Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I too want to be crushed by sweaty men, but it has nothing to do with commuting to my doodoo-rear end office

I've been able to avoid the man-crush by getting an earlier train. Maybe these dreary people should consider something similar?
I mean, I doubt Sebastian Payne does anything in his office at 9am that he can't do in his office at 7am

/\ /\ /\
The other suggestion is that they realise they're just too boring to dream of anything worthwhile, and it's their rage at knowing this that powers their hatred of anyone who can imagine a world where the commentariat isn't full of dribbling idiots like Julie Burchill.

[edit]
In 161, Liu Bei - a famous general - was born. Given that he fought against the Yellow Turban Rebellion (caused in part by a farming crisis), I have no doubt that his killing of starving peasants would have been warmly applauded by whatever the era-appropriate version of The Spectator would have been.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I think you're reading a bit too literally into her tweet. She's just saying she craves normality after a pretty poo poo and disruptive year, not that she literally wants to be crushed between sweaty men on the tube.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Josef bugman posted:

I really do think that some people don't want to dream because of an inbuilt fear of failure, to the extent that they will accept managed decline because to them failing is worse than dying.

doing things and failing or loving up sometimes are pretty integral to the human experience imo. when I was learning my trade an old guy who taught me some stuff used to say "the only people who never gently caress up are the people who sit on their hands and don't do anything". He was talking about other sparks at the time but I always found it to be applicable in basically every area of life

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ewan posted:

I think you're reading a bit too literally into her tweet. She's just saying she craves normality after a pretty poo poo and disruptive year, not that she literally wants to be crushed between sweaty men on the tube.

She isn’t though, is she, or she’d have wrote something that qualifies what she said. ‘I can’t wait to get back to normal’ isn’t an apolitical statement and also isn’t the same thing when written in a paper as it is to when you say it to your friends. When you pine not for normality, but for the parts of normality that are most woven into (both literally and in the public mind) neoliberal capitalism and its normal operation, in a public forum, you’re deliberately writing to maintain the pre-pandemic status quo. If the point was ‘gee I can’t wait for all this to be over eh?’, why do you think she was given column inches to say it? Why do you think she bothered to write it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The pandemic was the best thing to happen for air quality in London (and a shitload of other places) in decades. Actually wanting to go back to a situation where the air is so bad it's contributing to deaths is pure "Well, I was doing just fine, thank you".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't quite understand what you're asking?

Why was she allowed to write it? Because the pandemic was an attempt to baffle the onset of alternative ideas to the neo liberal status quo exemplified by corbyn's popularity? And these kind of articles are the final course correction delivered to a tired and brow beaten population who've abandoned any attempt at change and now just crave the idea of what their old, easier lives used to be?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't quite understand what you're asking?

Why was she allowed to write it? Because the pandemic was an attempt to baffle the onset of alternative ideas to the neo liberal status quo exemplified by corbyn's popularity? And these kind of articles are the final course correction delivered to a tired and brow beaten population who've abandoned any attempt at change and now just crave the idea of what their old, easier lives used to be?

Are you talking to me? I said if the case was that it was just her saying ‘gee whiz this pandemic sucks eh lads can’t wait to get back to normal’, then it wouldn’t have been worth printing or writing - the questions were for rhetorical effect. I don’t actually need to know why she would have been given column inches to write that article (she wouldn’t because what’s the point?). I understand perfectly well why the article as it is was written and what the intent was.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Are you talking to me? I said if the case was that it was just her saying ‘gee whiz this pandemic sucks eh lads can’t wait to get back to normal’, then it wouldn’t have been worth printing or writing - the questions were for rhetorical effect. I don’t actually need to know why she would have been given column inches to write that article (she wouldn’t because what’s the point?). I understand perfectly well why the article as it is was written and what the intent was.

Why?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We should definitely shoot all the journalists because jesus h christ they are an absolute danger to society.

What an awful society produces such utterly abhorrent people?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

We should definitely shoot all the journalists because jesus h christ they are an absolute danger to society.

Who will report back whether this has been done properly or not though?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jakabite posted:

She isn’t though, is she, or she’d have wrote something that qualifies what she said. ‘I can’t wait to get back to normal’ isn’t an apolitical statement and also isn’t the same thing when written in a paper as it is to when you say it to your friends. When you pine not for normality, but for the parts of normality that are most woven into (both literally and in the public mind) neoliberal capitalism and its normal operation, in a public forum, you’re deliberately writing to maintain the pre-pandemic status quo. If the point was ‘gee I can’t wait for all this to be over eh?’, why do you think she was given column inches to say it? Why do you think she bothered to write it?

What on earth are you on about. No one has given her 'column inches' on this. She has written a light-hearted blog post, parodying the proliferation of "deep" "what have we learned from 2020" saying that she just wants to get back to her miserable but familiar life.

