Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
There were two "lamp needed" areas I intended to go back for and I can't for the life of me figure out where the second one was. Are there story check points in this game? Like if I don't do a side thing before I go after the third dreamer then I'll be locked out of it forever? Also. The abyss. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

There were two "lamp needed" areas I intended to go back for and I can't for the life of me figure out where the second one was. Are there story check points in this game? Like if I don't do a side thing before I go after the third dreamer then I'll be locked out of it forever? Also. The abyss. :stonk:

No you’ll never be locked out of anything, gameplay wise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah. My biggest issue is my memory. It's one of those games where you are supposed to go down some passage, fail to get through because of "X" (you don't have double jump yet, you don't have wall climb yet, you basically don't have the foozle that lets you do something).

I find X an hour or two later (which is maybe a day or two later in real life), and I have complete forgotten which of the little side branches I have not done yet is now solveable. I get a little tired of the running around to refresh my recollection that "oh, it was this hallway."
On the Switch use the screenshot button! (On PC I'm sure you can figure out how to take a screenshot though.)

Seriously the Switch has made playing Metroidvanias fantastic because everytime I end up somewhere I can't progress through yet I take a screenshot of the obstacle, then a screenshot of the map. Then when I pick up a progression item I go back through my screenshots to see where I should revisit.

The only issue with Hollow Knight is that you don't always have a map for an area, and the compass costs a charm slot. Still, for the most part it's so much easier/faster to do this then it is to take map notes like in the old days.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

hazardousmouse posted:

There’s “a bad ending” that you can get locked out of. When you get to the “late game” stuff, it should become obvious what you need to do to go fight the final boss. Once you’ve completed the three things necessary to open it up, go right ahead and fight him. You’ll get the “bad ending” achievement and you can reload your game on the save bench right outside his room with no penalty towards the rest of the game.

But if you get all the secret stuff to unlock the good ending, you’ll miss that achievement and nothing more.

Also: go ahead and do the Grimm Troupe DLC up to the point where you fight the Grimm Troupe boss the first time. You get a charm notch for doing so and the boss is do-able by mere mortals unlike the second time you fight him.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 28, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On the Switch use the screenshot button! (On PC I'm sure you can figure out how to take a screenshot though.)

If you're on Steam, the default key is F12 :eng101:

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

SlyFrog posted:

It's not quite Momento like. More that when there are six or seven areas on four-five maps that I can't get to because I need double jump for one, be able to walk on spikes for another, talk to some miner presumably with some object for another, have a source of light for another, presumably find some key that opens a gate for another, etc., it's a bit hard for me to remember which was which across all those maps.

Video games, I tell ya

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRDXT1ogchU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Holy poo poo grubfather just showered me in like 3k geo. What am I going to spend this on?
And the mantids all bow to me now? This is AWESOME

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

hazardousmouse posted:

Holy poo poo grubfather just showered me in like 3k geo. What am I going to spend this on?
And the mantids all bow to me now? This is AWESOME

Go visit the bank and save it. You can withdraw it later when you hit endgame and need that money for the powerful charms.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
:chloe:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I’m being absolutely serious, you earn back your investment plus half the amount in interest when you finally come to collect.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think they already dealt with the bank.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Oops, well I don’t know how much of the game you want spoiled but there’s plenty to spend geo on if you want us to tell you.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I think it's more of a matter of "at this moment." Still doing some exploring before I take out the last of the sleepy three and I've emptied out the inventories of everyone i have access to atm. I've come across some dude carving a mask who I assume will have more for me later and I bet money sly will have more for me eventually, it's just a matter of holding on to it All before the world changes states.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

I've come across some dude carving a mask who I assume will have more for me later

Spoilers: he does not.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
That was a shame.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some NPCs exist just for the world and lore.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How has the Edge article not leaked yet. Gimme.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

How has the Edge article not leaked yet. Gimme.

Yea! Gimme too!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hmm?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

this thing

February is so far away

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

this thing

February is so far away

... I thought it was coming on 12/31, didn't realize that that was just the cover reveal and that the issue is months away.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Based on how magazine dating works that'll be out some time in January.

According to magazines direct the February issue is scheduled for the 31st. Edge's January issue came out on December 3rd.

HMS Beagle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 30, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Magazine stuff is weird. But hype for things happening soon. Also I still love looking at that cover.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
We will soon have some scraps to live off

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
uh Nosk and the lead up to it is fuckin terrifying

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's a few things I never got around to achieving in this game, and all the recent talk about Silksong has me back in the game.

Zote, nightmare king Grimm and Absolute Radiance I have never beaten.

The last one I'm not going to manage, but the first two I should do. Problem is after putting the game down for awhile your reflexes are gone so jumping back into a tough boss is pretty rough. I need to start a new game to warm up or something.

Managed to beat the first two Zotes at least. Think I'm close to getting the third.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lol beat up to level 4 Zote and wondered why there was no achievement popup and checked and I got it years ago :doh:

well at least I've gotten my reflexes sharpened. Grimm seems pretty reasonable now just need some practice.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Whelp I've gotten a task to deliver an item across the map without taking damage or fast travel. Getting echoes of Death Stranding here. As I seem incapable on taking damage from even tiny flies, this is going to be a great challenge. Can I cheese it a bit with charms that turn my healthbar blue and give me tiny fly shields?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Blue health bar won't help you, the fly shields might.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The cheesy (but time consuming) way is to kill every enemy on the route before you start, most of them won't respawn

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Ppppffff that's prudent talk. do they respawn if you use the stag lines?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You can’t use any fast travel methods while holding the flower.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Whelp I've gotten a task to deliver an item across the map without taking damage or fast travel. Getting echoes of Death Stranding here. As I seem incapable on taking damage from even tiny flies, this is going to be a great challenge. Can I cheese it a bit with charms that turn my healthbar blue and give me tiny fly shields?

This is your first time playing, right? What's weird is, I've beaten this game twice now, this second time trying to find every nook and cranny and not being shy about spoilers, and I still haven't organically run across this quest. I'll spoil myself on it eventually (no need for you to do so, reader).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Finding the Collector's map and completing that thing is leading me to all sorts of hidden areas that I missed the first time around the map. It's amazing how many little nooks and crannies and simple alternate paths I missed.

it also makes me wonder what secrets I'm missing that it's not holding my hand to find

like, apparently I could've accessed the queen's gardens a long time ago but I took a right instead of a left and there I am

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 31, 2020

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I have played through twice on the Switch, but decided to go through on the PC. It's easier to appreciate the visual beauty on a TV but I have found the controls to be tighter on PC sitting near a smaller monitor.

On the other hand I recently played a ton of Spelunky 2 and so I definitely feel like I have to relearn the Hollow Knight movement.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

LLCoolJD posted:

It's easier to appreciate the visual beauty on a TV but I have found the controls to be tighter on PC sitting near a smaller monitor.

This is Video Games: The Modern Era: The Problem, and I hate it. I would love to own a TV that makes games look good and big without the drawback being that the games play like horseshit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's not dreadful but it is noticeable how the controls suffer for the larger and more remote screen. If I could get a 27" OLED computer monitor I'd be so drat pleased.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
have you seen this guys works?

https://twitter.com/lubellide00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

repiv posted:

The cheesy (but time consuming) way is to kill every enemy on the route before you start, most of them won't respawn

This doesn’t save you from the thorny final jump though, which is seriously the only hard part of the journey.