Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
By the ladies, you mean Keqing/Qiqi/Mona? They're not rate up, they're just there to look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah, those three. Shows how much attention I paid :eng99:

least it was just one free ten-pull, not the worst loss. And I got Bennett and Sucrose from the other one, so I'm alright :v:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ciaphas posted:

(e) Where does one process cooking ingredients, like making flour?
At any cooking pot. Icon on the right at the top.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Does 100% in the map mean all chests, hidden by puzzles and exposed have been opened? I definitely feel like I didn't check every nook in Dragonspine, but I guess numbers don't lie?

Does holding Jean's "E" actually do anything other than just let you aim? Why does it have extra stamina consumption, and 5 second max timer?

Also level 3 buff to Festering Desire is disgusting on Keqing, melting pretty much everything in Draconic Pilgrimage

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

100% means roughly 85%. This is true in most regions but is especially pronounced in dragonspine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Taikuri posted:

Does 100% in the map mean all chests, hidden by puzzles and exposed have been opened? I definitely feel like I didn't check every nook in Dragonspine, but I guess numbers don't lie?

Does holding Jean's "E" actually do anything other than just let you aim? Why does it have extra stamina consumption, and 5 second max timer?

Also level 3 buff to Festering Desire is disgusting on Keqing, melting pretty much everything in Draconic Pilgrimage

Its CC, not immediately useful if you are the only person on the field but with a party of other players being able to control units is something that has to be leashed somewhat.

Also you want to be able to aim correctly so that you can do the double fall damage trick. It adds tons of damage to Jean.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I wish Festering Desire was craftable, but I'm also out of sword prototypes so that would drive me insane.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're using klee and jean in the same party, jean can use her hold E to scoop up all of klee's discarded bomblets and fling a first-class airmail packet of warcrimes at some poor hilichurl. this isn't efficient at all but it's really fun, which is what actually matters

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MajorBonnet posted:

At any cooking pot. Icon on the right at the top.

Oh drat, how did I miss that? :doh: Thanks.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Umm. This doesn’t sound right

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-gaming-events-of-2020-that-will-have-the-largest-impact-on-our-future/

quote:

Genshin Impact is an incredibly fun and charming Breath of the Wild clone, but my love for it exists in spite of its predatory microtransactions. Unless you're extremely lucky, new characters cost hundreds of dollars to get and thousands more to fully level up. On paper it's pretty gross, but unlike a lot of free-to-play games Genshin Impact doesn't stop players from enjoying the game unless they pay up. In fact, you could sink hundreds of hours into it without so much as glancing at its in-game store and still have a great time.

I’ll admit their tactics are predatory, but hundreds of dollars to raise and thousands to level up just hasn’t been my experience at all, and I don’t think I’ve been lucky. I mean at this point if you want every five star in the game you probably did have to shell out hundreds of dollars so maybe that’s what they mean. But I have almost every four star and four five stars and I’ve put in probably about 40 bucks, and I’ve had very few lucky rolls.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

They probably think C6 5*s are the only characters worth playing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiterpallasch posted:

if you're using klee and jean in the same party, jean can use her hold E to scoop up all of klee's discarded bomblets and fling a first-class airmail packet of warcrimes at some poor hilichurl. this isn't efficient at all but it's really fun, which is what actually matters

i keep trying to do this, too, but 1 the vacuum feels way too weak and 2 it's kind of a crapshoot whether the bombs actually go where you're pointing. i've had just as much success with it as i've had them flop uselessly at my feet, or go flying in whatever random direction like a crappy shotgun in an fps.

imo jean's ult should pulse damage and swirl on everything in the ring instead of just at the edge, it's not like it's a big damage hit or anything you know? but it would make her ult like an actual 5* ult at least rather than the heal-plus-wet-fart it is right now.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

theblackw0lf posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-gaming-events-of-2020-that-will-have-the-largest-impact-on-our-future/

I’ll admit their tactics are predatory, but hundreds of dollars to raise and thousands to level up just hasn’t been my experience at all, and I don’t think I’ve been lucky. I mean at this point if you want every five star in the game you probably did have to shell out hundreds of dollars so maybe that’s what they mean. But I have almost every four star and four five stars and I’ve put in probably about 40 bucks, and I’ve had very few lucky rolls.

I've put in just under $70 and am missing three standard 5* chars and Venti, have three 5* weapons and all 4* chars + ,a slew of 4* weapons. Folks who had a decent roll at start of game, bought nothing but Welkin, and did dailies consistently should have 4-5 5* units at this point and at least one leveled and geared team. The writer's math doesn't add up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

C6 5* really do take thousands of dollars to get, statistically speaking.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sure, if you don't actually play the game and only login to purchase primos and roll then that's accurate. Not sure if that's the baseline the author of that article should be drawing conclusions from though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Reiterpallasch posted:

I was just fighting the Cryoflower in Abyss last night and I had Jean scoop up all of Klee's bombs just in time for the flower to headbutt me and kill itself

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I rerolled for a 5* and afterwards my account had bottom 10% luck for rolling 5*s (bp+welkin, never got a 5* before soft pity). I still have five 5*s.

