Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Aisha isn't coming back in season 3, apparently because the writers couldn't find a place for her in their scripts! What the hell? The diminished role she had in season 2 was bad enough.

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-season-3-aisha-robinson-nichole-brown-left-why/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great day in the morning what a trailer!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Aisha isn't coming back in season 3, apparently because the writers couldn't find a place for her in their scripts! What the hell? The diminished role she had in season 2 was bad enough.

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-season-3-aisha-robinson-nichole-brown-left-why/

Like last time this was brought up it very much seems like this stems from something off-screen rather than a production decision.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
You know what happens to snitches...

THEY GET IMMUNITY!

This show is popcorn garbage absolute fun-time greatness, can't wait for the next season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Like last time this was brought up it very much seems like this stems from something off-screen rather than a production decision.

Yeah, seems like she's got some stuff goin' on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

UltraShame posted:

THEY GET IMMUNITY!

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1340437223594979334

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Well there's clearly no mercy in that well-adjusted household.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

UltraShame posted:

THEY GET IMMUNITY!

This show is popcorn garbage absolute fun-time greatness, can't wait for the next season.

You know I don't know much about the writing process of this show, but I feel like a lot of the jokes get added to the script after it gets turned in by someone else, they feel so out of place with the tone of everything else. Like this drama karate show occasionally pauses to have Community type jokes and then continues as if nothing happened. It's not a bad thing, though. At least the jokes usually don't undercut the character moments like in bad Joss Whedon stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lol the immunity line is solid character building though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

The snitch honey pot still going strong I see.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I had my concerns about season 3 but that trailer looks dope as hell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope Chozen is like a regular well adjusted guy and finds the whole "rival karate schools" thing as hilarious as everyone else outside of Reseda.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I dunno, he was the one that turned a festival into a death match

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kunabomber posted:

I dunno, he was the one that turned a festival into a death match

It's true. He comes swinging into the bon dance like he's Scorpion or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. He comes swinging into the bon dance like he's Scorpion or something.

The end of that movie is such a hard left turn into complete violent schlock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
KK2 rules from start to finish.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

:hai:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Anything rules when Peter Cetera's playing.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I kind of want Dmitri and Chris to become unlikely buddy-cops.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
https://twitter.com/CobraKaiSeries/status/1342122864703459330

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nice

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sweet!

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Ready to crack open a horrifying Coors Banquet on NYD.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Least now I know how I'm going to spend my hangover.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Zedd posted:

Least now I know how I'm going to spend my hangover.

Just do some karate and you can literally have the Johnny Lawrence experience.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

It's been said before, but I hope William Zabka starts getting additional roles sometime soon, perhaps with the increased exposure from the Netflix era of the show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
IO9 has a fairly spoiler free review of the new season. If you've avoid reading anything about season 3, maybe skip reading it. Because It mentions a few people that weren't in previous seasons and some very general stuff about the plot. If you've read anything about season 3 or seen the trailers, there is probably no much you don't know in the review.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/cobra-kai-season-3-is-focused-emotional-and-nostalgic-1845906678
Sounds like this is going to be another fun season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sand Monster posted:

It's been said before, but I hope William Zabka starts getting additional roles sometime soon, perhaps with the increased exposure from the Netflix era of the show.

Getting typecast as a high school bully and not being able to shake it for 30+ years must be awful. He's got major chops and should have been a bigger star.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
From the article:

Kreese steps in and starts to bring the dojo back to the “No Mercy” glory of the ‘80s. As that happens, the show also explores more of his character through flashbacks to his time in Vietnam, which ends up being some of the most powerful and revealing content in the entire season.

Ah yiss, shoot this poo poo straight into my veins. Gimmie a full-on deconstruction/reconstruction, just like everything else in this show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm so hyped for this season. I appreciate they kept at least some of the extras/background students from the dojos (they were shown in the previews.) I hope they can get them back for season 4 after over a year between filming seasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Getting typecast as a high school bully and not being able to shake it for 30+ years must be awful. He's got major chops and should have been a bigger star.

Now, now, he also played a college bully. In other words, you're right.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

TheCenturion posted:

From the article:

Kreese steps in and starts to bring the dojo back to the “No Mercy” glory of the ‘80s. As that happens, the show also explores more of his character through flashbacks to his time in Vietnam, which ends up being some of the most powerful and revealing content in the entire season.

Ah yiss, shoot this poo poo straight into my veins. Gimmie a full-on deconstruction/reconstruction, just like everything else in this show.

:stare: holy poo poo yes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rhyno posted:

Sand Monster posted:

Dawgstar posted:

Now, now, he also played a college bully. In other words, you're right.

Yeah, he's really loving good and even in this show demonstrates a lot of range within a relatively narrow defined character.

I could easily picture him playing, say, a cop on The Wire, a crazy drunk uncle type in a Judd Apatow movie or something like a high school football coach in some Friday Night Lights sort of poo poo. What an odd niche for someone to find themselves typecast like he did. His performance in this show so far has been phenomenal though and displayed really impressive depth that I honestly hope opens some doors for him because I can honestly see him pulling off several types of characters.

I think he's far better than Macchio.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Uh... have we been watching the same show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Uh... have we been watching the same show?

Considering everyone else in the thread seems to agree with me I think you must not be.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
AV Club liked S3

https://tv.avclub.com/cobra-kai-karate-chops-its-way-back-to-broad-dumb-fun-1845923404

And also has an interview with Macchio and Zabka

https://tv.avclub.com/ralph-macchio-and-william-zabka-on-cobra-kai-season-3-a-1845954060

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Considering everyone else in the thread seems to agree with me I think you must not be.

Zabka is fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I don't think he's a horrible actor but he's obviously pretty limited, which you can see in season one before the character finds his groove. Keep in mind he's playing a character that's literally written with him in mind, and then go check out anything else he's been in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KSLda6boc

Like, he's good. He's fine. I'm glad they didn't recast him for this role. But he is not "underrated", and in my view he's had a career exactly commensurate with his range. We're not talking about Tony Todd or Jeffrey Combs here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most actors are pretty limited. Opportunity and directors are what make the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

MiddleOne posted:

Most actors are pretty limited. Opportunity and directors are what make the difference.

Hey, Bruce Willis was really good in all of his diverse roles including characters such as *checks notes*... Bruce Willis!

:v:

e: Zabka has done some directing and other behind the scenes stuff too, IIRC, so it's not like he's been doing nothing.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 30, 2020