Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well the thing is, people are picking up things they have some familiarity and knowledge about. Who knows what much more important errors / misprints etc are in there which may not be picked up on until the thing is law?
I get it with the encryption standards thing. That's actual content and inexcusable. But what is entirely a cosmetic typo '{}{' instead of '}' is hardly something to care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ewan posted:

It's an Appendix of a sub-chapter of an Annex of the main agreement specifically on finger-print sharing. This is really digging into the weeds.

It's a law. This poo poo is supposed to be accurate.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Re false positives / negatives, are the UK still doing test pooling? I know some countries are doing it, and I think we did it briefly when testing was bottlenecked.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i'm glad the UK and the EU have come together in this trying time to erase all programming languages descended from C

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

You're thinking of telescopes.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Why on earth would any trade deal define things like ascii character encoding instead of just saying we will both follow the _________ standard (eg ISO-IR-006 or whatever).

That's why these organisations exist!

Ewan posted:

I get it with the encryption standards thing. That's actual content and inexcusable. But what is entirely a cosmetic typo '{}{' instead of '}' is hardly something to care about.

It's not a bad thing to want our legal documents to be specific and accurate.

blunt fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 28, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

blunt posted:

Why on earth would any trade deal define things like ascii character encoding instead of just saying we will both follow the _________ standard (eg ISO-IR-006 or whatever).

That's why these organisations exist!

Sounds like someone isn't passionate about Taking Back Control.

I have no idea.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Went out for a walk which got a bit out of hand and ended up in the West End, and it was seriously spooky. Obviously everywhere but a few restaurants doing takeaway was closed, but there were loads of people on the streets - not normal West End busyness, obviously, but certainly like midweek high street levels. Everyone staring into windows of the closed shops as if it was early on a Sunday morning and they were just waiting for them to open, nobody seeming like they had anywhere to actually go or be. In a weird way it seemed even emptier than it does in the very early hours of a summer Sunday when it's absolutely deserted - the few people about just seemed to emphasise how empty it actually was.

I can only assume there was some kind of weird unconscious migratory instinct thing going on - it's Boxing Day (because of course the 26th was a Saturday) and normally the sales start today, it's often the busiest day of the year for Oxford Street (I reckon the difference between spend on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day could be a useful economic indicator), and people just headed there because it's What They Do. Again I think the Bed Sitting Room is the best fictional example of a post-apocalyptic Britain, people wandering the wasteland frantically pretending it's just a normal trip down the shops.

Weirdest of all was a small queue - 5 or 6 people, properly socially distanced - outside the big JD Sports by Oxford Circus, whose shutters were very definitely down. Dunno if they had some sort of click and collect thing going on or if those people are actually just waiting for lockdown to be eased so they can get their limited edition trainers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ewan posted:

On p945 in a section relating to fingerprinting, we have "201: IDC - 1 FIELD 1.009 WRONG CONTROL CHARACTER {}{LF}} 115: IDC 0 FIELD 2.003 INVALID SYSTEM INFORMATION"

which includes "{}{" defined elsewhere in the document as "ascii-123" but should be "ascii -123 ascii-125 ascii-123" so maybe it might matter depending what info is being transferred and in what manner.

(I don't know enough about this to have more of a view.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Went out for a walk which got a bit out of hand and ended up in the West End, and it was seriously spooky. Obviously everywhere but a few restaurants doing takeaway was closed, but there were loads of people on the streets - not normal West End busyness, obviously, but certainly like midweek high street levels. Everyone staring into windows of the closed shops as if it was early on a Sunday morning and they were just waiting for them to open, nobody seeming like they had anywhere to actually go or be. In a weird way it seemed even emptier than it does in the very early hours of a summer Sunday when it's absolutely deserted - the few people about just seemed to emphasise how empty it actually was.

That would creep the absolute poo poo out of me, I'm imagining zombies pawing at a window, only instead of meat it's trainers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can only assume there was some kind of weird unconscious migratory instinct thing going on - it's Boxing Day (because of course the 26th was a Saturday) and normally the sales start today, it's often the busiest day of the year for Oxford Street (I reckon the difference between spend on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day could be a useful economic indicator), and people just headed there because it's What They Do. Again I think the Bed Sitting Room is the best fictional example of a post-apocalyptic Britain, people wandering the wasteland frantically pretending it's just a normal trip down the shops.

Weirdest of all was a small queue - 5 or 6 people, properly socially distanced - outside the big JD Sports by Oxford Circus, whose shutters were very definitely down. Dunno if they had some sort of click and collect thing going on or if those people are actually just waiting for lockdown to be eased so they can get their limited edition trainers.

Quite quiet over here. I ventured to Waitrose hoping to get some bargains and was successful, 6 mince pies - use by Jan but have just slipped down nicely - for 50p, a higgledy piggledy pie useby today so will be ok for lunch tomorrow for 69p (they're usually over £3 so I only get them when they're in the cheapo cabinet) and 8 x active yogs with a use-by date of 14th Jan for £1.99.
I shall start rotating my apocalypse stores from Monday.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

i'm glad the UK and the EU have come together in this trying time to erase all programming languages descended from C

Let me tell u about trigraphs :sun:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I guess people wanted to go for a walk, and like you thought "you know it would be cool to check out how weird the West End is when it's meant to be super busy"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CGI Stardust posted:

People will not be happy if this means Python 4.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

In the UK we would use statutory instruments to fix minor issues like this.

