Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd take the James Spader scenes in Avengers 2 over everything else in the list, rest of the film is whatever (better than ASM2 though).

Thor 2 is the best fit for WW84 IMO in taking something interesting (Wonder Woman in the 80's, Christopher Eccleston in anything) and squandering it in the most boring way possible.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Holy loving lol at Gal Gadot performing a scene where she’s horrified that a wall has sprung up and cut off poor people from the resources they need to live.

That had to be on purpose.

That, and the scene where she saves the kids, felt very Aware of Gal Gadot. I kind of want to know exactly how aware they were when they did those scenes, but I doubt the I/P conflict gets broached in commentary for a 200 million dollar superhero film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

The CGI action scenes in this movie felt even more weightless and inconsequential than usual for this type of superhero movies.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pirate Jet posted:

WW84 is pretty bad but I would absolutely classify Age of Ultron as one of the worst movies ever made.

You need to watch more movies then, because it’s not even close to being that horrible.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I was surprised that WW and Cheetah(?)'s fight destroyed a bunch of the power lines going into that Bond villain's lair and yet they still had enough power to run the equipment inside.

Also that final scene of her walking around that winter wonderland street in DC was accurate, right? I've never been to DC but it's basically a suburb of Baltimore so I imagine they've got tons of cutely decorated Christmas poo poo in the streets during winter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I knew this movie would be crap the moment they put out the mall scene as a hype builder. Just pure dreck. 2.5 hrs of poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thinking about this immensely terrible movie again. I feel like Jenkins took the worst lessons from the first movie.

The first movie is earnest, somewhat uneven, slightly saccharine and slightly meandering, with action that at times borders on unengaging due to not being particularly concerned with setting the parameters of WW's powers or giving her a reaal threat, until the last guy, who was inexplicably powerful until WW somehow without explanation became even more powerful, by just wanting to be. Action that kinda wavered when focused on glamour shots evoking power instead of action scenes imprinting the impression of power but leavened due to being set in a warzone, with danger thats pretty easy to understand, and a sense of dramatic weight easily accorded due to the settings.

Well gently caress the last part of that, its the inconsequential 80s, WW is uber powerful with no discernable limits and a growing set of powers that seem to be based on what she wants to do at the moment more than anything else. There is no dramatic tension, only a matter of when WW could beat her enemies in the most iconic pose possible. Its less choreography than a series of still publicity pictures.

The bad guys powers, Cheetah and Max Lord, are hard to figure out (does Max have....wind powers? How is Cheetah powerful enough to overwhelm WW, until she isn't). The earnestness is driven to an 11, a saccharine point that any age would find to sweet and cloying. The meandering is the whole point of this movie, the movie's entire runtime mostly set by a sweating father disappointing his son every 15 minutes.

I would love to see the notes on this film. Like I can imagine the thoughts behind them being "WE'VE GOT TO APPEAL TO CHILDREN" or "WONDER WOMAN HAS TO BE APPROACHABLE, NON SCARY, AND INSPIRATIONAL, SHE CAN'T STRUGGLE", "DIVORCED DADS NEED ANOTHER CHANCE", etc.

Its so far from its roots as soap operatic action genre beat em up made interesting thru centering itself in a mythological framework, that its its own freakish inert thing, like a Hallmark movie with good costuming.

I think the last point more than anything else should make anyone nervous to see Parry Jenkins helm another genre movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

So is this now going to swing the WB the other way where leaving the movie to a creator is somehow bad? What would the consequence be if this is not well received?

I’m almost more curious about the studio overreaction

Zack Snyder's Justice League now to have some re-shoots by Joss Whedon

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is it clear somehow that this was made by leaving the movie to Jenkins? I would think a lot of this was made at the time when WB was still into their meddling bullshit, even after Justice League, because they're dumb as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Is it clear somehow that this was made by leaving the movie to Jenkins? I would think a lot of this was made at the time when WB was still into their meddling bullshit, even after Justice League, because they're dumb as hell.

