Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kuvo posted:

yoship please contract bandai to make a G-Warrior gunpla

Don't. Don't give me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Copycat Zero posted:

I doubt they'd make a healer whose entire kit had no cast times (at the very least, I could easily see that becoming required by groups in the PF, as there would be no risk of having your heals interrupted by having to move for mechanics, and the devs hate it when specific jobs are considered "required"), so at that point even if Chemist/Salvemaker/Chirurgeon/whatever was a "physical" class, there'd still be the abstraction of "cast" times by having them mixing together two chemicals that have to be kept separate until the last moment or loading their potion-delivering weapon or something.

yeah that's where i was torn on it. i thought having channeled heals (ie the heal starts the second the cast starts and ticks during the cast) would be an interesting middle ground, because you would be slightly less punished for movement (getting a partial heal rather than cancelling the entire cast) but at the cost of spending one of your chemical charges for less healing than it would otherwise be worth. idk how you would balance it, of course, but it would be a unique identity for the job.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Chemist having no cast times sounds like something they would realistically have, but it would pay a major DPS tax to compensate. Given that healers have pretty ok mobility (especially AST with Lightspeed and the already-short cast speed on Malefic), I don't think that's a premium that would be worth paying at high levels of play.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kuvo posted:

yoship please contract bandai to make a G-Warrior gunpla

Well they are making models of front mission and xenogears mechs. They're unpainted but it's possible.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my idea for chemist is they would have some type of 'aether siphon' gun to explain why they can put out so much healing compared to a regular alchemist, and then they'd have a little mini combo of instant cast attacks to fill charges to spend on big heals. maybe also a back-mounted mixer that barfs out healing smoke.

i thought about them maybe having channeled spells to represent hosing people down with potions or whatever, but idk how that would balance vs existing healers. i thought about a potion mixing mechanic too, but the most fun way to do that has already been done with dancer's dances.

it's hard to think of how to make a new healer unique without violating the design philosophy they seem to have for healers. chemist would presumably be a non-magical healer, and the main difference between magic dps and phys dps is that phys is instant cast vs cast times for magic. but white mage already has a ton of instant cast heals, so idk.

Crafting potions with synthesis is a delicate process that takes considerable time, effort, and aether from crystals. Chemist's accelerate and streamline that process massively by utilizing a much higher quantity of aether, which they supply themselves, rapidly synthesizing fast acting potions that are unsuitable for commercial use due to their extremely short shelf life and competitively immense aetheric costs (compared to normal synthesis).

There, that's how ALC and CHM can coexist. You can even give CHM some abilities named after crafting actions to be cute. Their cast times involve channeling aether for rapid synthesis, and that's also why DoM gear works for them.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cabbit posted:

Crafting potions with synthesis is a delicate process that takes considerable time, effort, and aether from crystals. Chemist's accelerate and streamline that process massively by utilizing a much higher quantity of aether, which they supply themselves, rapidly synthesizing fast acting potions that are unsuitable for commercial use due to their extremely short shelf life and competitively immense aetheric costs (compared to normal synthesis).

There, that's how ALC and CHM can coexist. You can even give CHM some abilities named after crafting actions to be cute.

CHM's class resource is Inner Quiet so you can Great Strides 11-stack Excellent Mega-Potion your party for triple their max HP :frogc00l:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

CHM's class resource is Inner Quiet so you can Great Strides 11-stack Excellent Mega-Potion your party for triple their max HP :frogc00l:

Would unironically love a combat crafter like this.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Chemist ideally would have a mechanic like ninjitsu where your combos are different components for the potion you want to make, thematically. That’d be annoying to have to do a lot though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Now with Monk at 80, only Ninja, Samurai, and Paladin stand in my way of getting everyone to 80 and I only have to do the ShB content with those three thanks to Heaven-on-High being dead and Jump Potions being on sale

My impressions so far is that Monk seems... okay at 80. Six-Sided Star seems like a pretty underwhelming move even for your big disengage move (didn't Tornado Kick use to be this back in HW?) With how many positionals the class had, I actually felt like it was pretty easy to get into a groove and it between True North and Riddle of Earth, you have plenty of chances to use get out of jail free cards if a tank decides to spin the boss or if it turns. Plus, doesn't have that many buttons so you can pretty much put everything important on one controller hotbar and use the second for other skills/aoe/etc.

