Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's no universe where the Riot MMO is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's no universe where a MMO is good.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

eonwe posted:

I think the only MMO I'm actually interested in for 2021 is Elyon. I've seen some footage of the RvR and it looks like a huge DAoC style clusterfuck which I'm into.

I looked this up and the website has instructions for playing that include buying the game from an offsite and requiring a VPN? Weird

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

I looked this up and the website has instructions for playing that include buying the game from an offsite and requiring a VPN? Weird

It’s poo poo like this that compelled me to tell you guys to just play the new wow expansion. People in here shaking from withdrawal as they post.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
push buttons, numbers go up, receive the good chemicals in your brain

can't beat that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats from the official site? I think thats probably some people telling you how to play it since its region locked to korea at the moment

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Comrayn posted:

It’s poo poo like this that compelled me to tell you guys to just play the new wow expansion.
https://ascension.gg/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's no universe where the Riot MMO is good.

it's not gonna be good but im morbidly curious if it will end up being popular anyway or die fast after the initial wave of enthusiasm

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tell me more about this...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kedo posted:

Tell me more about this...

All feats and skills are available to your character with a point buy system. Classes are no longer a thing. Any tier of feats can be cherry picked, you can take Shadow Dance and otherwise not touch the Subtlety tree if you want.

Gear can drop with completely new, build defining abilities on them, like turning Judgment into a rogue combo point generator. These abilities can be pulled off of gear and put into an archive, that you can then transplant to any number of other equipment you find.

It's TBC, but runs in Wrath and has not just LFG, but timewalking classic dungeons and raids.

Parties and raids can be cross-faction.

If turned on, PvP makes you drop a few equipped items on player death, for the other guy to pick up.

Gear is soulbound, but can be turned into PvP gear that is free for anyone to use and resell.

They constantly tweak things so that they work with their new systems.

It is probably the most fun I've ever had on a private server, it's just impossible for me to find more Europeans to raid with.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 28, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Fixes a lot of issues I had with the original game, but I've been taking a break since my friends lost interest

Also this seasons Wildcard ruleset just isn't as fun as the Draft ruleset from the last two seasons.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

bandaid.friend posted:

The official site is https://elyon.game.daum.net

It is not in english, if you google it and find "elyon" or "elyon-air", that's owned by a chinese goldfarming site that sells hacked/keylogged KR KSSN-verified accounts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Reading reviews, it seems that Shadowlands fell short of "bringing WoW back".

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It brought the players back but it remains to be seen how long they can hold on

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the PvP is much more fun to watch but eh

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Eox posted:

It brought the players back but it remains to be seen how long they can hold on

People will generally unsub whenever they release the 2nd raid tier. Having all your hard work flushed down the drain in an instant isnt exactly a motivator to keep playing, and they do it 3-4 times each expansion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

it's not gonna be good but im morbidly curious if it will end up being popular anyway or die fast after the initial wave of enthusiasm

I think League is a worse designed game than Dota but they came in at the right time and f2p streamlined Dota was the right move. I do think it's more likely going the Valorant route though I am interested if they'll tell blatant lies about the netcode in the lead up like they did with that game.

I kinda wonder if hiring Ghostcrawler was always for an MMO because it made no sense nabbing a guy from a primarily PVE MMO for your PVP game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

punk rebel ecks posted:

Reading reviews, it seems that Shadowlands fell short of "bringing WoW back".

Reviews mean little, it got the numbers it needed

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently Fractured has an open playtest for a few days starting tomorrow

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/dynamight-studios-invites-gamers-to-try-fractured-during-the-end-of-year-open-playtest-december-30th-2000120510

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna be playing that with a buddy, will let yall know what its like

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Elyon review, biggest letdown is those unreal engine 3 graphics. Otherwise your standard grindy k-mmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0UZE8fYyCA

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah everyone seems to say the levelling is a bit boring, but the people who got to do RvR says its a DAoC clusterfuck, which might end up being fun

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

I confused this with Fragmented at first. Its kind of absurd how many of of these games have been floating around out there.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEM6pgSalLY

the type of people your money is going to when backing kickstarter mmo's

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

knox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEM6pgSalLY

the type of people your money is going to when backing kickstarter mmo's

at least it exists, unlike https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manikineko/manikineko-online-mmo

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
actually that rules

quote:

In this alternative timeline god has been defeated and traped in his own mind by an deamon, you are god's child, its your time to rise

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sorry it took us so long to save you from TIME PRISON, God

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I feel like the concept of the gear treadmill should go away. Nothing burns me out in MMOs faster than having to regrind every time new content comes out.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

I feel like the concept of the gear treadmill should go away. Nothing burns me out in MMOs faster than having to regrind every time new content comes out.

While it has its own issues, I can respect GW2 for not having an endless & pointless gear treadmill + level creep.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Having gear progression is great. There being chances to get build defining items or rares that make a difference or even better, change play style - those are all cool. As an example, PoE, while not an MMO, does this rather well.

