Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did you do the whole baseline setup with cleaning vanilla masters etc before diving into installing SkyUI? Maybe it's having a funky interaction with the literal megabytes of trash entries in the vanilla BSAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Are you using a proper mod manager, or are you trying to use SkyrimSE's build in manager?
ok, i appreciate trying to help but you really didn't have to scroll very far up the thread for the answer to this

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Amppelix posted:

ok, i appreciate trying to help but you really didn't have to scroll very far up the thread for the answer to this

Ah, if you were using the built in mod thing, yeah reinstall skyrim from scratch, install MO2, and then go through the somewhat painstaking beginning processes for Skyrim STEP http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page, at least up through cleaning the vanilla masters (Step 3) and getting them added as a mod in MO2. Once you got that done, you shouldn't have any weirdness going on with basic stuff like SkyUI. SKSE64 needs to be installed in the actual Skyrim directory, though you can pack up the scripts into a custom mod and control them via MO2 as well if you like.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 25, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

thanks for that too but, luckily, seems like just a reinstall fixed whatever was gunking up the pipes of skyui

i'll remember that if something else starts to break but i don't plan on installing anything more on this save so it should be fine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the plugin file for SkyUI itself is technically broken and needs to have Skyrim.esm added as a master to it with xEdit. It’s really weird and dumb and most people don’t even realize it, but it makes a world of difference.

Again, the Phoenix Flavour guide that I linked earlier goes over how to fix that.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FlyingKipper posted:

There's a mod on nexus that changes all of the necessary files to support ultrawide that I've used with success.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778

Thank you! I love that this thread is nonjudgemental and helpful. That is rare on SA these days.

I have COVID brain so I really struggled with how to get this mod installed. Even without being sick I struggle to install mods. I found this YouTube video which has a single folder you download and paste into the Data folder and wha-la! Fixed! Glorious ultrawide and I can now see my weight, gold, and more!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the plugin file for SkyUI itself is technically broken and needs to have Skyrim.esm added as a master to it with xEdit. It’s really weird and dumb and most people don’t even realize it, but it makes a world of difference.
That's only a problem when you use the ingame mod manager though. Even NMM shouldn't care about that and just load the plugin.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ah, so that's why it doesn't support the ingame manager!

i really wish it did, skyui is one of those no brainer installs along with the unofficial patch and if you're doing a vanilla playthrough it would be nice if you didn't have to dig out the third party programs for the massive load order of two (2) mods

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this just occurred to me: is there a mod that implements some sort of cosmetic armor slot system? i haven't come across anything like that with casual browsing and it seems like it would be pretty popular so i'm guessing the answer is no

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Vokrii perk overhaul adds "Padding" perks to the Smithing skill. I haven't tried those perks myself (using the mod for the first time as a Heavy Armor warrior), but supposedly they allow you to reinforce Clothing to the point where it gives you viable levels of defence.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Amppelix posted:

this just occurred to me: is there a mod that implements some sort of cosmetic armor slot system? i haven't come across anything like that with casual browsing and it seems like it would be pretty popular so i'm guessing the answer is no

I mean, you can just use whatever armor you want. The threshold for max physical resistance can be hit by anything if you try

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 26, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sure, after you grind up your smithing and enchanting and are 50 hours into your playthrough

I always like cosmetic options (even in a game like skyrim where I'm definitely not looking at my character most of the time) and having a simple way to just wear something for the looks would be neat. I imagine it would be pretty hard to implement though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fortunately the way armour works by default, it's nearly completely worthless until you get lots, or heavily perked, anyways. Running around naked vs running around in steel is basically the same thing.

For clarity, each point of armour you have reduces damage by 0.12%.

If you have a full set of steel, with shield, you have 96 armour. Or you reduce damage by about 11%. If the average enemy does 10-20 damage at the time, and you have 200 HP, you will die in 14 hits with no armour class. With a flat 100 armour, you will just survive one extra hit. I don't really find that a big deal.