Samurai has a lot more buttons than I expected and taking it into 70 content for practice seemed like absolute chaos. The kenki you get for hitting positionals is big, and the stuff you have to do to squeeze out every ounce of damage seems pretty daunting right now. I'll see how I like it in later levels but I am not liking the class as much as I expected I would.

Ninja doesn't seem that much different to me given that not a lot happened between 60-70 for the class really. Ten Jin Chi seems weird as gently caress, but it also seems like Ninja is still the class where you press all of the buttons in your trick attack window and after that you're kinda just using stuff off of cooldown and your 1-2-3. My internet connection has been pretty sus as of late so I am also glad they changed Mudras to GCDs now.

I liked DRG a lot and leveled that up without Jump Potions; but so far if I were to rank my enjoyment with the Melee, it would probably be DRG > MNK > NIN > SAM, but we'll see how much that will change come late ShB content.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ort posted:

Chemist ideally would have a mechanic like ninjitsu where your combos are different components for the potion you want to make, thematically. That’d be annoying to have to do a lot though.

They 100% can and should have something similar for Mix, but it should be part of their dps or secondary mechanic (ie. Cards for ast) rather than like, something you have to do to cast Medica II.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

There, that's how ALC and CHM can coexist. You can even give CHM some abilities named after crafting actions to be cute. Their cast times involve channeling aether for rapid synthesis, and that's also why DoM gear works for them.

Oh hell yes

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Would unironically love a combat crafter like this.

if you flex your imagination and squint hard enough it's kind of like self-skillchaining and now i'm into it

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MechaX posted:

Yeah just start having groups of the Source's job quest people consisting of the tank, healer, magical, and physical quest lines with individual level 90 capstone quests.

Mixing them up somewhat would be cool, but I guess they don't want to get into a situation of "you leveled dragoon to 90, but your 90 capstone is weird because we threw Estinien over in the healer quest line that you didn't do yet and it has spoilers for that."

But even keeping them sequestered would get some interesting results; like Radovaan, Sophie, and Sid just being increasingly exasperated by Curious Gorge, or the Bard Boys annoying the gently caress out of Estinien or Y'mithra getting together with the Thamaturge guild being like "you know maybe we should summon Demi-Shatotto instead"

I'd love to see the jobquest folks interact, too, there seems like a lot of fun potential there.

The best I can hope for, though, is some one-off capstone role quest at 90 or so when you have all the jobs within that role capped. No way are they going to mess around with tracking and varying for four jobs. Even the role quest continuation was surprising.

As for the next expac's role quests, as we assume will occur, I'm currently betting on the side-Scions being your contacts. Arenvald for tank role, for example.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zomborgon posted:

I'd love to see the jobquest folks interact, too, there seems like a lot of fun potential there.

The best I can hope for, though, is some one-off capstone role quest at 90 or so when you have all the jobs within that role capped. No way are they going to mess around with tracking and varying for four jobs. Even the role quest continuation was surprising.

As for the next expac's role quests, as we assume will occur, I'm currently betting on the side-Scions being your contacts. Arenvald for tank role, for example.

Arenvald actually shows up in the level 80 summoner quest, weirdly enough.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Begemot posted:

Arenvald actually shows up in the level 80 summoner quest, weirdly enough.

Yeah, that quest was an interesting one. SMN likes to be pretty tied into main plot sometimes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm ok with Chemist as a concept but only if its job quests consist of the trainer going around to every NPC yelling "it's not like Alchemist AT ALL".

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I'm ok with Chemist as a concept but only if its job quests consist of the trainer going around to every NPC yelling "it's not like Alchemist AT ALL".
The Trainer should be named Al, and be really salty about it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Ort posted:

that's kind of why i was thinking of something more like dancer's dances, where it's short little combos that you can input very quickly. having to constantly do something really elaborate, or even slightly elaborate, would make it much more irritating than like, white mage being able to just hit a few instant cast abilities to dump out a ton of healing. as a healer you have to be very reactive so it's not really compatible with long setup periods for stuff.