She literally wrote on her blog a list of things that a very typical of normal London life, pining for this return to normality, with a sense of irony in that she listed things you might naturally consider to be a bit poo poo to bring a bit of dark humour, and relatability, to it. It is not some "neoliberal, capitalist" (seriously???) subversive political attack on those that want to see change, or a message designed to undermine the need to improve the many issues this country has. It's literally a lighthearted "2020 was a bit poo poo isn't it, I wish it were back to normal.".

As to "why do you think she bothered to write it"? You can ask the same question about any whimsical Tweet or blog written by anyone, ever.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
it's a light and simple medium post about missing normality: https://youngvulgarian.medium.com/what-ive-learnt-from-2020-795e383a87d

you don't have to rabidly attack every journalist for absolutely everything they do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To say that we must arrange it so that lovely things continue to happen because the author personally likes them is 1. a political statement whether they want it to be or not and 2. exactly 100% in line with what journalists do every other waking moment of their lives.

That they do it about the most miserable, petty things is not particularly surprising nor do I see why I should find it endearing?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
personally I'm completely in favour of ridiculing journalists when their thinkpiece can be boiled down to "the endless grind of capitalism is cool and good actually"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jesus guys. Not everything that someone says or writes that happens to reflect on day-to-day life (or god forbid reflect positively on it) is a secret message placed by our capitalist masters to normalise and celebrate the capitalist status quo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody said it was a secret message she was paid to write, the argument is that she clearly thinks that by herself as evidenced by that being the thing that she wote, presumably voluntarily, and that it is incredibly pathetic.

"I want all this lovely stuff back because I cannot handle things being different" is, simply, a pathetic thing to think. And again is entirely emblematic of the majority of journalistic output.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 28, 2020

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry, thought it was in The Spectator so appreciate that column inches makes no sense. In any case, a privileged and well known journo writing about how awesome all the poo poo things from before were absolutely is advancing a specific line of thought. I’m sure she didn’t sit there wondering how she can suppress the revolution today, but that’s very rarely the case with anyone. She also isn’t, I don’t suspect, a total idiot so will have known that what she was writing fed into a certain way of thinking.

Anyway, god forbid we analyse things written by British (by which I mean in the British political world) political journalists through a political lens in the UK politics thread. Next up we talk about how Julie Burchill’s poem is just an appreciation of Priti Patel’s aesthetics and sick burns AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 28, 2020

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
it's a post about missing having a social life and going out with friends despite the bad things like overcrowded public transport and overpriced drinks. it's not saying the bad things are good

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Okay, who stood in front of a mirror chanting "Melt" three times and summoned them all?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My ignore list cannae take it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ZyrKx posted:

it's a post about missing having a social life and going out with friends despite the bad things like overcrowded public transport and overpriced drinks. it's not saying the bad things are good

No idea where you’re getting that from. She said she wants things to go back to exactly how they were. That is her point. And she isn’t some random person some weird goons have decided to take in bad faith, she’s a very prominent political journalist. And when you’re a very prominent political journalist making the point that you very specifically want to go back not to just ‘having drinks with friends’ or ‘going out’ or whatever, but to ‘exactly how things were’, you’re a dickhead. And if you think that the words of a prominent political journalist shouldn’t be talked about through a political lens in a politics thread then you’re either also a dickhead or just a bit dim.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine looking out at a post-covid future and thinking that instead of using the opportunity to possibly make things better in this country you just want to mash the "back to how it was before" button

whoever said "back to January 2020" is going to be the new "back to 2012" in the minds of centrist dads is bang on

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My mum wanted to come and see me for Xmas but couldn't, she said I hope we can next year. I unfortunately had to laugh in her face for wanting to return to normal, the relic of a dead age.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My mum wanted to come and see me for Xmas but couldn't, she said I hope we can next year. I unfortunately had to laugh in her face for wanting to return to normal, the relic of a dead age.

Did your mum write about how she can’t wait to pay for a pricey ticket on a crowded train to do so then spend loads of money on overpriced stuff with you on her blog as a prominent political journalist? Because if not, gently caress off you disingenuous twat

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dead Goon posted:

Okay, who stood in front of a mirror chanting "Melt" three times and summoned them all?

Now now, I'm sure these people I've never seen before who simultaneously appeared to defend a lovely centrist journo are acting with only the purest motives.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

There was a period right at the beginning of the year when people were panic buying that all of us did at some point think the words "its all so fragile, isn't it?". After that, a lot of people would make the leap and realise that if its so fragile, then that means things can be changed, for better or for worse.

But even I have sort of slipped out of that mode and I'm fully locked into hellworld, without having put on Joker make up, so it doesn't surprise me that the bar is so low that "I want to get back to how poo poo things used to be" is a step up from where we are now in the minds of some people.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Did your mum write about how she can’t wait to pay for a pricey ticket on a crowded train to do so then spend loads of money on overpriced stuff with you on her blog as a prominent political journalist? Because if not, gently caress off you disingenuous twat
Not everything someone writes - even if that person often writes on politics - has political undertones or a political message.