There's a hidden armour rating of +25 for each slot you have filled, which far exceeds the armour rating of most pieces. As long as you have something in the main slots, you should be fine.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2020

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

quote:

Notes
Clothes such as robes and other apparel do not count as armor, and as such do not benefit from the hidden armor rating bonus.

A ton of info here too. It takes A LOT of armor rating to reach the cap of 80% reduction.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

someone is either too low level for it to matter or high enough level to not care anymore is what it comes down to i think. plus, flesh spells

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of some good, recent (2019/2020) videos, either just showing the mods off or a let's play that highlights melee combat and associated mods? Haven't played in years and getting slammed hard even on adept in the early game trying out a few different combat mods to try out melee. Historically I played ranged or caster just to avoid the melee system but I'd like to give it a shot if someone has improved it in a way I like but I'm relatively sure my initial problem is not sucking instead of mod problems.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've played around with a bunch of dodge, target lockon, and weapon style mods to spice up melee.

They all sucked, and really don't work in Skyrim. There's stuff like Wildcat that can make it slightly more interesting under the hood, but you're not really gonna get a good overhaul of the melee system, or turn it into Dark Souls or whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've played around with a bunch of dodge, target lockon, and weapon style mods to spice up melee.

They all sucked, and really don't work in Skyrim. There's stuff like Wildcat that can make it slightly more interesting under the hood, but you're not really gonna get a good overhaul of the melee system, or turn it into Dark Souls or whatever.

I've used Combat Gameplay Overhaul for a while now and I've really enjoyed it so far. Though I've been using it with all its settings cranked down by like 75% because it goes a little buck wild with certain things like the leaning when you change direction. But I really liked the stuff it does with two-handed weapons like being able to flip between one or two handed stance, being able to equip magic or a shield and and two-hander, and its dodge roll mechanic.

It's immensely scalable especially if you don't want to turn Skyrim into Dark Souls.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nessin posted:

Anyone know of some good, recent (2019/2020) videos, either just showing the mods off or a let's play that highlights melee combat and associated mods? Haven't played in years and getting slammed hard even on adept in the early game trying out a few different combat mods to try out melee. Historically I played ranged or caster just to avoid the melee system but I'd like to give it a shot if someone has improved it in a way I like but I'm relatively sure my initial problem is not sucking instead of mod problems.

This was posted earlier in the thread and made me go "wow, it looks like a different game with better combat"

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Holy crap... This mod, plus Combat/Archery Gameplay Overhaul makes a humongous improvement to the 3rd person camera and action.

My current loadout which is focused on improving the core gameplay loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N27tzxeQysU

All this using a Dualshock 4 controller. Makes for awesome chorded button combos which go great with Swift Potions for easy to reach restoratives in the heat of battle.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

I'm not really looking for challenging so much as just engaging.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just finished about 8 hours into Elysium and I think I'm going to look for another mod list. It looks very good and LOTD is great, but I'm pissed that Delphine looks like a barbie and the dodge/combat/stamina is way too aggressive and I feel like I need to poopsock.

Any lists that support creation club and are non nudity/barbie NPCs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gyshall posted:

I just finished about 8 hours into Elysium and I think I'm going to look for another mod list. It looks very good and LOTD is great, but I'm pissed that Delphine looks like a barbie and the dodge/combat/stamina is way too aggressive and I feel like I need to poopsock.

Any lists that support creation club and are non nudity/barbie NPCs?

Eldersouls just updated and their npc replacers are much less barbie esque. No lotd and weird saving/leveling mechanics based on Darksouls. It also has a bunch of super hard monsters that aren't leveled so you're pretty much forced to stay in Whiterun for the first 10-15 levels. But you can get there by clearing out a handful of dungeons.

Here's what it uses for female NPCs https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20575

You could maybe install that or a different replacer on top. If it breaks it you can re-install Elysium, if you didn't delete the download folder it doesn't need to re-download anything.

You can change stamina costs for dodge in the mcm if it's ultimate dodge mod, also how frequently NPCs use it.