What I don’t love is where most MMOs just linearly scale up gear as you level up. At level 20 you’re just using an item that is identical to level 10 but with slightly bigger numbers and a different icon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like catch-up mechanics like in FFXIV. Just run the newest dungeon 3 or 4 times and you’ll be good to go.

Basically the best way to play an MMO is the day a patch/expansion drops and a bit afterwards, maybe a week. And also for a few days or a week or so after every major drop. If you’re not enjoying a catch-up mechanic you’re probably doing something wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ruggan posted:

Having gear progression is great. There being chances to get build defining items or rares that make a difference or even better, change play style - those are all cool. As an example, PoE, while not an MMO, does this rather well.

What I don’t love is where most MMOs just linearly scale up gear as you level up. At level 20 you’re just using an item that is identical to level 10 but with slightly bigger numbers and a different icon.

Or worse, exponentially scale it so that having the highest ilevel matters way more than skill and so a level 60 player is a god compared to a level 10 player.

Would love to see more MMOs without levels at all.

I also miss the earlier days of D&D and Everquest where each item was significant. In EQ you get a +1 Longsword and its like holy poo poo, that's amazing, I'm gonna keep that for the next 20 levels.

The modern WoW design has you swapping loot nearly as fast as in Diablo. Which makes it all feel more temporary and less meaningful. At least until the very end of raiding when you're just grinding some rare tier drops.

Destiny isn't even an MMO and between having to manage 200 guns in my inventory and having them all become obsolete every season so I have to grind replacements, I basically can't even play that game anymore.

Definitely they've gone way too far with it. I think gear treadmill can work as long as you have discipline about how and when you distribute loot. But most devs are just like "hey loot = dopamine so more loot = more fun game" and that only works for so long

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

Basically the best way to play an MMO is the day a patch/expansion drops and a bit afterwards, maybe a week. And also for a few days or a week or so after every major drop. If you’re not enjoying a catch-up mechanic you’re probably doing something wrong.

catch-up is better than nothing but i'm enjoying my "came back to gw2 after 3 years can still do all the new content just fine without hunting new gear at all" much, much more

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Syenite posted:

While it has its own issues, I can respect GW2 for not having an endless & pointless gear treadmill + level creep.

They did feel the need to add an extra tier (or two?) before settling, though.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Some of the Korean MMO's are really really pretty, which is a shame because they're all pay to win.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Some of the Korean MMO's are really really pretty, which is a shame because they're all pay to win.

The thing I hate most about KMMOs is the godawful lovely malicious rootkit anticheats. It's never anything at least slightly above board, and they all block you for dumb things.
PUBG kicks you for having Visual Studio or vscode open.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

How are games with no or a limited treadmill doing these days anyway? I cant remember the last time I heard anything, good or bad, about GW2. ESO seems to be reasonably popular at least.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

How are games with no or a limited treadmill doing these days anyway? I cant remember the last time I heard anything, good or bad, about GW2. ESO seems to be reasonably popular at least.

GW2 is... fine. They still have the best seasonal events. I also find their monetization model the most palatable. The people who like it really like it, which makes it hard to get an objective description, but that's true of a few other MMOs too.

I didn't find ESO to be treadmill free. Running dungeons with higher level/better geared players than you completely broke them. The last time I tried it, players were speed-running content so fast that I never got a chance to understand either the plot or mechanics of boss encounters before pubbies had finished them and started the next one. While technically free, ESO limits inventory space very aggressively to force you to purchase the subscription which provides much better inventory management.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

gw2 isn't dead and is getting another expansion sometime this year, so i guess it's not entirely unpopular

Freakazoid_ posted:

They did feel the need to add an extra tier (or two?) before settling, though.

they did the extra tier pretty early on, i wanna say it was planned at launch but got cut due to time constraints. a full set of exotics is basically buyable and equippable pretty much as soon as your first character hits 80, so i suspect they wanted to have a set of gear slightly more involved

early gw2 was pretty dire tho, so plopping that poo poo on top of exotics so close to launch while adding barely any content didn't go over well at all lol

it's ok at this point tho, it's just an optional tier above exotics you only grind for if you want to farm specific content that requires agony resistance, p. much. outside of that you get it eventually as a long term optional thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

LLSix posted:

I didn't find ESO to be treadmill free. Running dungeons with higher level/better geared players than you completely broke them. The last time I tried it, players were speed-running content so fast that I never got a chance to understand either the plot or mechanics of boss encounters before pubbies had finished them and started the next one. While technically free, ESO limits inventory space very aggressively to force you to purchase the subscription which provides much better inventory management.

Thats a bummer. This was my experience playing DDO and it made an interesting game a lot less fun. Is there any point to ESO's gear treadmill at this point? I dont remember there being raid teirs or anything like that when I played it. The game seemed to have deemphasized end game pretty heavily in favor of questing and other leveling related stuff.