Well, would have, now we use them to change laws wholesale.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is poo poo like this will always get through and can be easily fixed afterwards.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

josh04 posted:

People will not be happy if this means Python 4.

Good news!
Everyone has to use Lisp now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit more complex, perhaps, if the EU is signing off on the same version.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

We'll get the open bracket and they'll get the close bracket.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

sinky posted:

Good news!
Everyone has to use Lisp now

{:hmmyes:}

edit: gently caress, brexit

{}{:hmmyes:}}

josh04 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 28, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Everyone staring into windows of the closed shops as if it was early on a Sunday morning and they were just waiting for them to open, nobody seeming like they had anywhere to actually go or be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVcWaGa7iCI

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Cooperation needed in all programming tasks, a good idea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We'll get the open bracket and they'll get the close bracket
and I'll be in brexit afore ye

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/hywelroberts12/status/1343602922727333888?s=19

What in the actual gently caress.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

We live in a meritocracy so that's actually really good poetry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

We live in a meritocracy so that's actually really good poetry.

Some of the comments point out that it is a parody (is that the right word) of a John Betjeman poem - though as I've never thought much of Betjeman's poetry I'm not sure if that makes it better or not.

https://www.oatridge.co.uk/poems/j/john-betjeman-subalterns-love-song.php

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only time I've ever seen maybe 2-3 people looking all the way down Oxford St was 7/7 around 730/8, 2 of us got stuck in central and were waiting for buses to start back up. Was some proper 28 Days Later eerie scenario.
Even when we used to do 6am Sunday morning starts for stocktaking at Tower in Piccadilly Circus there'd still be people/traffic floating around, mainly from the clubs, ie you'd see some right casualties knocking around.

I cannot imagine why you'd even bother knowing nowhere's open, but as you say, retail zombies.
ed: spellings

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some of the comments point out that it is a parody (is that the right word) of a John Betjeman poem - though as I've never thought much of Betjeman's poetry I'm not sure if that makes it better or not.

https://www.oatridge.co.uk/poems/j/john-betjeman-subalterns-love-song.php

Explains why theres suddenly tennis scores in the second verse as he had a game of tennis in his first verse. But she doesnt.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1343542354821709825

I feel that you could just cut the last part of this and you've got the crux of every pundit's argument for the last ten years. "I've learned nothing, I want to do the same poo poo that didn't work the first time again. "

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ugandan discussions? Is she saying she wants to gently caress Priti?. Genuinely wondering what she's trying to convey here - not being homophobic etc.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Ugandan discussions? Is she saying she wants to gently caress Priti?. Genuinely wondering what she's trying to convey here - not being homophobic etc.

She's the liberal interventionist's dream, a Woman of Colour who wants deport her own parents.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It was the same in Bristol today. I spent Christmas alone and wanted some time out of the house, so walked to the city centre. Grey, darkening skies at 3pm, a light drizzle falling onto the wet streets. Every pub and restaurant closed and shuttered, ditto most of the shops. Just enough people around to emphasise how bizarre this all was in what's normally the post-Christmas sales period. A pair of Covid enforcers (we have those in Bristol) in fluorescent jackets were patrolling around, making sure that people weren't forming into groups, not that many were trying.

It did wonders for my melancholy mood, I can tell you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

She rhymes Marr with Marr, ffs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

She rhymes Marr with Marr, ffs.

Must listen to too much Kanye

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I can’t tell if it’s meant to be satire or not, but I fear it’s not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1343542354821709825

I feel that you could just cut the last part of this and you've got the crux of every pundit's argument for the last ten years. "I've learned nothing, I want to do the same poo poo that didn't work the first time again. "
This is the most pathetic thing I've read in a long time.

At least the "I wish you could get a pint for 60p" crowd have identified something that's wrong with the world that they would improve, at least the "bring back smoking in pubs" lot want to change something, even if they don't understand why they're wrong.

The lockdown sucks, the early mismanagement of the pandemic sucks, but being so limited in imagination that the only way you can think to change things is backwards and not even backwards to something you like, loving hell.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I too want to be crushed by sweaty men, but it has nothing to do with commuting to my doodoo-rear end office

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

At least the "I wish you could get a pint for 60p" crowd have identified something that's wrong with the world that they would improve, at least the "bring back smoking in pubs" lot want to change something, even if they don't understand why they're wrong.

The lockdown sucks, the early mismanagement of the pandemic sucks, but being so limited in imagination that the only way you can think to change things is backwards and not even backwards to something you like, loving hell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
25 years ago there was a considerable amount of art made about the existential dread of having a job that was too stable and mundane and the blandness of every need being met and living in comfort. These fuckers don't even have the dream of getting back to that. They view "Never Dream" not only as pragmatic but aspirational.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's just British liberalism.txt - all the last year has taught them is that even their wildest fantasy of making it 2012 again is beyond reach and that they might, if they wish with all their might, be able to make it December 13th 2019 again.

I've no doubt, sometime around 2023, we'll be reading sad love letters to the halcyon days of summer 2021 when Johnson proudly declares that lockdowns are over because all the people they care about have been vaccinated (and the remaining 50% of the population can go whistle), before the Sunakian Hyperausterity really started to bite and Priti Patel started personally executing people every Saturday night during the lottery show.

JWWA6-YRAHB-LQHT2 is Sigma Theory Cold War. No idea, looks like a sort of XCom-y thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really do think that some people don't want to dream because of an inbuilt fear of failure, to the extent that they will accept managed decline because to them failing is worse than dying.