If I wanted a sixth however it would indeed cost me ~$125.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 28, 2020

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

No Wave posted:

100% means roughly 85%. This is true in most regions but is especially pronounced in dragonspine.

Huh, I expected something closer to like 95%. I feel a little bit betrayed by map now.

Xun posted:

They probably think C6 5*s are the only characters worth playing

That is definitely what they mean. 100% Constellations easily delete a zero from your bank account total, but just getting all characters is gated only by (a lot of) time for F2P players.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

theblackw0lf posted:

It's also weird in that you can get the 5 star of at least every other event just by doing daily commissions, events, having a full battle pass, and having the blessing of the welkin moon.

At most that's 15 dollars a month. No different from normal subs to MMO's. Granted, this doesn't apply to making sure you get a 5 star's constellation, which absolutely are predatory. Though up until Zhongli came out there really wasn't a reason to go for a 5 star's constellation. Every 5 star before him (and in the case of Albedo, every 5 star since) has been fully self sufficient and top tier in the category of role they're supposed to fill. Heck, depending on how the new HP stat buff that buffs attacks works with Zhongli he may very well be the same way.

Likewise, assuming you were there at the start (and this doesn't apply to everyone) you've got a bunch of free primos that enabled you to get starglitter and star-whatever that ensure you'll always be able to have not only 10-20 free rolls per month on top of the blessing's rolls and the BP's rolls, but also a choice of two 4 star characters.

That being said, if they ever change it so that 5 stars need constellations (Or make a habit of needing lots of constellations to make 4 stars viable.) then fuuuuuck MiHoYo. The entire reason why the system works as it currently is is because constellations are extra to the character itself. Hell, this was part of why the outrage over Zhongli was so bad. Since his C2 and C1 were seemingly necessary to get the most out of him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even Zhongli didn't require constellations, it was just easier for the same people who pushed C6 Childe and are pushing C4+ Ganyu narratives to get purchase because he and his element were legitimately undertuned.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're not familiar with PCgamer, they publish some really stupid poo poo from time to time like missing the entire point of Monster Hunter and said it was like a PETA violation

(The entire lore and point of MHunter is that the monsters you kill are actively destroying the environment, and poaching is forbidden)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It is entirely correct to say that maxing out a character in the game requires thousands of dollars until they implement a system that lets you get constellations for units without having to spend money on them.

In theory, maxing out Shinano, the only Ultra Rare gacha ship in Azur Lane could cost you hundeds, even a thousand bucks to get fully if you had terrible luck. In practice it wont cause all you have to do is pull a single copy and you could then take the 1-2 month to grind out the mats you need to awaken her. This isnt an option in Genshin Impact yet.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 28, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why would they ever implement that... 5* weapons and 5* constellations are how you pay to win in this game. The game is not exactly impossible without them.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

No Wave posted:

I rerolled for a 5* and afterwards my account had bottom 10% luck for rolling 5*s (bp+welkin, never got a 5* before soft pity). I still have five 5*s.

If I wanted a sixth however it would indeed cost me ~$125.

I have not paid anything and have 3 5*s, though I have not received a 5* since mid October. I am at 70 rolls toward the pity timer for the standard banner and 75 rolls on the character banner, so theoretically I could get 2 more just from primo gems reaching hard pity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

If you're not familiar with PCgamer, they publish some really stupid poo poo from time to time like missing the entire point of Monster Hunter and said it was like a PETA violation

(The entire lore and point of MHunter is that the monsters you kill are actively destroying the environment, and poaching is forbidden)

I feel bad when I kill the monsters that aren't even aggressive towards you, though, and I can't imagine that "killing by 1000 dagger slashes over the course of 10-15 minutes" or "repeatedly stabbing an exploding lance into a monster" are the most humane options.

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

lol this is like the 5th song in this game i've heard that has just straight ripped another video game song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VzQlFwLf3A

this is literally just the final fantasy title screen song with some chorus "ooh"s in it

EDIT: still nice songs though

In general the vast majority of music in games (and otherwise) can be directly derived from other existing music in some way, with a lot of the skill and variation just coming from how it's produced. Stuff that might sound complex to laypeople often has a simple core to it that is shared with many other pieces.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 28, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It is entirely correct to say that maxing out a character in the game requires thousands of dollars until they implement a system that lets you get constellations for units without having to spend money on them.

the problem being "correct" is a lower bar here than "misleading" and it's not clearing both. the predatory nature of gacha is worth bringing up but i don't think misinformation is okay.

i suppose it's an incompatibility in what constitutes a maxed character though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the problem being "correct" is a lower bar here than "misleading" and it's not clearing both. the predatory nature of gacha is worth bringing up but i don't think misinformation is okay.

i suppose it's an incompatibility in what constitutes a maxed character though.