After she left Thor 2 I kinda assume that if she's doing a superhero film it's because she's able to do it the way she wants, but I suppose that's probably naive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was wondering about that; I thought I missed something. I guess not.

"Steve, why are we going so slow? This plane is capable of going much faster." :confused:

"We can't go faster than *sound*, Diana! A demon lives beyond that barrier! Glad to know I still know more than you about *flying*!" :v:

(they then both pass out from being too high up without oxygen masks in an unpressurized fighter cockpit and die from anoxia, roll credits)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Speaking of which, would WW die if she was deprived of oxygen? I always wonder what these superstrong characters weaknesses are. I know Superman can survive in space for example. Can Wonder Woman do the same? What's her specific weakness (when she's at full power)?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Basebf555 posted:

After she left Thor 2 I kinda assume that if she's doing a superhero film it's because she's able to do it the way she wants, but I suppose that's probably naive.

Not to put words in her mouth, she knows best her own motivations, but maybe it’s the idea of working with the Wonder Woman character more than anything else. The first movie is probably the best rated female led superhero movie ever; must be pretty exciting to keep that thing going.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Speaking of which, would WW die if she was deprived of oxygen? I always wonder what these superstrong characters weaknesses are. I know Superman can survive in space for example. Can Wonder Woman do the same? What's her specific weakness (when she's at full power)?

Her powers are based on magic so they've always been hard to pin down. Like, if she needed to breathe in space I have no doubt they could come up with some sort of Amazon-based reason for why she can do it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Her powers are based on magic so they've always been hard to pin down. Like, if she needed to breathe in space I have no doubt they could come up with some sort of Amazon-based reason for why she can do it.

She couldn’t in Kingdom Come, I’m pretty sure (but could handle the vacuum of space fine), though I don’t know how many adventure (if any) she’s had in space. Superman I think doesn’t need to breath as long as he’s got the sun powering him. Or he just holds his breath forever? Comics are weird you can just come up with whatever bullshit reason for a superhero to do whatever.

EDIT: Just skimmed through it real quick and it’s not KC I’m thinking of. Must have been somewhere else (maybe one of the animated movies?)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 28, 2020

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Collapsing Farts posted:

Her weakness is Chris Pine, silly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

Superman can survive in space, but he's holding his breath while he's in a vacuum, which has its own set of ~issues~ that can only be explained away by saying "he's an alien, maybe it's different for him."

Pretty sure WW needs oxygen or she passes out. Definitely a lot of examples of the latter happening in the original Lynda Carter series. :rolleyes:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Holy loving lol at Gal Gadot performing a scene where she’s horrified that a wall has sprung up and cut off poor people from the resources they need to live.

That had to be on purpose.

Double lol at someone writing the line “the world is beautiful as it is” in a movie where someone literally wishes for the mass deportation of an entire peoples.

Same with the uh "brand synergy" of her saving four kids playing with a ball (because Arab kids are too stupid to not play in the middle of the street i.e. those four kids irl should have known better than playing on a beach so it's totally okay that they were gunned down).

I love when the wall is down and they announce that the water has been restored they show people like collecting water from a tiny brook with small plates like that one small stream was like half the city's water supply and Arabs are too stupid to figure out irrigation.

I loving hate how even in some super bland "widest audience possible" kind of movie like this they still go the extra mile to poo poo on Arabs.

Martman posted:

Yeah I didn't think there was a lot of info about this either, but as of yesterday yesterday she actively wants to direct an MCU movie instead of working with DC again:

https://thedirect.com/article/wonder-woman-1984-marvel-spider-man-patty-jenkins

I know it doesn't totally answer if Wonder Woman 1984 was heavily meddled with or if it was just all her vision either way. But I assume she's not interested in doing a third one to be be even mentioning wanting to direct Spider-Man/etc. during WW84's launch party.