I think Elysium is the only one that supports creation club.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 27, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

for posterity, i have just found out that this mod does exist: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42162

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a "port oldrim mods to SE" guide for dummies sonewhere

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fortunately the way armour works by default, it's nearly completely worthless until you get lots, or heavily perked, anyways. Running around naked vs running around in steel is basically the same thing.

For clarity, each point of armour you have reduces damage by 0.12%.

If you have a full set of steel, with shield, you have 96 armour. Or you reduce damage by about 11%. If the average enemy does 10-20 damage at the time, and you have 200 HP, you will die in 14 hits with no armour class. With a flat 100 armour, you will just survive one extra hit. I don't really find that a big deal.

There's a hidden armour rating of +25 for each slot you have filled, which far exceeds the armour rating of most pieces. As long as you have something in the main slots, you should be fine.

:psyduck: I never even knew this, I just thought "more equals better" and thought my fancy armor mods really broke the game. I guess it's probably a good thing that they're just cosmetic, actually. Now I can just wear what I want and not worry about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It really always felt like armor mattered a lot more than that. How weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Reading about the armor stuff has made me slightly change my opinion about all the various titty armor mods that give like 50 armor for a corset. It isn't all that much more powerful after all!

E: And you can hit the armor cap with hide?

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 28, 2020

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there a "port oldrim mods to SE" guide for dummies sonewhere

For the vast majority of mods it’s as simple as opening them up in the new Creation Kit and then saving. You will need to get the Skyrim SE kit from the Bethesda Launcher unfortunately though. Then just run through Mod Organizer.

For mods that come with textures that need updating, open up the .bsa in Cathedral Assets Optimizer and make sure the “necessary optimizations” are selected.

SKSE mods have to be remade with SKSE64, however. That’s usually the biggest barrier to posting LE mods.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I have half a month off for christmas break and decided to grab SE and mod it a bunch yesterday, everything works well after testing (I'm doing a survival focused modpack) just wondering one thing after spending a fair amount of time combing the OP for cool and good mods. I don't really know if there's a better way to ask this but is there like a non/less-horny alternative to CBBE? Something that's a body/head rework but focused on diversity of different body types and not just babydoll-hourglass for T&A posing? I have racemenu and that does an OK job of filling that gap but I'm wondering if there's a more robust rework for body/head fidelity out there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Susat posted:

I have half a month off for christmas break and decided to grab SE and mod it a bunch yesterday, everything works well after testing (I'm doing a survival focused modpack) just wondering one thing after spending a fair amount of time combing the OP for cool and good mods. I don't really know if there's a better way to ask this but is there like a non/less-horny alternative to CBBE? Something that's a body/head rework but focused on diversity of different body types and not just babydoll-hourglass for T&A posing? I have racemenu and that does an OK job of filling that gap but I'm wondering if there's a more robust rework for body/head fidelity out there.

There was an SE mod that redid the head and body textures but used vanilla bodies, it's in my mod history I'll link it when I get home. I liked the face textures at the time because they weren't barbie doll poo poo. They also reworked male textures too, which can be hard to find in a texture pack.

E: found it, it's probably dated at this point but if you're looking for a fairly good all in one character texture pack this works good, doesn't include new bodies or anything though so yeah.

Total Character Makeover

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 29, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a mod that will let me make my mainhand (or offhand) match equipping my offhand (or main)? Say I got a sword in my main and a spell in my offhand, I can press a button that'll equip the spell in my offhand into my mainhand as well. The reason I want this is the VRIK mod lets me do gestures to swap between stuff, its great but if I want to dual cast I have to pause and equip the spell. And having the gesture equip to both hands means having to reequip my sword with each spell swap.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
While asking about quality of life improvements, is there a method or mod that lets me sort by total stack weight, not individual item weight? I'm starting to get ingredients that have stack sizes in the hundreds, and even if they only weigh 0.05 each it's starting to weigh me down quite a bit. It's also easy to miss something like a bunch of iron bars or pieces of leather when I'm trying to cut down on my weight after returning to town.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

