies alone on Ahch-To after using the Force to project his image across the galaxy to Crait, where he confronts and taunts corrupted nephew Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).

"At the end of it, there's a big battle on Coruscant with the Emperor's clones. I also manage to provide proper motivation for the character that they forced Boyega to fall in love with, I give her something proper to do that justifies her character," Foster said of Rose (Kelly Marie Tran), the Resistance maintenance worker introduced in The Last Jedi. "At the end of the film, Luke is dying under a tree, and Rey comes out. And Luke's last words are 'Aunt Beru,' which brings the whole thing full cycle."

"I don't know. I tried, anyway," Foster said. "I tried."

Asked how he feels towards the Sequel Trilogy, Foster said, "I liked Episode VII very much. I thought it set up a lot of really neat things that were never addressed in Episode VIII. I hated Episode VIII, and I thought Episode IX was good. Not great, but good."

Foster added that, by returning for what became Rise of Skywalker, Abrams was "stuck with the problem of trying to explain and deal with so many of the silly, ludicrous things that happened in Episode VIII. You can tell that I'm going to be asked to write Episode X (laughs)."

Now the question is, was the article released as a hit piece by Disney cause they refuse to pay ADF royalties for his older books?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
ADF's treatment leaked before this dispute started (or at least became public, maybe they were priming the public but I doubt it.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Youtube person Jenny Nicholson had a video where she went through it (it's bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh poo poo, I remember that, it had a flashback of Snoke as a young Sith fighting young Obi-Wan and getting disfigured after being knocked into "a vat of chemicals"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Everything about that treatment and ADF's opinions of Last Jedi are embarrassing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Any attempt to 'fix' what VIII did in a sequel is bound to be a bucket of poo poo. Regardless of what they felt, they should have just run with it rather than wasting most of the film doing so.

It, and the aforementioned studio mandated bullet points are the key reasons IX is terrible. It's like someone went through Reddit with a note pad and wrote down all the things people were angry about, shoved it infront of JJ and said 'Fix this'.

It's weird to say, but I miss the days when these creators had nothing to do with, or completely ignored their fans and stuck to their own vision. Today you get the impression that cast and crew are often subjected to reading Reddit, or are continually bombarded with Twitter opinions, both for PR and also the fact we're now shoulders deep into the digital age. Those people (including us) are not the people you should be listening to, otherwise you end up with the same regurgitated hash of what they like again and again reheated in the microwave.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Could this be the end for Pablo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Isometric Bacon posted:

Any attempt to 'fix' what VIII did in a sequel is bound to be a bucket of poo poo. Regardless of what they felt, they should have just run with it rather than wasting most of the film doing so.

It, and the aforementioned studio mandated bullet points are the key reasons IX is terrible. It's like someone went through Reddit with a note pad and wrote down all the things people were angry about, shoved it infront of JJ and said 'Fix this'.

It's weird to say, but I miss the days when these creators had nothing to do with, or completely ignored their fans and stuck to their own vision. Today you get the impression that cast and crew are often subjected to reading Reddit, or are continually bombarded with Twitter opinions, both for PR and also the fact we're now shoulders deep into the digital age. Those people (including us) are not the people you should be listening to, otherwise you end up with the same regurgitated hash of what they like again and again reheated in the microwave.

JJ if you are reading this thread please gently caress off

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

:george:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Could this be the end for Pablo

Lol he made fun of people posting videos of themselves crying with joy at the Luke Skywalker CG homunculus

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
ROS feels like they sat down and and mathematically worked out how to please the minimum number of people.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

There is one good thing about ROS, its better than revenge of the sith

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

well why not posted:

One of my favorite little details in R1 is that, as far as I remember, you never actually see the Death Star jump to or exit hyperspace. It just appears over a planet between cuts like some sort of vengeful apparition come to mete out the wrath of god.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There is one good thing about ROS, its better than revenge of the sith

Not even close

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t think there’s a single line in the entire sequel trilogy as raw and emotional as Anakin’s “I hate you” and Obi Wan’s heartbroken response.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Revenge will always have the Opera House scene.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I don’t think there’s a single line in the entire sequel trilogy as raw and emotional as Anakin’s “I hate you” and Obi Wan’s heartbroken response.

It's not a line of dialogue but (Rebels spoiler) Kanan's death was really poignant and super emotional. At least for me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mymla posted:

ROS feels like they sat down and and mathematically worked out how to please the minimum number of people.

I think the idea was to piss off the minimum number of people, pleasing the minimum number is just what also happens when you try to do that

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

They fly now?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They fly now

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2487187/the-full-history-behind-stormtroopers-and-jetpacks

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Not gonna click that link but I wonder if they at all touch on how jetpacks were used by bounty hunters for at least 30 years by that point in the franchise so it's kinda unremarkable that Stormtroopers have them now?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Splinter of the Mind's Eye is the only Star Wars canon I respect. :patriot:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

teagone posted:

It's not a line of dialogue but (Rebels spoiler) Kanan's death was really poignant and super emotional. At least for me.

which movie did kanan die in again?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

which movie did kanan die in again?

For some reason I blocked out "in the sequel trilogy" and was making a general comparison of emotional moments across the entire franchise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hate you is one of the funniest things uttered in the PT but second to I hate sand. Just garbage all around.

Thank Filoni for The Clone Wars and redeeming those pieces of poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

I hate you is one of the funniest things uttered in the PT but second to I hate sand. Just garbage all around.

Thank Filoni for The Clone Wars and redeeming those pieces of poo poo.

It's absolutely fitting. All Anakin has at that point is just pure, childish hate. He's incapable of reflection or regret. Obi-Wan leaves because for all he can see there is nothing left of his friend.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"I don't like sand" is good also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Actually you now got me thinking about this.

The final fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS is unique in that Obi-Wan really wants to talk his friend down. He's been commanded to go there, against his wishes, and he- like Luke later- is holding out hope that he can turn Anakin back. He wants to win the argument. It's like arguing with a fascist online. You can't. Obi-Wan can literally dismember his opponent, it doesn't matter. Anakin won't give up.

Like one question asked about this scene is why Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin. It's clearly a failure he regrets later, hence in Return of the Jedi he's convinced Anakin can't be turned, he has to be destroyed. But the reason Obi-Wan won't kill Anakin there is he didn't come here to do that. He never wanted to, he was never prepared for that.

So yeah, that scene emphasizes just the tragedy of someone giving in to the worst side of themselves and they can't turn away even when it's actively killing them. Losing doesn't make you reconsider your beliefs. It's not enough.