Also I watch a lot of 80s/early 90s movies so I'm used to like "Haha wow that infant/little kid suddenly turned into a manakin as the hero rescues them from certain doom" and that's fine but I was really surprised with how incredibly fake all the kids she gets ahold of looked, like they didn't even try which was weird for such a $$$ flick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 28, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Shageletic posted:

Thinking about this immensely terrible movie again. I feel like Jenkins took the worst lessons from the first movie.

Snipping for brevity, this hits the nail on the head for my biggest complaint about the first movie and this one. In the first one, every action scene was stilted and unengaging because each movement went into in slow-mo. I saw someone do an edit where they sped up the village flight's slow-mo cuts and it was a hell of a lot better.

In this movie, there's a lot less slow-mo, but it's so floaty and poorly green-screened it's just as unengaging. I hate to say wire-fu, but that's what it reminds me of.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only actual good point in the movie, was the post credit scene.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I didn't think there was a lot of info about this either, but as of yesterday yesterday she actively wants to direct an MCU movie instead of working with DC again:

https://thedirect.com/article/wonder-woman-1984-marvel-spider-man-patty-jenkins

I know it doesn't totally answer if Wonder Woman 1984 was heavily meddled with or if it was just all her vision either way. But I assume she's not interested in doing a third one to be be even mentioning wanting to direct Spider-Man/etc. during WW84's launch party.

Patty Jenkins is already signed on to direct Wonder Woman 3, so her experience must not have been that bad.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-3-warner-bros-announces-threequel-development.html

Or at least the dumptruck filled with money was big enough

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Cryomancer posted:

Also, the movie starts off with little Diana being reprimanded for cheating. It doesn't pay to take shortcuts and be a 'cheetah'

loving lol I hated this movie but this sends it over the top.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

loving lol I hated this movie but this sends it over the top.

I have to think this is Geoff Johns thinking he’s clever or amusing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Patty Jenkins is already signed on to direct Wonder Woman 3, so her experience must not have been that bad.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-3-warner-bros-announces-threequel-development.html

I'm genuinely surprised by this because of how much 84 feels like a movie no one wanted to make.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The shittiest thing about Wiig as ~The Cheetah~ is that they could have made her origin arc way more compelling if it was in its own movie. They become unlikely friends, Diana suddenly gets "busy" a lot fighting crime and saving people, making Barbara feel jilted (either platonically or romantically), Diana eventually trusts Barbara with her secret because she ~kinda~ wants a new Etta Candy figure in her life, but instead of that happening, Barbara gets sublimely jealous because before she thought Diana was just having the social life she didn't, and now she learns that not only is Diana *better* than her, she's a loving literal immortal GODDESS, and that plants the seeds of resentment and envy for her to find the MAGIC TALISMAN or something that will inevitably curse her and turn her into the Cheetah. Because in the comics, Cheetah is kind of Diana's "Agent Smith." She's her negative, imbued with pure hatred for Diana and the Amazons because they just *have* perfection, while she had to curse herself to get it.

But no, we just got the Glenn Close "Fatal Attraction" version of Cheetah because 80s. :smith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I didn't hate this movie but boy was it slow.

I kind of appreciate that the big joke with Chris Pine is that he's doing a character that most women in Hollywood are relegated to, while Kristine Wiig, who would normally play that role, plays the heavy. However, the romance doesn't work at all.

Max Lord was sympathetic and likeable despite being literally mad with power, which took some solid work from Pascal.

The action sucked in the previous movie too so I wasn't expecting much there, the idea is to watch Diana look glorious and beautiful as hell while owning people. The physics of the fights are doing a different thing where it's grace over raw power.