No, you're right. I wont consider a characters constellations or weapons refinement when determining whether or not they are maxed out. I would personally love to have the means to at least get constellations because they are locking down some interesting mechanics a character can have behind the gacha and that way I have another thing that can be grinded out over time to "max out" the character. This is a numbers go up game and they locking an important part of it behind whale tier gacha pulling.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
fwiw if gating certain mechanics or upgrades behind whale tiers allows me to play all the non-Abyss content in this reasonably good game without spending more than a subs worth of money per month I am perfectly fine with that arrangement

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

zgrowler2 posted:

fwiw if gating certain mechanics or upgrades behind whale tiers allows me to play all the non-Abyss content in this reasonably good game without spending more than a subs worth of money per month I am perfectly fine with that arrangement

They've made up the entire 3-4 year development cycle after a few weeks of release. I think they can afford to make constellations a bit easier to get.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've made up the entire 3-4 year development cycle after a few weeks of release. I think they can afford to make constellations a bit easier to get.

Oh poo poo yeah, I'm not arguing against that at all, especially in regards to ZL. I'm just stating that I'm grateful for what we have, even if I want it to be better. Lots of "hurr game bad" on reddit extrapolated from what could otherwise be legitimate criticisms of the model.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
On one hand, gating the talent tree behind thousands of dollars sucks, on the other hand you don't actually need any of those skill points to beat any of the hardest content.

PCGamer still sucks though.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I don't really have a problem with how constellations and the game in general is set up. This honestly feels like the least predatory gacha I've played. All the characters are useful in some fashion, function fine out of the box without constellations, and there isn't any content that can't be completed without 5*s.

5*s are guaranteed with a pity timer and without any pay options you're getting a 4* and a half a month at base minimum and in fact way more because of events, new areas, chests, etc. I've played this game for 3 months and spent only google funbux and have 3 5*s all but one of the 4*s and lots of constellations for the 4*s.

Tack on 5, 10, or 15 bucks a month and you're more than doubling the above mentioned number and guaranteeing a 5* every other month or so.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have trouble calling the game non-predatory because it's unbearably cruel to whales. It's quite nice to f2p and light spenders though. If 4*s and 5*s past C6 rerolled into weapons of the equivalent * rating I would feel a lot better about it but I guess the gacha business model is all about squeezing whales by making the last few missing items exponentially more expensive to obtain.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Constellations are fine for 4*s, but it is unreasonable to assume any constellations on a 5*. I wonder if they could just make a generic constellation item that is rare like the talent crowns from events. It seems like it would be somewhat fair in that you could only use it on characters that you have, and if they are rare it is not like the world will be flooded with C6 5 stars.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's lol that the one you're "forced" to craft is the most useless craftable in the game - and it's useless in multiple ways (two spear users in the game none of which are great DPS, low base ATK which is bad for split dmg carries which Zhong and Xiangling are, competes directly with a much better weapon for a niche that doesn't even exist). I wouldn't feel that bad about feeling forced to craft a Starsilver because it's at least not bad on Xinyan and to a lesser extent Razor.

It's worse than animus tho

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ULRHwo2Gs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stormgale posted:

It's worse than animus tho
I think 34.5 physical dmg% is better than 27.6% atk on those two characters, especially Xinyan whose ascension stat is ATK%. Razor it's probably pretty close between the two given Aminus' better passive.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pain of Mind posted:

Constellations are fine for 4*s, but it is unreasonable to assume any constellations on a 5*. I wonder if they could just make a generic constellation item that is rare like the talent crowns from events. It seems like it would be somewhat fair in that you could only use it on characters that you have, and if they are rare it is not like the world will be flooded with C6 5 stars.

If they were really worried about it make a 4* and 5* version of said item. Only give them out through events. This is how other mobile games do deep character investment stuff where you can really go all-in on a character you like but it's going to be a commitment with an opportunity cost.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

I wonder if they could just make a generic constellation item that is rare like the talent crowns from events. It seems like it would be somewhat fair in that you could only use it on characters that you have, and if they are rare it is not like the world will be flooded with C6 5 stars.

Other games have done this and it’s seemed to have worked out fine.

Even if you are only able to get one of the items a month that’s a drat long time to Max a 5*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

This game's rate of SSRs to money spent if you're buying gems is incredibly bad for a gacha. The $50 gem pack with the first time double bonus only gets you 50% of the way to a pity timer, which is absurd. The stamina progression is also very slow and terrible, though I don't think people feel any strong compulsion towards burning thousands of primogems on stamina and it's more of just a "well this game got really lame now that there's nothing to do but wait."

That said it's all tangential to the game actually just being BotW, which is like 90% done at AR 35 and is completely done at AR 40 and doesn't require anything in particular character-wise.