MechaX posted:

Now with Monk at 80, only Ninja, Samurai, and Paladin stand in my way of getting everyone to 80 and I only have to do the ShB content with those three thanks to Heaven-on-High being dead and Jump Potions being on sale

My impressions so far is that Monk seems... okay at 80. Six-Sided Star seems like a pretty underwhelming move even for your big disengage move (didn't Tornado Kick use to be this back in HW?) With how many positionals the class had, I actually felt like it was pretty easy to get into a groove and it between True North and Riddle of Earth, you have plenty of chances to use get out of jail free cards if a tank decides to spin the boss or if it turns. Plus, doesn't have that many buttons so you can pretty much put everything important on one controller hotbar and use the second for other skills/aoe/etc.

Samurai has a lot more buttons than I expected and taking it into 70 content for practice seemed like absolute chaos. The kenki you get for hitting positionals is big, and the stuff you have to do to squeeze out every ounce of damage seems pretty daunting right now. I'll see how I like it in later levels but I am not liking the class as much as I expected I would.

Ninja doesn't seem that much different to me given that not a lot happened between 60-70 for the class really. Ten Jin Chi seems weird as gently caress, but it also seems like Ninja is still the class where you press all of the buttons in your trick attack window and after that you're kinda just using stuff off of cooldown and your 1-2-3. My internet connection has been pretty sus as of late so I am also glad they changed Mudras to GCDs now.

I liked DRG a lot and leveled that up without Jump Potions; but so far if I were to rank my enjoyment with the Melee, it would probably be DRG > MNK > NIN > SAM, but we'll see how much that will change come late ShB content.

i've been wanting to work on a melee dps, now that i have a healer and a magic dps at 80, and a tank pretty close to it. i can't really decide what to go with though, they all seem pretty intimidating with all the interlocking buff windows and stuff. i barely have enough brain to remember to use swiftcast, embolden, and accelerate on my red mage.

dragoon seems the coolest, but also from what i hear, the most in-need of updating.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dragoon is my favorite melee and I'm not really sure I know what you mean with needing updates

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
For those that like clean maps, about a week ago I learned that you actually can clear Triple Triad markers by beating the NPC at least once and acquiring all the cards they can provide. I'd previously cleared all the quest markers, and went back to clear all the major cities and hubs of card markers. Except for Kugane, to hell with that noise.

For anyone who wants to do the same, I can recommend Therion-Hilda-Ysayle-Adrammalech-Forgiven Obscenity as my regular deck.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

dragoon seems the coolest, but also from what i hear, the most in-need of updating.

I think that got brought up in a discussion several pages back in this topic by someone; personally I think DRG is in a pretty good spot for what they want to do with the class. Keeping Blood of the Dragon up isn't nearly as strenuous as it was in prior expansions and with Jump's upgrade to High Jump, pretty much all of your jumps are pretty quick for the most part and won't keep you in animation lock for that long.

The main QoL change I can think of is making the AOE rotation give you the Disembowel buff automatically or having one of the AOE moves refresh that normally (kinda like how Monk's spin move doesn't necessarily apply Twin Snakes, but refreshes it). Piercing Talon sucks but they could also fix that by just being like "you're the jump person, we'll give you more Spineshatter charges so you can jump on more people" and just getting rid of that move entirely

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Give Spineshatter an extra charge, and then give Piercing Talon a trait that regenerates a charge when you use it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Grayshift posted:

For those that like clean maps, about a week ago I learned that you actually can clear Triple Triad markers by beating the NPC at least once and acquiring all the cards they can provide. I'd previously cleared all the quest markers, and went back to clear all the major cities and hubs of card markers. Except for Kugane, to hell with that noise.

For anyone who wants to do the same, I can recommend Therion-Hilda-Ysayle-Adrammalech-Forgiven Obscenity as my regular deck.