While asking about quality of life improvements, is there a method or mod that lets me sort by total stack weight, not individual item weight? I'm starting to get ingredients that have stack sizes in the hundreds, and even if they only weigh 0.05 each it's starting to weigh me down quite a bit. It's also easy to miss something like a bunch of iron bars or pieces of leather when I'm trying to cut down on my weight after returning to town.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17601

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Leal posted:

Is there a mod that will let me make my mainhand (or offhand) match equipping my offhand (or main)? Say I got a sword in my main and a spell in my offhand, I can press a button that'll equip the spell in my offhand into my mainhand as well. The reason I want this is the VRIK mod lets me do gestures to swap between stuff, its great but if I want to dual cast I have to pause and equip the spell. And having the gesture equip to both hands means having to reequip my sword with each spell swap.

I’m not sure it can do what you need, but your best bet is to look at AH Hotkeys and its macros for equip sets.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

orange juche posted:

There was an SE mod that redid the head and body textures but used vanilla bodies, it's in my mod history I'll link it when I get home. I liked the face textures at the time because they weren't barbie doll poo poo. They also reworked male textures too, which can be hard to find in a texture pack.

E: found it, it's probably dated at this point but if you're looking for a fairly good all in one character texture pack this works good, doesn't include new bodies or anything though so yeah.

Total Character Makeover

Awesome, I think this is a good compromise for what I'm looking for. Not being able to do body stuff isn't a huge dealbreaker. Appreciate the recommendation a ton! I'll try it out soon here.

Also yeah, that was one thing I noticed is that CBBE (and most of the other mods I found) were like.. all female only.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Susat posted:

Awesome, I think this is a good compromise for what I'm looking for. Not being able to do body stuff isn't a huge dealbreaker. Appreciate the recommendation a ton! I'll try it out soon here.

Also yeah, that was one thing I noticed is that CBBE (and most of the other mods I found) were like.. all female only.

I think the ones that change character models have been separated by gender since Oblivion, which makes a certain amount of sense, making a mod that does both is essential twice the amount of work.

The male body replacers can be just as fetishistic and in at least one regard just as anatomically impossible as the female ones. Though they don't feature the variety of body types female ones do, I have yet to see a mod that turns all the male NPCs into androgynous twinks or something.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

I’m Todd Howard’s pay pig and bought Skyrim vr during the steam winter sale. Any must have mods or good modlists?

I have an index if that matters.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Now that I've played, just short runs for trying them out, a good chunk of the wabbajack modlists I fear for the people who maintain them. They're not all bad but the majority of them seem too devoted to trying to cut out fun in the name of modifying systems instead of just enjoying the game as a game. Of course that just means I now want to spend hours upon hours making my own setup and getting it work properly but no way I'm going to put that kind of time in when the most likely result is I'll get it done and then not feel like playing. I guess I'll probably stick with the visual overhaul and treat it as just a replay of the game after years of not having gone through the main story.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ho fan posted:

I’m Todd Howard’s pay pig and bought Skyrim vr during the steam winter sale. Any must have mods or good modlists?

I have an index if that matters.

VRIK cause it puts your body in game which owns. It also lets you do gestures to equip things without needing to open a menu, and you can place weapons on your body which you can then pull from to equip.

Spellsiphon does a few things magic focused. Your main hand shoots out a beam that does some damage and also absorbs and element from what it hits (lightning if its a moving entity, ice if its dead, fire for anything else). Your offhand has a ward that acts like a shield and you can even parry with it, which knocks back your attacker and even slows down time. You can also summon a bound weapon that interacts with whatever element you've absorbed to do different things.

I got a recording here of some gameplay with these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr32WHkHQEg

Weapon Throw lets you throw poo poo, you can also set it to return the weapon back to you like that one super hero. VR Arsenal lets you make kunai and shurikens to throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
folk's,

https://twitter.com/redrawnoxen/status/1344389758202556422