In a Marvel movie you would've just had five rote setpieces while everyone quips and chews scenery, so these movies are refreshing in that sense and definitely designed for a different audience, which I respect. It's a good companion piece to the Harley Quinn movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hobo Clown posted:

:hmmyes:

Remember like a week ago when her and Gadot were saying the didn’t know if they would return for WW3? I’m guessing they both wanted some more 0s added to the end of their WW3 pay cheques and it looks like they got it.

https://www.cbr.com/patty-jenkins-says-shes-not-sure-about-wonder-woman-3/

quote:

In a recent interview on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Jenkins revealed she and Geoff Johns have already "beat out an entire story for 'Wonder Woman 3' that we were super fired up about." She continued, "But I've never felt this way before as much as I do now." She went on to explain, "I sort of --, I don't think I'm doing it next and so I have to sort of wait and see where we are in the world, you know? What I wanted to talk about in [Wonder Woman 1984] was very prescient to what I was feeling and what you were sort of feeling was coming. So now I'm not sure. So much has changed in the world."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do kinda hope that someone at WB remembers Donna Troy exists so another actress can have a shot at being WW.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

You need to watch more movies then, because it’s not even close to being that horrible.

I’ve watched plenty of movies and it absolutely is, thanks.

Basebf555 posted:

She outright admitted in a recent interview that WB rewrote the ending of WW1 from what she wanted, so there has to be a certain level she’s willing to put up with. Given a lot of this film’s failures can be explained as ham-handed attempts to channel the Donner films, what with Diana pulling a new superpower out of her rear end every ten minutes, it’s more likely she was attempting to adapt to the DCEU’s new direction in a productive way but failed to stick the landing.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 28, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

:hmmyes:

Remember like a week ago when her and Gadot were saying the didn’t know if they would return for WW3? I’m guessing they both wanted some more 0s added to the end of their WW3 pay cheques and it looks like they got it.

https://www.cbr.com/patty-jenkins-says-shes-not-sure-about-wonder-woman-3/

Walking away from WW would be a huge mistake for Gadot. Before being cast in the WW role she wasn't exactly headed for A-list stardom, and I'm not seeing some huge list of big blockbuster movies that she's starring in any time soon. If she wants to continue making generational type money then WW is where it's at.

On the other hand, she could probably just walk away from acting completely and be a successful and highly paid model, if generational wealth isn't really one of her goals.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gadot reportedly got 10 million for Wonder Woman 2 and $300,000 for Wonder Woman 1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

speaking of money

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1343603885173309444?s=20

:rip:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That thumbnail reminds me of my other favorite thing about this movie, which is a suit of legendary armor that’s talked up throughout the movie and could handle an entire army of men on its own and it falls apart fighting a large cat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I literally have no idea where she got it from. Maybe I missed it because I was so drat bored lmfao.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I literally have no idea where she got it from. Maybe I missed it because I was so drat bored lmfao.
Diana says “when [she] got here [she] looked for Asteria but all [she] found was her armor.”

Basebf555 posted:

Walking away from WW would be a huge mistake for Gadot. Before being cast in the WW role she wasn't exactly headed for A-list stardom, and I'm not seeing some huge list of big blockbuster movies that she's starring in any time soon. If she wants to continue making generational type money then WW is where it's at.
Gadot has said that she told her husband that if she didn’t land the WW role then she was walking away from acting because she was tired of the constant rejections so it literally saved her acting career.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 28, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

When Diana came to the good 'ol USA, she went looking for Asteria but could only find her armor. That's it. That's the explanation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's a good companion piece to the Harley Quinn movie.

Birds of Prey had characters that actually had a little nuance to them, Mary Elizabeth Winstead's especially (the exception being harley, which explains why I didn't like her character)

CelticPredator posted:

It was leaning in her room and that's pretty much its origin story lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also didn't take long before this thread included the words "Marvel" and "quipping"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Incredible.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Was there a reason why she doesn't wear it all the time if she's already got it sitting in a closet?

I mean the answers the movie gives (she can fly without it & it breaks easily) probably aren't what was intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The armor comes into play for literally one scene, and then at the end of the scene it's revealed that Diana really was just holding back and could've taken Cheetah out at any point. So it's one of the many things that didn't need to be in the movie at all and felt tacked on so that they'd have something flashy to show off in the trailer.