Thanks, but I'd be more interested in a way of clearing the markers off my map without ever playing Triple Triad again. Or at least make it so the cards are guaranteed to drop on first win. It's not even bad, but after playing it and some of the other Gold Saucer stuff, I realized I'm paying for an MMO so I can play a drat MMO, not so I can play a bunch of unrelated minigames. It's not like there's a shortage of stuff to grind in this game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Dragoon is my favorite melee and I'm not really sure I know what you mean with needing updates

there was a big discussion a while back and someone was talking about it, it sounded like there was a lot of weird minor 5% buffs they had to keep up that could be streamlined. i could be entirely wrong though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I think that it's awkward how their aoe combo doesn't refresh their damage buff like other melee jobs do, the second and third aoe combo both refreshing BoTD seems like overkill and you could afford to turn one of them into a damage refresh, imo. That's about it I think, at least for me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

You wanna talk about a job that needs updating, BRD is right there dying a death full of button bloat and janky animations. At a bare minimum, BRD needs:

1.) A decent animation for Heavy/Burst Shot (the glowy bit is fine, but the actual motion your character does is abysmal-- especially compared to MCH shots)
2.) Songs condensed to one button; they're all way too similar to require three separate buttons, just have one button that cycles like PvP actions.
3.) Pitch Perfect doesn't need to be its own button, either, considering you only have access to it ~38% of the time. Just make it replace Bloodletter during Wanderer's Minuet, and make an AOE version of Pitch Perfect to replace Rain of Death with during WM.
4.) Make Raging Strikes do something more interesting than a flat damage bonus. A button that sings all three songs at once at a heightened level would be cool (like, you instantly get the full haste bonus from AP, plus Mage's Ballad/Wanderer's Minuet procs fill your Pitch Perfect gauge immediately).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only minigame I'm putting decent time into is if YoshiP adds Doman hanafuda.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Cabbit posted:

You wanna talk about a job that needs updating, BRD is right there dying a death full of button bloat and janky animations. At a bare minimum, BRD needs:

1.) A decent animation for Heavy/Burst Shot (the glowy bit is fine, but the actual motion your character does is abysmal-- especially compared to MCH shots)
2.) Songs condensed to one button; they're all way too similar to require three separate buttons, just have one button that cycles like PvP actions.
3.) Pitch Perfect doesn't need to be its own button, either, considering you only have access to it ~38% of the time. Just make it replace Bloodletter during Wanderer's Minuet, and make an AOE version of Pitch Perfect to replace Rain of Death with during WM.
4.) Make Raging Strikes do something more interesting than a flat damage bonus. A button that sings all three songs at once at a heightened level would be cool (like, you instantly get the full haste bonus from AP, plus Mage's Ballad/Wanderer's Minuet procs fill your Pitch Perfect gauge immediately).

BRD isn't really that bad on bloat right now; all crucial skill can be shoved into one hotbar without switching, and the only other moves (it's AOE, Troubador, and Battle Voice) are situational in the former two's case, or "just use on cooldown" in Battle Voice's case.

Heavy Shot and Burst Shot seems pretty mundane but this is the spam button, and the motion the character does isn't too bad unless you're following it up after Empyreal Arrow with the weird torso twisting. Condensing songs to one button is okay in theory, but not that great in practice if you actually want the songs to have different effects and if you want to use certain songs in certain situations (namely MB in trash pulls, or Army's in some immediate pre-boss encounter or pre-boss-is-going-to-jump situations so you optimize full use of WM). What they need to do is not have Army's Paeon be complete trash and filler.

Replacing Bloodletter with Pitch Perfect would also be not good unless major, major, major revamps are given to the class because it seems like the team wants Bard to be that higher APM class and taking away buttons for it to press would be counterproductive. Plus, an AOE version of pitch perfect might be good for trash pulls, but big trash pulls still tend to die on MB anyway. If anything they need to give Bloodletter and Rain of Death some charges so you're not overcapping just because RNGesus decided to give you another proc when you held off so to not clip GCDs.

Raging doing something ontop of a mere damage buff would be cool though. They should probably just give Bard back Foe's Requiem and Palisade so it can be one class that does something with MP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

This would be a really bad thing, because your song order changes between single target and AOE. Also there are some situations where you might skip a song during downtime.

#1 thing I'd like to see for bard is a an AOE DOT with a lower proc rate than the single target ones, kind of like Thunder 4 for black mages.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

there was a big discussion a while back and someone was talking about it, it sounded like there was a lot of weird minor 5% buffs they had to keep up that could be streamlined. i could be entirely wrong though.