What you are clearly annoyed about is that she didn't use her platform to push a political narrative that you want to see her push (using, frankly, a tenuous link). The lack of advocacy for the message you want to see does not automatically mean that the author is trying to push (directly or indirectly) a counter message. You are over-interpreting what is clearly intended to be a light hearted post. I can guarantee we have already collectively put more thought into "analysing" this than she did in writing it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Ok.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ewan posted:

I can guarantee we have already collectively put more thought into "analysing" this than she did in writing it.

this is not as strong a defence of the piece as you seem to think it is

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Melts in 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbpUMtK77k&t=3509s

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ewan posted:

Not everything someone writes - even if that person often writes on politics - has political undertones or a political message.

What you are clearly annoyed about is that she didn't use her platform to push a political narrative that you want to see her push (using, frankly, a tenuous link). The lack of advocacy for the message you want to see does not automatically mean that the author is trying to push (directly or indirectly) a counter message. You are over-interpreting what is clearly intended to be a light hearted post. I can guarantee we have already collectively put more thought into "analysing" this than she did in writing it.

Literally everything ever written, said or done has political undertones. Now there’s an argument of degrees, and it isn’t worth analysing most things through that lens obviously, but even a political journo’s ‘lighthearted’ posts are fair game IMO. Also you’re literally in a politics thread. Instead of arguing over people not being allowed to talk about a post by a political journalist with extremely obvious political undertones (intentional or not), why not like, make a quality post or something? I’ve only ever seen you come in here to be an annoying melt and then you gently caress off again into the ether.

E: and before anyone says anything I got a score of 0.83 Pissflaps making me a moderately high impact and engaging poster :colbert:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wolfsbane posted:

Now now, I'm sure these people I've never seen before who simultaneously appeared to defend a lovely centrist journo are acting with only the purest motives.

To be fair to Ewan, they actually popped up a few pages ago to defend redefining ASCII in the UK/EU trade agreement.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lets kill them

edit: :twisted:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

WRT whether it's political or not, I would like to direct you all to the finest writings of one of our greatest modern day philosphers: Skin, from Skunk Anansie:

quote:

Yes it's loving political,
Everything's political.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcaUer4fuU8

E: I mean this unironically. Everything that somebody writes, whether they intend it to be or not, is political to some extent. People are a product of their upbringing and their life experiences and their work is a product of that.

Just because it's pushing for the current political "normal" to return doesn't mean it's not political, quite the opposite.

Also Sebastian Payne and Marie La Conte are literally both political journalists.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 28, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ewan posted:

Yes it does. "lack of an ideology" is saying the status quo is fine actually. This is like, the bare minimum of political understanding, my dude.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Miftan posted:

Yes it does. "lack of an ideology" is saying the status quo is fine actually. This is like, the bare minimum of political understanding, my dude.

Yeah exactly.

"Everything is fine as it is" or words to that effect is a very political statement.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hey chat thread, you know some of us read that thread, right?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is a summary so I'm allowed to miss out huge chunks of context but...

I said I did not have sympathy for my mum who was sad about missing out on Xmas and got told to gently caress off you disingenuous twat unless I could prove she had a regular column in a national newspaper.

Ewan posted:

A lighthearted blog post by a mediocre Westminster blogger / freelance journo saying they haven't learnt anything dramatic from 2020 and just want things to return to normal = a political message advocating for a neoliberal capitalist vision of wage slavery and consumerism and anyone that says otherwise is part of the conspiracy.

Come and call us dumbasses to our faces and be prepared to back it up, or shut the gently caress up, you pathetic cowards.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Literally everything ever written, said or done has political undertones. Now there’s an argument of degrees, and it isn’t worth analysing most things through that lens obviously, but even a political journo’s ‘lighthearted’ posts are fair game IMO. Also you’re literally in a politics thread. Instead of arguing over people not being allowed to talk about a post by a political journalist with extremely obvious political undertones (intentional or not), why not like, make a quality post or something? I’ve only ever seen you come in here to be an annoying melt and then you gently caress off again into the ether.

E: and before anyone says anything I got a score of 0.83 Pissflaps making me a moderately high impact and engaging poster :colbert:
I am not saying people aren't allowed to talk about it. I am just arguing (as part of the debate you value) that reading into a pretty non-remarkable blog post pining for normality from a blogger/freelance journo as pushing a capitalist / neoliberal political narrative is ridiculous. If you'd rather everyone just clapped along with your analysis, and don't allow anyone to challenge it, then I don't know what to say really.

Tarnop posted:

To be fair to Ewan, they actually popped up a few pages ago to defend redefining ASCII in the UK/EU trade agreement.
lol. The only thing worth reading in to on that is when I got bored of doing other stuff and logged back in to SA. And I wasn't defending anything, but was again saying that people were putting too much emphasis or reading too far into something largely inconsequential.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
gently caress me UKMT is grumpy tonight. You all need some blue light or some vitamin D or something.

e: In fact I've just submitted what I *think* is my first ever mod report ITT because people are dragging in poo poo from other threads just to keep the drama going.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Greens have just created the gold standard of awkward standoffs.

https://twitter.com/D_Libris/status/1343648991561592834