Yeah this is my main issue with it. Just buff Disembowel and drop the others, they're so tedious.

I'd also like BotD and LotD to have a more noticeable effect other than the skills they unlock considering that we need to have BotD up at all times for the combos to work. We also don't need three separate jumps, two of which are near identical (other than one being unambiguously better than the other) and the third only useful because it's part of the LotD combo.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Pitch Perfect replacing Bloodletter would suck, but it replacing Wanderer's Minuet itself while it's active would be cool and good. There's even precedent for skills sharing a button like that: you can activate Wildfire and Earthly Star for an effect (detonation) while the main skill's (activation's) cooldown is ticking.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
They're almost certainly not going to but I wish they would split Bard into two classes, one where you're a bard and one where you're an archer. I like both of those classes in RPGs and especially the FF versions of them, but the FFXIV job is like, 80% archer but you have to manually apply two dots to everything and you cycle through having a song buff up that feels really bad when you get no procs. Archer/Bard being the "pray to RNG for DoT procs" is not fun for me and is the main reason I immediately switched from Bard to Red Mage upon hitting 50.

Dancer and Red Mage both have RNG proc-stuff that increases their damage but it doesn't feel nearly as bad as on Bard because both of those classes have ways to force procs and iirc the chance is higher. Heck, Summoner has two dots they want to keep on everything but they can spread both of them at the same time with a single button (and another button can spread the dot to nearby enemies) and they don't depend on the dots for anything other than more damage, so there's no "well I had my poison and wind dots on everything but still got 0 procs on my song, cool"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the problem with dragoon is that for some stupid reason its aoe combo doesn't refresh disembowel

the best version of bard is the ffxi one where I managed to ride that baby to parties-on-demand all the way to 75 as a walking mana battery slash overpowered buff dispenser, "the original balance is maybe 1/10th as good" overpowered, while only needing a pittance for gear

I will not be taking questions on either issue thank you for your time

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It would be fun if bards worked more like LotRO bards, where they just play music for all their attacks and that deals damage somehow.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Begemot posted:

It would be fun if bards worked more like LotRO bards, where they just play music for all their attacks and that deals damage somehow.

Getting flashbacks to Ragnarok Online's bard class. The sound of the Barber of Seville playing forever. :negative:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Begemot posted:

This is 100% the best option - let me bagpipe people to death again!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Aithon posted:

Pitch Perfect replacing Bloodletter would suck, but it replacing Wanderer's Minuet itself while it's active would be cool and good. There's even precedent for skills sharing a button like that: you can activate Wildfire and Earthly Star for an effect (detonation) while the main skill's (activation's) cooldown is ticking.

That would be a good compromise. I just hate having a button on my bar that is completely useless for more than half the fight. While you're at it, do the same thing with Dreadwyrm Trance and Deathflare.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ugly John posted:

This is 100% the best option - let me bagpipe people to death again!

I would be very down for that or something like Monster Hunter's Hunting Horn, where you beat the poo poo out of monsters using a giant bagpipe/harp/guitar/whatever while also playing it in their face

Cabbit posted:

That would be a good compromise. I just hate having a button on my bar that is completely useless for more than half the fight. While you're at it, do the same thing with Dreadwyrm Trance and Deathflare.

Yeah, I kinda like playing SMN but uh that job could use some QoL things. None of the phases line up neatly and dreadwyrm trance at level 80 is basically never something you actually want to be in because it delays summoning bahamut and phoenix

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

stev posted:

Yeah this is my main issue with it. Just buff Disembowel and drop the others, they're so tedious.

I'd also like BotD and LotD to have a more noticeable effect other than the skills they unlock considering that we need to have BotD up at all times for the combos to work. We also don't need three separate jumps, two of which are near identical (other than one being unambiguously better than the other) and the third only useful because it's part of the LotD combo.

"Let's have BotD do more."

Next sentence: "Let's take away one of the things BotD does."

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Let's just undo the changes and give bard foe's requiem, refresh, extra crit scaling, and give casters mana shift again. Piercing debuff can stay dead